HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft Thread XII: For a few draft picks more.

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2011, 12:17 PM
moochmooch

vCash: 500
Thanks for the clarification!

Old
05-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I'm not a big Gilbert fan but aren't we trying to get more defensive depth? He's a 3/4 that's been miscast as a #1 for the majority of the year. Last I remember, him and Whitney were actually a solid pairing for us. Heck Smid and Gilbert weren't too bad considering they were facing the Sedins and Iginla every night.
It depends on what you're looking at long term. IMO Petry will replace him and within a few years Teubert will likely be our 2nd or 3rd pairing RH D. Let's say that we move Gilbert:

Whitney-Petry/UFA
Smid-Petry/UFA/Foster
Peckham-Vandermeer/Chorney
Vandermeer/Chorney

It looks bad but we'd still be better off than we were at years end since we'll have Whitney back. That and we'd have another solid D in the wings to go along with Marincin and Teubert. Then next year we draft a D in the early 1st round and our core is set.

05-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafrelio View Post
That would be amazing. The other option in this scenario would be to trade #12 and #19 and move up in the draft. I would guess this could get us into the #6-9 range.

Would you rather have:
A)
1-RNH
12-McNeill, Scheifele, Zibanejad (if he falls), Siemens, Beaulieu
19-Miller, McNeill, Scheifele, Klefbom, Brodin

or

B)
1-RNH
7ish-Strome, Murphy, Hamilton

Its hard to know how it would play out. I would go with A) if it was RNH, Zibanejad, Klefbom, but that's not likely. However, A) would more likely look lilke RNH, Scheifele, Brodin/Miller and in that case I go with B).
B. Quite easily actually too.

While I love A due to us having the 12th and 19th, but to be completely honest, getting back into the top-10, and having ourselves another elite prospect is too much to pass on.

Getting a guy like Murphy/Strome/Couturier(I think Hamilton is gone by this point) along side RNH could really jump the rebuild to a point where next year we'd spend our picks only on defensive players, and then start competing for the playoffs year after.

Lets say we get Murphy at 7. And next year we get Dumba.

We'd essentially have 2 blue chip D-man prospects, 2 blue chip F prospects with a very good sprinkling of supporting cast prospects, there is very little in terms of weaknesses in our prospect pool.

While I love guys like Scheifele/McNeill/Siemens, they are on a tier below for me personally.

There is around 7-9 prospects in this draft who imo, could be extremely good players. Then I see a little drop off.

At this point in the rebuild, it's not about quantity as it is about quality.

05-27-2011, 12:57 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Joe Morrow Or Oscar Klefbom?

i was having this discussion at work today with a bunch of guys about pick #19. after RNH is almost a certain pick for us, we started discussing our next pick at #19, and IF the Oilers wanted a defenceman and Morrow and Klefbom were availible, which would they take? seems that depending on which mock draft or scouting report you look at, one is ranked ahead of the other, so if they are that even......

......which would you take?

Old
05-27-2011, 01:04 PM
dnicks17

Secret third answer: Jonas Brodin.

Old
05-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Oil Ever View Post
i was having this discussion at work today with a bunch of guys about pick #19. after RNH is almost a certain pick for us, we started discussing our next pick at #19, and IF the Oilers wanted a defenceman and Morrow and Klefbom were availible, which would they take? seems that depending on which mock draft or scouting report you look at, one is ranked ahead of the other, so if they are that even......

......which would you take?
That is a tough choice, I like both but I would go with Klefbom.

Old
05-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Njoy Oilers

QUOTE=nafrelio;33271203]Rumor? Who said anything about a rumor? Some "N.C SHOE" fans on a hockey forum thought it would be okay to do that trade. [/QUOTE]

Fixed it.

Old
05-27-2011, 01:19 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
That is a tough choice, I like both but I would go with Klefbom.
agreed, Klefbom for me.

Old
05-27-2011, 02:01 PM
hfboardsuser

Klefbom's not going to be around at 19, never mind 31. Morrow, I think, we might see fall like Troy Rutkowski.

Old
05-27-2011, 02:19 PM
ChefTO

Is it possible to trade down from #1 and still get a #1 center in SC??

Perhaps swap with FLA and attempt to pry Gubranson as well.

Thoughts on the price?

Old
05-27-2011, 02:24 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Klefbom's not going to be around at 19, never mind 31. Morrow, I think, we might see fall like Troy Rutkowski.
Thanks for dropping by, Bugg! I always appreciate your insight. You've probably seen these guys more than all of us.

I'm curious to know where you think morrow will drop and why.

Also, who do you like better: Klefbom or Brodin?

Old
05-27-2011, 02:55 PM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I think with the parity of the NHL, with so many teams so close to making the playoffs, teams in the 8-18 range (especially those who are in markets where they need to win sooner than later like Atlanta and Columbus) are becoming more inclined to look to the draft for talent that can step in a year or two after being drafted.

Last year, only 5 defensemen were drafted in the Top 20. Two of them were far and away the best players available (Fowler and Gormley), two of them were in markets that have time to develop prospects and not worry about players that can step in right away (McIlrath and Forbort in New York and Los Angeles), and Florida probably didn't see a forward worth picking at 3 (Johansen, Niederreiter, Skinner were all risers, and not really considered to be Top 5 talent).

I understand that it's probably foolhardy to make this kind of claim after one draft, so I guess we'll see what happens this year. But I will not at all be surprised to see defenders drop again.

I'm inclined to think that in the Top 18 we'll see Larsson, Murphy, Hamilton, and TWO OF Oleksiak, Siemens, and Beaulieu taken.

I think:

1. Oilers - RNH
2. Avalanche - Larsson
3. Florida - Landeskog/Huberdeau/Couturier (Won't take defender)
4. Devils - Landeskog/Huberdeau/Couturier
5. Islanders - Landeskog/Huberdeau/Couturier (Won't take defender)
6. Senators - Strome (Won't take defender)
7. Thrashers/Jets - Hamilton/Murphy - With new ownership, I could see them taking a defender. If not, they won't take a defender.
8. Blue Jackets - Either trade the pick or Zibanejad (Won't take defender)
9. Bruins - Hamilton/Murphy
10. Wild - Armia (Won't take defender)
11. Avalanche - Bartschi/Puempel/McNeill/Scheifele
12. Hurricanes - Bartschi/Puempel/McNeill/Scheifele (Won't take defender)
13. Flames - Bartschi/Puempel/McNeill/Scheifele (Won't take defender)
14. Stars - JT Miller/Jensen
15. Rangers - Beaulieu/Siemens/Oleksiak
16. Sabres - Bartschi/Puempel/McNeill/Scheifele (Won't take defender)
17. Canadiens - JT Miller/Jensen
18. Chicago - Beaulieu/Siemens/Oleksiak
19. Oilers - Beaulieu/Siemens/Oleksiak/Klefbom/Brodin/Morrow

I really think we'll have our pick of Klefbom, Brodin, Morrow, and one of Beaulieu, Siemens, and Oleksiak.

But hey, I could be out to lunch on this one.

Last edited by ZugNugget: 05-27-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old
05-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
I think with the parity of the NHL, with so many teams so close to making the playoffs, teams in the 8-18 range (especially those who are in markets where they need to win sooner than later like Atlanta and Columbus) are becoming more inclined to look to the draft for talent that can step in a year or two after being drafted.

Last year, only 5 defensemen were drafted in the Top 20. Two of them were far and away the best players available (Fowler and Gormley), two of them were in markets that have time to develop prospects and not worry about players that can step in right away (McIlrath and Forbort in New York and Los Angeles), and Florida probably didn't see a forward worth picking at 3 (Johansen, Niederreiter, Skinner were all risers, and not really considered to be Top 5 talent).

I understand that it's probably foolhardy to make this kind of claim after one draft, so I guess we'll see what happens this year. But I will not at all be surprised to see defenders drop again.

I'm inclined to think that in the Top 18 we'll see Larsson, Murphy, Hamilton, and TWO OF Oleksiak, Siemens, and Beaulieu taken.

I think:

1. Oilers - RNH
2. Avalanche - Larsson
3. Florida - Landeskog/Huberdeau/Couturier (Won't take defender)
4. Devils - Landeskog/Huberdeau/Couturier
5. Islanders - Landeskog/Huberdeau/Couturier (Won't take defender)
6. Senators - Strome (Won't take defender)
7. Thrashers/Jets - Hamilton/Murphy - With new ownership, I could see them taking a defender. If not, they won't take a defender.
8. Blue Jackets - Either trade the pick or Zibanejad (Won't take defender)
9. Bruins - Hamilton/Murphy
10. Wild - Armia (Won't take defender)
11. Avalanche - Bartschi/Puempel/McNeill/Scheifele
12. Hurricanes - Bartschi/Puempel/McNeill/Scheifele (Won't take defender)
13. Flames - Bartschi/Puempel/McNeill/Scheifele (Won't take defender)
14. Stars - JT Miller/Jensen
15. Rangers - Beaulieu/Siemens/Oleksiak
16. Sabres - Bartschi/Puempel/McNeill/Scheifele (Won't take defender)
17. Canadiens - JT Miller/Jensen
18. Chicago - Beaulieu/Siemens/Oleksiak
19. Oilers - Beaulieu/Siemens/Oleksiak/Klefbom/Brodin/Morrow

I really think we'll have our pick of Klefbom, Brodin, Morrow, and one of Beaulieu, Siemens, and Oleksiak.

But hey, I could be out to lunch on this one.
We will not get siemens at 19 no chance

Old
05-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Parise09*

Murphy is going to be the second best defenseman in this draft and the best offensively. If i have a choice of Murphy or Hamilton or Siemens, I take Murphy without even thinking.

Old
05-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise09 View Post
Murphy is going to be the second best defenseman in this draft and the best offensively. If i have a choice of Murphy or Hamilton or Siemens, I take Murphy without even thinking.
Hamilton over Murphy, I wouldn't complain at all about Murphy, I think he's going to be great but I'd rather have Hamilton.

Old
05-27-2011, 05:16 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallsgotTigerBlood View Post
We will not get siemens at 19 no chance
Siemens is actually one guy I CAN see falling out of that favor. He wasn't great to end the season and there are climbers who might have more upside.

Remember, there was no chance in hell that the Coyotes were going to get Brandon Gormley at 14. How'd that work out?

Not that I would bank on Siemens being there at 19, but hey.

Old
05-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Siemens is actually one guy I CAN see falling out of that favor. He wasn't great to end the season and there are climbers who might have more upside.

Remember, there was no chance in hell that the Coyotes were going to get Brandon Gormley at 14. How'd that work out?

Not that I would bank on Siemens being there at 19, but hey.
I wonder if we'd prefer a tough D like Siemens or a big 2C like McNeill or Miller if both were available? Going against your BPA always approach I would think that it would depend on the teams opinions of Pitlick as a potential 2C and Teubert as a top 4D.

Old
05-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I wonder if we'd prefer a tough D like Siemens or a big 2C like McNeill or Miller if both were available? Going against your BPA always approach I would think that it would depend on the teams opinions of Pitlick as a potential 2C and Teubert as a top 4D.
Hey siemens favourite team is the Oil gotta love it

Old
05-27-2011, 10:53 PM
CupofOil

Is Siemens really that much better than Teubert? They seem pretty similar in my eyes. Big, Nasty defensemen who skate well for big guys but also have limited hockey sense.
If the Oilers insist on taking a defenseman with the 2nd pick whether it be by trade up or at 19, i would prefer a 2 way defender with offensive upside although if Siemens was available at 19, we would almost have to take him since he would be the clear BPA at that spot.

Ideally, we trade up to Columbus' spot at 8 and draft Hamilton. An RNH-Hamilton draft would be incredible and i think that it's feasible since Columbus might very well look to trade that pick.

Old
05-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallsgotTigerBlood View Post
Hey siemens favourite team is the Oil gotta love it
All things considered equal, a local boy that lists the Oilers as his favorite team would be my pick. That said I wonder if the acquisition of Teubert means that we will look elsewhere even if he's on the board. Or in theory we could have Siemens, Teubert, and Peckham on separate pairings so that each pairing has a smash mouth D that will give opposing forwards nightmares.

Old
05-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

If I'm completely honest, unless one of Murphy/Hamilton/Larsson/Beaulieu(maybe)/Brodin(again maybe) it getting picked by the Oil, I'd rather avoid the D-man in the 1st all together and just pick forwards.

1a. RNH
1b. Scheifele/Miller/McNeill (which ever one falls)
2. Morrow
3a. Scarlett
3b. Kessy
4. Sergeev
5. Honzik
6. Bligh

That'd be a great draft personally.

Old
05-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Also, on Siemens, BDW had a pretty neat article about Morrow with a couple of quotes from scouts about Siemens, check it out if your interested.

Supports SK13's theory that Siemens could fall.

Old
05-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise09 View Post
Whod you rather have, Brent Seabrook or Tobias Enstrom. That's the way I think of it.

Old
05-28-2011, 01:25 AM
ChefTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
All things considered equal, a local boy that lists the Oilers as his favorite team would be my pick. That said I wonder if the acquisition of Teubert means that we will look elsewhere even if he's on the board. Or in theory we could have Siemens, Teubert, and Peckham on separate pairings so that each pairing has a smash mouth D that will give opposing forwards nightmares.
McNeil is a local product as well and he stated in the Oilers draft prospects on it's website that it would be a dream come true if he were to be drafted by the Oilers!

Also as good as Siemens may look on paper or as scouted, how different is he than Mayfield or Musil who we could snag at 31 perhaps?

I would like a

RNH
McNeil/ Miller
Mayfield

If we start building depth at center and have the problems that Philly is having with to many, there will always be takers for top tier centers around the league!

Gagner
RNH
Pitlick
Lander
McNeil / Miller
Martindale...

Old
05-28-2011, 01:27 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

I will say this about Duncan Seimens.

I still see him playing in the NHL at 20 years of age.

Closed Thread