HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 3) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2011, 06:36 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
McNeil seems like the player I will be getting the most behind. I REALLY like Zibanejad as well but I think there is NO chance he is around past the top-10.

Nieto, Grimaldi(I know he is rising, but I think he will fall on draft day), Saad, Rask in the 2nd!!

Old
05-26-2011, 07:45 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Its quiet in this thread the last few days.

Old
05-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Are the Rangers picking #15 still, or have they traded up?

Old
05-26-2011, 08:05 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
Are the Rangers picking #15 still, or have they traded up?
Picking 15th, they won't trade up unless somebody drops on draft day.

Old
05-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Picking 15th, they won't trade up unless somebody drops on draft day.
Do you have any idea of who they would pick, assuming everyone gets drafted as planned (which won't happen)?

Old
05-26-2011, 08:19 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Do you have any idea of who they would pick, assuming everyone gets drafted as planned (which won't happen)?
Sven Bartschi, Mark McNeil, Mark Schiefele, and Tyler Biggs seem to be about right, considering the direction the Rangers have taken things within the organization.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
05-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Sven Bartschi, Mark McNeil, Mark Schiefele, and Tyler Biggs seem to be about right, considering the direction the Rangers have taken things within the organization.
Thanks, I just looked up the names: all forwards. That's good, considering we have a lot of D depth.

Quick question: Why is Biggs in the USHL while all the others are in the OHL? Also, why did Biggs only play 20 games? It seems kind of low.

Old
05-26-2011, 08:55 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Thanks, I just looked up the names: all forwards. That's good, considering we have a lot of D depth.

Quick question: Why is Biggs in the USHL while all the others are in the OHL? Also, why did Biggs only play 20 games? It seems kind of low.
Biggs is committed to Miami-Ohio, which is why he plays in the USHL. If he played OHL, he would lose his NCAA eligibility.

Old
05-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Biggs is committed to Miami-Ohio, which is why he plays in the USHL. If he played OHL, he would lose his NCAA eligibility.
So, you need to play in either the OHL or NCAA, but cannot play in both?

Old
05-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Mark Schiefele is my pick. Silky hands, lanky frame, defensive awareness, playmaking.

This guys got some upside. I can see him as a good 2nd line center.

Old
05-27-2011, 05:35 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
Mark Schiefele is my pick. Silky hands, lanky frame, defensive awareness, playmaking.

This guys got some upside. I can see him as a good 2nd line center.
Mine, too, (as you can see from my avatar). But, I've seen reports that he may even have 1st line center upside, and that, in five years from now, he's player in this draft where people look back and wonder how he only went middle of the 1st round.

Old
05-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Great depth for sure, but I think O'Reilly is their 3rd line center moving forward. I know he didn't have a great year, but he's well suited for that role.

Leetch and Zubov? Who?

If they feel like one of EJ / Larsson can play the left side as a right handed shot, then I think it's a good selection. However, if they aren't comfortable with that idea, I don't think the gap between Klefbom and Larsson is so significant that you'd regret it in the long run. I just look at that the group of wingers currently in their organization, and I feel like they're at a great position to take Landeskog.
Yeah, its very hard to predict.

Larsson is a very solid prospect. If threated right I think its very likely that he will peak as a top 3-10 D. If he is kind of hanged out to dry (like some young D's are from time to time after being drafted by worthless teams and forced to play under heavy fire for a long time), at worst I think you are looking at a top 20-30 D.

But he could use another year in Sweden to add muscle. And it will take some time before he becomes a diffrence maker. With a high pick, you want something to show for it right away et c. And your dream of course is to get a franchise player.

Old
05-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Mine, too, (as you can see from my avatar). But, I've seen reports that he may even have 1st line center upside, and that, in five years from now, he's player in this draft where people look back and wonder how he only went middle of the 1st round.
I personally think he has 1st line upside. I love kids that can make the most of an opportunity when it's presented to them, and Scheifele has done just that. He verbally committed to Cornell, but opted for the OHL when he realized he had the opportunity to seize a serious role with Barrie. He just seems to relish any chance he has to prove people wrong and to take his game to a level people didn't think he could reach.

One of my favorite quotes from his coach, Dale Hawerchuk:

Quote:
“I think there are a lot of parts [of his game that he needs to work on]. He’s got good size, he’s got very good hands. He’s going to get bigger, he’s going to become a better skater, and he’s going to get stronger. He has all the raw materials, but most of all I like that he has the mental makeup to make the best of everything.
..read the rest. I dare you not to be excited about everything in the article.

The kid definitely has all the tools to be a very good player in the NHL. I love his ability to work along the boards, win a battle, and instantly his head is up and reading the play. Once he fills out, he's going to be very, very tough for d-men to handle.

My worry is that his excellent showing with Canada is going to push him out of our reach.

Old
05-27-2011, 08:48 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Know what, edit.

I like Scheifele.

I like any of Zibanejad (preferred), McNeill, Khokhlachev, and Scheifele.

Any of them I'll be happy.

Scheifele reminds me a little of Toews. Not the best at anything. Good at just about everything.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 05-27-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old
05-27-2011, 09:16 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I personally think he has 1st line upside. I love kids that can make the most of an opportunity when it's presented to them, and Scheifele has done just that. He verbally committed to Cornell, but opted for the OHL when he realized he had the opportunity to seize a serious role with Barrie. He just seems to relish any chance he has to prove people wrong and to take his game to a level people didn't think he could reach.

One of my favorite quotes from his coach, Dale Hawerchuk:

..read the rest. I dare you not to be excited about everything in the article.

The kid definitely has all the tools to be a very good player in the NHL. I love his ability to work along the boards, win a battle, and instantly his head is up and reading the play. Once he fills out, he's going to be very, very tough for d-men to handle.

My worry is that his excellent showing with Canada is going to push him out of our reach.
I love this quote from Hawerchuk -

Quote:
Hes accepted it and hes the kind of guy that just gravitates to that kind of pressure.
I think part of the ability of being a #1 center is that mindset Hawerchuk describes. That also fits in with the mindset of Cally, Dubi, Staal, Stepan and the rest. And, yeah, that makes me want the kid even more as our selection.

Old
05-27-2011, 09:19 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I had a dream about a month ago, that a player whose last name begins with 'S' lead us to the Cup.

Still prefer Zibanejad, though!

Old
05-27-2011, 09:21 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

if we can move up, theres a chance to grab Scheifele.

im afraid if we stay put at 15, he will be gonzo.

hes got alot of positive buzz right now and there will be teams looking at him closely.

he is one of the guys that i would move up to get however.

Old
05-27-2011, 09:40 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
if we can move up, theres a chance to grab Scheifele.

im afraid if we stay put at 15, he will be gonzo.

hes got alot of positive buzz right now and there will be teams looking at him closely.

he is one of the guys that i would move up to get however.
IMO, if the Rangers can get to 10, (the Wild's spot), there's a good chance they'll get a quality center with #1 potential - one of Strome, Zibanejad or Scheifele...getting past the morass of Calgary/Carolina is key.

Old
05-27-2011, 09:50 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Here's how to do it:

Colorado has two picks #2 (Larsson) and #11.

They have Duchene and Stastny as #1 and #2 centers. Will they really be looking to draft one of these centers? Armia will be there at #15.

Trade #15, #45, and a *player to Colorado to move up to #11.

Then, trade #11 and a *player to Minnesota to move from #11 to #10.

*player = not a core NHL player, and not a top prospect. It can be a B-level prospect or non core NHL player.

Hold onto #57.

Old
05-27-2011, 10:05 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
IMO, if the Rangers can get to 10, (the Wild's spot), there's a good chance they'll get a quality center with #1 potential - one of Strome, Zibanejad or Scheifele...getting past the morass of Calgary/Carolina is key.
i will take strome over both those guys all day every day. hes more of a distributor and passer than scorer but he can still snipe it. i just like this kids wheels and smarts- hes got very high on ice smarts. very instinctive kid. and i like his right handed shot.

iss has him at 9 right now which is perfect for us to make a move on him.

best skater = strome
best dangler = strome
best stick handler = strome
best creator = strome

if theres a chance to get strome we gotta do it. hes got legit 1c potential - certainly 2c skill with out a doubt, over those other 2 guys whom i like alot too btw.

i see strome as perhaps a matt duchene type pivot.

hes certainly more dynamic than stepan and anisimov. hes a true playmaking speed centerman that is exactly what we need to go along with the crafty stepan and the hard working arty.

Old
05-27-2011, 10:12 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Not sure Strome will drop low enough for us to get him.

But, i agree, i'd take Strome over any of those other guys.

Old
05-27-2011, 01:44 PM
NaturalIce

I see strome topping out with weiss like production. You can however argue that on a better team weiss could be a better player.

I don't think strome ends up being an elite player, but an average 1st line center.

This is not meant to be a knock on him at all. Average 1st line center does not mean average hockey player, and if you can get an average 1st line center by moving up to the ten spot, that's a steal.

Old
05-27-2011, 04:49 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I think Strome's upside is higher then Weiss. However, id take Weiss and run.

I feel he's pretty underrated and a little underappreciated because he's with the Panthers.

He would've been our best player this year.

Old
05-27-2011, 04:58 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Kinda OT:
Kreider at the B's game tonight. Posted on twitter: "Let's Go B's"

I know it shouldn't, but that kind of irks me to be honest
I realize he's a kid and that was his team growing up, but it bothers me a little
probably over thinking it, but from day 1 I haven't be convinced he's been incredibly thrilled to be a Ranger, and that worries me

i know, im crazy though

edit: posted this in the wrong thread sorry guys

Last edited by DrSutton*: 05-27-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old
05-27-2011, 05:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Every player grew up a fan of some team.

I could care less if he cheers for them now. As long as he's helping us beat them in the future.

Closed Thread