HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now that Boston has advanced to the final...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-28-2011, 01:02 PM
  #76
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool
 
Rhiessan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Guelph, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
We competed better or even with them in all departments except one, goal. CP was OK. But Thomas was great.
WHAT?

Price was the reason it went 7 games and Thomas was the reason they were down 0-2 in the first place.
What series were you watching?

There were only two reasons why we couldn't get by the B's and both were mostly the direct result of our injuries...scoring at even strength and winning faceoff's.
Having Markov, Halpern and MaxPac for the whole series would of improved us in both categories.

Either way, no use crying over spilled milk, yes it pisses you off to see that particular team in the finals but they're there so we have to deal with it.
Go Canucks Go!!! MIRight?
And dealing with it is helped immensely by Gorges and Max back in the lineup, the signing of Emelin, having Tinordi in the pipeline and knowing we have a pretty good core going into next year with at least some money to spend even after, the hopefully soon, Markov signing.

The light at the end of the tunnel folks, we are not going to be an easy team to play against for much longer and this will be Gomez's last chance or he'll find himself in the A or bought out for 12/13.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:11 PM
  #77
LesCanadiens
Registered User
 
LesCanadiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Okanagan Baby!
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
WHAT?

Price was the reason it went 7 games and Thomas was the reason they were down 0-2 in the first place.
What series were you watching?

There were only two reasons why we couldn't get by the B's and both were mostly the direct result of our injuries...scoring at even strength and winning faceoff's.
Having Markov, Halpern and MaxPac for the whole series would of improved us in both categories.

Either way, no use crying over spilled milk, yes it pisses you off to see that particular team in the finals but they're there so we have to deal with it.
Go Canucks Go!!! MIRight?
And dealing with it is helped immensely by Gorges and Max back in the lineup, the signing of Emelin, having Tinordi in the pipeline and knowing we have a pretty good core going into next year with at least some money to spend even after, the hopefully soon, Markov signing.

The light at the end of the tunnel folks, we are not going to be an easy team to play against for much longer and this will be Gomez's last chance or he'll find himself in the A or bought out for 12/13.
Watched the same series as you. You're right. Thomas sucked the 1st 2 games. CP was better the 1st 2 games. But after that (the remaining 5 games), Thomas was clearly the better goalie. Plain and simple. This is not a knock on Carey. It's just that Thomas was in playoff MVP mode after games one and two. And Carey was simply just decent, not great.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:16 PM
  #78
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool
 
Rhiessan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Guelph, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Watched the same series as you. You're right. Thomas sucked the 1st 2 games. CP was better the 1st 2 games. But after that (the remaining 5 games), Thomas was clearly the better goalie. Plain and simple. This is not a knock on Carey. It's just that Thomas was in playoff MVP mode after games one and two. And Carey was simply just decent, not great.
Agree to disagree I guess. Price gave his team a chance to win 6 of the 7 games and pulled the Habs bacon out of the fire again and again. Thomas only had to be "great" one game, the other 6, the B's were either pulling his bacon out of the fire or trying to.

Goals scored that had a bad smell were easily 8-2 in Thomas's dis-favour.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:18 PM
  #79
Bob Cole
Registered User
 
Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,557
vCash: 500
The east was wide open this year with no real dominating teams.

Makes the lost against Boston sting even more. Terrible year to be decimated by injury.

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 01:37 PM
  #80
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,724
vCash: 500
Everyone has an opinion.

To me Boston are good, but not great.

But mostly, they are lucky to have avoided major injury (so far).

Its not possible to cheer for that edition of the Bruins. We know the reasons.

The only team in the NHL that is capable of true magic is the Habs. For of all the teams, it is they possess the greatest and most glorious history. Hands down.

When Montreal wins it is bigger than hockey.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 02:14 PM
  #81
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score
 
Madam Kadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 6,473
vCash: 500
We have a matchup advantage against Boston. Just somehow, we always make them look bad despite our deficiencies. I believe that overstates our capabilities.

If you look at the recent Cup winners, they ALL had some really, really mean bottom sixes and very solid D. We have neither at the moment.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 02:27 PM
  #82
Harbinger04
Registered User
 
Harbinger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: boston
Posts: 2,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Everyone has an opinion.

To me Boston are good, but not great.

But mostly, they are lucky to have avoided major injury (so far).

Its not possible to cheer for that edition of the Bruins. We know the reasons.

The only team in the NHL that is capable of true magic is the Habs. For of all the teams, it is they possess the greatest and most glorious history. Hands down.

When Montreal wins it is bigger than hockey.
savard?

Harbinger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 02:41 PM
  #83
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
We have a matchup advantage against Boston. Just somehow, we always make them look bad despite our deficiencies. I believe that overstates our capabilities.

If you look at the recent Cup winners, they ALL had some really, really mean bottom sixes and very solid D. We have neither at the moment.
I agree. I bet the Habs would have lost in 5 again to Philadelphia. Just because they took the best team in the East this year to the brink doesn't mean they are better than all the other teams in the East.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 02:46 PM
  #84
Habs 1909
Registered User
 
Habs 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Everyone has an opinion.

To me Boston are good, but not great.

But mostly, they are lucky to have avoided major injury (so far).

Its not possible to cheer for that edition of the Bruins. We know the reasons.

The only team in the NHL that is capable of true magic is the Habs. For of all the teams, it is they possess the greatest and most glorious history. Hands down.

When Montreal wins it is bigger than hockey.
Hate to say this but you need to give credit where it's due. The Bruins have been facing adversity with injuries for a while now (Sturm, Savard, etc..). Players like Krejci and Lucic have really stepped up in their absence.
Thomas was supposed to be shipped in the off-season giving the opportunity to Rask to take the reins, but he proved the critics wrong and is now the front-runner for the Vezina.

I do think the Habs can beat any team in league only because there's so much parity in the league. This year there wasn't any true powerhouse in the East, so it's really a bad year to be decimated by injuries. That's hockey.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 03:02 PM
  #85
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 500
Aside from how close we were in Round 1, I am confident that the future Habs teams are going to be getting better each year and my prediction is that in 3 years we will not only be able to win the east, but contend with the west if we make it to the final. Gauthier's plan and past drafting will come to fruition. We aren't a mindless organization anymore. We do have a plan and while it used to be - make the playoffs, it's win a Cup now. The bruins have played well and have benefitted from luck, but that's what a lot of teams do to make it to the final (although I must say, the philly break was prrretty huge). No one has been luckier than Tim Thomas IMO. Paddle save or not, he has seemed like a shaky goalie to me and rerice in the first round, Carey had one dubious game, albeit one that led to a collapse. Thomas was not great in that round and now he looks like Hasek except he isn't making miracle saves, he's relying on shooters missing the empty net/defence clearing the crease or having the puck shot right into his chest or head.

The future is very bright for us, although this summer is gonna succcck. It's really a question of the lesser of two evils.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 03:10 PM
  #86
Habs 1909
Registered User
 
Habs 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
The east was wide open this year with no real dominating teams.

Makes the lost against Boston sting even more. Terrible year to be decimated by injury.
Wow. We posted the exact same thing.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 03:35 PM
  #87
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
not a chance ....we dont have the horses to make the final

I will repeat it till the cows come home ....WE CANT COMPETE 5 ON 5 in the playoffs

thats our problem.... even this year you takle away the pp and we cant generate a scoring chance

give me a break bro ...we dont have a Lucic...Horton....Chara ....

we dont even have a Marchand ...Sidenberg.....in our lineup

our bottom 6 cant compete with a Downie...Bergenheim...and Moore

plus the bruins have a Seguin....Spooner...Knight ...plus another top 10 this year

we are a middle of the pack team unles Price ...PK...Eller...Leblanc and Max become legit wayaabove average players

because if we think...Cammy..Gio...Gomez...Pleks ...and Kosty are going to do it for us ....we need to stop smoking the weed folks
Gotta agree with a few of those points. You need to score goals 5 on 5 to win in the playoffs, you can't rely on powerplays.

Cammy was great in the first round but most of his points were on the pp...5 on 5 he's pretty much useless as he'll never win a puck battle or go into the corners and dig it out. Look how often the bruins forwards go into the corners and get the puck back to their d for a shot on net.

Boston is winning because they're scoring even strength goals, their defence is stellar and they have good offensive depth.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:53 PM
  #88
haburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Boston is going to win the cup this year and I'll tell you why. In every series I made a prediction this year, I was wrong. Some of the choices were underdogs, but man does this suck. Vancouver and Boston are the two teams I absolutely did not want to win the cup. Now Boston is that team and I just get this bad feeling Vancouver is going to choke again. Both teams have choked so many times but the Bruins have actually overcome a lot in order to be in this final, I don't see them losing what with the way Thomas is still playing and the luck I've been having.

I jinxed the whole damn playoffs **** my ****ing life.
(Hey at least this time I'm predicting the Bruins win the series. It'll either be the curse gets broken or the curse continues )
lol.vancouver is going to CRUSH the b's.they are better in every way.it would take a miracle for bos to win.aint gonna happen.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 04:56 PM
  #89
Great One
Registered User
 
Great One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Had the Bruins not injured Pacioretty and in the fifth game of the opening round nailed Desharnais the Habs would have beaten them handily.Next season they will definitely be a power in the East and depth won't be a problem,the Bulldogs have considerable talent and play the same system as the Habs.Other players missing Markov (one of the elite dmen in the NHL) and Gorges another workhorse on defence for the Habs.Take out Boston's equal Dmen and they would be defenceless against the Habs.(Pacioretty-Horton) (Desharnais-Marchand)(Markov-Chara)(Gorges-McQuaid)No Contest!


This post is an epic fail from start to finish. First of all you say that the Habs would have beaten them "handily" if Pacioretty hadn't been injured. Pacioretty is a good player and brings alot to the table for the Habs but i really don't think he'd be the difference maker that got Montreal to the second round instead of the Bruins. Also you're comparison of Habs players to Bruins players in the last line has no significance at all considering that Horton> Pacioretty, Marchand> Desharnais, and Chara> Markov, most of these by a large margin. I will admit however that Georges is much better than Mcquaid and really would have helped shut down the B's offense in the series.

I'm not saying that the Habs wouldn't have made it to the finals had they beaten the Bruins, but i don't think it's fair to say that just because the Bruins made it then the Canadiens would have also. The matchups would have been different and we really don't know how the smaller Habs team would have fared going deeper in the playoffs with respect to stamina and playing hurt like every team seems to experience this late in the game. In saying that, as an Oiler fan i'd never doubt or count out any team that makes it to the playoffs seeing how we were an 8th place team in 06 when we had the cup run as well as the Flyers last year who were one loss away from even making the playoffs. So do I think the Habs WOULD have made it to the finals like the Bruins? No, i don't. But do i think they COULD have made it? yes, definitely. Also for those using injuries as an excuse to why Montreal lost against Boston, don't forget the Bruins were missing a very key player to their lineup as well and arguably their best player in Marc Savard. He would have added alot of experience and leadership to the Bruins squad and it's just too bad he can't be there to experience this with the rest of the team.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 05:37 PM
  #90
Sir Jacques Demers
Registered User
 
Sir Jacques Demers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I don't think it's valid to say that the habs would be a better team without the injuries, as that's the excuse people use nearly every single year. For whatever reason, injuries are a fact of nature on the Habs, we can't be a good team without injuries, we need to be a good team with the injuries.
I couldn't agree more. If you think about it, we didn't have any big injuries up front (with the exception of Pacioretty). Markov and Georges went down, but their salaries were replaced, by at the very least, what you can qualify as serviceable players.

Every time I hear the injury excuse . This is a team that has refused to spend at the trade deadline time and time again - the only reasonable exception being the Kovalev trade. The team has needed 1-2 big forwards, 1 additional depth player, and 1 additional d-man for YEARS now - it's the same excuse every year. Without the extra talent, there's no depth and injuries (or cold-streaks) guarantee failure in the playoffs.

That being said, with the arrival of PK Subban & Keeping Markov, the only question marks are adding 2 big forwards and getting rid of Gomez somehow.


Last edited by Sir Jacques Demers: 05-28-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 06:28 PM
  #91
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,750
vCash: 500
What the habs need to be a contender next year:

1) Resign Markov
2) Resign or replace Hamrlik.
3) Have a season with fewer injuries.
4) Have Gomez bounce back to a 65 point season or trade him and capitalize on the extra cap space.
5) Forward progression by AK46, Pouliot, Pacioretty, etc.

Since A LOT needs to go right for the Habs to be a contender, we are not close to being a contender.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 06:39 PM
  #92
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,444
vCash: 500
Let's see what happens to the Bruins next season. I'm not familiar with their payroll situation but I'm reminded of what happened to the Blackhawks after their Cup win. At the very least they won't renew Kaberle and they'll drop Recchi. The Habs will lose Wisniewski, Hamrlik, Picard, Sopel, Mara, and Halpern but they'll regain Markov, Gorges, and Pacioretty. The key to their season will be the play of Gomez. If he can't live up to his salary they'll be stuck in a rut.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 07:13 PM
  #93
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool
 
Rhiessan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Guelph, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Let's see what happens to the Bruins next season. I'm not familiar with their payroll situation but I'm reminded of what happened to the Blackhawks after their Cup win. At the very least they won't renew Kaberle and they'll drop Recchi. The Habs will lose Wisniewski, Hamrlik, Picard, Sopel, Mara, and Halpern but they'll regain Markov, Gorges, and Pacioretty. The key to their season will be the play of Gomez. If he can't live up to his salary they'll be stuck in a rut.

The B's were right up against the Cap this year, would of been over it actually if Savard hadn't of gone down.
Ryder, Kabs, Recchi and Hnidy are UFA's and they will have about 7mill to play with which they will have to dig into to re-sign RFA Marchand who should run them around 2mill or so.
That leaves them about 5 mill to replace 2 D-men and at least one forward.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 07:18 PM
  #94
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I can't believe such a weak squad as the bruins made it to the finals. Not one single top end talent up front. Kreijci and Bergeron are their two best players up front and it's nothing exceptional. Every team has 2 guys as good as that at least.

On D they have Chara, but after that it's insanely weak.

They really made it on the back of incredible goaltending and a super conservative system. And I don't know how Thomas does it flopping around. I don't get the same feeling I got from Hasek. I don't know why, sometimes it feels like luck more than anything. But whatever, Thomas has been incredible. Just think back of the save he made with his stick in game 5. Story of the playoffs. If he doesn't make that retarded save he had no business making than bolts eliminate the bruins. You can't say the same for Roloson who was absolutely abysmal all series long except in game 7, but bolts were all out of energy at that point.

Honestly, bruins didn't deserve to win against us or the bolts. They can thank Thomas, Roloson and to an extent Price in game 3-4.
I don't think Boston is as good as some feel they are, but I also don't think they are as bad.
They might not have any top end talent up front, but they do have good depth and some players have stepped up. Horton has been opportunistic, Marchand has been good as well. But I agree, they could have easily been swept in 4 versus us. Sadly we weren't able to finish them and they're now going to the Finals. I wouldn't blame Price for it though, I think that's rather harsh from you but wtv.
I agree that they have Thomas to thank and he's been incredibly lucky. Their luck doesn't end with Thomas, they've gotten incredibly lucky bounces as well. Like you said, you don't win a 7game series without scoring one PP goal and a poor PK, not to mention 3 OT wins, without being extremely lucky.

I think they will need to be extremely lucky to even keep this series close. I don't believe they have much of a chance versus Vancouver, especially not a well rested and healed Nucks team. There's been a lot of talk about how are the Sedins going to match up versus Chara, as if he's some type of defensive shutdown monster. I see it the other way around, I can't envision Chara having much success vs both Sedins and Burrows.
But even if that line is ''neutralized'' (mainly by Thomas), I think it will open things up for the Kesler line just like it did in the Nashville series.
The only question mark is Luongo, but even with average goaltending from him, I think the Nucks will win. Pretty much every single star in the universe has to be aligned for the Bruins to win, especially since Maholtra, Ehrhoff and Rome could all be back and Kesler/H.Sedin close to 100% health.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 07:32 PM
  #95
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
This post is an epic fail from start to finish. First of all you say that the Habs would have beaten them "handily" if Pacioretty hadn't been injured. Pacioretty is a good player and brings alot to the table for the Habs but i really don't think he'd be the difference maker that got Montreal to the second round instead of the Bruins. Also you're comparison of Habs players to Bruins players in the last line has no significance at all considering that Horton> Pacioretty, Marchand> Desharnais, and Chara> Markov, most of these by a large margin. I will admit however that Georges is much better than Mcquaid and really would have helped shut down the B's offense in the series.

I'm not saying that the Habs wouldn't have made it to the finals had they beaten the Bruins, but i don't think it's fair to say that just because the Bruins made it then the Canadiens would have also. The matchups would have been different and we really don't know how the smaller Habs team would have fared going deeper in the playoffs with respect to stamina and playing hurt like every team seems to experience this late in the game. In saying that, as an Oiler fan i'd never doubt or count out any team that makes it to the playoffs seeing how we were an 8th place team in 06 when we had the cup run as well as the Flyers last year who were one loss away from even making the playoffs. So do I think the Habs WOULD have made it to the finals like the Bruins? No, i don't. But do i think they COULD have made it? yes, definitely. Also for those using injuries as an excuse to why Montreal lost against Boston, don't forget the Bruins were missing a very key player to their lineup as well and arguably their best player in Marc Savard. He would have added alot of experience and leadership to the Bruins squad and it's just too bad he can't be there to experience this with the rest of the team.
No need to take it from an exterme to another !

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 08:03 PM
  #96
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen Jacques Demers View Post
I couldn't agree more. If you think about it, we didn't have any big injuries up front (with the exception of Pacioretty). Markov and Georges went down, but their salaries were replaced, by at the very least, what you can qualify as serviceable players.

Every time I hear the injury excuse . This is a team that has refused to spend at the trade deadline time and time again - the only reasonable exception being the Kovalev trade. The team has needed 1-2 big forwards, 1 additional depth player, and 1 additional d-man for YEARS now - it's the same excuse every year. Without the extra talent, there's no depth and injuries (or cold-streaks) guarantee failure in the playoffs.

That being said, with the arrival of PK Subban & Keeping Markov, the only question marks are adding 2 big forwards and getting rid of Gomez somehow.
Just one OT winner would have eliminated the Bruins and I think that the presence of either Pacioretty or Markov would have added quite a bit of additional pressure on them. It's moot whether the Habs would have won but I's sure theBruins fans were happy the Habs didn't have them available.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 08:18 PM
  #97
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Just one OT winner would have eliminated the Bruins and I think that the presence of either Pacioretty or Markov would have added quite a bit of additional pressure on them. It's moot whether the Habs would have won but I's sure theBruins fans were happy the Habs didn't have them available.
likewise, we were extrememly lucky that Savard was not in the lineup for Boston... if they don't go 0-for-pp, the series doesn't last 7 games.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 09:56 PM
  #98
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I agree. I bet the Habs would have lost in 5 again to Philadelphia. Just because they took the best team in the East this year to the brink doesn't mean they are better than all the other teams in the East.
Philadelphia collapsed in the second round, I think any of the playoff teams could have beaten them if they played like that.

What this is more indicative off is that there is a great deal of parity at the top of the Eastern Conference this year. Montreal is part of a group of 6-7 team that are all good enough to beat each other in a 7 game series. They all have strengths and weaknesses but the overall competition level is fairly similar. This contrasts with the Western Conference which had 4 elite teams (Vancouver, San Jose, Detroit and Chicago) and a bunch of comparative also-rans.

For the next few seasons, the goal of the Canadiens should be to maintain their position as part of this group and hope for a post-season in which the bounces goes there way. They can look to inherit the position New Jersey used to fill in the as the strong defensive club with a solid goaltender that's competitive year in and out. This plays to the organizations strengths of defensemen (Markov, Subban etc.), two-way forwards (Plekanec, Gionta etc.) depth due to recent prospect graduates (Eller, Desharnais) and in net.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 10:24 PM
  #99
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
The B's were right up against the Cap this year, would of been over it actually if Savard hadn't of gone down.
Ryder, Kabs, Recchi and Hnidy are UFA's and they will have about 7mill to play with which they will have to dig into to re-sign RFA Marchand who should run them around 2mill or so.
That leaves them about 5 mill to replace 2 D-men and at least one forward.
Hnidy is making the minumun and is at this time playoff insurance. If he re-ups, it won't be for much. Kaberle may re-sign, may not, we'll see. So right now the Bruins' projected defense stands at:

Kampfer - signed through 2013 (approx. $600,000, give or take bonusus)
McQuaid - signed through 2012 ($575,000)
Boychuk - signed through 2012 ($1.875 million)
Ference - signed through 2013 ($2.25 million)
Seidenberg - signed through 2014 ($3.25 million)
Chara - signed through 2018 ($7.5 million)

So, either they re-sign Kaberle, or sign some other FA or trade for a starting defenseman, or (less likely) promote someone like Bartkowski from the AHL.

As for forwards, it's a pretty good bet that Recchi will be replaced in the lineup by Caron (who's signed through 2013, at what's listed as a $1.1 million cap hit, but I seriously doubt he makes his $200,000 bonuses). Unless Ryder takes a pay cut, he'll probably be allowed to walk. The only other contract to worry about is Marchand, who, as you noted, is an RFA, and probably won't get more than $2 million.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 11:34 PM
  #100
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
On one hand it's more proof the east is relatively week.

Put it this way, right now I'm more concerned about how this team can perform during the regular season than what it's capable of in the playoffs.

Well said.

Overall, the Eastern conference is not as strong as the West - I think any of the better teams in the west (i.e. Detroit, Chicago, San Jose and of course Vancouver) would/will defeat the best team in the east for the Cup.

IMHO, the Habs relative playoff success is a combination of goaltending, effective 'system' (i.e. playoff coaching) and an effective powerplay!




What if this is.....as good as it gets?

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.