HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign F Steven Anthony to 3-year ELC ($576,667 per)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-27-2011, 04:22 PM
  #26
Lard_Lad
Registered User
 
Lard_Lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
He couldn't even crack a PPG as a 20 year old in the Q, while playing for the league's best team. I would be shocked if he ever plays in the NHL.
It was his 19-year-old season, actually. One of the reasons I'm skeptical about him making the AHL next year is the overage option. I'd expect 80-ish points out of him if he does go back to the Q.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:42 PM
  #27
biturbo19
Registered User
 
biturbo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
He couldn't even crack a PPG as a 20 year old in the Q, while playing for the league's best team. I would be shocked if he ever plays in the NHL.
he's got the tools to fill a role well. he's not going to be a stunning point producer in the pros, but he has good size and if he can continue to develop the physical side of his game and his consistency...he'll be a good versatile bottom-6 option for the future. the fact that he has some skill and a bit of a clue as to what to do with the puck is probably more just a bonus element that could give him a real edge over other 'grinders' and 'plugs'.

basically...

think more Lapierre/Hansen/3rd or 4th liner types...less all-star top-line forward. personally i'd be quite enthused if we get something like that out of a 7th rounder.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 05:48 PM
  #28
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
he's got the tools to fill a role well. he's not going to be a stunning point producer in the pros, but he has good size and if he can continue to develop the physical side of his game and his consistency...he'll be a good versatile bottom-6 option for the future. the fact that he has some skill and a bit of a clue as to what to do with the puck is probably more just a bonus element that could give him a real edge over other 'grinders' and 'plugs'.

basically...

think more Lapierre/Hansen/3rd or 4th liner types...less all-star top-line forward. personally i'd be quite enthused if we get something like that out of a 7th rounder.
what is it about anthony that gives people the impression he has any of the mentality to be a 3rd or 4th liner? the ahl and echl is full of talented players his size that didn't change their game and anthony hasn't really shown signs of being the kind of player that would do what it takes

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 07:07 PM
  #29
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
Can the signing of Erica Ehm be far behind?
haha. i came to this thread to post this:


vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:34 AM
  #30
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 11,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
what is it about anthony that gives people the impression he has any of the mentality to be a 3rd or 4th liner? the ahl and echl is full of talented players his size that didn't change their game and anthony hasn't really shown signs of being the kind of player that would do what it takes
He's been working at improving his game and becoming a much more complete, all-around player. He even talked about that in his blogs that he wrote for CDC throughout training camp (yeah I read those things ). In it he mentioned how much of an impression guys like Burrows and Kesler left upon him when he saw just how good they were not only offensively, but also defensively too.

Personally I think he could become a useful bottom-6 player for us down the road - having a big body with some skill and ability to score always helps. He just needs to continue working on his consistency and playing with even more of an edge. He was already taking on PK duties and taking faceoffs too. Frankly he could be quite a versatile guy to have in the future once he develops fully. He's already got the tools, like hockey sense and skating ability.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:38 AM
  #31
Amused To Death
Registered User
 
Amused To Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Trade him for a 7th rounder.

Amused To Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 02:45 PM
  #32
biturbo19
Registered User
 
biturbo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
what is it about anthony that gives people the impression he has any of the mentality to be a 3rd or 4th liner? the ahl and echl is full of talented players his size that didn't change their game and anthony hasn't really shown signs of being the kind of player that would do what it takes
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
He's been working at improving his game and becoming a much more complete, all-around player. He even talked about that in his blogs that he wrote for CDC throughout training camp (yeah I read those things ). In it he mentioned how much of an impression guys like Burrows and Kesler left upon him when he saw just how good they were not only offensively, but also defensively too.

Personally I think he could become a useful bottom-6 player for us down the road - having a big body with some skill and ability to score always helps. He just needs to continue working on his consistency and playing with even more of an edge. He was already taking on PK duties and taking faceoffs too. Frankly he could be quite a versatile guy to have in the future once he develops fully. He's already got the tools, like hockey sense and skating ability.
this basically sums it up. it seems like this past summer, he kinda clued in as to what was expected of him going forward, and the importance of working hard at those things. i recall them keeping him around a bit longer than many other prospects, and i wonder if that maybe gave him a bit of a 'taste' and got him a bit more motivated. as this year, he seemed to take it to heart more and emphasized his work on the things that could make him a viable bottom-6er down the road.

of course, from those aforementioned blogs, we also learned that if his hockey career doesn't work out, he probably doesn't have much of a future as a writer either.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 05:41 PM
  #33
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 11,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
this basically sums it up. it seems like this past summer, he kinda clued in as to what was expected of him going forward, and the importance of working hard at those things. i recall them keeping him around a bit longer than many other prospects, and i wonder if that maybe gave him a bit of a 'taste' and got him a bit more motivated. as this year, he seemed to take it to heart more and emphasized his work on the things that could make him a viable bottom-6er down the road.

of course, from those aforementioned blogs, we also learned that if his hockey career doesn't work out, he probably doesn't have much of a future as a writer either.
Give him time, he could make it as a beat writer or columnist for some paper... would be better than some of the stuff we get in the Province at times though I admit it has been better as of late (wonder why )

In all honesty, in the past the Canucks would've just let him be, and left him to 'figure it out' on his own. Obviously not a very good way to help a prospect develop, so it's good to see that the organization is tailoring their plans for guys individually. If you're not an outstanding scorer in juniors, you'd best be working your tail off at trying to become a complete player and improving your all-around game so that you have a chance to make it in the pros (a la Burrows from the Q to the ECHL and upwards). It seems even a little bit of the right guidance and a lot of hard work could go a long way.

Btw I heard before somewhere that Burrows wasn't a great skater coming out of the Q - is this true? If so, that's great news for prospects who could stand to improve their skating, like Hodgson, Tochkin etc considering how quick he is now.

It's reassuring at least that a 7th rounder has some potential to be a viable player in the future. Wish I could say the same for a guy like Hannay. That 09 draft for us just keeps looking better and better though.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:21 PM
  #34
Placebo Effect
Registered User
 
Placebo Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mind
Country: China
Posts: 7,155
vCash: 500
Official announcement:

Quote:
Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks President & General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed left winger Steven Anthony. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Anthony, 20, spent the 2010.11 season with the Saint John Sea Dogs, recording 60 points (23-37-60) in 61 games during the regular season and was a member of the Memorial Cup-winning Sea Dogs. In four seasons with the Sea Dogs, the Halifax, Nova Scotia native has earned 163 points (66-97-163) in 244 games played. Anthony also appeared in his first NHL pre-season game on September 21, 2010 at Calgary, registering four shots on goal.

The 6’2”, 187-pound forward was originally selected by the Vancouver Canucks in the seventh round, 187th overall, in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=563377

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 02:00 PM
  #35
Andy Dufresne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 1,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I thought hockey players were superstitious?

I would have taken ten bucks less.

Spoooooooky... talking about 666 and superstitions in my 1134th post.

That spells hell upside down and backwards.
I don't know if anyone mentioned it at the time but Kovalchuk's contract was interesting,
Signs with the Devils:


F ILYA KOVALCHUK, NEW JERSEY DEVILS

0
BIRTHDATE: April 15, 1983 AGE: 28 2010-11 CAP HIT: $6,666,667

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.