HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Captain Cally or Captain Dubi? (All Captaincy Discussion)

View Poll Results: Who do you see more fit as Captain?
Callahan 256 78.77%
Dubinsky 69 21.23%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

vCash: 500
Captaincy is not chosen. It happens naturally. A guy just takes the reigns. The team giving him the C is just a formality of something that has already happened.

The same is true for the Rangers. There is no choice here. You can see it; it's Callahan's team. He's already been our captain for a full season. The C is just a formality.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 10:00 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
No I never said I want a team full of Drury's in fact I don't think I ever mentioned his name so thanks for making assumptions.

I said Dubinsky is a little cocky and a touch too immature to be captain. You may want your captain making stupid faces on the bench but I don't, I can handle some swagger and having confidence is a good thing but it shouldn't be taken too far especially in leadership. Could care less about Crosby/Ovechkin they are the face of their franchise of course they got the C.
Ok, and the style the Rangers play is represented no better than a guy like Dubinsky and or Callahan. Gritty and relentless forecheck, 2way, hustle, no give etc. Both would make good captains, except I prefer Dubinsky. I view Callahan more like a Drury. Probably more political in his approach. I want my captain to say it as he see's it. Less reserved. For example, Dubinsky saying Crosby likes to whine a bit much. He's a emotional player. There have and still are plenty of cocky captains in this league. I'm not so sure what you're talking about when you say stupid faces? If Dubi's swagger bothers you than you haven't seen anything yet.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Neither:

C- Staal
A- Cally
A- Dubi
this is what I want too.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 10:38 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Captaincy is not chosen. It happens naturally. A guy just takes the reigns. The team giving him the C is just a formality of something that has already happened.

The same is true for the Rangers. There is no choice here. You can see it; it's Callahan's team. He's already been our captain for a full season. The C is just a formality.
Excellently said.

This thread is starting to really puzzle me. Post after post suggesting that Dubi should be the captain - 90% because he's got "swagger" and 10% because he gives good quotes to the press. What the heck do either of those things have to do with being Captain? I understand that they provide many fans with enjoyment, but that's hardly how I want my team's captain chosen.

I want my team's captain chosen based on his leadership, the respect he commands from the other players, his ability to see the larger picture, remain calm under pressure and do what's best for the team. Yes, confidence is important, but cockiness is not required - and can in fact be a detriment. (And actually, personal confidence isn't that important either - what's really important is the ability to instill confidence in other players.)

There is no question that Dubinsky has more natural talent than Callahan and a more colorful personality than Callahan. And to me, there's no question that Callahan would make a better Captain. As Machinehead pointed out, it seems pretty obvious that he is already well on his way there.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

This is my post from the other thread on Callahan's contract situation, Cally captain, Duby A:

Quote:
I wouldn't want to see Duby as Captain for one reason only. Too much pressure on him. When Callahan and Gaborik were injured, Duby felt a lot of pressure to perform and tried to do too much and failed at it.

I love Duby, don't get me wrong, but i think if he got the Captain role, it would **** up his mindset as he would feel too much pressure and try to do too much. he wouldn't perform the same is all. I could be wrong, but that's just my 2 cents from what I know about Duby

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Vitto79

Guess we assume Drury is gone for sure, lol................Cally C, Dubi A, Staal A

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Ok, and the style the Rangers play is represented no better than a guy like Dubinsky and or Callahan. Gritty and relentless forecheck, 2way, hustle, no give etc. Both would make good captains, except I prefer Dubinsky. I view Callahan more like a Drury. Probably more political in his approach. I want my captain to say it as he see's it. Less reserved. For example, Dubinsky saying Crosby likes to whine a bit much. He's a emotional player. There have and still are plenty of cocky captains in this league. I'm not so sure what you're talking about when you say stupid faces? If Dubi's swagger bothers you than you haven't seen anything yet.
Callahan plays that way 100% of the time, Dubinsky is closer to 75% and the making faces comment was in regards to the game he had his tongue stuck out and eyes bulged on the bench just acting like a child, of course you'll say he was keeping it loose and having fun but like I said I appreciate professionalism and hard work more.

Part of being a Captain is knowing when not to speak your mind, especially if what you say can be turned into motivation by your opponent.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 11:23 PM
3Four3

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
The only reason I can't see him as cocky is because I don't recall a situation where he clearly portrayed that.

I do recall him calling Crosby a baby.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
The only reason I can't see him as cocky is because I don't recall a situation where he clearly portrayed that.

I do recall him calling Crosby a baby.
That's fine that's why I said agree to disagree, people see different characteristics in everyone so without actually them knowing it's impossible to say. He comes off that way to me and I've heard some things from someone who played with him in Anchorage that lead me to believe he's a little full of himself. You don't see it, that's fine.

Old
05-26-2011, 11:49 PM
gotmonte

dubinsky has a huge ego problem. if he was the captain he would SUCK!

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

I think Dubinsky is kind of full of himself, but I kind of like that about him and it steers me closer to wanting him as Captain. I don't find him arrogant to the point where he becomes selfish. But I feel like his arrogance gives him the competence and mental strength to be a leader, and the aggression and emotionality to be a game changer.

This is just an opinion and a preference, though, and not a knock on Callahan. I just kind of like the mouthy, scrappy, snarly type players as Captains, rather than the reserved types.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:04 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Yeah I don't see it either.

Dubinsky is not cocky.
He certainly gave off that impression at a point in his career... Pretty sure Torts addressed it last off-season while speaking about Dubinsky.

Quote:
"With Dubi, he has the physical abilities," said Rangers coach John Tortorella. "He's probably one of our more better-conditioned athletes. It's the mental maturity of handling success, [like] when he has a successful night. [It's] also handling when he has a bad night.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...FVtVAHPJRE2AiL

Last edited by wolfgaze: 05-27-2011 at 12:12 AM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:12 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Also I don't think Callahan is even remotely close to Drury's level of passiveness.

Old
05-27-2011, 12:13 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Also I don't think Callahan is even remotely close to Drury's level of passiveness.
Agreed and he's much more aggressive out on the ice and that can be contagious.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:14 AM
3Four3

Quote:
That's fine that's why I said agree to disagree, people see different characteristics in everyone so without actually them knowing it's impossible to say. He comes off that way to me and I've heard some things from someone who played with him in Anchorage that lead me to believe he's a little full of himself. You don't see it, that's fine.
Compared to other players in this league, Dubinsky is definitely not someone I see on that list. In interviews, he doesn't present himself too highly, doesn't throw players under the bus; as a matter of fact, his interview are too vanilla for me: This was a team effort, we just have to take it game by game, blah-blah-blah.

That's why I don't like going by hearsay alone.

Old
05-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
Compared to other players in this league, Dubinsky is definitely not someone I see on that list. In interviews, he doesn't present himself too highly, doesn't throw players under the bus; as a matter of fact, his interview are too vanilla for me: This was a team effort, we just have to take it game by game, blah-blah-blah.

That's why I don't like going by hearsay alone.
It's not really hearsay he told his team mates in Anchorage that he was "too good to hang out with them" when the scouts started paying attention to him. Sounds like someone a little bit conceded to me.

Old
05-27-2011, 12:49 AM
gotmonte

His interviews he just gives what the PR guys tell him to say (catch phrases.. i.e. "the team" ect ect).

His play on the ice, his attitude on the ice... I just dont like the kid. And lets not forget this cocky ******* holding out on RFA when you have a hard assed coach coming in for his first training camp. You hold out? I know it was for just a short time.. But that rubbed me the wrong way.

If we keep him. No problem. He is a good player. Captain? Not in my eyes. Callahan or bust. But if we are offered a GOOD trade for him? I am not to quick to shut the door or hang the phone up without atleast pondering the trade offer.

If he is Offer Sheeted for BIG money... I will let him go and take the package of picks back. If it is marginally overpriced, sign him. If it is out of range but not out of the park, sign him and trade his high cap hit.

Old
05-27-2011, 01:03 AM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
It's not really hearsay he told his team mates in Anchorage that he was "too good to hang out with them" when the scouts started paying attention to him. Sounds like someone a little bit conceded to me.
hahahaa dude have you ever played a sport in your life. There is absolutely no chance in hell a player of any degree would make the comment of "I'm too good to hang out with them." I played football with kids that went on to high profile d-1 programs and played baseball with kids who got drafted out of high school and not once did anyone ever make those types of comments. Those types of comments are not made haha. **** man a week before Porcello got drafted kids from my school who beat him in the gnt final took him out to eat and had to pay for his meal because he had no money, to this day he remembers that and always leaves tickets for them at yanks games.

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:05 AM
3Four3

Quote:
I don't really care if he took his science exam back in 6th grade and was full of himself thinking he's going to ace it. How do you know these teammates weren't - oh, I don't know - envious?

The kid plays the game emotionally and I've yet to notice a single time where he presents himself as this holier than thou.

I've seen him kiss Zherdev on the helmet. Seen him do the same for Stepan. Someone scores a goal, he gets exuberant for the player. If the goal had some kind of milestone attached to it, he's the one fishing the puck out of the net and presenting it to the player.

I'm seeing him more as a team player than someone who thinks of himself too highly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
His interviews he just gives what the PR guys tell him to say (catch phrases.. i.e. "the team" ect ect).

His play on the ice, his attitude on the ice... I just dont like the kid. And lets not forget this cocky ******* holding out on RFA when you have a hard assed coach coming in for his first training camp. You hold out? I know it was for just a short time.. But that rubbed me the wrong way.
Staal did it too. He didn't miss camp but the dialogue between his agent and Sather also took a while to sort out.

How do we know Sather didn't try to short change both Dubi and Staal?

Old
05-27-2011, 01:13 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I still can't fathom how people dislike him for holding out as a RFA.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:17 AM
OverTheCap

Yes, let's not forget about Dubinsky's holdout, it really defined his career as a Ranger and affected his play on the ice. I've seen him count his money on the ice instead of backchecking!

Messier held out multiple times in his career, once as a Ranger, and I can't forgive him to this day. That bald selfish *******! And he hung out with Gary Coleman in the locker room! So much for being a serious leader.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:23 AM
gotmonte

You have YOUR opinion. I have MINE. I dont ridicule you for yours. Dont go and ridicule me for mine.

I think he is selfish and I dont like the holdout neither. I am not the only one that feels that way. If you want to join Dubinsky's fan club. Go right ahead. You are completely entitled to do so. I will join Callahan's and I am sorry, but I dont like Dubinsky (just on sheer skill, I think he is great. I wont take away his skill from the boy).

Old
05-27-2011, 01:26 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
You guys realize Sather offered Dubi, like, 650k after two 40 point seasons in a row, right? That's a ridiculous lowball offer, and I don't blame Dubinsky for holding out.

As for the OP, it's a very tough choice between the two, and I'd be completely happy with either one, but I'd prefer Dubinsky. He just has that "IT" factor to his attitude and play on the ice that Callahan just doesn't have. Callahan is more like a Doan, while Dubinsky is more like a Lecavalier, in a sense.

05-27-2011, 01:31 AM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
You guys realize Sather offered Dubi, like, 650k after two 40 point seasons in a row, right? That's a ridiculous lowball offer, and I don't blame Dubinsky for holding out.
And I'm not surprised that both Dubi and Staal - or at least the latter's agent - wanted more.

Squandering millions on overrated trash but our core players he tries to be coy. ****ing buffoon.

Old
05-27-2011, 02:52 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post

As for the OP, it's a very tough choice between the two, and I'd be completely happy with either one, but I'd prefer Dubinsky. He just has that "IT" factor to his attitude and play on the ice that Callahan just doesn't have. Callahan is more like a Doan, while Dubinsky is more like a Lecavalier, in a sense.
i really dont agree with this at all. Dubinsky has a tendancy to disappear out there for shifts, entire games, and sometimes entire weeks at a time. Callahan is a difference maker night in, night out, shift in, shift out.

Callahan gets it.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote