HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bobrovsky's flaws are easily correctable

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
totally confident in Bob, Bryzgalov here for the time being is fine, until Bob flourishes

Old
05-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Guffaw

Hey guys. This is my first post on HF boards. Old head here and as die hard as they come. I watched the 79'-80' finals (OFFSIDES!) as a 7 yr. old and have been there ever since and always will be.

Didn't read the thread, but my thoughts on Bob.

-Potential to make spectacular saves

-Take away his first 20 games and what do you have? Inconsistent play at best, poor play at worst.

-Too small to be down that often. Entire top of the net is open

-I believe he's 0 for 50 on breakaways and shootouts.

Overall I'm not a big fan and don't think he's a future NHL starter, but I could be wrong and hopefully I am. The better goalies of today take up alot of net and are always in position. I think people get caught up in the highlight reel saves with Bob.

Anyway, GO FLYERS! Signed 31 year die hard and still waiting...

Old
05-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Gibbs18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
From what I saw last year I think Bob should be coached during the offseason. Gets to be backup for whatever goalie we get for a starter. Get 25-30 starts and develop for the next 2-3 years. Gets to start 3-4 years down the road. I think he just got tired down the stretch and started playing worse than he was in the beginning of the season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Bobrovsky

He only played in 35 games for the team in Russia and came into the NHL and played in 54 games. I think when he develops he will become more in shape than he was and play better down the stretch when his time comes to start.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...tain-and-more/

Good article. Richards thinks Bob was tired towards the end of the season. Also other issues including on his captaincy and his injury.

Old
05-28-2011, 02:32 PM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
My thoughts on Bob...

I don't think he has the potential to be a top 5-8 starter in the NHL. I do, however, think that he possesses a lot of positive qualities, given the lack of coaching he would've had at his specific position growing up in Russia.

Yes, he's athletic and most of his flaws are technical...all of this ground has been covered before. That said, he tracks the puck well, has a solid glove for a Russian netminder, and he keeps his paddle down when moving laterally along the ice. This shows me that he has some attention to detail and that he's coachable.

Sending him to the AHL would be a mistake, especially if the Flyers do nothing to upgrade the Phantoms. Whether the team decides to sign Bryzgalov or Vokoun, I'm sorta indifferent. I wonder if most people have checked Bryzgalov's playoff stats this year?

Old
05-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFNHL Commish View Post
My thoughts on Bob...

I don't think he has the potential to be a top 5-8 starter in the NHL.
I do, however, think that he possesses a lot of positive qualities, given the lack of coaching he would've had at his specific position growing up in Russia.

Yes, he's athletic and most of his flaws are technical...all of this ground has been covered before. That said, he tracks the puck well, has a solid glove for a Russian netminder, and he keeps his paddle down when moving laterally along the ice. This shows me that he has some attention to detail and that he's coachable.

Sending him to the AHL would be a mistake, especially if the Flyers do nothing to upgrade the Phantoms. Whether the team decides to sign Bryzgalov or Vokoun, I'm sorta indifferent. I wonder if most people have checked Bryzgalov's playoff stats this year?
He has all the things you've listed that you really can't teach someone, and has shown a willingness to learn. Add to that the fact that, at 22, time is on his side. So what is it that you think would prevent him from ever playing at that level? Is there some flaw you're seeing, or merely not enough of the positives listed?

Old
05-29-2011, 01:19 PM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
He has all the things you've listed that you really can't teach someone, and has shown a willingness to learn. Add to that the fact that, at 22, time is on his side. So what is it that you think would prevent him from ever playing at that level? Is there some flaw you're seeing, or merely not enough of the positives listed?
Saying I don't think he has "Top 5-8" potential isn't really a huge knock on the guy...it's basically saying that I don't think he'll be a regular in the All-Star Game. He could certainly end up being as good as a Bryzgalov.

That said, yes, there are things that I see that put a cap on his potential. For one, he's only average-sized, and there are a lot of bigger goalies these days that are also quick. To compound things, he doesn't come out to challenge shooters and cut down the angle enough, which effectively makes him smaller. Is some of this technique? Yes, but you also can't teach aggression. Time will tell if it's in his mental makeup.

Old
05-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Saying I don't think he has "Top 5-8" potential isn't really a huge knock on the guy...it's basically saying that I don't think he'll be a regular in the All-Star Game. He could certainly end up being as good as a Bryzgalov.
Appreciated, definitely. I was just wondering if you were seeing something that you didn't think was correctable. Goalies are tough to forecast, so it caught my attention that in spite of his rookie season and the positives mentioned, you didn't think he had what it took to possibly be in the top 25% of NHL starters.

Granted, goalies are tough to forecast, so saying someone is going to be good because they're talented is a crap shoot. Likewise forecasting someone's ceiling as a result of correctable limitations seemed unusual to me (which is why I wondered if there were other unmentioned factors that lead you to your opinion).

Quote:
That said, yes, there are things that I see that put a cap on his potential. For one, he's only average-sized, and there are a lot of bigger goalies these days that are also quick. To compound things, he doesn't come out to challenge shooters and cut down the angle enough, which effectively makes him smaller. Is some of this technique? Yes, but you also can't teach aggression. Time will tell if it's in his mental makeup.
Bigger is better, absolutely, but I think you start to run into diminishing returns after you're much bigger than Bob is (6'2''). I think Bob's crouched stance and depth is more of a problem than his reach (both of which should be correctable). He could stand to sacrifice some lateral explosiveness for the sake of getting his shoulders and hands higher up in net.

Obviously I don't know Bobrovsky intimately, and clearly his ability to articulate his thoughts is limited by a language barrier, but when you read his interviews you definitely get a sense that he a guy with tremendous drive and high standards for himself. You should also keep in mind that this is a guy that never had a goalie coach before last season. To make it to the NHL with out ever being coached, IMO is pretty telling of someone's willingness to analyze themselves and improve on a regular basis.

I have high hopes for him towards the latter half of next season. I think now that his English is improved he should hopefully be easier to coach, and will have some time to really work on some of the fundamentals of his game before the season (I think Jeff Reese was probably hesitant to really mess with his game mid-season this year, particularly in light of how much he had on his plate besides hockey).

Old
05-29-2011, 08:58 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
I have high hopes for Bob, but I don't think it ruins him if they bring in someone to take the brunt of the starts over the next two years.

Old
06-01-2011, 11:47 AM
kicksave27

Goalies just take a while to figure things out. They are often late bloomers. You can't teach bob's athleticism, but you can teach him to be more technical. Nitty had the same over play problems that bob has.

Old
06-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Goalies just take a while to figure things out. They are often late bloomers. You can't teach bob's athleticism, but you can teach him to be more technical. Nitty had the same over play problems that bob has.
Not sure that's fair to Bob... Nitty was a complete mess when it came to over committing laterally.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:58 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Not sure that's fair to Bob... Nitty was a complete mess when it came to over committing laterally.
Agreed. Not to mention that when he first came over to NA Nitty would often duck at shots that were anywhere above shoulder height.

I would certainly be more optimistic about Bob going into the 2011-12 season if he came back here in July to work with Reese one on one instead of waiting until August.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:22 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

SALT IN WOUND BUMP.....YUP....it took the CBJ goalie coach to fix his flaws.

Where is that recent article about the CBJ goalie coach getting Bob to stand up more (play bigger) instead of crouch?

Old
04-09-2013, 08:24 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
SALT IN WOUND BUMP.....YUP....it took the CBJ goalie coach to fix his flaws.

Where is that recent article about the CBJ goalie coach getting Bob to stand up more (play bigger) instead of crouch?
Stahp

04-09-2013, 08:27 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
CBJ is up 4-0 right now haha

Old
04-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

The funniest part of this whole thread is people citing Jeff Reese as a good goalie coach.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:38 PM
TheDrizzle81

And is final bob posts a 30 save shutout his 3rd of the year

Old
04-09-2013, 08:41 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
And is final bob posts a 30 save shutout his 3rd of the year
He reminds me of Quick. His low to the ice play style.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:41 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
The funniest part of this whole thread is people citing Jeff Reese as a good goalie coach.
Obviously the guy can't read either....

But seriously now.....the Flyers are getting majorly trolled the last couple of seasons. Carter and Richards win the cup and Bob is a Vezina candidate.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...tain-and-more/

Good article. Richards thinks Bob was tired towards the end of the season. Also other issues including on his captaincy and his injury.

Richards On what the Flyers need to do with goaltending next year:

I have full confidence in Bob (Sergei Bobrovsky) coming in and playing well. If you look at what he was accustomed to before coming to the NHL, thatís a lot of games for a goaltender who switches over. You saw how well he played in the beginning of the year when he was rested, strong and feeling good about himself. Itís a long season and sometimes you get tired out. As a player who has been there before you make adjustments, train differently and learn as you go and I think Bob is going to do that. Heís going to be a good goaltender in this league and hopefully I can go through it with him.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:53 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:

Richards On what the Flyers need to do with goaltending next year:

I have full confidence in Bob (Sergei Bobrovsky) coming in and playing well. If you look at what he was accustomed to before coming to the NHL, thatís a lot of games for a goaltender who switches over. You saw how well he played in the beginning of the year when he was rested, strong and feeling good about himself. Itís a long season and sometimes you get tired out. As a player who has been there before you make adjustments, train differently and learn as you go and I think Bob is going to do that. Heís going to be a good goaltender in this league and hopefully I can go through it with him.
le sigh

Old
04-09-2013, 08:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
That was fun times. Might need a new one of those, too.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:31 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I miss bob.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
YUP....it took the CBJ goalie coach to fix his flaws.
Our goalie coach, Ian Clark, was actually Vancouver's goaltending coach until we hired him. He is the one who basically coached Schnieder and Luongo (after he arrived in Vancouver).

So Bob has certainly benefitted from a grade A mentor/coach I think.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:42 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Our goalie coach, Ian Clark, was actually Vancouver's goaltending coach until we hired him. He is the one who basically coached Schnieder and Luongo (after he arrived in Vancouver).
We'll trade you Hartnell for him?

Old
04-09-2013, 10:02 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

4 shutouts for bob on the season now...

.930 sv%: 2nd best in the league, while playing 30 games...Best if you count out anderson who's only played 17 games....

This is upsetting.

Closed Thread