Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Atlanta Knights Return???

Old
05-25-2011, 10:13 PM
desert dawg

vCash: 500
Atlanta Knights Return???

Any thoughts of what might develop in ATL after Thrashers leave???
AHL, ECHL, SPHL??

desert dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 11:03 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

The ECHL Gwinnett team has already started promoting itself.

I think it might be hard to see another team in there with the Gladiators doing so well in the past.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 11:28 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Eh. The more I think about it, the more it should be looked into atleast. It's a well known documented fact that Atlanta traffic blows. Now lets throw in that Atlanta and Gwinnett aren't even in the same county. So that means....fighting through that abysmal traffic and then continuing to drive into the next county, is no easy task. Some fans might atleast attempt to watch it for awhile, take in a game or two. If they begin to follow it closely they will notice the hockey isn't the best and all the roster shuffling makes it hard for us diehards to stick with it sometimes. The Gladiators are now at that stage where "The Novelty Has Worn Off" and it's a win or a bust in a way type of a deal, not that they'll fold but the casuals will start to move on, plus it's the South, it's warm....they could go to the beach or find several other things better to do outside. Since their Kelly Cup run the Gladiators efforts have decreased every year from 1st round exits to missing it for the 1st 2 times the past 2years. Had Augusta not folded mid season they woulda missed in 09 too.

With that said...the market(Atlanta) is TOO BIG for the SPHL. The AHL has become a double edged sword. It's hardly all about winning anymore unless your...Chicago, Hershey or Mantioba. A lot of teams are NHL owned now. The IHL product was probably better than what the AHL is today. If Atlanta wants the ECHL, go for it. It's not like they would struggle to draw against Gwinnett, they could match them or surpass them I think.

I don't know his financial situation but i'm willing to bet Tom Glavine could afford an ECHL Franchise....

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
I could def see Atlanta supporting a SPHL team........

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 08:30 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
I could def see Atlanta supporting a SPHL team........
To play devils advocate though, Georgia has two of them. Augusta Riverhawks, Columbus Cottonmouths.

The Augusta Riverhawks can hold 9k in their arena, I believe.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 08:40 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
To play devils advocate though, Georgia has two of them. Augusta Riverhawks, Columbus Cottonmouths.

True.

How much longer can the flunked ECHL town of augusta hold on to an SPHL team?

This is a significant drop from NHL Hockey(they are obvious all drops) but to be an SPHL fan I think you need a certain patience. You have to realize the players are going nowhere and it's mostly about passion but skill is limited. On second thought, I wish I had a team in a league like the FHL. The prima donna act in the ECHL and AHL get old. The roster movement in a season is a pain.

Old
05-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
True.

This is a significant drop from NHL Hockey(they are obvious all drops) but to be an SPHL fan I think you need a certain patience. You have to realize the players are going nowhere and it's mostly about passion but skill is limited. On second thought, I wish I had a team in a league like the FHL. The prima donna act in the ECHL and AHL get old. The roster movement in a season is a pain.

It's not that different. Yes the players aren't going to make the NHL but the player movement is about the same. A lot of Southern ECHL Teams use SPHL for short call ups. I Do agree the passion these players have really is great for the fans.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 08:38 AM
CrazyEddie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post

False. The James Brown Arena Seats around 5K, and hockey hasn't drawn better than around 1,500 since the early 2000s.

The two SPHL teams in Georgia play in small markets that are very different than Atlanta. Comparing Columbus or Augusta to Atlanta is beyond comparing apples to oranges.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:00 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
The failure in Augusta was not the fault of the town. The owners of the Lynx were used car salesmen and were hit hard by the economic crisis.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:49 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panda Bolt View Post
The failure in Augusta was not the fault of the town. The owners of the Lynx were used car salesmen and were hit hard by the economic crisis.
I know, but this owner sounds like a hot head, firing the GM because opening night wasnt a sellout

Old
05-27-2011, 06:53 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

The plans for the GM change were going to take place whether the opening weekend was a sellout or not. Why he didn't just go ahead and hire Richards in the first place I'll never know.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote