HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Off-season Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2011, 10:42 AM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
OMG is this dude for real? Why is it that the off season brings out the most clueless posts?

Carry on, I'll make a big bowl of popcorn and wait.

Old
05-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post

Should Briere really be drinking with one his children?

On a related note does anyone else think Two and a Half Men should be replaced by a show about Briere, Giroux, and Briere's kids

Old
05-27-2011, 10:55 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
Ok, I see now, I wasn't necessarily wrong in what I posted, your comment was just discounting any point I might have been making.
And yet you can't refute the statement that Richards has won at every level (except the NHL, yet).

U17 Worlds Gold
U18 Worlds Gold and Gold
U20 Worlds Gold and Silver
Memorial Cup Champion
Calder Cup Champion
Olympic Gold

Or was he named to those teams by accident? I suppose that's possible; there are so few Canadian players to choose from when Hockey Canada makes their selections.

Old
05-27-2011, 10:56 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
Should Briere really be drinking with one his children?

On a related note does anyone else think Two and a Half Men should be replaced by a show about Briere, Giroux, and Briere's kids

Wait... who the hell is drinking the Bud Light? #wimp

Old
05-27-2011, 11:29 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
And yet you can't refute the statement that Richards has won at every level (except the NHL, yet).

U17 Worlds Gold
U18 Worlds Gold and Gold
U20 Worlds Gold and Silver
Memorial Cup Champion
Calder Cup Champion
Olympic Gold

Or was he named to those teams by accident? I suppose that's possible; there are so few Canadian players to choose from when Hockey Canada makes their selections.
Yeah but CG, he WAS the last cut along with that other slacker Toews. That has to mean something

Old
05-27-2011, 11:41 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
As a Captain:

Your turn. Is there anything you like about Richards as C or as a player? Please share.
What I like about Richards is that, at times, he can display game changing efforts, whether it's a timely hit that sets a tone and tilts the ice toward the Flyers or using a Hurculean effort to make a play that ends up in a goal. It seems to me that he used to bring these types of efforts more consistently a few years ago. I also like that he is willing to drop the gloves and defend his teammates and the team's honor, even against bigger guys. Shows a lot of guts. I also like his versatility, being able to play lots of minutes, in all sitautions (PK, PP, ES, 4x4) and on any line. He's an adept passer and shooter.

As captain, well, I like it most when he raises his efforts and leads by example on the ice with strong efforts on every shift and making the smart, simple play. Again, I don't think we've seen that as consistently as in years past. The off ice stuff I can deal with if he's bringing it every night on the ice. I think if Mike gets healthy and matures a bit, finds his game and has fun again, like you said, there's a good chance of him leading the team to something special. I'd love to see it!

Old
05-27-2011, 11:45 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

Wait... who the hell is drinking the Bud Light? #wimp
is this the guy fauxflex wants as captian? a guy who gets drunk on Bud light?

Oh and damn you beef for putting that Original Nyan Cat youtube vid up. I woont be able to get that song or the images from the vid out of my head for while

Old
05-27-2011, 11:59 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
is this the guy fauxflex wants as captian? a guy who gets drunk on Bud light?
In all fairness, I think Holmgren came out and said the Bud Light was simply being used as a chaser for the liquor.

Old
05-27-2011, 12:59 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Scott Hartnell just drove past me on a vespa...

Old
05-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
This is easily the most ridiculous thing I've read all day.

05-27-2011, 01:07 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Haha he looked like a bear swerving around on a tiny little scooter. I had to do at least 2 double takes before I realized who it was.

Old
05-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I don't think I'd be able to stop laughing.

Old
05-27-2011, 01:12 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I didn't really think anything of it until halfway up sansom street and I started to realize how comical it was and started laughing to myself.

Old
05-27-2011, 01:16 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Ditto.

Definitely falls under the "**** you never expected to read" category!

Old
05-27-2011, 01:20 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Ditto.

Or "**** I'm not expecting to see" category haha

Old
05-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Versteeg iced my brother last night at work.

Old
05-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
I didn't really think anything of it until halfway up sansom street and I started to realize how comical it was and started laughing to myself.
Clearly, your brain couldn't immediately comprehend the hilarity at first site. It was too funny for the human mind to appreciate immediately.

Old
05-27-2011, 01:42 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:

Hahah Briere looks hammered.

EDIT: Wait a minute...that blonde is Gina Lynn. Does she have a thing for the Flyers?

Richards is on brobible.com btw.

Last edited by TheLegendkiller: 05-27-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old
05-27-2011, 01:49 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Ditto.

Or "**** I'm not expecting to see" category haha

Old
05-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
You make some good points, but it adds up to A LOT of defensive statements and excuse making for the kid. I don't think it's likely that every single concern people have raised about Richards is simply invalid or excusable as you seem so apt to claim. You sound like a fanboy who believes your hero Captain Richards is simply infallible and beyond reproach. I'm obviously not going to convince you otherwise. Still, valid concerns remain. I'm fine with Richards being the captain of the team, and I don't see the Flyers making a change. But I am worried about the maturity level and commitment based on the examples I mentioned and that he won't complete his "on the job training" (Pronger's words) before the team's current window (i.e, Pronger/Timonen era) is closed. BTW Pronger's comment was something like "stepping away from the c for a year" was the most ridiculous thing, not necessarily the idea of changing the C itself.
If defending a player from a ludicrous amount of criticism (not just you, this issue has popped up since the season ended) makes me a fanboy, so be it.

