HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate problem Q

Old
05-26-2011, 05:29 AM
Logie

vCash: 500
Skate problem Q

Hey all,

Had my One60's two months now, they have been baked twice and are quite comfortable. But, i can not get the skate tight which is really getting on my nerves.

A nice tight fitting skate gives you so much more control and speed. The problem is the last 4/5 eye lets. I pull as tight as i can, even to the point that my circulation is cut off, but the skate does not pull in.

I'm guessing my previous baking i did not do the laces tight enough.

First questions is

a) Is it ok to bake for a third time (Using a proper CCM oven) and it will be the last

b) I plan to have my mate use my mate to push the skate in (Using my Mrs nice oven gloves :p ) while i tighten the laces, is this a good idea?

Regards

Logie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 11:31 AM
SouthpawTRK

i would contact Bauer to ask them what their recommendations are to possibly solve your problem. out of curiosity, are you using standard or waxed laces (as well as a lace tightener)? best of luck with your dilemma.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 05:26 PM
jeremyp

Southpaw mentions wax laces...If you're not using them, get them. They should help to keep the laces nice and tight for you. Also, keep in mind that when you initially tighten your skates they will loosen up some as you skate in them. Especially new skates as you break them in. To help with this, simply re-tighten your skates after skating for a few and you will be able to get them even tighter. If these methods don't work, then you most likely have a poorly fitting skate with too much volume for your feet.

Good luck.

jeremyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 06:11 PM
ponder

I'd go ahead and bake them again, often skates will say to bake a maximum of 2-3 times, but a lot of people bake 3+ times with no problems, myself included. Make sure to tie them nice and tight during the baking so the eyelets fold over well (make sure to pull straight out, then cross the laces over, if you pull across the eyelet while the skates are hot you can rip out eyelets). Also, bake one skate at a time (so the 2nd skate doesn't cool off as you're tightening the 1st one), and make sure they're nice and hot/soft, sometimes people don't leave skates in long enough and they barely mold at all. You don't want to overbake and possibly damage them, but basically just make sure you've got a fitter who knows what he's doing, and mention that you want to make sure you get a good/soft bake.

Finally, as the other 2 posters suggested, replace the laces with waxed laces, which should help quite a lot. Use normal laces when baking though, waxed laces after, as apparently the wax can heat up and come out of the laces when baking (less of a problem with used waxed laces that have already lost a fair bit of wax, but apparently a problem with new waxed laces).

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 06:27 PM
mfd1068

Are your heels locked in and not moving? Is there any movement up by the toe box? For me, the most important area to get snug/tight is the 4th and 5th eyelets down from the top. These eyelets will pull your heel back and lock it in the heel pocket. The eyelets below (6 to the toe) are just snug(if the skates fit properly,width wise). The top 3 are where personal preference come in . Do you want very tight or more forward flex? I prefer forward flex so I just snug up the top 3. I have X:60's which are pretty stiff and they do not need to be super tight.
Waxed laces will help as well as lacing the top couple eyelets from the outside in. It will keep the laces tighter.

mfd1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Defgarden

I can never get my heel to lock in. It always moves up slightly when I skate, no matter how hard I tie my laces. I'm not sure what to do either.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:56 AM
Logie

The problem is i can get the laces really really tight, but the skate does not close in and wrap around my foot.

I went ahead and baked them again, i got my friend to mold the skate whilst i did the laces up and for 10 minutes i kept trying to shape the skate.

I did my RF first, after 15 i took the skate of a tied the laces, tied the laces the same as my left skate and there was a noticable difference. The eye lets have come more over, rather then being more upright.

This was the skate prior to baking

you can see the last 5 eyelets dont really come over to give a wrap around effect. After baking yestaday its alot more narrow even with the laces off and all the eyelets curve in a bit. Fingers crossed i finish golf intime for hockey tonight and get to try them :p

Old
05-28-2011, 01:09 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

I have the same skates. Only baked em once but when I did I yanked the $#^&* out of them, and they fit great. I used wax laces too.

This might seem obvious, but make sure your shin pad doesn't inch it's way down into the tongue too far when tightening them before playing, otherwise you'll never get em tight.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 02:45 AM
RAYClovis

Similar issue here. My left skate's fine and fits just perfect. My right skate's heel is locked tightly but the top three eyelets keep on loosen up and my ankle just pronates unlike my left foot, even with orthodontics. Whenever I tighten it it'd hold up fine and not pronate as much until the laces loosen on their own. I'm considering getting waxed laces but I'm also wondering if rebaking my right skate will help my situation?

RAYClovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 07:35 AM
jeremyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYClovis View Post
Similar issue here. My left skate's fine and fits just perfect. My right skate's heel is locked tightly but the top three eyelets keep on loosen up and my ankle just pronates unlike my left foot, even with orthodontics. Whenever I tighten it it'd hold up fine and not pronate as much until the laces loosen on their own. I'm considering getting waxed laces but I'm also wondering if rebaking my right skate will help my situation?
Re-baking won't help your situation at all. Wax laces will do the trick though.

jeremyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Logie

Here is a vid of what im talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM_6_bU14yM

Reason im worried for is watching NHL etc, it looks tight on there feet, maybe theres nothing wrong with the skates because my foot does not move and my heel is locked in, it does not come up during skating.

Old
05-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Fly Like a C5

As long as your heel is locked in you should be fine. You don't want the top of the skate to be too tight or you won't have any flexibility. How long have you been skating for? You might need to build up the muscles in your lower legs.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Logie

2 months now, but a month of properly skating. I was just unsure how tight skates were supposed to be, its not easy to explain the problem via forums really

Yea i notice with the top eyelet tight, when your skating in the hockey position, going backwards with a deep knee bend. The lace digs right in.

When im working on going backwards, when i come off ice my shin is sore from the top lace, although msot often i prefer skating without tying up the top eyelet!

So the skates are on tight enough you would say? Just need to build up some strength in the ankles?

I've been to hockey practice 3 times, skating 2 months and can skate forwards, backwards, crossover both ways hockey stop both ways. If the skates were not on right surely i would of found out by now?

Old
05-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Fly Like a C5

I would continue to skate and build up your muscles. You'll find you use different muscles for skating than walking/running. Watch people who are on the ice skating for the first time. Many of them will skate "knock knee" because their muscles aren't used to skating. Google Laura Stamm and you'll find more information about why you don't want your skates too tight. If you continue to skate and the problem doesn't improve, then you may want to check and make sure that your skates are the correct size.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:09 AM
Logie

I laced the last 4 eyelets going under and its alot better, much better infact!