HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ROOT SPORTS Pittsburgh Broadcast Changes?

Old
05-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Freeptop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
Maybe something like this?

I don't know... that might still be too small

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Pretty sure there was already a thread on this as we had discussed it in detail........
Oh, really? I looked for one and couldn't find, that's why I started this thread, if I would have known there was a thread about this, I wouldn't have posted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
This rumor was started by Mark Madden, who likely heard it from the same sources that told him that Pat Burns was going to replace Michel Therrien as head coach of the Penguins during the 2008-2009 season.

So you might want to take that rumor with a rather large grain of salt.
Yeah, I understand Madden started the rumor. Even though Madden is an a**hole, he is right about some things when it comes to the Penguins. This is just a rumor, but it's a rumor that makes sense! Lemieux has said we are a high class organization and we should have a high class announcer. Emrick's heart is here, maybe Madden is right about this.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
I'm a big Doc fan...I'd even take him over Lange at this point.

Lange's a lot like Larry King. He was a beast in his hayday but has deteriorated as he's got older and would be a bit of a disappointment imo.

Plus I love Mike Emrick has a million words for pass and one for a shot.

"Crosby floats one over to Malkin, who relays it back to Letang, who quickly pushes it back to Malkin. Malkin cycles it down low to Sid who flips it over to Staal who DRIVES it on net. Rebound to Sid with the DRIVE and Malkin DRIVES home the rebound!"

That's all I want to hear on a continuous loop.
Me too man, me too.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Rakunitz23

Why do we even need Steiggy or Doc? Bob Errey can carry a broadcast all by himself. I know that 3 ass= 1 goal, but I want to know what else equals 1 goal. If he had the full 2.5 hours to speak, I think we would find out some wonderful things.

Rakunitz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Jag68Sid87

Not sure but I THINK the rings given to broadcasters, equipment staff, trainers, etc. are not exactly the same as the ones for the players. Can't confirm but I believe that to be true.

In any case, yes it's a nice gesture for owners to give rings to specific personnel and what not, BUT there is a specific rule in place for players having certain criteria to get a ring. It seems not right for a player who was on the ice for a specific team to not get one, but then rings are made special for personnel.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Jonjmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Why would a broadcaster get a ring?? That makes absolutely no sense and sounds like BS to me. Even if Steigerwald does suck elephant balls.

I don't want to get my hopes up on this but when I hear both contracts are expiring and Doc has some type of connection to Pittsburgh, it's hard to not let the imagination run wild with thoughts of actual decent play calling, and God forbid... a lack of idiotic anecdotes and statements. Also I think it would be more fun to count the number of times we hear "DRIIIIVE!" per game and rant about that then genuinely have feelings of disrespect and loathing for the guy calling the play. Emrick would be great, and I agree probably better than Lange ultimately. But either is infinitely better than Steigerwald.

Also no idea why, if he got the boot from TV, Steigerwald would get Lange's PBP job on the radio, which by all accounts he's done a great job with. My wife listens to him on XM on the way home from work and says she almost doesn't want to switch mid-game because the difference is so jarring.

Either he's going to stay put or he's going to be gone from Penguins broadcasting IMO. Unless Lange is retiring which I've heard nothing to suggest that.
He wouldn't. The radio jobs are selected by the team, and they wanted Lange. Steigerwald, if he isn't renewed by Root, would most likely be offered a job by the team in the front office, probably marketing. That's where he began with the Pens organization as marketing director when he was, I believe, only 25.

Jonjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Jaded-Fan

People do not seem to understand how the business game works.

If ratings went down then these guys make changes. The opposite happened. He was hired and by 2008 'Ratings (had) skyrocketed during Steigerwald's two-year run and he enjoys the complete support of the FSN hierarchy'

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08201/898137-194.stm

. . . and he got a new multi-year contract. None of that has changed. The excs know that they could put Bobo the Monkey as broadcaster and pay him in bannnas and people would still watch in droves. I just do not see the incentive here for them to make a change that would cost them a lot more money.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:49 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
People do not seem to understand how the business game works.

If ratings went down then these guys make changes. The opposite happened. He was hired and by 2008 'Ratings (had) skyrocketed during Steigerwald's two-year run and he enjoys the complete support of the FSN hierarchy'

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08201/898137-194.stm

. . . and he got a new multi-year contract. None of that has changed. The excs know that they could put Bobo the Monkey as broadcaster and pay him in bannnas and people would still watch in droves. I just do not see the incentive here for them to make a change that would cost them a lot more money.
Right, but I think the ratings definitely have a big coorelation to how the team is performing. The Pens have gradually risen in popularity since 2008... I think we could have a pretty awful announcer and most folks would still tune in.

You raise a good point though - if the ratings are fine then why bother changing anything?

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Right, but I think the ratings definitely have a big coorelation to how the team is performing. The Pens have gradually risen in popularity since 2008... I think we could have a pretty awful announcer and most folks would still tune in.

You raise a good point though - if the ratings are fine then why bother changing anything?
Oh no doubt Steigy is not the reason people are watching in droves. Malkin, Crosby, winning, etc. are the driving forces. The point is that he is not effecting the ratings one way or another.

By the way, I wonder how a poll between Steigy and Bobo the Monkey as far as broadcasting abilities would fare?

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Jag68Sid87

So Steigerwald, not Crosby, was the key to the ratings spike. Who knew???

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs4853 View Post
Oh, really? I looked for one and couldn't find, that's why I started this thread, if I would have known there was a thread about this, I wouldn't have posted it.

Yeah, I understand Madden started the rumor. Even though Madden is an a**hole, he is right about some things when it comes to the Penguins. This is just a rumor, but it's a rumor that makes sense! Lemieux has said we are a high class organization and we should have a high class announcer. Emrick's heart is here, maybe Madden is right about this.
Actually, no, the rumor doesn't make much sense. The rumor stated that the reason for bringing in Emerick was to increase their national presence. Which is pretty much nonsensical on the face of it:
1) The Penguins already get loads of national attention - they are always one of the teams with the max number of national games broadcasted.
2) Who they have as their local broadcaster isn't going to make a lick of difference for their "national presence".
3) The Penguins don't employ the broadcasters at Root Sports. Only the radio announcers. Sure, they probably have influence there, but since it wouldn't be the Penguins' money being spent there, that influence only goes so far.

Now, add to that the fact that Mike Emerick would cost a whole lot more money than re-signing Steigerwald would - Root Sports is already bringing in the highest regional ratings for hockey in the country with Steigerwald - what's their motivation to change?

Really, there's no real reason to make a move like this one.

As for Madden being right about some things - when it comes to rumors, I've yet to hear him get something right that wasn't reported somewhere else first. Reporting "Kovalev to the Pens" doesn't count, since according to Madden, it would have happened several years ago.

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:08 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Oh no doubt Steigy is not the reason people are watching in droves. Malkin, Crosby, winning, etc. are the driving forces. The point is that he is not effecting the ratings one way or another.

By the way, I wonder how a poll between Steigy and Bobo the Monkey as far as broadcasting abilities would fare?

Bobo 100-0.

Seriously though..

I do have a lot of respect for Steiggy... he is a great student of the game and is a great steward of Pens history... but his announcing skills leave a lot to be desired when you look across the league. Also, I think his homerism sometimes kind of dumbs down the casual fan (around Pittsburgh) because Steigy loves going off on tangents rather than actually calling the game.

I have been watching a lot of the Canucks games and the CBC/TSN broadcasts have such a professional feel to them. You really understand whats going on a lot better than the typical FSN broadcast.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 01:46 PM
87isgod

Lange was an all time great and forgive me if I'm not at the game I watch it on tv so I rarely ever catch the radio..but how does everyone forget the last couple years lange was on tv he sounded like he was a 12 pack deep..guy sounded bombed I don't want him back keep him where he is.

87isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
Actually, no, the rumor doesn't make much sense. The rumor stated that the reason for bringing in Emerick was to increase their national presence. Which is pretty much nonsensical on the face of it:
1) The Penguins already get loads of national attention - they are always one of the teams with the max number of national games broadcasted.
2) Who they have as their local broadcaster isn't going to make a lick of difference for their "national presence".
3) The Penguins don't employ the broadcasters at Root Sports. Only the radio announcers. Sure, they probably have influence there, but since it wouldn't be the Penguins' money being spent there, that influence only goes so far.

Now, add to that the fact that Mike Emerick would cost a whole lot more money than re-signing Steigerwald would - Root Sports is already bringing in the highest regional ratings for hockey in the country with Steigerwald - what's their motivation to change?

Really, there's no real reason to make a move like this one.

As for Madden being right about some things - when it comes to rumors, I've yet to hear him get something right that wasn't reported somewhere else first. Reporting "Kovalev to the Pens" doesn't count, since according to Madden, it would have happened several years ago.
I didn't say it made sense in terms of ratings, or Root Sports needing a replacement. What I meant was that it makes sense for Emrick because of his ties with Pittsburgh. I don't think a move is needed but I mean, if Emrick wants to come to Pittsburgh, I don't think Root Sports would turn him down.

And I don't really listen to Madden that much, and he's usually a jack*ss most of the time anyways, but I remember I was listening the day before the 2010 NHL free agency period began and he said "You know, I would really like us to sign Zbynek Michalek, he plays good hockey and would be a great fit for the Pens." And we signed him the next day and I never heard a Michalek to Pens rumor other than from Mark Madden. Now that wasn't a rumor, it was more like Madden's opinion, but still, he got it right. lol

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 07:56 PM
clefty
What?

Ratings are up, Steiggy's a good company man, there's absolutely no reason for Root to enact an expensive shake up. It will not happen.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 08:40 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakunitz23 View Post
Why do we even need Steiggy or Doc? Bob Errey can carry a broadcast all by himself. I know that 3 ass= 1 goal, but I want to know what else equals 1 goal. If he had the full 2.5 hours to speak, I think we would find out some wonderful things.
I agree. I've watched Errey on NHL-Network providing his analysis and thoughts on things (I.E. these playoffs) on different shows. I've always enjoyed watching him discuss things by himself as I've always found him to be very intelligent, and insightful. Plus he can explain things in such a way that you get the point of what he means, whether your a diehard hockey freak or a casual fan.

The problem is he lets Steigy's toolbag-ism get the best of him which can then lead to him getting distracted. And then we all know what happens after that....

It's like giving a naturally hyperactive kid... a ******** of sugar.

Just my $0.02

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Could you all imagine a Lange & Doc pairing.

Why can't we have both?

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Long toss on to Malkin

Crosses

Walks in

Backhander

SCORES

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 10:59 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Could you all imagine a Lange & Doc pairing.

Why can't we have both?
It's the same reason that Sid and Malkin shouldn't play together full-time. They play the same position.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:11 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooki Stackhouse View Post
Long toss on to Malkin

Crosses

Walks in

Backhander

SCORES
Classic. I'll remember that for a long long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wASO_4IvXNU

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:39 AM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs4853 View Post
"You know, I would really like us to sign Zbynek Michalek, he plays good hockey and would be a great fit for the Pens." And we signed him the next day and I never heard a Michalek to Pens rumor other than from Mark Madden. Now that wasn't a rumor, it was more like Madden's opinion, but still, he got it right. lol
I guess I'm equally qualified for correctly predicting we'd sign Paul Thompson?

Old
05-28-2011, 12:41 AM
SomeDude

Ill echo the sentimate that id love to have lange back, but its just not realistic, plus from what I heard this year (plus the fact the fact it seems the pens are pushing mears) leads me to believe he's not long for the broadcasting world.

Plus, theres the fact that this seems to stem from madden, who is as unreliable as they come. I can see both sides: for root, ratings are great and there is no dire need for a change. The point madden made in his article is that root may feel, from some pressure from the team, and from the fact that they are in a marquee market that they should have a top flight play-by-play guy.

We'll see next year if hes right, I for one hope he is. I think steigy was a good color guy and would flourish in a potash role. No doubt he loves the city and team, but he flat out sucks at pbp.

Errey really is a strong guy, he flat out knows the game if youve seeb him on nhl network. I think hed be great with a better broadcaster

Last edited by SomeDude: 05-28-2011 at 12:51 AM.
SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Errey would be better with a more professional BPB guy because his impulse to say random **** would be curbed IMO. Steigerwald is a horrible influence on Errey, always going off on pointless tangents and giving opinions nobody values or wants. ... so bring in Doc and keep Errey? Fine with it. Bring in Doc and replace with Lange (assuming Steigerdunce goes to radio and Lange is OK being a color guy)? Fine with it. Bring in Doc and some other guy from Vs (there were a couple new guys this year that weren't bad). Fine with it.

Just get Steigerwald the **** out.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 09:15 PM
clefty
What?

When I used to listen to games on the radio ten years ago, Bob Errey was always really straightforward and quite brutally honest in fact. And he was like that when he first got to TV as well with Mike Lange in Edzo's place.

I remember the season opener in 2002, where we lost to Toronto 6-0 and gave up, like four 2 on 1 goals with the defenseman doing the absolute wrong thing on every one of them and Errey viciously slamming the defense corps. His exact quote on the last one was "Well Steiggy, I think I'm going to throw up."

During the pre-game the next game, he asked Ian Moran (snicker) how you should play a 2 on 1 as a defenseman. Moran gives a fairly spot on answer, and Bibs is like "Well, thats not what you did against the Leafs." It was awkward, but kind of awesome.

It seems like as the team's gotten better, Bibs has gone a bit haywire.

Old
05-28-2011, 09:23 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Errey was on the radio a few days ago and he was awesome to listen to. Guy obviously knows his stuff and he had a lot of good insight into the Cooke situation, Malkin, etc.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote