HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The GM debate

Old
05-26-2011, 02:00 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
The Caps suck..
Das Ende. Lets close up the forum.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:26 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
The Caps suck. We/They are an embarrassment under Leonsis, McPhee and Boudreau. It would be incredibly lame to seek solace in what the team that beat you achieved. But lameness is in the air.

The organization is spineless.
Guess its time to pick a new favorite team since the Caps are doomed. DOOMED I TELL YA!

05-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Guess its time to pick a new favorite team since the Caps are doomed. DOOMED I TELL YA!

Not doomed. Their fails are the result of bad choices.

-passionate Caps fans since the late 70s. Maruk!

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 04:58 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
How long before a team wins their respective championship is it to say they are doomed, that there is a black cloud over the team.

50 years? Seems a bit high of a number as 50 f'ing years is a long f'in time no matter how you slice it. We are at, what 37 years. That is obviously too little for the greenhorn fans that plan to live 50 f'ing more years.

Regardless of your perception of what a long time is, I believe at lets say oh 35 years and landing maybe the best player in the world, its dumb to keep building for the future. But its all a matter of perception. Yours is neither right nor wrong.

But Rock on Atlas, its hilarious watching the reactions to your posts.

Bring on the many teams with bigger losing streaks fails from all sports. Are they rebuilding right now too?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 07:09 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
this is about as good a reason as there is to just let it go. besides. There's no conversation and no argument to be made to posts like that.

thanks RH. for pointing that out to me. rock on

Old
05-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Atlas

Quote:

Thanks, buddy. Usiel is cool. I like him. Great mod, always positive. I even like txpd even though I have him on my ignore list. Sorry tx, following your logic makes me crazy.

Some fans are just young and think they've got forever to win it. I was that way in the 90s. There was no doubt that all those #1 draft picks (Peake, Halverson, Gonch, Witt, Allison, Baumgartner, Church, Elomo, Volchkov, ad infinitum) would coalesce into a Cup winner.

Well, actually...

In my "advanced years" it's clear that Leonsis, McPhee and Boudreau are out of their element. But who cares, really? It's just a kid's game, right?

Old
05-26-2011, 08:56 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

at some point, you just have to laugh.

Life is too short not to.

Old
05-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Atlas

Quote:
at some point, you just have to laugh.

Life is too short not to.

Yeah, I totally agree RH. Life is too great to really get unhinged about a hockey team I don't run. I don't imagination my rants will change anybody's mind. But if enough of us complain--and mean it--then maybe Leonsis will wise up one day.

Old
05-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Capitlols

Simple request to GMGM:

If only...

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
How long before a team wins their respective championship is it to say they are doomed, that there is a black cloud over the team.

50 years? Seems a bit high of a number as 50 f'ing years is a long f'in time no matter how you slice it. We are at, what 37 years. That is obviously too little for the greenhorn fans that plan to live 50 f'ing more years.

Regardless of your perception of what a long time is, I believe at lets say oh 35 years and landing maybe the best player in the world, its dumb to keep building for the future. But its all a matter of perception. Yours is neither right nor wrong.

Bring on the many teams with bigger losing streaks fails from all sports. Are they rebuilding right now too?
I'm sorry but the idea that Leonsis, Patrick, McPhee, Boudreau, and whoever else should make decisions about the current team based on the 35+ year history of the franchise and how some long term fans are fed up with waiting for a cup is about the most absurd thing I have ever read.

What has happened outside of the timeframe that directly effects the current team should have no bearing whatsoever on the decision making now. What the heck do failures from 25 years ago have to do with today's team? Nothing.

Do you really expect management to say something along the lines of, 'hey we have a bunch of long term fans who feel because of their long term fandom they are entitled to a cup now so why don't we ditch the current long term plan and just go all in in an effort to get these oh so deserving fans thier cup in the next year or two?' Really...?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 08:33 AM
txpd

unfortunately there is also this idea that the franchises long history of being a playoff choker has no bearing on the current team. that is clearly false. it rides with them every year. when they get a two game lead in the playoffs their history of losing those leads is presented like clock work.

Whether they beat that extra pressure or not is up to them as they did with the Rangers this year, but there is no denying that its an added opponent.

With that in mind winning a cup would essentially kill that demon for the long term. As well as they played this playoffs the demon lives on in San Jose as it would in Washington.

Old
05-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Millhaus

The only playoff results that have any bearing on the current team and any extra pressure they would put on themselves are the ones that involved the members of the current team. The idea that Ovechkin looks back at the brutal '86 2nd round loss to the Rangers and feels extra pressure because of it is also absurd.

I'd put my house on Ovechkin not having any idea what happened in '86 with respect to this team other than they obviously didn't win the cup and he certainly doesn't feel any extra pressure because of something that happened when he wasn't even 1 year old.

Old
05-27-2011, 09:25 AM
txpd

you really miss the point. ovechkin may well not have known about the choking langway's. be sure to know that once the caps made the playoffs and lost to a lower seed and then blew a two game lead to pittsburgh that he knows now. he's been fully versed. that its not just his team that blew a two game playoff lead to a lower seeded team, but that its happened to the capitals more than any other team in best of 7 series sports history. he knows it now.

when the caps had a 3-1 lead vs Montreal, the media brought it right up. he may have dismissed it then, but they lost again. you dont think he hears it the he plays for a loser franchise?

Old
05-27-2011, 09:54 AM
JohnCarlsaurus

Ya, Ovie doesn't have to know the Caps history because there's always at least a dozen or so reporters in face reminding him of it.

I've heard some folks say the local media doesn't put enough pressure on the Caps (the players and the staff) when they lose. I don't really think they need to, since it seems like the national & Canadian media are already giving them enough of that.

JohnCarlsaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
you really miss the point. ovechkin may well not have known about the choking langway's. be sure to know that once the caps made the playoffs and lost to a lower seed and then blew a two game lead to pittsburgh that he knows now. he's been fully versed. that its not just his team that blew a two game playoff lead to a lower seeded team, but that its happened to the capitals more than any other team in best of 7 series sports history. he knows it now.

when the caps had a 3-1 lead vs Montreal, the media brought it right up. he may have dismissed it then, but they lost again. you dont think he hears it the he plays for a loser franchise?
Of course he hears it but that doesn't mean he feels added pressure because of things that happened long before he joined the team. Fans and the media are the only ones who care about that kind of stuff.

Players know their own experiences and what happened in the past, whether good or bad, has no effect outside of having to deal with stupid questions from the media about them.

The answer to 'Ovie the Caps played the Rangers 25 years ago in a first round series. What effect do you think the result of that series will have on this one?' Is the same as to any question concerning things that have happened before he joined the team, no effect whatsoever. And the idea that after so many of the same dumb questions he is going to step back and say, 'hmmm maybe there is something to all this stuff from the past' and put more pressure on himself is ridiculous.

Old
05-27-2011, 12:35 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

i would hope the pressure of playoff failures past would be on management more than the players.

But rest assured that over the course of the past 4 years, playoff failures are already in the back of the players minds. So, 6 of one half dozen of another. They already feel like chokers all by themselves. The key to working through that, starts with the coach. If a coach cant, the GM has to step in one way or another. Bruce didnt do that again this year.

We need a Dale grade move. Someone brought in that will whip the guys into upping their games in the playoffs. The coach is the no brainer one to try. You would think Dick learned that retaining BMurray all those years... really didn't work.

I believe the players are losing confidence in Bruce to guide them to the promised land. if not, how many years of like playoff choke jobs before you change your mind that the players may be thinking that, consciously or not?

Old
05-27-2011, 12:41 PM
txpd

i think that regardless of the quality of his coaching that after 4 playoff fails, a coach that has done it before would be a smart move. i am in favor of that. less so if its another rookie coach. that said, i dont see a coach with a cup that fits the team.

rh, i do feel for you. when mcphee backed up his team by punching out an opposing gm(tallon?) it must a real confidence breaker to find that he has become warm butter over the years.

Old
05-27-2011, 12:48 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
The answer to 'Ovie the Caps played the Rangers 25 years ago in a first round series. What effect do you think the result of that series will have on this one?' Is the same as to any question concerning things that have happened before he joined the team, no effect whatsoever. And the idea that after so many of the same dumb questions he is going to step back and say, 'hmmm maybe there is something to all this stuff from the past' and put more pressure on himself is ridiculous.
I think what you are missing is the basics of it. When the Red Wings get into a good spot in a playoff series, the questions they get are about how they are going to win. When the Caps are in a good spot, its always first, "you guys going to lose again?" "how does your team avoid another embarrassing collapse?" "Ov, you know that you guys always still lose, right?"

If you dont think that takes a toll, then youre not being realistic

Old
05-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think what you are missing is the basics of it. When the Red Wings get into a good spot in a playoff series, the questions they get are about how they are going to win. When the Caps are in a good spot, its always first, "you guys going to lose again?" "how does your team avoid another embarrassing collapse?" "Ov, you know that you guys always still lose, right?"

If you dont think that takes a toll, then youre not being realistic
Why would questions about the past take a toll on the current players? If a professional athlete is going to feel more pressure because of something that occurred 25 years ago and had nothing to do with them they wouldn't have had the gumption to become a professional athlete to begin with.

Do you really think 30 years of failure before him and questions about it from the media is really going to make Ovechkin, or any professional athlete for that matter, start thinking his franchise is jinxed or feel any more pressure than he already puts on himself to succeed?

Ovechkin knows that the team he has played on has lost 4 times in the playoffs now and not gotten out of the 2nd round. He couldn't care less about what happened before he got here nor does he feel any extra pressure because of it.

Old
05-28-2011, 10:10 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Thanks, buddy. Usiel is cool. I like him. Great mod, always positive. I even like txpd even though I have him on my ignore list. Sorry tx, following your logic makes me crazy.