The things I'm "making excuses" about are things that are legitimate excuses.

Missing optional skates? Pneumonia/Wrist.

Lack of production in the finals? He shut down the Toews line and the Toews line shut down his line. It happens; that's when you're secondary scoring becomes valuable. Production wasn't the problem in that series; the team scored 22 goals in six games (about 3.66 G/G). Chicago scored 25 (about 4.17 G/G). The Flyers problem in the Finals was that the Top 4 was gassed and Leighton suffered as a result.

Undermining the coach? He said that it was a difficult situation with the powerplay. It was.

He didn't skip any practices as you suggested.

The use of Twitter that you call "irresponsible" was something that led Anthony SanFilippo to say, "I got to be honest with you... I like this new technique where you call all the writers out on Twitter if we say something dumb." If that's what it takes for the reporters to realize they're being idiots, so be it.

I don't see how these are "defensive" and "excuses." I'm not just going to roll over without producing counterarguments and counterexamples.

Quote:
Why don't we try this from another angle. GhostofDownie, Charliegirle etc., can you please tell me in your view, what are Richards' shortcomings/deficiencies as Captain and/or player on the Flyers?
Weaknesses as a Captain:

1) Relationship with the media: He has to learn that the media is always going to be there, and he's going to have to deal with it. Do what Pronger says there. You don't have to confess your soul, but don't be mute. Give the media a soundbyte and move on. He said that he has to take five minutes after the game to calm down before he talks to the media, and I agree with it. He'll learn.

2) Don't take differences on the ice off the ice: Sure it felt good to hear him call out Subban for a lack of respect, but it would've been better if he had just hinted at something or moved on completely.

Basically as a Captain, he has to learn how to use the press better. I can't comment on what happens inside the locker room, because, by all accounts, he is performing his duties in the locker room.

Weaknesses as a Player:

1) Stop trying to do everything himself. A lot of times I see him skating into the zone trying to beat all five defenders. No non-Datsyuk player can do that. The "skate into the zone at full speed then come to a complete stop and look for someone to pass to" thing also has to stop. Basically (and I feel like this has to do with the wrist injury), he has to be simpler in his game. Dump the puck and start up the forecheck. If there's room to make a move or make a pass, then pull it off, but don't force anything.

2) Know when to take time off. The wrist injury obviously should've been fixed during training camp, because it clearly affected his play later in the year. It's noble to play through injury, but it all depends on the timing. Playing with a separated shoulder in the '09 playoffs was the kind of injury that was noble to play through, since he likely separated it in the last month of the season, and it really wasn't getting much worse.

Keep healthy, keep smart, and I think he'll get back to where he was and even improve.

Old
05-27-2011, 02:00 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Did he fall off?

Old
05-27-2011, 02:03 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Did he fall off?

Old
05-27-2011, 02:04 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Did he fall off?
I LOL'd

Old
05-27-2011, 02:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:

Weaknesses as a Player:

1) Stop trying to do everything himself. A lot of times I see him skating into the zone trying to beat all five defenders. No non-Datsyuk player can do that. The "skate into the zone at full speed then come to a complete stop and look for someone to pass to" thing also has to stop. Basically (and I feel like this has to do with the wrist injury), he has to be simpler in his game. Dump the puck and start up the forecheck. If there's room to make a move or make a pass, then pull it off, but don't force anything.

2) Know when to take time off. The wrist injury obviously should've been fixed during training camp, because it clearly affected his play later in the year. It's noble to play through injury, but it all depends on the timing. Playing with a separated shoulder in the '09 playoffs was the kind of injury that was noble to play through, since he likely separated it in the last month of the season, and it really wasn't getting much worse.

Keep healthy, keep smart, and I think he'll get back to where he was and even improve.
I think this nails it as a player. And as a captain too. Richards isn't perfect as a captain, but that's why he's been surrounded by others who can not only support him, but don't necessarily need him to be the example for themselves. I think he does try too hard, and thus makes more mistakes as a result. If you're also getting injuries early enough in the season, I'd rather them be taken care of and be ready for the games that really matter.

Old
05-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
I think this nails it as a player. And as a captain too. Richards isn't perfect as a captain, but that's why he's been surrounded by others who can not only support him, but don't necessarily need him to be the example for themselves. I think he does try too hard, and thus makes more mistakes as a result. If you're also getting injuries early enough in the season, I'd rather them be taken care of and be ready for the games that really matter.
Yeah, he's not perfect by any means, but look at all the other young captains in the league. They have a lot of supplementary leadership on their teams (perfect example for me is Crosby with Talbot and Orpik). Young captains need to learn on the job, and they still can win when they're learning on the job, as long as they're surrounded by supplementary leadership. What Richards needs to learn to do (and I think part of this might be do to a lack of consistent linemates) is learn how to use his teammates more. If you look at Giroux and JVR, for instance, they were doing things that were purely based on a reliance on the other getting to the right position (like that patented face-off move that Giroux loves). If we keep Versteeg, I could see him and Richards being very good together, especially since both are at their best when they're making other people angry, forechecking, and anticipating plays defensively.

Closed Thread