HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Most popular sport franchise in Philadelphia

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2011, 12:20 PM
  #76
Ghost of Downie*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
really? are you going to be so naive to think that if the sixers didn't land a superstar(s) they wouldn't become instantly, indisputably more popular? and i wasn't assuming the flyers would be bad, just that the sixers would finally be great.

look at miami, TERRIBLE sports market but the heat are the top dog. marlins suck (won a ws), the dolphins suck (were great for a really long time). heat + superstars = instant success.

it is easy to compare two teams with very strong fan bases (despite your inability to believe that of the sixers) and only talk on the surface numbers. the two teams are in very different parts of their respective cycle. the flyers are contenders, top 5 in the league. the sixers are rebuilding (albeit for a long while) and while the flyers maintain their competitive edge year after year, the same cannot be said for the sixers. it can be argued that it is because basketball is one sport that literally relies on only 1-2 players for your team to be great, thus making it harder to gain that edge. the same cannot be said for the flyers who always remain competitive because the talent is more spread out. lets not get into the goalie controversy though, although that left a nasty taste in a lot of flyers fans mouths (of course they dont post on here)
Yeah, and if the Flyers had Ovechkin, they'd still be more popular than the Sixers with Lebron. Hypotheticals mean nothing. If there are so many Sixers fans waiting to celebrate and that's why you don't hear about the Sixers, I have to question how big these fans are.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
  #77
IAN aka RYAN
Registered User
 
IAN aka RYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Del.Co. PA
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
i dont really watch espn that often. sunday night baseball, mike and mike in the morning, that is about it.

the question is have YOU been watching ESPN? that would actually counter your point because i have never seen so much hockey action on there since the lockout.

seriously guys, it is naive to think the flyers are bigger than the sixers. at this exact moment? maybe because the flyers were supposed to be contenders. if you make every team in the city even in terms of talent and competitiveness it goes down the line just as i said.

if you were to poll a large enough sample size, i would guarantee sixers come out ahead every time.
nfl ratings destroy baseball ratings and it just goes down the list. can anyone find the ratings for the heat-sixers game and the flyers game going on at the same time?
I do watch a lot of ESPN.. and the NBA kills the NHL in terms of coverage. They do hockey, but barely nothing! They only reason they have anything significant now is bc of the PO's. Lets get serious you cant even get a Flyers score on SC during the season unless your watching the ticker on the bottom. Sixers ticket sales compared to Flyers ticket sales are laughable. Yet you think they have more of a following? There was a poll in the DN a bit ago... (of Philadelphians) of the citys most followed team/favorite team/expectations etc. I believe the Flyers topped the Sixers in most of those polls.

Also for good measure:
http://www.examiner.com/opinion-poll...wn-preferences


Last edited by IAN aka RYAN: 05-25-2011 at 03:48 PM.
IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 03:53 PM
  #78
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,178
vCash: 156
High school sports beat the Sixers in a poll.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 04:53 PM
  #79
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Andrew Knoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,306
vCash: 500
Historically I'd say Eagles-Flyers-Phillies-Sixers, Phillies vs Flyers is a tough comparison, could easily be argued in favor the Phillies.

Since about 2007 the Phils have shot up the list and might be the biggest show in town.

I adore the Sixers but they are definitely not more popular than the Flyers. Since the mid 2000s they've been an afterthought playing in a mostly empty building. They were like that for years, too. Unless they've got a dynamic star and a contending team (early 80s, early 2000s) they don't get the same following as the other franchises even when they are just above average.

__________________
Danny Duberstein is good at two things ...
Andrew Knoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:32 AM
  #80
FlyerSithLord
Registered User
 
FlyerSithLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tinicum
Country: United States
Posts: 2,074
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
For me it's Flyers, Phillies,Eagles, Sixers..

However, there's no doubt that the Eagles are still #1.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:05 AM
  #81
trigzter
Registered User
 
trigzter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
To me, Eagles, Flyers, Phils......then Sixers. I watch the Eagles and Flyers religiously. I can't get myself to watch baseball 6 days a week, but I still love my Phils and will watch plenty of games.

In other news, we should perhaps try to swindle Valdez from the Phils, he could just solve the goaltending problem.

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:43 AM
  #82
Cardds
Registered User
 
Cardds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
you called them a dead franchise. i called it fans in limbo waiting for a reason to come out.

to each their own.
I think your argument is irrelevant since you live in NJ. If you lived in the city you'd KNOW that the Flyers are more popular by a long shot. You wanna know why the Sixers seem to get more popular when they're doing well? Because every African American in Philly suddenly awaken and jump on the bandwagon since it's their favorite sport, there I said it.

Cardds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 06:26 AM
  #83
JVR21
G
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardds View Post
I think your argument is irrelevant since you live in NJ. If you lived in the city you'd KNOW that the Flyers are more popular by a long shot. You wanna know why the Sixers seem to get more popular when they're doing well? Because every African American in Philly suddenly awaken and jump on the bandwagon since it's their favorite sport, there I said it.
Ahhh, biggest pet peeve of mine. Just call them black! It's okay! I was discussing hockey with some guys and they kept saying Subban was African American. No, he's Black and he's from Canada. I'm white and I'm from the US. If our society is above racism then we should be able to describe a man using his skin color.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 06:32 AM
  #84
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marlton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN aka RYAN View Post
I do watch a lot of ESPN.. and the NBA kills the NHL in terms of coverage. They do hockey, but barely nothing! They only reason they have anything significant now is bc of the PO's. Lets get serious you cant even get a Flyers score on SC during the season unless your watching the ticker on the bottom. Sixers ticket sales compared to Flyers ticket sales are laughable. Yet you think they have more of a following? There was a poll in the DN a bit ago... (of Philadelphians) of the citys most followed team/favorite team/expectations etc. I believe the Flyers topped the Sixers in most of those polls.

Also for good measure:
http://www.examiner.com/opinion-poll...wn-preferences
NBA dominates coverage, however you never see the Sixers on an ESPN broadcast for more than 30 seconds unless they are playing the Heat/Lakers/Celtics, etc.

The NBA is the perfect sports coverage sport. The game is easy to follow at the basic level and their stars probably have the most recongnizable faces to the casual sports fan. The stars make the NBA what it is. Even a team like the Heat will lose all kinds of support as soon as LeBron would leave. Plus, you gotta make sure there are at least 3 or 5 slam dunks on the top 10 each day.

What I like about the NHL is that the traditional markets NEVER forget their teams. Yeah, every NHL team has bandwagon teams, but markets like Philly, Boston, etc will always have a decent fanbase.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 06:34 AM
  #85
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marlton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Ahhh, biggest pet peeve of mine. Just call them black! It's okay! I was discussing hockey with some guys and they kept saying Subban was African American. No, he's Black and he's from Canada. I'm white and I'm from the US. If our society is above racism then we should be able to describe a man using his skin color.
African Canadian?

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:12 PM
  #86
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,721
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd say Flyers have the most die-hard, non fair-weather fans easily. Phillies are probably the most popular, but one bad season and they will go back to being at the bottom of the list. Eagles dominate the radio and TV so I guess they might be the most popular though. I'd say it's close between Phillies and Eagles for most popular, Flyers #3 and Sixers #4. Like I said though, Flyers have the most "real" fans.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:23 AM
  #87
spudnick
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
First of all I'm Canadian so I am probably not the best to give input but what is so interesting that people actaully watch baseball and basketball? I can kinda see basketball with the dunks but thats about it. Baseball? common, is there really a more boring sport to watch???? I mean seriously. How can someone actually sit through an entire baseball game? I went to one baseball game in my life and it was the year the Bluejays won the world series and I can honestly say I could not wait to leave, my god I felt like jabbing hot needles in my eyes and if not for the beer would have probably went for a nap. I love hockey because its fast, physical, beautiful passes, goals and saves and some fights. Football is hard hitting but too slow 5 second play followed by 30 second huddle but I can see why people like it. Basketball is back and forth with nice plays but no physical aspect, a foul for touching another player. Baseball BORING.

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:17 PM
  #88
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
First of all I'm Canadian so I am probably not the best to give input but what is so interesting that people actaully watch baseball and basketball? I can kinda see basketball with the dunks but thats about it. Baseball? common, is there really a more boring sport to watch???? I mean seriously. How can someone actually sit through an entire baseball game? I went to one baseball game in my life and it was the year the Bluejays won the world series and I can honestly say I could not wait to leave, my god I felt like jabbing hot needles in my eyes and if not for the beer would have probably went for a nap. I love hockey because its fast, physical, beautiful passes, goals and saves and some fights. Football is hard hitting but too slow 5 second play followed by 30 second huddle but I can see why people like it. Basketball is back and forth with nice plays but no physical aspect, a foul for touching another player. Baseball BORING.
And this ^^^^ is coming from a guy whose country loves Curling.

Seriously, I love hockey and its fast pace the most, but as an American I grew up with and still enjoy the laid back game of Baseball... Not everything has to be a breakneck speed, all out slug-fest in life. I love the ballads as well as the fast rock tracks... I enjoy the mystery and dramas along with the action and comedy films... I spend the romantic evenings at home along with time all nights parties... I relish subtle gourmet dinners as well s hot spicy food... I think you can catch my drift.

To everything there is season under the Sun.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:56 PM
  #89
trigzter
Registered User
 
trigzter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
What's a more boring sport than baseball? Its called soccer, or football outside of north america. It often involves kicking the ball back and forth for 90 minutes, while testing every players endurance individually. Games often end 1-0. Very boring

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:33 PM
  #90
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Eagles Flyers Phillies and I couldn't care less about basketball.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 05:29 PM
  #91
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Okay, here's the thing... Went to the Collingswood NJ May Fair street festival today walked the fair back and forth and was observant of the Philly Sports teams being represented by the shirts and caps... and dog accessories... There were assorted outside of area miscellaneous sports team attire amounting to nothing to speak of... Of the Philly Area teams there were only two represented -- swear to God that is my honest and unbiased observation -- The Phillies dominated but the Flyers were really not that far behind... I'd say that it was fairly close with the baseball season in and the Flyers out of the Playoffs tipping the scales... I had a Phillies 2010 Playoff Cap on rather than one of my Flyers Caps because is baseball time and I rocked the Orange for many months. My dogs had both Flyers and Phillies collars and leashes between the two.

The interesting competition was between the old '70s-early '90s burgundy 'P' vs the current '93-present 'P' that is a retro takeoff anyway... Seems a majority of the young 30-40 year olds rocked the burgundy as a homage to their team they were raised with.

No Eagles nor Sixers garb was spotted by me... I did see a baby in a Cleveland Browns bib and a dude in a Miami Heat jersey though.

I still say that the Eagles are number one in the Philly area... but they sure are being less and less represented in South Jersey these days.

Sawdalite, reporting from the Southern side of the Garden State.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 07:06 PM
  #92
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer
 
GirouxGiroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 0
The argument that "if the Sixers were one of the best teams in the country, they'd be more popular than the Flyers," is stupid.

It's not like the Flyers have been reeling off championships and have a huge bandwagon. They haven't won a cup in my lifetime. They were the worst team in the NHL just a few years ago. And it's not like the Sixers haven't made the playoffs recently.

1. Phillies
2. Eagles

3. Flyers

4. Sixers
5. Union

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 07:08 PM
  #93
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer
 
GirouxGiroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd say Flyers have the most die-hard, non fair-weather fans easily. Phillies are probably the most popular, but one bad season and they will go back to being at the bottom of the list. Eagles dominate the radio and TV so I guess they might be the most popular though. I'd say it's close between Phillies and Eagles for most popular, Flyers #3 and Sixers #4. Like I said though, Flyers have the most "real" fans.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 07:28 PM
  #94
JCameron418
Registered User
 
JCameron418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,448
vCash: 500
Eagles are the most popular franchise in Philly without a doubt.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.