HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Talk: Who Comes And Who Goes

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2011, 08:40 AM
boltsfanatic

vCash: 500
Anyone on here see Desjardins play much this year? Is he anywhere close to being ready for the big club? 21st in goals allowed and only an overall +7 in goals scored/allowed just won't cut it.

Also, would it be better to stay with Roloson and Smith, and slowly work in some of the young guys, then it would to drop a lot of cash on a free agent - none of which have had any real success in the playoffs? Or, is having success in the playoffs overrated???? Argh!, all the questions.....

Old
05-28-2011, 02:37 PM
DracoFulmineus
Out in a storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
Bring in Brad Richards.
Resign Bergenheim, Purcell.
This. Plus Roli. I like Smitty, but he can go.

Old
05-28-2011, 04:14 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFulmineus View Post
This. Plus Roli. I like Smitty, but he can go.
Smitty may have shown some flashes during the playoffs, but during the regular season, he's a big liability in shootouts. Roli can stay, but we need a better backup because we don't really know when Roli's downturn is going to happen...

Old
05-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

It probably isn't wise to retain both Roli and Smith next season.

The question at the heart of this is, how far do you want to push it? Is two new goalies, no matter how well they may have played elsewhere, too risky of a move?

If Smith is not the guy, that would mean retaining Roloson, which would probably also mean passing on Bryzgalov and Vokoun. But as we've seen with the acquisition of Roloson, it's not impossible to trade for a suitable #1.

No matter which direction SFY decides to take, he'll get criticism.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 05-28-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old
05-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I'd like to see Roli brought back and one of Desjardins/Tokarski as the backup. Smith is a great guy and easy to root for when he does well, but that ship has sailed and it'd be wise to just move on. Smitty will find a backup job somewhere else I'm sure but his tenure with this club will continue to be hoping that he finally puts together again and being disappointed when he doesn't.

Old
05-28-2011, 08:38 PM
sonny side up

I hope Smitty continues in the NHL.. I am just glad that Boucher did play him in 3 ECF games and he did really well in the one he started.

Old
05-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Louiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Ok, let's take a look. Our top-9 is pretty much set. Re-sign Purcell and Bergenheim and Yzerman's job is almost done at F. As for the 4th line, Thompson is here to stay of course. For the last two open slots I think it's between Tyrell of course, Blair Jones, Wright, Ashton or maybe even Hall again if Yzerman wants the young guns to play another year in the A.
Defense is going to be interesting. Hedman, Ohlund (NMC, limited NTC), Kubina (limited NTC), Clark (1 year left on contract) will most likely return. That's 4/7. I would love to see Brewer back but it really depends on what he demands. I'd be surprised if Lundin won't get re-signed. Smaby I think is gone, not sure about Randy Jones though. Before his injury he played well above 22 minutes per game and was our go-to guy on the PK. We also need a PMD that is responsible enough in our own end. MAB sent great offensive impulses to the team, especially in the playoffs. I loved his outlet passes and sometimes cheeky decisions. The downside of that kind of play is clear: Once intercepted the opposition gets a great scoring chance. I wouldn't mind him back in a 7th D-man role but it all depends on who we can acquire in the off-season.

UFAs to keep an eye on: Ehrhoff, Wisniewski, Pitkanen, Babchuk, I. White, Bieksa, Ericsson, Hannan, Clitsome, Kaberle, (Lidstrom), (Markov).

In goal it all depends on if Roloson will play another season. He's a great leader and mentor and obviously is still capable of playing on the highest level. Best case scenario for him would be a 1b- or even backup role though. If we could land Bryzgalov or Vokoun with Roloson as the #2 we'd be a force. I also wouldn't mind Smith backing up one of those two guys as he was stellar once he was the declared #2. Desjardins or Tokarski still seem to be long shots at this point of time.

Cant see Wright making the team as he wasnt even recall in the playoffs for being a black aces over players 5 years older than him (Pouliot, Angelidis)

I guess Tyrell will be there again and the other forward will be Ritola since he has a 1way deal for 2 more years.

That is if Gagne & Bergenheim are both resign... which I doubt... but they can also sign another UFA.

B.Jones has a good shot if injuries also... pretty sure Adam Hall wont be back and Ashton will be in the AHL.

Old
05-29-2011, 12:05 AM
I Am Beat You

I don't really want Roloson back. Even though he's in great shape, he'll only get a 1 year deal and it will leave us in a similar situation next season. I'd rather get an established (and not 41 year old) #1 goalie for at least a couple years and let one of Tokarski or Desjardins back him up. I don't have anything against Roloson, but to me it leaves a few question marks. I also don't hate the idea of Smith returning for cheap, but at the same time I don't want to see Desjardins and Tokarski splitting duties in Norfolk again. Don't get me wrong, Roloson has been great, but I'd rather go in a different direction. That said, re-signing him isn't the end of the world and could be Yzerman's plan anyway.

If I remember correctly, we'll have at least 22 mil of cap space to spend, and in the end it'll depend on what's left after re-signing the key FA's. I think our offense is set, and our defense needs one more well rounded player (at least top 4 caliber). As I also explained, I'd like a goalie too, but its not a necessity. This team doesn't need to make a bunch of high profile moves to be a contender next year. We've got a great core and many of our guys should only improve. I just think we're short a quality defender.

I also don't expect us to trade away any signed roster players, but frankly I can't stand the contracts of Ohlund and Kubina. At the very least, I think having them both as regulars holds back our lineup and goes against our style.

If something like this can be done-

St. Louis-Stamkos-Downie
Gagne-Lecavalier-Purcell
Bergenheim-Moore-Malone
Tyrell-Thompson-Jones

Lundin-Brewer
Hedman-Bieksa
Clark-Kubina/Ohlund

Vokoun
Tokarski/Desjardins

...I think it would put us right in the mix of likely cup winners.

I am being lazy so I haven't done the math, but we obviously have lots of money to play with. I could see Gagne being the odd man out, but I'm curious if a roster like above could work, especially given the expected salary cap increase to 62.3 I believe.

Old
05-29-2011, 02:35 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

I'd like to see Hall, Bergeron, and Smith back. Brewer as well, dude can hit.

Other than that, no real preferences on who comes or goes. I don't think it's wise to bring Roli back. As others have said, it will just be a year to year thing, and you don't know when he could break down at his age. I think Smith showed enough flashes to earn another spot.

Bergeron really played an important role in the playoffs with increased playing time due to injuries. I think he did really well. From his slapshot to his improving defensive work, I really like what we got out of him considering his major injury. I want to see him back on our blueline next year.

Hall was a faceoff maniac. He was a huge contributor to our penalty kill, and I think we can retain him for a bargain price. Players like Hall many say are easy to be found, but I like how he worked with this system and would really like to see him return.

Old
05-29-2011, 03:26 AM
MomoSissokko

it's not easy to say what is to change when a team is eliminated after such a good run and failed tightly only in the last metres

Maybe a true #1 defenseman is needed,
and maybe Stamkos is more in the Perry/Getzlaf-range
(about 6m cap hit) than in the Ovechkin/Crosby-range (above 7,5m)

If possible, I would confirm the whole forward group

Old
05-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I think a serious evaluation of both Mattias Ohlund and especially Mike Lundin need to be made. Coming into the playoffs, it seemed like we had them figured out, only to see those trends reversed.

Ohlund ain't worth the money he'll be making next season though.

Anyone know how Brett Connolly is coming along?

Old
05-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I would like to keep the forwards as it is but might be hard to keep Gagne.

The focus should be the defense and goalie situation in my mind.

05-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Rschmitz

I've listened to quite a few Yzerman interviews this season. I have zero doubt that he is going to take care of the long term solution in net and revamp the defense. He didn't hold back any punches in talking about Rolosons age being a limiter.

I think he trades for a goalie, re-signs Brewer, and goes after the top tier free agent defensemen. Ohlund and Kubina aren't going anywhere, they have NMC's. But the speed of the defense is a major weakness, so for the other four or five guys, Yzerman is going to target faster skaters. I think this pushes a guy like Ehrhoff to the very top of the free agent list and a guy like Pitkanen a little further down.

Old
05-29-2011, 11:52 AM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I think a serious evaluation of both Mattias Ohlund and especially Mike Lundin need to be made. Coming into the playoffs, it seemed like we had them figured out, only to see those trends reversed.

Ohlund was pretty much garbage for the entire regular season, whereas Lundin was, in my opinion, our best defensive defenseman. The issue is pretty clear with Lundin. He just needs to get more muscle and adjust himself more to physical play. He was obviously targeted in the playoffs, and there's no doubt in my mind that he will work hard to fix his weaknesses and use the playoffs as a learning experience. He's still young and has plenty of room for improvement, and he's got the mobility that our defense desperately needs.

Old
05-29-2011, 12:05 PM
bassassin

Quote:

Lundin I think needed this playoff run. He was utter crap for a lot of it, but IMO was coming out the otherside in the Bruins series. The Bergeron-Lundin pairing was IMO the most effective in that series. He is always going to be punished playing against teams that hit him hard and often. (Makes the whole Ranger leaving thing more annoying, Ranger and Lundin played very similarly only difference being the physicality, so while Lundin has limits meaning he is going to top out as a number 3, Ranger could have been better).

Good news is because of his early playoff performance should be cheaper to sign.

Edit: Agreed Alaskan Assassin, he was our best dman all season long. And his mobility is amazing and perfect for this system. I really hope he does bulk up a bit, pulled his profile on NHL.com 6'2 and 191lbs, not exactly huge.

Old
05-29-2011, 02:06 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:

Made it through the year, but was still dinged up. Health will always be an issue with this kid.

Lundin needs to make a serious commitment to being more physical and stronger this offseason. He was exposed heavily in the playoffs.

Old
05-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Made it through the year, but was still dinged up. Health will always be an issue with this kid.

Lundin needs to make a serious commitment to being more physical and stronger this offseason. He was exposed heavily in the playoffs.
What good would that do him if the season is over?

Old
05-29-2011, 03:26 PM
LateNightOilerFan

So how ready are your goalie prospects? I know Desjardins played a couple NHL games before the Roli trade and did very well and then didn't hear much about how he was doing after his shoulder injury. He's had lots of AHL time, what are the odds of him being re-signed by the Bolts and ready to make the move to the NHL next year? Or would Tokarski be more likely to stick with the big club out of camp?

One thing I noted was how well Smith played after he seemingly accepted his role as a backup/ was humbled by the demotion, etc. He really was the perfect backup, able to come in when he was needed to give Roli relief. Listening to his quotes he seemed to value the guidance and mentorship Roli gave him, and Roli talked about how proud he was of him. Just seems to me it was a pretty decent relationship and if kept together could really benefit the Bolts for another solid year including a deep playoff run.

As far as Roli is concerned, he certainly had the mindset the Bolts needed in goal for a deep playoff run. Even though he did tire in Round 3 (I thought he was injured) he proved if handled correctly, as Boucher did, that he could shake that off and regain that mental strength when it was needed. There's nothing else he could have done that 7th game. What really sucks in my opinion, and this comes from watching Roli play a lot against the Canucks, is he would have been solid again like in Rounds 1 & 2, had they made it through. It's like he had that struggle for a few games and then came back even stronger. I've seen him do that and then go for another fantastic stretch of play once he's battled through it.

But looking forward, Vokoun and Bryzgalov will be the most sought after UFA starters and I honestly don't know if they can bring it in the playoffs mentally like Roli did. Roli and Smith in known roles may actually be a more stable alternative next season. The kicker is they aren't long term solutions. As a Roli fan though, I can tell he really enjoyed being part of this team and he really connected with Boucher, so I hope he gets re-signed by the Bolts for another year or two.

Old
05-29-2011, 03:35 PM
TBLHoser

Then you also throw in the possibility of Viktor Fasth and Vasily Kocheshkin....

Old
05-29-2011, 03:50 PM
mpp9

Pens fan here folks. Kudos to your team on the playoff run. I'm trying to gauge where your team is capwise. Alot of people, including myself, are interested in Purcell. I'm assuming you're looking for a shutdown D like Bieksa and I'm wondering if Yzerman would be willing to shed some cap space to bring him in.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Ryan Malone ($4.500m) / Steven Stamkos ($7.500m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Simon Gagne ($3.000m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / Teddy Purcell ($2.000m)
Steve Downie ($1.850m) / Dominic Moore ($1.100m) / Sean Bergenheim ($1.500m)
Dana Tyrell ($0.845m) / Adam Hall ($1.000m) / Nate Thompson ($0.900m)
/ / FA ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Eric Brewer ($4.000m) / Mattias Ohlund ($3.607m)
Victor Hedman ($3.500m) / Brett Clark ($1.500m)
Marc-Andre Bergeron ($1.250m) / Pavel Kubina ($3.850m)
/ #7 Dman ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Dwayne Roloson ($2.500m) / Mike Smith ($2.000m)

BUYOUTS: Vaclav Prospal ($1.166m) / Todd Fedoruk ($0.375m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $63,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,596,916; BONUSES: $2,737,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $803,084

Is this a decent representation of where your team is at capwise assuming you don't make any moves next year? Ala Richards, Vokoun, Bieksa, etc.

Old
05-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

We certainly have alot more cap space than 800K going into this offseason. More like 22 million.

After these playoffs, I don't want to trade Purcell. He's the perfect forward that has all the skill in the world that if a team focus too much defensively on our Big 3, then Teddy can hurt you. You need guys like that, depth scoring forwards so to say.

The more I think about the goalies is just the thought of not to not do anything really. Re-sign Roli and bring up one of CD or Tik as the backup. Roli showed he can still play as a #1 with 50 or so games and a young backup to play the spot starts and gain some experience from playing behind Roli. Smith was good as a backup, but that's all he'd be and it'd be just be a short term solution to the goaltending. With Roli/CD or Tik, there's the present and future in play.

I'd also like to target Grant Clitsome as the Randy Jones/MAB replacement if the Jackets don't re-up him. I think he'd be a good fit on our 1st PP unit and he has some offensive skills.

So to the poster above, that capgeek thing you posted isn't accurate. Certainly won't be paying 2 million for a back up goalie. Nor giving 1 million to Adam Hall, or giving MAB a raise of 250K. Bergenheim won't be getting 1.5 from us atleast, on the open market perhaps, but not from us.

Old
05-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Rschmitz

I think purcell being a complimentary winger and coming off of such a great season is exactly why you can deal him. He has a big pay day coming up, other teams will pay high, and you have several cheap prospects who will need a position. If he isn't part of the core than he has a high probability of being traded. I think the same thing holds true for clark.

Old
05-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
We certainly have alot more cap space than 800K going into this offseason. More like 22 million.

After these playoffs, I don't want to trade Purcell. He's the perfect forward that has all the skill in the world that if a team focus too much defensively on our Big 3, then Teddy can hurt you. You need guys like that, depth scoring forwards so to say.

The more I think about the goalies is just the thought of not to not do anything really. Re-sign Roli and bring up one of CD or Tik as the backup. Roli showed he can still play as a #1 with 50 or so games and a young backup to play the spot starts and gain some experience from playing behind Roli. Smith was good as a backup, but that's all he'd be and it'd be just be a short term solution to the goaltending. With Roli/CD or Tik, there's the present and future in play.

I'd also like to target Grant Clitsome as the Randy Jones/MAB replacement if the Jackets don't re-up him. I think he'd be a good fit on our 1st PP unit and he has some offensive skills.

So to the poster above, that capgeek thing you posted isn't accurate. Certainly won't be paying 2 million for a back up goalie. Nor giving 1 million to Adam Hall, or giving MAB a raise of 250K. Bergenheim won't be getting 1.5 from us atleast, on the open market perhaps, but not from us.
There's also the whole 7D thing, which would probably mean we have 8 defensemen on the NHL roster for significant amounts of time.

Old
05-29-2011, 05:10 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Pens fan here folks. Kudos to your team on the playoff run. I'm trying to gauge where your team is capwise. Alot of people, including myself, are interested in Purcell. I'm assuming you're looking for a shutdown D like Bieksa and I'm wondering if Yzerman would be willing to shed some cap space to bring him in.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Ryan Malone ($4.500m) / Steven Stamkos ($7.500m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Simon Gagne ($3.000m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / Teddy Purcell ($2.000m)
Steve Downie ($1.850m) / Dominic Moore ($1.100m) / Sean Bergenheim ($1.500m)
Dana Tyrell ($0.845m) / Adam Hall ($1.000m) / Nate Thompson ($0.900m)
/ / FA ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Eric Brewer ($4.000m) / Mattias Ohlund ($3.607m)
Victor Hedman ($3.500m) / Brett Clark ($1.500m)
Marc-Andre Bergeron ($1.250m) / Pavel Kubina ($3.850m)
/ #7 Dman ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Dwayne Roloson ($2.500m) / Mike Smith ($2.000m)

BUYOUTS: Vaclav Prospal ($1.166m) / Todd Fedoruk ($0.375m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $63,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,596,916; BONUSES: $2,737,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $803,084

Is this a decent representation of where your team is at capwise assuming you don't make any moves next year? Ala Richards, Vokoun, Bieksa, etc.
Actually, Gagne, Bergenheim, Hall, Brewer, Bergeron, Rolison & Smith are all UFAs. Fedoruk is also off the books.

Old
05-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I wonder if the Rangers would be willing to part with Del Zotto? He'd get a chance to work on the PP on both units and has great offensive abilities and could be that puckmover we're looking for while working to improve his defensive game with Lacroix. Seems to get along with Stamkos alot too judging by Twitter.

The best case scenario is just for Hedman to get his offensive game fully together. When Victor carries the puck up himself up ice with a good head of steam it's a pretty sight to see. Just wish he could hit the damn net. LOL

Closed Thread