HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft Thread XII: For a few draft picks more.

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2011, 02:32 AM
Parise09*

vCash: 500
I would also take Klefbom over Siemens. Just a gut feeling, but I like 2-way D over defensive d-man.

Old
05-28-2011, 03:01 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTO View Post
McNeil is a local product as well and he stated in the Oilers draft prospects on it's website that it would be a dream come true if he were to be drafted by the Oilers!

Also as good as Siemens may look on paper or as scouted, how different is he than Mayfield or Musil who we could snag at 31 perhaps?

I would like a

RNH
McNeil/ Miller
Mayfield

If we start building depth at center and have the problems that Philly is having with to many, there will always be takers for top tier centers around the league!

Gagner
RNH
Pitlick
Lander
McNeil / Miller
Martindale...
That sounds promising! What separates Mayfield from Siemens? Is he as ill tempered as Siemens? I know that he had astronomical pim's in the USHL, but is he legitimately tough as nails?

05-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Oil Ever View Post
i was having this discussion at work today with a bunch of guys about pick #19. after RNH is almost a certain pick for us, we started discussing our next pick at #19, and IF the Oilers wanted a defenceman and Morrow and Klefbom were availible, which would they take? seems that depending on which mock draft or scouting report you look at, one is ranked ahead of the other, so if they are that even......

......which would you take?
Klefbom.

Old
05-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I think we should find a way to draft...

Larsson, Brodin and Klefbom! Boom defense is fixed and Edmonton becomes sister cities with every city in Sweden!

Old
05-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I think we should find a way to draft...

Larsson, Brodin and Klefbom! Boom defense is fixed and Edmonton becomes sister cities with every city in Sweden!
Great potential defense and garbage at center

Old
05-28-2011, 02:32 PM
ChefTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
That sounds promising! What separates Mayfield from Siemens? Is he as ill tempered as Siemens? I know that he had astronomical pim's in the USHL, but is he legitimately tough as nails?
I don't know much about Mayfield, but from what I have read, he is tough as nails and is already 6'4'' and growing, his cousin is 6'10'' and his family is all quite large. I am not saying he will be 6'10'' cause his cousin is, but if there is significant height in the family, he may finish at 6'5'' or 6'6'' and for a guy that size and who can skate like he can, it is certainly worth a look. I just feel that it may be a waste of a pick in Siemens at 19 if we can potentially get the same d-man at 31 and perhaps pick up a guy like McNeil or Miller at 19... Just my opinion... Either way I hope the Oilers come out of the first rd including *31... with 2 C and 1 Dman.

Old
05-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTO View Post
I don't know much about Mayfield, but from what I have read, he is tough as nails and is already 6'4'' and growing, his cousin is 6'10'' and his family is all quite large. I am not saying he will be 6'10'' cause his cousin is, but if there is significant height in the family, he may finish at 6'5'' or 6'6'' and for a guy that size and who can skate like he can, it is certainly worth a look. I just feel that it may be a waste of a pick in Siemens at 19 if we can potentially get the same d-man at 31 and perhaps pick up a guy like McNeil or Miller at 19... Just my opinion... Either way I hope the Oilers come out of the first rd including *31... with 2 C and 1 Dman.
His cousin is 6'10" it doesn't mean that he'll even be 6'5". Ie. my 1st cousin is about 6' while I am 6" taller than he is. Meanwhile one of my 3rd cousins is my height while the other (from a different mother) is about 5'8", it all depends. IIRC we took Hesketh based on the same logic and IIRC he hasn't grown much since being drafted 2 drafts ago. He is however pretty tall already and it sounds like he's ill tempered, that alone sells me on him even if he is done growing. If he's a good skater then he sounds like a guy that would be great to add to our D stable.

Old
05-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
His cousin is 6'10" it doesn't mean that he'll even be 6'5". Ie. my 1st cousin is about 6' while I am 6" taller than he is. Meanwhile one of my 3rd cousins is my height while the other (from a different mother) is about 5'8", it all depends. IIRC we took Hesketh based on the same logic and IIRC he hasn't grown much since being drafted 2 drafts ago. He is however pretty tall already and it sounds like he's ill tempered, that alone sells me on him even if he is done growing. If he's a good skater then he sounds like a guy that would be great to add to our D stable.
On a similar note, what are your guys' thoughts on taking guys going the NCAA route?

Unless they are really talented, I'd rather not to be honest.

05-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
On a similar note, what are your guys' thoughts on taking guys going the NCAA route?

I'm down with later picks going that route but anything from rounds 1-3, isn't preffered.

A lot of talent in this draft, which means someone will fall. The top 10 is likely secured to be:

RNH
Larsson
Couturier
Landeskog
Hamilton
Murphy
Strome
Huberdeau
Zibenejad
Armia/Siemens/?

That leaves us the next 10 of:

Oleksiak
McNeil
Schefiele

Brodin
Klefbom

Armia/Siemens
Miller
Bartschi
Puempel
Beaulieu

There are about 6 good options there. RNH + 1 of those 6 + Musil/Morrow/Jenner/Jaskin/Grimaldi would be a great first three picks.

Old
05-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Parise09*

Quote:
You're 6'6''?! Holy sh**.

Old
05-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Parise09*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
I'm down with later picks going that route but anything from rounds 1-3, isn't preffered.

A lot of talent in this draft, which means someone will fall. The top 10 is likely secured to be:

RNH
Larsson
Couturier
Landeskog
Hamilton
Murphy
Strome
Huberdeau
Zibenejad
Armia/Siemens/?

That leaves us the next 10 of:

Oleksiak
McNeil
Schefiele

Brodin
Klefbom

Armia/Siemens
Miller
Bartschi
Puempel
Beaulieu

There are about 6 good options there. RNH + 1 of those 6 + Musil/Morrow/Jenner/Jaskin/Grimaldi would be a great first three picks.

I like your list except I'm not sold on Oleksiak for some reason. Hopefully another team ahead of us drafts him so that someone else drops to us. I'd go in this order for #19:

McNeil
Schefiele
Klefbom
Brodin
Beaulieu
Miller
Bartschi
Puempel

Old
05-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

Not a big fan of it, but it depends on if they are planning on 4 years or not. Petry was 3 years and most guys with a legit shot at the NHL don't stay all 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise09 View Post
You're 6'6''?! Holy sh**.
Yup.

Old
05-29-2011, 12:43 AM
DousedInOil

One guy who is very underrated is Sven Barstchi. IMO he hasn't looked out of place with Ryan Johansen (4th overall) and Nino Niedereiter (5th overall). If he is around at 19 it would be a steal. Their are always going to be surprises of who slips but it would be something else if one of the top 10 slipped.

11. Beaulieu
12. Bartschi
13. McNeill
14. Scheifele
15. Armia
16. Klefbom
17. Puempel
18. Brodin
19. Oleksiak

Obviously I'm not sold on Oleksiak but any of those guys from 11-18 would be awesome.

Old
05-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

RNH
Klefbom
Musil

I have a feeling it'll go like that. All the good C's will be gone by 19 (Miller, McNeil, Schefiele) and we'll pick Klefbom over Brodin. Then Musil gets taken over Grimaldi/Jaskin/Mayfield and suddenly our defensive prospect depth is really good. Then the only hole remaining really becomes a big 2C, where I would look to St. Louis/Philly or someone else for.

Old
05-29-2011, 01:08 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Came here to post my article on goalie prospect Benjamin Conz, i'd figure you guys are looking to draft a goalie and noticed a few Oilers posters have posted interest in Conz.
So give my article and read and let me know your thoughts.

http://mbsbl0g.blogspot.com/2011/05/...-charm_28.html

Old
05-29-2011, 01:12 AM
dnicks17

Conz is too small and slow.

I'd rather draft a goalie with an NHL future.

Old
05-29-2011, 01:43 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

RNH won CHL Propsect of the Year.

Old
05-29-2011, 01:56 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Not a big fan of it, but it depends on if they are planning on 4 years or not. Petry was 3 years and most guys with a legit shot at the NHL don't stay all 4 years.

Yup.
The bigger they are, the harder they fall....

I'm on the Brodin boat here personally. He has a calm, poised element cerebrally that he demonstrates in his pinpoint passing, smooth skating and fluent decision making. Plus he isn't afraid to muck it up or stand up for his teammates.

As for the Conz talk. I wanted him last year personally. I'm happier with Bunz. This year though, there are a couple thorough breads I'm a lot more keen on personally. Of the Scandinavian and not so but sometimes considered Scandinavian variety.

As Soli stated. http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/0...raft-prospect/

Old
05-29-2011, 02:45 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
The bigger they are, the harder they fall....

I'm on the Brodin boat here personally. He has a calm, poised element cerebrally that he demonstrates in his pinpoint passing, smooth skating and fluent decision making. Plus he isn't afraid to muck it up or stand up for his teammates.

As for the Conz talk. I wanted him last year personally. I'm happier with Bunz. This year though, there are a couple thorough breads I'm a lot more keen on personally. Of the Scandinavian and not so but sometimes considered Scandinavian variety.

As Soli stated. http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/0...raft-prospect/
Bring it on little man

I haven't seen the Swedish duo but it sounds like Klefbom is more of my style of D than Brodin is. That said both sound very solid. IMO we have some solid puck movers but we could use a puck mover that is also physical or a straight up top end defensive D.

Old
05-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Would anybody else here consider Rundblad and 6th overall for 1st overall?

If either Murphy or Hamilton went top 5 it would mean we're guarenteed either Couturier/Huberdeau/Landeskog. I would love to walk out with Couturier and Rundblad.

And even if Murphy/Hamilton wasn't picked top 5 we'd likely get Strome.

Old
05-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Would anybody else here consider Rundblad and 6th overall for 1st overall?

If either Murphy or Hamilton went top 5 it would mean we're guarenteed either Couturier/Huberdeau/Landeskog. I would love to walk out with Couturier and Rundblad.

And even if Murphy/Hamilton wasn't picked top 5 we'd likely get Strome.
You don't trade down when you have the #1 pick. Florida did it twice and look what it got them. Rundlad is a great prospect but the difference between Strome and RNH is too big for him to cover.

I'd do a Johansen+8 for #1 but Columbus obviously wouldn't.

Old
05-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
So I had a dream we finished off the 1st round with RNH and Dougie Hamilton.

Old
05-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

Edmonton should draft RNH and trade the farm for Couturier.

Does 19 + 31 + Gagner + Hemsky get us Couturier?

RNH - Couturier 1-2 down the middle would set this franchise up for a decade.

Old
05-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
Edmonton should draft RNH and trade the farm for Couturier.

Does 19 + 31 + Gagner + Hemsky get us Couturier?

RNH - Couturier 1-2 down the middle would set this franchise up for a decade.
I think that would get us more than Couturier. At least it better with that package.

Old
05-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
So I had a dream we finished off the 1st round with RNH and Dougie Hamilton.
I am sure Tambo is dreaming the same dream.

Closed Thread