HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Off-Season Talk: Who Comes And Who Goes

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2011, 08:09 PM
ultra63

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
IMO SFY is not giving out very long term deals, or overpaying. Cap space management and long term flexibility seems his goal.

Brewer - 3 year / $11 m 3.66 cap - $0.6m decrease
Stamkos - 5 year / $31.25 m - 6.25 per year cap, $2.5m cap space increase
Gagne - 2 / $6m - $2.25m, cap decrease

Purcell - 3 / $4.5m - $0.75 m cap increase
Bergenheim - 3 / $ 5m - $1m cap increase
Hall - gone/resigned/replaced - neutral

Smaby - gone or maybe 2 way

MAB - gone - $1m decrease
Lundin - 3 / $7.5 - $1.75 cap increase.
Randy Jones - gone or resign cheap

Smith - gone - $2.2m cap decrease
Roloson - resign 1 year @ 2m - $2.5 - neutral or less

Almost neutral. Vokoun would be nice if Roloson retires but costly. Still plenty of cap space to sign 3rd /4th line and both pair D-man, back up goalie, or for an upgrade on D or goal
I think Brewer can get more and Stamkos much more than you hope unless Yzerman really is a Jedi master.

Old
05-18-2011, 08:22 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I don't know why people think Brewer is going to take less than 4 with the way hes been playing in the postseason.

Old
05-18-2011, 08:32 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
I don't know why people think Brewer is going to take less than 4 with the way hes been playing in the postseason.
Compared to Kubina he might deserve 4 mil, but I don't see Yzerman giving him that much at all.

Old
05-18-2011, 08:34 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Compared to Kubina he might deserve 4 mil, but I don't see Yzerman giving him that much at all.
If he wasn't eating 26 minutes a night and such a difference maker since he got here i'd be inclined to believe that, but he does have bargaining power.

Old
05-18-2011, 08:37 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
I don't want a damn thing to do with Bieksa. Just my own opinion. I'd rather keep Brewer.
It's not a matter of either or.

Plus, Bieksa has been an absolute monster this playoffs (better than Brewer) and he's a pretty well-rounded defenseman.

Old
05-18-2011, 08:44 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
If he wasn't eating 26 minutes a night and such a difference maker since he got here i'd be inclined to believe that, but he does have bargaining power.
I disagree. I think Yzerman realizes that even though Brewer has been very good for us, he's not a #1 defenseman and doesn't deserve to be paid like one. I think he's ideally a very good middle pairing guy, but since he came to a weak D his value is getting overrated, imo.

Maybe he gets 4 mil, but my gut says it'll be in the high 3's because I think he'll want to stick around.

Old
05-18-2011, 08:55 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Do you think if he were merely a middle pairing guy he'd get exposed more playing over 25 minutes? Honest question... I think hes worth the 4 a year and has a unique skillset relative to the rest of the defensive core. I'd almost say i'd prefer him over Kubina but given his back problems its about even for me.

Old
05-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Louiss

I dont see Brewer signing for less than 4 millions per on the open market.

Remember that playoff performances sometimes (or always) means a ultra boost to value.

Also I see Sean Bergenheim gettin what Fernando Pisani had 5 years go (10M/4years)

Old
05-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Rschmitz

I really hope we sign brewer for under 4 million. He has been a beast. Id take bieksa and ehrhoff off of vancouvers hands too.

Old
05-19-2011, 12:07 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
I'm kinda surprised by Bieksa. He's great these playoffs so far.

Old
05-19-2011, 12:24 PM
newham89

If we could turn Hall into Asham that would be incredible. But Hall can stay if not.

Old
05-19-2011, 01:11 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

He waived his ntc because he wanted to come here. Hopefully he wants to stay here too.

Old
05-19-2011, 05:57 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Do you think if he were merely a middle pairing guy he'd get exposed more playing over 25 minutes? Honest question... I think hes worth the 4 a year and has a unique skillset relative to the rest of the defensive core.
I'm not saying I'd be upset if he got 4 mil, but I just think that under the circumstances (deep run, Yzerman, wanting to be here) he won't end up with as much as people think. Obviously he's on the top pair on our team, but I think in the grand scheme of things he's more of a 2nd pairing caliber player, and at best a compliment to a #1. I like that he's well-rounded, but I'd prefer to see his workload go down a little next year.

Quote:
I'd almost say i'd prefer him over Kubina but given his back problems its about even for me.

Okay, you lost me with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newham89 View Post
If we could turn Hall into Asham that would be incredible. But Hall can stay if not.
Fingers crossed. Asham might be a little too tough for our team though
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
He waived his ntc because he wanted to come here. Hopefully he wants to stay here too.
This is one of the main reasons I think he won't get over 4 mil.

Old
05-19-2011, 06:52 PM
hockeyfanvan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
I'm kinda surprised by Bieksa. He's great these playoffs so far.
Yeah he's been really good during both the regular season and playoffs. My dad's had the biggest "hate on" for him for at least a couple years now, but has been considerably less vocal in his criticisms as of late. Playing w/Hamhuis has helped, but it's nice to see him having success as an "individual" player too. Thought he was pretty classy in his comments last night, especially about Eager. Doesn't sound like he and the Canucks have done much talking yet about next year though.

Old
05-23-2011, 04:53 PM
I Am Beat You

Smith's #s have been very solid since December, and he seems to be better suited as a full-time backup rather than a 1B type of goalie. Given his improvement and work ethic, anyone think there's a chance he returns on a significantly cheaper deal?

Old
05-23-2011, 05:06 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Smith's #s have been very solid since December, and he seems to be better suited as a full-time backup rather than a 1B type of goalie. Given his improvement and work ethic, anyone think there's a chance he returns on a significantly cheaper deal?
The way I see it is that it depends on Roli. If Roloson doesn't resign and we pick up a number 1 guy then ok problem solved and you can keep Smith as a cheap backup. If Roli does resign I think you have to look at his future replacement since he is in his 40s. You can continue to take it slow with your prospects if you can replace Roli with a stable starter that can man your net for years. But with Roli in net you don't know how many years he has left before he retires/gets worse and so it would be important to see if Tokarski or Desjardins could handle back up duties and go 2, 3 on the depth chart and learn a lot from him to be his future successor

Old
05-23-2011, 06:02 PM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

Brewer will get 4.25M-4.75M/season
Bergenheim will get 2.0M-2.75M/season
Stamkos will get 7.25M-8.5M/season

Going to be expensive to keep these guys.

Save 1.4M on Smith (he should get around 1M --- at this point in time.

Last edited by dbieon12: 05-23-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old
05-23-2011, 06:24 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

If Bergenheim gets that a team is going to be very upset with that contract.

Quote:
Okay, you lost me with that one.
He still has back problems. It isn't as talked about, but he still has them, they're still a problem, they will always be a problem.

Old
05-23-2011, 06:28 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
Brewer will get 4.25M-4.75M/season
Bergenheim will get 2.0M-2.75M/season
Stamkos will get 7.25M-8.5M/season

Going to be expensive to keep these guys.

Save 1.4M on Smith (he should get around 1M --- at this point in time.
Will be lower end for Brewer. Id say around 4-4.5. But I actually agree with Brad (shocker I know ) and think he will take less than hes worth on the open market because he likes where he is right now.

That same thing could be said for Bergenheim. No way he gets over 2M and no way he even tests the market. He LOVES his role and this system and everything about TB. Hes nothing but smiles. Id say he ends up with around 1.5M for 3-4 years.

Stamkos will also get less than that. Look for a 5-7 year deal with a cap hit around 6.5M per year IMO. He will be told to take less by everyone important on the team and within the management and he will agree to have runs at championships. His next contract (signed in his prime) will be his 10M/season type deal.

Old
05-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Will be lower end for Brewer. Id say around 4-4.5. But I actually agree with Brad (shocker I know ) and think he will take less than hes worth on the open market because he likes where he is right now.

That same thing could be said for Bergenheim. No way he gets over 2M and no way he even tests the market. He LOVES his role and this system and everything about TB. Hes nothing but smiles. Id say he ends up with around 1.5M for 3-4 years.

Stamkos will also get less than that. Look for a 5-7 year deal with a cap hit around 6.5M per year IMO. He will be told to take less by everyone important on the team and within the management and he will agree to have runs at championships. His next contract (signed in his prime) will be his 10M/season type deal.
Too much, IMO. He only scored 14 goals in the regular season. It'll all be dependent on whether he wins the Conn Smythe or not though.

Old
05-28-2011, 12:51 AM
sonny side up

So now that the season is officially over and we know who did what... any opinions changed?

Old
05-28-2011, 12:54 AM
IdealisticSniper

I think we have seen Hall play his last game in a Lightning uniform. And Blair Jones will be taking a roster spot next season.

Old
05-28-2011, 05:20 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Ok, let's take a look. Our top-9 is pretty much set. Re-sign Purcell and Bergenheim and Yzerman's job is almost done at F. As for the 4th line, Thompson is here to stay of course. For the last two open slots I think it's between Tyrell of course, Blair Jones, Wright, Ashton or maybe even Hall again if Yzerman wants the young guns to play another year in the A.

Defense is going to be interesting. Hedman, Ohlund (NMC, limited NTC), Kubina (limited NTC), Clark (1 year left on contract) will most likely return. That's 4/7. I would love to see Brewer back but it really depends on what he demands. I'd be surprised if Lundin won't get re-signed. Smaby I think is gone, not sure about Randy Jones though. Before his injury he played well above 22 minutes per game and was our go-to guy on the PK. We also need a PMD that is responsible enough in our own end. MAB sent great offensive impulses to the team, especially in the playoffs. I loved his outlet passes and sometimes cheeky decisions. The downside of that kind of play is clear: Once intercepted the opposition gets a great scoring chance. I wouldn't mind him back in a 7th D-man role but it all depends on who we can acquire in the off-season.

UFAs to keep an eye on: Ehrhoff, Wisniewski, Pitkanen, Babchuk, I. White, Bieksa, Ericsson, Hannan, Clitsome, Kaberle, (Lidstrom), (Markov).

In goal it all depends on if Roloson will play another season. He's a great leader and mentor and obviously is still capable of playing on the highest level. Best case scenario for him would be a 1b- or even backup role though. If we could land Bryzgalov or Vokoun with Roloson as the #2 we'd be a force. I also wouldn't mind Smith backing up one of those two guys as he was stellar once he was the declared #2. Desjardins or Tokarski still seem to be long shots at this point of time.

Old
05-28-2011, 05:33 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
I think we have seen Hall play his last game in a Lightning uniform. And Blair Jones will be taking a roster spot next season.
Agreed. I like Hall. I think he does exactly what he is supposed to, but Jones does it better. I think he's getting it. He's gotten a taste of the playoffs and he liked it and wants more. Gotta have him on the roster next year.

Old
05-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Re-sign Stamkos, Purcell and Bergenheim.

Re-sign Brewer and sign FA one of Bieksa/Ehrorff

Re-sign Roloson or sign a goalie

Closed Thread