HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread Part II(All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
I thought Timmins started in 09. Or was that only as director of player personnel.
I think he drafted AK in 2003 but i might be wrong.

Old
05-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I think you're right, not sure, but if I remember well, Andre Savard was still there, and wanted Jeff Carter instead, but Timmins didn't listen and drafted AK...

Old
05-01-2011, 07:54 PM
JHabs61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Yeah, Ak was drafted in 2003, by who I'm not sure. Probably Timmins. I remember because we didn't draft Jeff Carter . but I'm happy with AK.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:36 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Apparently Gorges Laraques was really a distraction like Gainey said when he let him go From this past Saturday's National Post

He skipped team outings to steakhouses and was occasionally teased by teammates, who would give him a handful of grass and say it was dinner.

At the time, Gainey said: "I told him that he would not be continuing as part of our group for the rest of this season, for reasons of lack of productivity and distractions to our group," Gainey said. "We felt our goals were more achievable to continue without him as part of the group."

Old
05-11-2011, 06:41 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Hahahahaha.

No one likes a vegeterian.

Old
05-11-2011, 09:07 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Hahahahaha.

No one likes a vegeterian.
Or someone that doesn't even do the simple job they are paid for. I'm sure his "Code" got on his teammates' nerves.

Old
05-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Apparently Gorges Laraques was really a distraction like Gainey said when he let him go From this past Saturday's National Post

He skipped team outings to steakhouses and was occasionally teased by teammates, who would give him a handful of grass and say it was dinner.

At the time, Gainey said: "I told him that he would not be continuing as part of our group for the rest of this season, for reasons of lack of productivity and distractions to our group," Gainey said. "We felt our goals were more achievable to continue without him as part of the group."
I think it's important you put that quote into perspective.
The writer was talking about his vegan status, he wouldn't go to steakhouse because it is against his values, which is actually very commandable. It wasn't out of attitude problems.
His teammates teasing him is as normal as players calling PK ''showtime''. Nothing bad about a little innocent teasing.

When taken out of context, you can make it seem as if BGL was skipping dinners and his teammates responded by making fun of him.
That wasn't the case.

Laraque was a distraction because he didn't play well, at all, and he spent more time making sure he'd have a follow up career as a personality on TV than trying to improve his performances.

Old
05-11-2011, 10:09 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
he spent more time making sure he'd have a follow up career as a personality on TV than trying to improve his performances.
Which is why they teased him about the grass. There is always a little bit of truth behind playful teasing.

Bob Gainey wouldn't dismiss someone lightly from the team. Gomez absolutely sucks but he'll almost guaranteed be a Hab in September because Gainey is respectful. The fact that Gainey banished Laraque from the team was a huge statement. Its not something he would do lightly.

There was a lot more to the story that we don't know, he didn't get rid of him merely because he wouldn't fight. They would have sent him to the AHL if that was the case. They didn't want him anywhere near the organization.

Old
05-12-2011, 05:46 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

Laraque was injured and had no business playing on any NHL team. Gainey was probably angry because he ever signed him. The fact that he was using his Hab status to promote his various causes without contributing anything to the team just added to the tension between him and the organization

Old
05-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I bought my friend a Hallmark birthday card that said something like:

"I've found the absolute best way to enjoy greens, grains, and fibre"
open the card.
"feed it to a cow and turn it into a steak".

Old
05-14-2011, 06:25 PM
old scotia

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

3 out of the 4 coaches in the conference finals were once with the Montreal Canadiens organization. Should we be proud? Does this mean we should keep Martin? Do we blame the GM?

Old
05-15-2011, 10:30 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
I bought my friend a Hallmark birthday card that said something like:

"I've found the absolute best way to enjoy greens, grains, and fibre"
open the card.
"feed it to a cow and turn it into a steak".
Good one.

have you heard the new trend, yO Mama jokes?

Old
05-27-2011, 11:39 PM
not quite yoda

Is the old Chris Higgins back in the NHL? Would you ever take him back?

He lost his way. After 3 unsuccessful stops in NYR, CGY and FLA (though he wasn't that poor in FLA) he has found his groove playing in VAN. After moving cities several times in the past couple of years I believe he has realized what he needs to do for his hockey career to be successful.

Recently he has been promoted to Kesler's line. On a good team Higgins (at his best) is a deluxe grinder on a 3rd line. Plays the north-south game and can pot garbage goals. On an average team he's a support staff 2nd liner. Not that we need that exact type of player, but I believe he is back.

If we were looking for that 3rd line grinder that can pot 15 goals, would you take him back?

Old
05-27-2011, 11:44 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
He lost his way. After 3 unsuccessful stops in NYR, CGY and FLA (though he wasn't that poor in FLA) he has found his groove playing in VAN. After moving cities several times in the past couple of years I believe he has realized what he needs to do for his hockey career to be successful.

Recently he has been promoted to Kesler's line. On a good team Higgins (at his best) is a deluxe grinder on a 3rd line. Plays the north-south game and can pot garbage goals. On an average team he's a support staff 2nd liner. Not that we need that exact type of player, but I believe he is back.

If we were looking for that 3rd line grinder that can pot 15 goals, would you take him back?
Higgins got into the party trouble scene. The question would be if he could stay out of it, Montreal has too good of a night life.

Old
05-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I dont know how true the rumours of his nightlife are, and I dont really care.

But if the question is whether I would want the old higgins back, the obvious answer is yes, in a heartbeat.

Higgins has rebounded quite well in his brief stint in vancouver, but he needs to show more to warrant a top 6 spot again. He's not all the way back yet and I dont think he'll ever get there.

The only thing that his stint in vancouver has proved to me is that he can still play in this league without being a fringe guy, because that's how far his stock had plummeted in the last couple years.

Old
05-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Roulin

I'd love Higgins back. IMO, either he or Upshall would help next year's team, so whoever costs less and is willing to come to Montreal basically. I think it's a possibility that Higgins might go from underrated to overrated if he scores some more big goals in the finals, getting that "clutch" reputation could mean he won't be such a bargain.

Old
05-28-2011, 06:37 AM
MrNasty

Gauthier was reportedly trying to get him at the trade deadline. Rememebr when Gauthier sent White to the minors on deadline day and recalled him the same day...I have a feeling it was cause he thought the player he thought he had traded for was Higgins.

Old
05-28-2011, 09:44 AM
MasterD

I've been a fan of Higgins, but not the biggest... never thought he'd score 40, I thought he'd be a 25 goals/year player.

With that said, I think we can all agree that
Higgins>Pyatt
Higgins>Moen (although we'd need another physical presence... which Moen was barely doing, anyways)
Higgins>Pouliot
Higgins> or = Darche, while being younger and less injury prone.

I'd take him back, on the 3rd ine, occasional filler for 2nd line.

Old
05-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Habitants

I was a big Higgins fan when he broke in with the habs, and i really loved his game. i was sad to see him go, but he went through some tough times.

i watched some vancouver games this past week, and let me tell you, he played great. just like i remembered back when he broke in. Hopefully he can keep it going, and get his career back on track!

ps lapierre did not look to bad either, but i never liked him

Old
05-28-2011, 09:44 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
I've been a fan of Higgins, but not the biggest... never thought he'd score 40, I thought he'd be a 25 goals/year player.

With that said, I think we can all agree that
Higgins>Pyatt
Higgins>Moen (although we'd need another physical presence... which Moen was barely doing, anyways)
Higgins>Pouliot
Higgins> or = Darche, while being younger and less injury prone.

I'd take him back, on the 3rd ine, occasional filler for 2nd line.
I liked Higgins back when he could score goals and played great with Saku. When we traded him, I was totally fine with it cuz he had just become useless. Part of the Higgins appeal was that he was a Habs fan himself and with the whole Komi (before turning darkside) being good and in general the team climbing out of the grim era, it felt good to have a scorer with energy. I remember an injury where he got hit on the left boards in the O zone. I don't think he was the same after that.

This being said, I think it was the start of our prospects being good (I grimace as I remember that ryder was once Calder-worthy and one of our go-to guys).

Now, our stds are higher, for the team and players. I wouldn't want Higgins to replace anyone we have.

The argument that Pyatt is some deadbeat IMO is just plain wrong. I would go so far as to say we cannot afford to lose Pyatt. Talk about grinders who are ALSO really smart defensive forwards. He's a terrific one and I don't care if he gets 0 points. We need him to succeed.

Moen gets his share of criticism but he's still a big body and was put into the wrong role. Not his fault, we had injuries. Plus, if he's one of Muller's favourites, good enough for me.

Pouliot vs Higgins is probably a fair debate, but I'm on the Pouliot will become a consistent danger bandwagon. Not too many people on it, so I can see how you'd go with the "good" Higgins.

Darche gets put on the top lines and PP because he seriously just has this inexplicable ability to overachieve and somehow be effective. He's bigger than Higgins and I don't think that he could replace Darche in the role that Darche plays. That said, I'm sometimes annoyed when we use Darche in that role too much. AK should be that guy. Also, Patches WAS that guy. Patches>Higgins IMO.

I'm happy for Higgins, but at the same time I actually do like our line up even though it's much maligned for missing something. I think time and progression will really help this team and the youth coming in will round out all the ? about size and grit. If we get a solid D like Vancouver (or perhaps a more mobile version of it), I seriously think we could take the East if Pouliot/DD/Patches/Eller continue their process of maturation (and Gomez/Cammy have better years stats-wise).

You do point out something important though- Higgins COULD be a third liner on our team. He WAS a first liner. Players need to play their roles for a team to be successful. I think Lappy has been awesome for Vancouver and if anything I miss him more.

Old
05-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I loved Higgins but no, I don't think we should bring him back. He has a great role in Vancouver, he can play any lines and people won't complain. I don't think he would have the same role with us.

Old
05-28-2011, 10:42 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Speaking of ex-Habs,I think it would have been nice if we kept Dominic Moore here instead of getting a washed up and soft Halpern. We gave a 2nd rder for him,and let him walk even after his solid playoff. Moore has proven this year that it was no fluke.Nice job PG/BG
He wanted too much... But at 1.2 doesnt feel like that much

Old
05-29-2011, 12:02 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
Gauthier was reportedly trying to get him at the trade deadline. Rememebr when Gauthier sent White to the minors on deadline day and recalled him the same day...I have a feeling it was cause he thought the player he thought he had traded for was Higgins.
If Higgins matured then he would be a valuable asset. But if not, he could cause some of the young guys to lose focus.

He was a Habs fan growing up and always worked hard. He'd be an ideal 3rd line winger and would look great beside Eller. However, I still question his character.

Old
05-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
If Higgins matured then he would be a valuable asset. But if not, he could cause some of the young guys to lose focus.

He was a Habs fan growing up and always worked hard. He'd be an ideal 3rd line winger and would look great beside Eller. However, I still question his character.
When Higgins first started with the Habs he had a great work ethic on the ice and seemed to have one of the best fitness levels on the team. If he's returned to that he could be a net positive influence, especially if he's matured enough to recognize the pitfalls of playing in Montreal. But we're to far to the outside of this to really know anything.

Old
05-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Clumsyhab

Higgins on a third line with Eller would be dynamite! Even when he had his off-ice issues, i thought he always worked hard on ice. I'd take him back any day under 2m.

Closed Thread