HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign Joonas Nättinen to a 3 year contract

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-26-2011, 04:14 PM
  #76
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Well I think it's safe to assume that he'll never be a big time scorer...but maybe he can still improve as a checking line center. He's certainly got the frame for it and judging from the few games I saw, he's responsible in his own zone, strong on faceoffs and can chip in offensively.

if he can keep rounding out his game, we could have a very good checking center...

Not every player drafted is drafted with the intention or hope that they're gonna be Hall of Famers or scoring line/top 6 type of players. You need all types of players to have a successful team.

Furthermore, it didn't seem like he had a very big role offensively on his SM-liga team this year...so expecting him to put up big numbers maybe be too much to ask. We'll get a better idea of his ceiling in the years to come.
Well when you said not many people believe in a prospect improving I assumed you meant not many believe that he'll improve to be something more than a future fringe player.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 04:15 PM
  #77
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'd say if you know how Engqvist plays, he's basically him with less offense and speed.
I find Nattinen actually looks a bit faster, especially his first step, or lateral movement. Maybe it's more fair to say that he plays the game at a bit slower pace; solid and methodical. Definitely less offensive instincts/tools than Engqvist though.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 04:26 PM
  #78
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Boris Le Tigre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: More Toast !
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 5,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Not all Scandinavians are the same. Racist.
Finns are not Scandinavians ...

Here to help

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 04:35 PM
  #79
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
Finns are not Scandinavians ...

Here to help
Ooy yes. The Nordic vs Scandinavian card comes out! Well played, indeed.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 06:10 PM
  #80
Habskrieg
Registered User
 
Habskrieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 3,611
vCash: 500
While I'm curious to see what he'll bring as a defensive minded center. I can already see people wondering why we took him. Because we all know only scoring goals matters. People will just see him as a Pyatt #2, but with better size and less speed. I hope he turns out good for us.

Habskrieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 06:41 PM
  #81
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,951
vCash: 500
He's a "meh" prospect in my books, so I'm unfazed on the excitement-meter for this one.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 07:22 PM
  #82
Guilliam
Registered User
 
Guilliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I find Nattinen actually looks a bit faster, especially his first step, or lateral movement. Maybe it's more fair to say that he plays the game at a bit slower pace; solid and methodical. Definitely less offensive instincts/tools than Engqvist though.
I'd also say Naatinen plays a more physical game than Engqvist...

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 08:05 PM
  #83
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton18Horton View Post
I recognize the name, but have never seen him play. Can anyone give me a basic idea on what type of player he is?
I can only go by what I saw in the world juniors. He reminds me alot of engqvist but with more edge. He was launching himself like a grenade against the americans in the world juniors

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 08:47 PM
  #84
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I'd also say Naatinen plays a more physical game than Engqvist...
He definitely seems to initiate more contact wherever he goes, so I'm inclined to agree. Engqvist seems more about passively making himself a big obstacle, while Nattinen skates at guys.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 08:49 AM
  #85
Flambergius
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
About players developing around and after 20th year.

I don't know that much about Nättinen, but from what I have seen I haven't gotten the feel that he is a bad skater these days. At least nothing like looking awkward on his skates, or having bad balance. The reputation is there, of course, but that might come from pre-draft era, when more people were looking at him. Just speculating, but Finns generally tend to be very raw physically compared to North American players at draft age. That's because of different approaches to developing young players, Finns do a lot less strength work at a young age then NA players do. Nättinen at draft age probably didn't have anywhere near the explosive leg strength that NA player of his size would have had and that would have shown up as slow skating.

I think Nättinen also had a leg injury (iirc) and I think he also did his compulsory military service. It is very likely that he has done significantly less strength/speed work than most prospects coming into Habs system as 20 year-olds. I think there is pretty good chance that Nättinen can improve his skating a good deal in the Habs system.

Flambergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 09:51 AM
  #86
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Boris Le Tigre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: More Toast !
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 5,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Ooy yes. The Nordic vs Scandinavian card comes out! Well played, indeed.
I have countless hours of unnecessary PBS broadcasts to thank for that tidbit of information.

I couldn't resist the chance to endulge my tendency for dweebyness.

I know nothing about this guy... but I do like the Swede prospect Enqvist. He's a gooder.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 11:42 AM
  #87
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,562
vCash: 500
Hope Nättinen can fight well...

Mathradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 11:55 AM
  #88
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
I have countless hours of unnecessary PBS broadcasts to thank for that tidbit of information.

I couldn't resist the chance to endulge my tendency for dweebyness.

I know nothing about this guy... but I do like the Swede prospect Enqvist. He's a gooder.
Well actually there Norm the Finns are more closely related ethnically and linguistically to the Hungarians and Estonians on account of their common ancestry from northern Asia, even though they are culturally much closer to the true Scandinavian countries having been a part of Sweden's Baltic empire for many years.


TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:12 PM
  #89
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Hope Nättinen can fight well...
No, no he can't.

How many European players do you know who can fight well ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:48 PM
  #90
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Boris Le Tigre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: More Toast !
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 5,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
Well actually there Norm the Finns are more closely related ethnically and linguistically to the Hungarians and Estonians on account of their common ancestry from northern Asia, even though they are culturally much closer to the true Scandinavian countries having been a part of Sweden's Baltic empire for many years.

I could here Cliffy's voice reading that.

... everyone knows someone like that. Awesome.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:57 PM
  #91
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,968
vCash: 500
who?

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:14 PM
  #92
habsrule22
Registered User
 
habsrule22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Powassan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,648
vCash: 500
with Engqvist and Nättinen being very similar players. Doesn t this point that most likely that Engqvist will given every opportunity to be the Habs 4 th line center. He did well when he was called up. Having both Engqvist and Nättinen in Hamilton next year may not make sense.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:15 PM
  #93
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
with Engqvist and Nättinen being very similar players. Doesn t this point that most likely that Engqvist will given every opportunity to be the Habs 4 th line center. He did well when he was called up. Having both Engqvist and Nättinen in Hamilton next year may not make sense.
why is that?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:38 PM
  #94
habsrule22
Registered User
 
habsrule22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Powassan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,648
vCash: 500
Having 2 centers playing the same role. The development of one of the players would suffer. Probably have Boyd, Dumont, Leblanc , fortier and Engqvist and Nättinen as centerman in hamilton next year.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:01 PM
  #95
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Having 2 centers playing the same role. The development of one of the players would suffer. Probably have Boyd, Dumont, Leblanc , fortier and Engqvist and Nättinen as centerman in hamilton next year.
First off, I don't think they'd have the "same roles" necessarily. I mean, down in Hamilton Engqvist would be no lower than 3rd line, while Nattinen would almost certainly be 4th line, so there's a major role difference right there - natural and therefore expected. Secondly, Engqvist could actually be used in a pinch on a second powerplay unit, while Nattinen would almost certainly be penalty-kill if anything. And finally, both of these guys have flipped back and forth between centre and wing over the years, so who's to say that they both necessarily end up being centres in North American hockey? Maybe one of them proves to be more valuable on the wing in this style of hockey, who knows.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:19 PM
  #96
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambergius View Post
About players developing around and after 20th year.

I don't know that much about Nättinen, but from what I have seen I haven't gotten the feel that he is a bad skater these days. At least nothing like looking awkward on his skates, or having bad balance. The reputation is there, of course, but that might come from pre-draft era, when more people were looking at him. Just speculating, but Finns generally tend to be very raw physically compared to North American players at draft age. That's because of different approaches to developing young players, Finns do a lot less strength work at a young age then NA players do. Nättinen at draft age probably didn't have anywhere near the explosive leg strength that NA player of his size would have had and that would have shown up as slow skating.

I think Nättinen also had a leg injury (iirc) and I think he also did his compulsory military service. It is very likely that he has done significantly less strength/speed work than most prospects coming into Habs system as 20 year-olds. I think there is pretty good chance that Nättinen can improve his skating a good deal in the Habs system.
That's good to hear, I hope he has improved his skating, for me I will get a better feel for him once he's in Hamilton. Since Saku the Habs haven't had much like with the Finns, but if he can turn into a solid two way RH center for us that excells on the PK then that would be a solid addition down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
with Engqvist and Nättinen being very similar players. Doesn t this point that most likely that Engqvist will given every opportunity to be the Habs 4 th line center. He did well when he was called up. Having both Engqvist and Nättinen in Hamilton next year may not make sense.
I do wonder what the the plan will be for Engqvist, would he be happy to be in the AHL again next year? He makes only 65K so he likely took a solid pay cut this year so that could sting as he knows he can make more back home but after getting a taste of the NHL he might see that he's close. Then the question is, how close is he? He's got the size, strength and defensive game as well as being good on draws but he's not quick, overly mobile and his offensive game still needs improvement on the small ice. I had hoped for more offense from him this year but he was better defensively then I thought he would be, what a great PKer he was for the Dogs.

Perhaps the Habs could opt to keep him around as a spare next year, I assume Halpern is gone but not sure if they are ready to turn it over to Engqvist just yet, that said perhaps he could stick as a spare and it would give us depth down the middle depending on how the roster shakes out from now till start of season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
why is that?
I see them as twins, very smiliar styles and likeness imo, granted it may mean nothing. I know that after the Habs were bounced, JM was in Hamilton and he spoke highly of Engqvist in between periods. Not saying that means anything at all but with Fortier, Engqvist, Nattinen and Masse plus Leblanc, it is interesting to see what will happen. Will Nattinen even be in Hamilton? Will Engqvist surprise and make the Habs? They can always move someone to the wing, just that both are known for being good in the face-off circle, but would be interesting to see if that's what the Habs have in mind or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Having 2 centers playing the same role. The development of one of the players would suffer. Probably have Boyd, Dumont, Leblanc , fortier and Engqvist and Nättinen as centerman in hamilton next year.
I'd be surprised if Boyd is back, Dumont I would keep on the wing, I could see them going with a line of Conboy Fortier Dumont next year, three hard workers with some grit and sandpaper on the wings, good in their own end and speedy.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:26 PM
  #97
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I see them as twins, very smiliar styles and likeness imo, granted it may mean nothing. I know that after the Habs were bounced, JM was in Hamilton and he spoke highly of Engqvist in between periods. Not saying that means anything at all but with Fortier, Engqvist, Nattinen and Masse plus Leblanc, it is interesting to see what will happen. Will Nattinen even be in Hamilton? Will Engqvist surprise and make the Habs? They can always move someone to the wing, just that both are known for being good in the face-off circle, but would be interesting to see if that's what the Habs have in mind or not.
I agree, but I don't think it's important to know that right now...what's important is to get the best talent signed and into the pipeline. Who plays with who, where, when, etc will get sorted out in due time.

At least, that's the way i see it

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:28 PM
  #98
habsrule22
Registered User
 
habsrule22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Powassan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,648
vCash: 500
Unless there a veteran that dirt cheap and good at pk n face offs.It wouldn t surprise me if Engqvist isn t given every chance to make team next year as the 4 th center. His big, good pk, face offs. I didn t hear him singled out for bad play the times he was called up. They have White to fall back on if it doesn t work out. Then they can always trade for 1 later.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:36 PM
  #99
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Unless there a veteran that dirt cheap and good at pk n face offs.It wouldn t surprise me if Engqvist isn t given every chance to make team next year as the 4 th center. His big, good pk, face offs. I didn t hear him singled out for bad play the times he was called up. They have White to fall back on if it doesn t work out. Then they can always trade for 1 later.
I think that was the idea when they brought him over, give him 1 year to get acclimated to North American hockey, and have him challenge for a spot the following year.

But he'll have to make significant gains in quickeness IMO...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 05:13 PM
  #100
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
with Engqvist and Nättinen being very similar players. Doesn t this point that most likely that Engqvist will given every opportunity to be the Habs 4 th line center. He did well when he was called up. Having both Engqvist and Nättinen in Hamilton next year may not make sense.
couldn't Nattinen just be moved to the wing? or whichever one is weaker on the face offs. Really having two large defensively responsible players on a 3rd line, one with some offence couldn't hurt

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.