Some fans are just young and think they've got forever to win it. I was that way in the 90s. There was no doubt that all those #1 draft picks (Peake, Halverson, Gonch, Witt, Allison, Baumgartner, Church, Elomo, Volchkov, ad infinitum) would coalesce into a Cup winner.

Well, actually...

In my "advanced years" it's clear that Leonsis, McPhee and Boudreau are out of their element. But who cares, really? It's just a kid's game, right?
We blew a lot of picks in mid to late 80s too. I think Peake would have been great, but he was injury riddled. In the 90s we had lots of picks and didn't bother to trade up or anything. Volchkov, egads what a waste. We obviously don't have forever to win, but we're still young enough to have more chances. In the Ovechkin era, we've wasted picks on Pokulok, Schultz, and Gustafsson so far. Can't win on every draft pick, but that waste of 90s picks, especially when we had those St Louis picks.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 10:20 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Why would questions about the past take a toll on the current players? If a professional athlete is going to feel more pressure because of something that occurred 25 years ago and had nothing to do with them they wouldn't have had the gumption to become a professional athlete to begin with.

Do you really think 30 years of failure before him and questions about it from the media is really going to make Ovechkin, or any professional athlete for that matter, start thinking his franchise is jinxed or feel any more pressure than he already puts on himself to succeed?

Ovechkin knows that the team he has played on has lost 4 times in the playoffs now and not gotten out of the 2nd round. He couldn't care less about what happened before he got here nor does he feel any extra pressure because of it.
I believe each year the professional athletes forget about it and most move on. Us fans, not so much. However, if they are so hungry to win, why skip practices and show up to camp out of shape?

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Icetime

Losers excuses.

Winners ways.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
However, if they are so hungry to win, why skip practices and show up to camp out of shape?
I have no problem asking those same questions and definitely believe the correct tone needs to be set by the coaching staff or team leaders and ideally by both. Sacrifices need to be made and being as Washington Capital needs to stop being so easy. Start doing everything the right way from day one of off season training and carry it all the way into the playoffs. Everyone needs to demand a lot more of themselves because just doing things the same way they have been done for a while now just isn't enough to get it done.

Old
05-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Dirtbag59

Enough with the going off on optional practices. EVERY FREAKING TEAM HOLDS THEM! EVERYONE OF THE 30 TEAMS IN THE NHL AS WELL AS EVERY AHL AFFILIATE! The Pens, Red Wings, Canucks, Blackhawks, Bruins, Flyers, Lightning, even the freaking Rangers. Seriously google optional practice followed by name of any team and you'll find them. A good amount of which are in the playoffs.

There are plenty of adjustments and changes needed in this organization but personally some of the suggestions are absurd. Take the C away from Ovi, change the team name to the Lions, fight every game. My God this is hockey, not pirates, not the African Savannah, and certainly not boxing.

Quote:
Almost all of the regulars stayed off the ice today during the Detroit Red Wings optional practice. But the team was encouraged to see .
Quote:
Photo gallery: optional practice before Game 3
Source: The Bruins Blog - Apr 18, 2010 at 1:12 PM
BOSTON — Shawn Thornton, Tim Thomas and Adam McQuaid joined the Bruins’ scratches for a brief on-ice practice today at TD Garden, while the rest of the team got in some off-ice workouts, soccer and general relaxing on the eve of Game 3 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal series with Buffalo. The Bruins earned a split [..
Quote:
EL SEGUNDO, CALIFORNIA (NEWS1130) - Fresh off Monday night's 5-3 loss in Los Angeles, the Vancouver Canucks held an optional practice today at the Kings' practice facility in El Segundo. However, Vancouver's top players--including the Sedin twins and Ryan Kesler--didn't skate, opting instead for off-ice treatment.
Quote:
The Blackhawks held an optional practice Thursday, and it's no surprise Brian Campbell was one of the 10 participants on the ice. The veteran defenseman has been working tirelessly on skates and in the video room as he tries to turn his game around. After a rough seven-game stretch earlier this month in which Campbell recorded a minus-11 rating while the Hawks went 1-5-1, the 29-year-old seems to have righted the ship, and the team has gone right along with him with two consecutive victories.
Quote:
Practice: Eight Players At Rangers Optional
BY ADAM ROTTER ON FEBRUARY 03, 2011, 10:42AM

Update: 11:14AM

Jesse Spector says that Martin Biron, Ryan McDonagh, Steve Eminger, Michael Sauer, Mats Zuccarello, Brian Boyle, Chris Drury, Erik Christensen and Derek Stepan are on the ice at practice.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 05:32 AM
fsnoles98

GMGM very happy with the season, now.

As it turns out we lost to the runner-up, of the runner-up to the stanley cup champions. Very very good season for the Caps. Everyone keeps their jobs and we do not need to make any player personnel changes due to this outcome.
GMGM's thinking as this time.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote