HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part II (incl. protest discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2011, 09:21 PM
The Price is Right

vCash: 500
What's a better CEGEP Dawson or Vanier? Not sure which to go to.

Old
05-23-2011, 05:35 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Price is Right View Post
What's a better CEGEP Dawson or Vanier? Not sure which to go to.
I think it's the same really.

Old
05-23-2011, 05:43 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Same but depends on what you're going into. And what sort of err.. "crowd" bugs you

Old
05-23-2011, 07:17 PM
terreur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
So I need to 'interview' someone related to hockey for my essay. Anyone know of any sports reporters or hockey players who are reponsive to e-mails and would reply to me in regards to a sports-related(QC getting a team) interview via e-mail?

I have had a class with Michel Poitevin he is the repsonsable of the economics program at the UdeM.

Sports economics is one of his favorite topics and sometimes spoke 10-15 minutesd of subjects like the nordiques, or subsidies towards sports teams.
(he canceled a class because he wanted to go see the 2010 vancouver olympics finals)

I don't know if he would answer your questions by email, but i know that he's interested in the topic at least.

(if it changes something for your essay, he would probably be against any kind of financial help for a sports team, because he believes that if it would be a good project, the private sector would take care of it.

http://www.sceco.umontreal.ca/liste_...l/poitevin.htm

Old
05-25-2011, 09:53 PM
pine*

re: Concordia electives -

Has anyone done COMP 218 before? How is it? Easy? Hard?

Old
05-25-2011, 10:10 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by terreur View Post
I have had a class with Michel Poitevin he is the repsonsable of the economics program at the UdeM.

Sports economics is one of his favorite topics and sometimes spoke 10-15 minutesd of subjects like the nordiques, or subsidies towards sports teams.
(he canceled a class because he wanted to go see the 2010 vancouver olympics finals)

I don't know if he would answer your questions by email, but i know that he's interested in the topic at least.

(if it changes something for your essay, he would probably be against any kind of financial help for a sports team, because he believes that if it would be a good project, the private sector would take care of it.

http://www.sceco.umontreal.ca/liste_...l/poitevin.htm
Seems like a guy who'd want my final copy and not sure I'm comfortable with that cuz I plan to flower it up with bs a lot lol

Old
05-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
re: Concordia electives -

Has anyone done COMP 218 before? How is it? Easy? Hard?
If you're computer illiterate it could be hard.
The teacher for it next year is apparently really good.
Nancy Acemian

Although, it looks like COMP 218 is a new E-Concordia course so expect to be a guinea pig.
If you decided to take it, feel free to hit me up in a PM, I'm majoring in Computer Science at Concordia.

Old
05-27-2011, 12:44 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Could anyone list some easy electives at concordia? For math I'm leaning towards cal 3 and combinatorics, but I need some advice for more general stuff. Online courses are something I would definitely prefer.

Old
05-27-2011, 02:22 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Could anyone list some easy electives at concordia? For math I'm leaning towards cal 3 and combinatorics, but I need some advice for more general stuff. Online courses are something I would definitely prefer.
Lawls, Combinatorics? Seriously that class sounds like it has suck written all over it. Ohh **** lawls it's full of Discrete Math according to the outline http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~c339_4/reading.pdf XD

If you're in Computer Science: Computer Games Option you don't have 2 choices for your Math Electives, COMP 361 - Elementary Numerical methods is a pre-requisite for Advanced Game Design I think so you only choose 1.

Honestly if your not in Computer Games but still Computer Science I'm assuming, just take ENGR 213 - Applied Ordinary Differential Equations and ENGR 233 - Applied Advanced Calculus (Cal 3 basically). I suck at math and managed to pass ENGR 213, if I recall you switch to Science at Vanier so this should be a breeze for you especially if you still have Cal 1/Cal 2 still somewhat fresh on the brains.

As far as General Elective Go, just look at the post from people here that are in ENCS department.

So far I've done these for my Gen. Electives:

- ADMI 202 Business something something in Canada, jokes, got B or B+ can't remember went into the exam knowing nothing, I used common sense. Open book midterm and quiz Ctrl+F everything

- PHIL 235 Biomedical ethics, if you're good at philosophy interesting course, but I got murdered C-

- SCPA 201 Public Policy in Canada or smt like that, I got a B+. Learned the course in 1 day cramming the entire day before the final, and not the panic kind of cram just took my time and understood everything. Seriously, 1 day.

- ANTH 202 Anthropology, got a B, they give you all the questions for the final, ****ing jokes, don't understand how 42/432 students failed a course where they give you the questions for the final

All of these courses were taken online. I'm trying to get a real in class elective for my last one next year probably a geo class, or smt like that.

Old
05-27-2011, 02:29 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Lawls, Combinatorics? Seriously that class sounds like it has suck written all over it. Ohh **** lawls it's full of Discrete Math according to the outline http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~c339_4/reading.pdf XD

If you're in Computer Science: Computer Games Option you don't have 2 choices for your Math Electives, COMP 361 - Elementary Numerical methods is a pre-requisite for Advanced Game Design I think so you only choose 1.

Honestly if your not in Computer Games but still Computer Science I'm assuming, just take ENGR 213 - Applied Ordinary Differential Equations and ENGR 233 - Applied Advanced Calculus (Cal 3 basically). I suck at math and managed to pass ENGR 213, if I recall you switch to Science at Vanier so this should be a breeze for you especially if you still have Cal 1/Cal 2 still somewhat fresh on the brains.

As far as General Elective Go, just look at the post from people here that are in ENCS department.

So far I've done these for my Gen. Electives:

- ADMI 202 Business something something in Canada, jokes, got B or B+ can't remember went into the exam knowing nothing, I used common sense. Open book midterm and quiz Ctrl+F everything

- PHIL 235 Biomedical ethics, if you're good at philosophy interesting course, but I got murdered C-

- SCPA 201 Public Policy in Canada or smt like that, I got a B+. Learned the course in 1 day cramming the entire day before the final, and not the panic kind of cram just took my time and understood everything. Seriously, 1 day.

- ANTH 202 Anthropology, got a B, they give you all the questions for the final, ****ing jokes, don't understand how 42/432 students failed a course where they give you the questions for the final

All of these courses were taken online. I'm trying to get a real in class elective for my last one next year probably a geo class, or smt like that.
thanks for the suggestions denis. Combinatorics isn't as bad as it sounds. I've already done a lot of it in discrete math, but you're the second person to recommend cal3 to me so i guess that's what I'll take. How bad was ENGR 213? Sounds annoying. Can't wait to do some of those gaming electives. They sound great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
No way! Vendome is pretty clean. A block from Westmount, etc. I got off there every day for CEGEP, never even saw any shady characters. I'd much rather get off there than St. Henri, De L'Eglise or anything.
nah dude, vendome is definitely one of the worst. Atleast when it comes to actual crimes being done there. I've heard of several, but only a few months ago some guy got killed when some retard decided to stab him in the face. I live near both St. Michel and Sauvé metros so i'm pretty good when evaluating ghetto establishments/areas. It might not be terrible in the day (St. Michel and Parc still are), but at night, vendome can be pretty nasty.

Old
05-27-2011, 04:27 AM
guest1467

Im going out there on Sunday to look at apartments, pretty stoked about it.

Old
05-28-2011, 03:10 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
thanks for the suggestions denis. Combinatorics isn't as bad as it sounds. I've already done a lot of it in discrete math, but you're the second person to recommend cal3 to me so i guess that's what I'll take. How bad was ENGR 213? Sounds annoying. Can't wait to do some of those gaming electives. They sound great.
I don't know about you but discrete math COMP 232 formerly COMP 238/239 (for computer science and Software Engineering, NOT Computer Engineering) at Concordia has been tweaked and changed several times over the past 5 years and still only around 50-60% pass on their first try on that course. If you feel really confident in your discrete math skill by all means be my guest, but if you're basing yourself on discrete Math from Vanier, the Concordia version is a ***** compared to Vanier's. Vanier's Mathematics for computer Science basically covers AT BEST 5-10% of what is covered in COMP 232.

As for 213 vs. 233. Honestly it's up to you, both classes have been beaten to death like it's literally been the same course being taught for like the past 2 decades, tons of past exams and extracurricular aids (out of school tutoring services, notes, etc) for those classes. When you boil it down, ENGR 213 is Cal 1 + 2 meaning here are some techniques that use Derivatives and integrals and figure out which one to apply to certain situations and ENGR 233 is Cal 3 (from what I'm told).

Some swear that one is easier while the others claim the opposite.

Last edited by Sined: 05-28-2011 at 03:16 AM.
Old
05-28-2011, 03:13 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I don't know about you but discrete math COMP 232 formerly COMP 238/239 (for computer science and Software Engineering, NOT Computer Engineering) at Concordia has been tweaked and changed several times over the past 5 years and still only around 50-60% pass on their first try on that course. If you feel really confident in your discrete math skill by all means be my guest, but if you're basing yourself on Discrete Math from Vanier, the Concordia version is a ***** compared to Vanier's. Vanier's Mathematic's for computer Science basically covers AT BEST 5-10% of what is covered in COMP 232.

As for 213 vs. 233. Honestly it's up to you, both classes have been beaten to death like it's literally been the same course being taught for like the past 2 decades, tons of past exams and extracurricular aids (out of school tutoring services, notes, etc) for those classes. When you boil it down, ENGR 213 is Cal 1 + 2 with some techniques and ENGR 233 is Cal 3 (from what I'm told).

Some swear that on is easier while the others claim the opposite.
That's essentially it. Every person in engineering has to take it and some comp sci do as well. At the end of the day, you can get help anywhere. There's final crash preperations and so on. Even if it's harder, there's solutions to the book circulating around so you'd benefit from the 'popularity' of the course.

Old
05-28-2011, 03:43 AM
m00ks

As far as electives goes, PHIL 235 Biomed ethics was a breeze. Got an A- and only cuz I was 2 days late for a paper. Trick is to watch the videos, and mention EVERY point the teacher makes. Either agree or disagree. Easy as pie.

Old
05-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Bretvincent

Quote:
I don't know about you but discrete math COMP 232 formerly COMP 238/239 (for computer science and Software Engineering, NOT Computer Engineering) at Concordia has been tweaked and changed several times over the past 5 years and still only around 50-60% pass on their first try on that course. If you feel really confident in your discrete math skill by all means be my guest, but if you're basing yourself on discrete Math from Vanier, the Concordia version is a ***** compared to Vanier's. Vanier's Mathematics for computer Science basically covers AT BEST 5-10% of what is covered in COMP 232.

As for 213 vs. 233. Honestly it's up to you, both classes have been beaten to death like it's literally been the same course being taught for like the past 2 decades, tons of past exams and extracurricular aids (out of school tutoring services, notes, etc) for those classes. When you boil it down, ENGR 213 is Cal 1 + 2 meaning here are some techniques that use Derivatives and integrals and figure out which one to apply to certain situations and ENGR 233 is Cal 3 (from what I'm told).

Some swear that one is easier while the others claim the opposite.
I don't know what it is about comp 232 but it really is the hardest course i've done up to now in computer science. I just finished engr 233 and I thought i would struggle and yet in the end i aced it but that comp 232 even though I studied like mad, I still only passed with a C+. It's the proofs, I think that make it so hard. Have you taken Comp 361 yet?

Old
05-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretvincent View Post
I don't know what it is about comp 232 but it really is the hardest course i've done up to now in computer science. I just finished engr 233 and I thought i would struggle and yet in the end i aced it but that comp 232 even though I studied like mad, I still only passed with a C+. It's the proofs, I think that make it so hard. Have you taken Comp 361 yet?
Yup, that's what is it; proof by induction, proof by strong induction, etc. That's what killed me although I managed to get out of the class wit ha B-.

I've taken COMP 361 already, I struggled mad hard with that class. I had it with Dr. Doedel, if you manage to take it with him he has an amazing grading scheme where assignments are worth 20% and after the two midterms you get a "proposed mark" and if you like it you don't need to take the final.

I scraped together a 55% average and it resulted in a C so just to give you an idea of that class.

Also worth mentioning, the class is weird because half the available spots in the class is reserved for graduate students so you're technically taking a graduate level course.

What concentration of Computer Science are you in? Maybe we've had a class together and didn't even realize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
As far as electives goes, PHIL 235 Biomed ethics was a breeze. Got an A- and only cuz I was 2 days late for a paper. Trick is to watch the videos, and mention EVERY point the teacher makes. Either agree or disagree. Easy as pie.
I'd also add that you should be familiar with Toulmin's law of argumentation to defend your points. Nevertheless, SUPER interesting course the topics were really thought provoking.

Last edited by Sined: 05-28-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old
05-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Bretvincent

Quote:
Yup, that's what is it; proof by induction, proof by strong induction, etc. That's what killed me although I managed to get out of the class wit ha B-.

I've taken COMP 361 already, I struggled mad hard with that class. I had it with Dr. Doedel, if you manage to take it with him he has an amazing grading scheme where assignments are worth 20% and after the two midterms you get a "proposed mark" and if you like it you don't need to take the final.

I scraped together a 55% average and it resulted in a C so just to give you an idea of that class.

Also worth mentioning, the class is weird because half the available spots in the class is reserved for graduate students so you're technically taking a graduate level course.

What concentration of Computer Science are you in? Maybe we've had a class together and didn't even realize it.

I'd also add that you should be familiar with Toulmin's law of argumentation to defend your points. Nevertheless, SUPER interesting course the topics were really thought provoking.
I'm in Computer Games option, this year is my last year. I now know why I've been getting screwed for registering for comp 361. I was wondering why it kept saying 'all the place for which are eligible are filled' even though it did not say the class itself was full. Problem is I need that course because it is a prerequisite to comp 476. I already emailed Sal about it but all he said was he would put me on a waiting list...

From what i've seen, comp 361 uses a lot of calculus no?

Old
05-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretvincent View Post
I'm in Computer Games option, this year is my last year. I now know why I've been getting screwed for registering for comp 361. I was wondering why it kept saying 'all the place for which are eligible are filled' even though it did not say the class itself was full. Problem is I need that course because it is a prerequisite to comp 476. I already emailed Sal about it but all he said was he would put me on a waiting list...

From what i've seen, comp 361 uses a lot of calculus no?
Don't worry too much, Sal will probably put you in the class provided that not too many graduate students take it. COMP 361 doesn't have too much calculus actually mostly numerical methods techniques. Basically you learn a lot about how computer, namely calculators, are able to calculate stuff for us.

Old
05-30-2011, 05:01 PM
guest1467

Man, Montreal is just a wonderful city. So excited to live here.

Old
05-30-2011, 05:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Man, Montreal is just a wonderful city. So excited to live here.
Any idea where you're going to be calling home yet?

Old
05-30-2011, 05:05 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Any idea where you're going to be calling home yet?
I am interested in a couple apartments, one in particular. Probably going to end up living in Plateau just off of St. Laurent. Its a bit early to tell yet though, I have some more to look at tonight and tomorrow.

Old
05-30-2011, 05:11 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
I am interested in a couple apartments, one in particular. Probably going to end up living in Plateau just off of St. Laurent. Its a bit early to tell yet though, I have some more to look at tonight and tomorrow.
the more north in the plateau you stay, the better.

Old
05-30-2011, 10:54 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
the more north in the plateau you stay, the better.
Pourquoi?

Old
05-30-2011, 11:16 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
nah dude, vendome is definitely one of the worst. Atleast when it comes to actual crimes being done there. I've heard of several, but only a few months ago some guy got killed when some retard decided to stab him in the face. I live near both St. Michel and Sauvé metros so i'm pretty good when evaluating ghetto establishments/areas. It might not be terrible in the day (St. Michel and Parc still are), but at night, vendome can be pretty nasty.
Yeah, Vendome looks like it could be a pretty easy place to hurt someone at night. I've only been there between 8:00AM to 6:00PM, so I can't judge what happens when it gets dark.

For that matter, it's surprising how Angrignon is safe. Station is in the middle of a forest pretty much, and it border LaSalle and Verdun, two areas that can get sketch.

Old
05-30-2011, 11:37 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Pourquoi?
less cheesy

Closed Thread