HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

New York Rangers loaded with firepower at CHL level

Old
05-26-2011, 07:45 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
On numerous occasions you have alluded to getting "reports" from 3rd parties, which you refuse to name (that's fine), on CHL activity... So if you're getting your information second hand, is it your opinion that Edmunson was the best defenseman or someone else's?
mcilrath wasnt the best dman on the moose this season, nor the 2nd best.

both bowman and edmundson had better seasons. ask any moose season ticket holder and they'll confirm that.

morgan rielly is a comer too, hes an explosive offensive talent. so next year big mac might drop to 4th best if he has another so-so season and awful playoff.

2011 WHL Playoffs Moose Jaw Warriors 6 0 0 0 0 15

that would suk

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 07:49 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

both bowman and edmundson had better seasons. ask any moose season ticket holder and they'll confirm that.

morgan rielly is a comer too, hes an explosive offensive talent. so next year big mac might drop to 4th best if he has another so-so season and awful playoff.

that would suk
Didn't he also get star of the game honors in two or three of the games, though? I heard he had a very inconsistent PO, and was fantastic to meh game to game.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:38 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

that would suk
Not arguing that he was, but thanks for the info.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
You spent the better part of the season picking apart elements of the Moose Jaw boxscores, like penalties called and +/-, and talking about what your CHL buddies were telling you, but now you were purchasing the CHL games to watch your most hated Ranger prospect yourself? My 9 year old nephew tells more convincing tall-tales than this.
Ha, ODC gives you the same info I've been giving all season, yet he gets the 'thanks for the info'. I did not like the pick, but I never distort the facts, if you pay attention you'd realize I DON'T HAVE TO.

As for purchasing games, I watched a few 2nd half of the season, early on I waited for the game vs Portland but he got hurt.

Kinda sick about hearing you always refer to 9 yr olds too, but that seems to be your comfort zone, just don't expect me to always reply to your constant nonsense.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont think id say "loaded with firepower" based on what ive read...looks like there is only 1 really high end prospect there, most of the rest are trade fodder and will likely never play for the Rangers

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

As to McIlrath, his numbers really mean nothing, given what he is projected to become--a tough, mean defensive defenseman. It really means watching very carefully. Is he more defensively responsible, how is his balance, coverage, anticipation. Are his penalties smart ones? How's his skating, stickwork? Is he winning fights? Although plus/minus can be somewhat indicative of some of these things, alot depends on his team for that stat. Plus McIlrath was injured for part of the year. Let's see what happens this summer and fall. We'll know more then by October if he is progressing in the way that was projected.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i dont think id say "loaded with firepower" based on what ive read...looks like there is only 1 really high end prospect there, most of the rest are trade fodder and will likely never play for the Rangers
Right now, the organization is very high on Thomas, Horak, and McIlrath.

Old
05-27-2011, 04:04 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
As to McIlrath, his numbers really mean nothing, given what he is projected to become--a tough, mean defensive defenseman. It really means watching very carefully. Is he more defensively responsible, how is his balance, coverage, anticipation. Are his penalties smart ones? How's his skating, stickwork? Is he winning fights? Although plus/minus can be somewhat indicative of some of these things, alot depends on his team for that stat. Plus McIlrath was injured for part of the year. Let's see what happens this summer and fall. We'll know more then by October if he is progressing in the way that was projected.
From the games I watched this season...

Is he more defensively responsible? Not really.

His balance was hard to gauge because of the injury.

Coverage and anticipation? If he improved over those areas from last season, where I would classify it as dreadful, then only minimally. All comes down to decision making and positioning, and he's nowhere near NHL ready in either regard. Reminds me of Garnett Exelby as far as these characteristics are concerned, and that certainly isn't a compliment.

Smart penalties? Eh, varies from game to game, but he definitely has his fair share of unnecessary trips to the box.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:14 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
they really are doing it right ...from the crease out...we got the d men...now come the scorers ...this is going to be fun!.
They are doing it right, and the Rangers have lots of prospects. The only problem is there are too many and only a few seem to have more talent than the others but I'm not sure how wide of a margin that is (in each comparative case), and to what degree do the Rangers top offensive prospects rank with all of the other young guns around the league.

Not to mention, it's to be expected that Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, and Boyle will all be re signed. Throw in Prust, Zuccarello, Avery, and Gaborik, along with the entire pool of prospects, and the upcoming future selections we'll obtain starting next month, and I'm anxiously awaiting to see what Sather is going to do (as far as trades are concerned).

No way we can keep all of these young kids, who are either on the team, in the system, or will be picked in the up and coming drafts.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
What's up with Fasth? He seemed really good in the WJC and put up good numbers for his age in the adult Swedish league.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
What's up with Fasth? He seemed really good in the WJC and put up good numbers for his age in the adult Swedish league.
I wrote another article on the College/Euros, but it was late and has not been posted. If its not, I will write some stuff for the boards. Suffice it to say that Fasth is a very good prospect, but I was speaking only about the CHL prospects in my comments about who the Rangers are high on.

Old
05-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Do they have concerns about Thomas' height? Do they think he can be a 1st line player in the NHL?

And thanks of course for the work you put in Leslie. Much appreciated.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
Do they have concerns about Thomas' height? Do they think he can be a 1st line player in the NHL?
I know the Rangers believe that Thomas has the potential to be an elite player. In my mind, its wait and see as to whether he will be a first line player.

I am really looking forward to development camp, because we will finally get a chance to see how these players have grown over the last year and how they compare to their peers.

Old
05-27-2011, 06:57 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
this i like. those 3, along with the golden boy ck, are the ones to watch.

thomas has a chance to be the shooter we have lacked. i liked skinner last year, i liked jeremy morin and greg mckegg (here comes jonathan ) and i like thomas. i like guys who think shoot first and who can bring it when they pull the trigger. thomas has a finishers mentality and knows where to go to put it on net. and when he gets it on his stick, its gone in a blink. thats the key to scoring. let it go quickly and hit the corners. and all that is something we sorely need.

ive been a horak fan for ever. this kid can skate and has a high end motor. he just competes. i like his 2 way game and his sneaky playmaking ability. cant wait to see him play in camp. i think hes got a bright future ahead as a solid 3c with 2c upside.

mcilrath, well i think we need to be patient. i just hope he's better than someone we could have had later in that draft. like a tinordi, pysyk, forbort or merrill. didnt like the pick then and still dont. time will tell.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
From the games I watched this season...

Is he more defensively responsible? Not really.

His balance was hard to gauge because of the injury.

Coverage and anticipation? If he improved over those areas from last season, where I would classify it as dreadful, then only minimally. All comes down to decision making and positioning, and he's nowhere near NHL ready in either regard. Reminds me of Garnett Exelby as far as these characteristics are concerned, and that certainly isn't a compliment.

Smart penalties? Eh, varies from game to game, but he definitely has his fair share of unnecessary trips to the box.
I wish we took Cam Fowler instead.

Very good article as always Leslie.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
Good article. You think Yogan can recover from a full missing year of development?
Hilk Yogan is my pick to be the steal of the draft l Love this kid and his heart .

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Do you know what they think Horak can top out as?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Can anyone explain this part?:

Quote:
In a break from the past, the Rangers have been signing their CHL prospects significantly ahead of the deadline for doing so.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 10:57 PM
gotmonte

I HATED THE MCILRATH PICK AND I STILL HATE IT.

We passed on Cam Fowler and others but we are trying to draft a Beaukaboom player.

Dont get me wrong, I LOVED BEAUK AND WILL ALWAYS LOVE HIM. But you dont use your 10 pick whenothers are suprisingly on the board at that pick.

I guess you cant tell Sather anything. He wanted toughness, he picked Dylan AND derek Boogaard

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 11:16 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I wish we took Cam Fowler instead.

Very good article as always Leslie.
Cam Fowler you say? Hmm, what an interesting train of thought.....

Tell me more, I'm always up for hearing about ideas that haven't been voiced before......

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:36 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Really excited about Thomas.

I think Yogan is a sleeper as well.

Horak and Mcilrath I'm still on the fence with.

Can't wait until rookie/training camp!

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:29 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
Really excited about Thomas.

I think Yogan is a sleeper as well.

Horak and Mcilrath I'm still on the fence with.

Can't wait until rookie/training camp!
Not to nitpick, but what is there to be on the fence about with Horak? For a 5th round pick he is looking like quite a steal.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:42 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I've been a fan of the McIlrath pick since draft day, I was shocked at the initial announcement but came to love the pick very quickly.

I still stand by the selection, and believe McIlrath's development is far from over. This upcoming season will be very telling. One thing is for sure, he's going to gain a lot of fans at camp this year. I guarantee it.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:51 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
I HATED THE MCILRATH PICK AND I STILL HATE IT.

We passed on Cam Fowler and others but we are trying to draft a Beaukaboom player.

Dont get me wrong, I LOVED BEAUK AND WILL ALWAYS LOVE HIM. But you dont use your 10 pick whenothers are suprisingly on the board at that pick.
I think Beukeboom was the last thing on Sather+Clark's mind when they decided to go with Dylan.

While I'm not a huge fan of the pick, he could very well end up as a more valuable NHL player than Fowler.

Personally, I would have passed on both defensemen. I would have traded up, or down. Picking 10th was an awful spot last draft, imo..

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:54 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I think Beukeboom was the last thing on Sather+Clark's mind when they decided to go with Dylan.

While I'm not a huge fan of the pick, he could very well end up as a more valuable NHL player than Fowler.

Personally, I would have passed on both defensemen. I would have traded up, or down. Picking 10th was an awful spot last draft, imo..
Beuke was definitely the last thing on their mind when they picked McIlrath.

They are still saying Weber like upside.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote