HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXII (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2011, 03:38 PM
skule123

vCash: 500
Also, congratulations to Boston on winning game 6, apparently!

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/aro...erence-champs/

Credit to @Drdougmartin and the linked site

Old
05-26-2011, 03:56 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by skule123 View Post
Also, congratulations to Boston on winning game 6, apparently!

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/aro...erence-champs/

Credit to @Drdougmartin and the linked site
Now that's a jinxer

Old
05-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Protest the Hero

Will Horton receive punishment from his little buddies father?

Old
05-26-2011, 04:44 PM
JohnLennon

No suspension... obvious. The Bruins get away with everything!

Old
05-26-2011, 05:51 PM
la25ecoupe

What did Horton do?

Old
05-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Protest the Hero

Sprayed water at a fan then threw the water bottle at him.

Old
05-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
What did Horton do?

btw, for those interested, there is an episode live on Discovery Channel about Concussions (talking about Crosby and hockey).

Old
05-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
Strong hockey play.

Seriously, talk about an automatic suspension (that won't be applied ofc). But what do you expect from them? They throw sucker punches and what not when they lose and it's a positive because they're showing emotion and they never receive any sort of penalty for it (I'm not talking about absolutely meaningless 2/5/10 min penalties with 30 sec left in a game where you're down by 2+ goals).

It's pretty funny to read the comments on that youtube, with tons of Bruins fans telling how TB fans are classless. Who the hell threw junk on their own ice after a loss...?

Old
05-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50

You can see Horton grab the water bottle here.

Old
05-26-2011, 08:25 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post

You can see Horton grab the water bottle here.
If someone can turn the noise maker into a pacifier we have a winner.

Old
05-26-2011, 09:35 PM
skule123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post

Seriously, talk about an automatic suspension (that won't be applied ofc).
It's interesting to read comments from the NHL's head of discipline the last time this happened. (credit @beakermania)
Quote:
New York Rangers Coach John Tortorella has been suspended one game by the NHL for squirting a fan with water and throwing a water bottle into the crowd Friday night at Verizon Center.

Tortorella will miss today's Game 6 at Madison Square Garden, where the Rangers will be aiming to close out the Washington Capitals.

"While it is a difficult decision to suspend a coach at this point in a playoff series, it has been made clear to all of our players, coaches and other bench personnel that the National Hockey League cannot -- and will not -- tolerate any physical contact with fans," league disciplinarian Colin Campbell said in a statement last night. "We do not take this action lightly."

"That investigation revealed that Mr. Tortorella squirted a fan with water before Mr. Tortorella was doused with a beverage," Campbell's statement continued. "While, in these circumstances, it always is easy to allege mitigating circumstances, the fact is we do not tolerate contact with our fans in this manner."

Before the season, the league issued a memo to league personnel regarding contact with fans. The memo read, in part: "Even where a fan is verbally abusive, intoxicated, or profane, club personnel should either ignore the conduct or, where appropriate, seek the assistance of police or security personnel at the arena."
What's different? Why is Horton not subject to the league memo? It says that mitigating circumstances are not an excuse, and he failed to follow the memo-specified protocol, in flagrant disregard for Mr. Campbell's own directives.

Old
05-26-2011, 09:42 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
It's interesting to read comments from the NHL's head of discipline the last time this happened. (credit @beakermania)

What's different? Why is Horton not subject to the league memo? It says that mitigating circumstances are not an excuse, and he failed to follow the memo-specified protocol, in flagrant disregard for Mr. Campbell's own directives.
I would love to see a major news organization call out this friendly special treatment Boston has been getting.

Old
05-26-2011, 09:58 PM
habsrule22

if this special treatment those Ruins have been getting this season. is not address this off season and it continues next season it will really become a complete joke ( if not already)

Old
05-26-2011, 10:25 PM
sheed36

I just noticed it but that "Boston Player Sprays Lightning Fan and Throw Bottle at Them" thread on the Stanley Cup Playoff board here is pure gold..

I'm surprised the mods have let that crapfest go on as long as it as TBH but it sure made for some fun reading..

Old
05-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Anodyne

Quote:

One alleged difference I've heard thrown around is "the clarity of video evidence," which is total bunkum. There is zero discrepancy between the Horton and Tortorella incidents. At any rate, Bill Daly does not expect "any action of any kind." Not even a fine.

Old
05-27-2011, 12:19 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
christ horton is such a ****...

that organization really sucks any and all respect out of it's players don't they...

Old
05-27-2011, 12:29 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
campbel's little boy plays for boston..there's the difference

Old
05-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Protest the Hero

He actually threw the water bottle at the guy too, so anyone claiming "it was just a little water" is wrong.

I'm not arguing the guy is going to be hospitalized or anything from a plastic water bottle, but how do you let a single team get away with so many temper tantrums?

Old
05-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
He actually threw the water bottle at the guy too, so anyone claiming "it was just a little water" is wrong.

I'm not arguing the guy is going to be hospitalized or anything from a plastic water bottle, but how do you let a single team get away with so many temper tantrums?
They did it so many times without being punished, they would not even understand why if it happened, neither would their fans. For them it's just normal, and temper tantrums are a positive because it shows emotion.

Old
05-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post

It's not even all the "illegal" things they do/did. It's the sucker punches from behind (Lucic on Komi and others) and the punching while someone is down (see the fight fest earlier this year) that annoys me the most. They often do it if they are way up or way behind at the end of the game.

Old
05-27-2011, 08:14 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
It's not even all the "illegal" things they do/did. It's the sucker punches from behind (Lucic on Komi and others) and the punching while someone is down (see the fight fest earlier this year) that annoys me the most. They often do it if they are way up or way behind at the end of the game.
The Bruins seem to act like a Jr B team at times, with the foolishness after the whistles etc. I would think that the league would be more on top of this, but...The Lightning win game 7 and none of this matters...not that it matters who wins tonight, the East will not win the Cup again this year, the Nucks look too strong...

Old
05-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Maxpac

I'm more embarrassed of the comments I'm reading here then the incident itself. The players were bombarded with water bottles and that idiot Tampa Bat who got splashed probably was calling the players *******, chokers and whatnot, 2 sec after they got comebacked in a association finales game. In my world, if you pick on somebody, you assume the consequences that come with it. Horton is an idiot, but he didn't deserve anything that time.

Old
05-27-2011, 08:24 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I'm more embarrassed of the comments I'm reading here then the incident itself. The players were bombarded with water bottles and that idiot Tampa Bat who got splashed probably was calling the players *******, chokers and whatnot, 2 sec after they got comebacked in a association finales game. In my world, if you pick on somebody, you assume the consequences that come with it. Horton is an idiot, but he didn't deserve anything that time.
That's not the point. Whether you think the fan got what was coming to him or not is irrelevant. The fact is that by suspending Tortarella for virtually the same thing (in a playoff elimination game), the NHL had set a precedent...which they now seem to be ignoring. That's what I think most people are taking issue with.

Old
05-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Ummm no.

They are proffesional atheletes in an arena of fans who pay there mutli million dollar salaries. Obviously if fans take it over the limit players should defend themselves, but your telling me that fans should be assaulted if they call them names & verbally abuse them?
Cmon man, get real. If that bothers an athlete at this point, they should just quit. Its a sign of being immature & lacks respect.

Just like when Price gestured to that fan in Boston a few years back while coming on the bench. People were calling it immature & embarassing just because he "gestured" that he was going to hit him. I thought it was dumb on his part. Just like i think this is.

Old
05-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
They're paid millions to play in front of hostile fans that will scream them names. And it is made very clear to them not to touch them under any circumstance. If the fan punched him in the face, I could understand Horton doing something to defend himself. But calling him names or whatever the hell he was screaming? That's called losing it, and there should be consequences. But the Bruins haven't had any consequence for losing it the whole year, so why should it start now right?

The main issue though that I have, and most others I think too, is the precedent with Tortorella, which was practically the exact same thing in a situation that was nearly as critical (elimination game, which NYR failed to win and got eliminated the one after, who knows what would've happened with Tort there? likely the same outcome, but the whole thing would've been different so who knows?). And he was suspended because the rule was very clear according to Campbell.

Why is it not very clear in Horton's case? Why do I have the feeling that if it was Lecavalier he'd be out?

Closed Thread