HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

ROOT SPORTS Pittsburgh Broadcast Changes?

Old
05-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Inklings
and you feel shame

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
Maybe something like this?

Inklings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 09:32 AM
AltDess

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/pe...f93759352.html

Madden: Penguins' crowded booth
Quote:
....Penguins management reportedly feels Steigerwald is lazy and often lacks preparation.
Too worried about appearance, not enough about content.
Management also feels Steigerwald is unworried about these concerns....
Who from "Penguins Management" told Madden this?
Did they give him the OK to put it in print?
Tom McMillan was on Madden's show that very day, albeit talking about something entirely different, he surely knew about the article and "rumor".

Why would Madden, an alleged part of the "Penguins Family", print something so scathing against another member of the "Penguins Family"?

IMO, there is a reason Madden put this in print and spent a week talking about, and I don't think it was simply rumor mongering.
The Penguins management quotes got much to personal for that:
"lazy and often lacks preparation"

Obviously the Pens or Root Sports had discussions with Steigerwald about their concerns, and equally obviously Steigerwald blew them off:
"Management also feels Steigerwald is unworried about these concerns"

So, why the "Rumors are flying" article?
Was it sanctioned by the Pens?
Was it a trail balloon floated by Penguins management to gauge fan reaction about Steigerwald?
Was it to scare Steigerwald straight? (will it work or just piss him off?)

Why was all this internal "Penguins Family" business made public?

Another clue, Madden's first comments about this were on a Monday morning.
Bob Smizik, of all people, had a blog post defending Steigerwald the previous Saturday, before any Madden rumor.
Why would Smizik take time from live blogging Pirates batting practice to post something out of the blue defending Steigerwald?
Who was his source? Steigerwald?

Something is fishy.

AltDess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltDess View Post
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/pe...f93759352.html

Madden: Penguins' crowded booth

Who from "Penguins Management" told Madden this?
Did they give him the OK to put it in print?
Tom McMillan was on Madden's show that very day, albeit talking about something entirely different, he surely knew about the article and "rumor".

Why would Madden, an alleged part of the "Penguins Family", print something so scathing against another member of the "Penguins Family"?

IMO, there is a reason Madden put this in print and spent a week talking about, and I don't think it was simply rumor mongering.
The Penguins management quotes got much to personal for that:
"lazy and often lacks preparation"

Obviously the Pens or Root Sports had discussions with Steigerwald about their concerns, and equally obviously Steigerwald blew them off:
"Management also feels Steigerwald is unworried about these concerns"

So, why the "Rumors are flying" article?
Was it sanctioned by the Pens?
Was it a trail balloon floated by Penguins management to gauge fan reaction about Steigerwald?
Was it to scare Steigerwald straight? (will it work or just piss him off?)

Why was all this internal "Penguins Family" business made public?

Another clue, Madden's first comments about this were on a Monday morning.
Bob Smizik, of all people, had a blog post defending Steigerwald the previous Saturday, before any Madden rumor.
Why would Smizik take time from live blogging Pirates batting practice to post something out of the blue defending Steigerwald?
Who was his source? Steigerwald?

Something is fishy.
First of all: Steigerwald is not a Penguins employee. He is an employee of Root Sports.

Second: Madden has printed false rumors many times in the past. By writing scathing articles about the team, and spouting stuff like this on his radio show, he gets people to pay attention to him, and thus, drives up his ratings - which happens to be what his pay is based on. So you might see how Madden has a bit of self-interest in promoting things that will get attention, even if they aren't accurate.

Finally, you are assuming that he got this information from inside the "Penguins family" - I'm not entirely convinced that his "source" wasn't "Madden's head"... or perhaps, another portion of his body located a bit further down and to the back.

As for Smizik - people complain about Steigerwald all the time. If anything, seeing that article from Smizik could have gotten Madden to decide that this was the perfect time to come up with a rumor about Steigerwald being removed. You're assuming that Smizik, who has never been a hockey fan, and has no contacts within the Penguins, would have gotten insider information from which to base his decision to write about Steigerwald, while I'm assuming that Madden, being the opportunist that he is, saw the reaction to that blog and seized the opportunity to get more attention. Looks like Madden succeeded, to me.

Really, there is no motivation for Root Sports, who is Steigerwald's employer, to make a change there - if they replaced him with Emerick, that would cost them more money. Meanwhile, Penguins broadcasts are bringing in the highest ratings of any regional hockey coverage in the country. They aren't going to make a change there, especially since the Penguins gave up any leverage they would have had by signing a long-term deal with Root Sports already. Unless getting rid of Steigerwald was a secret condition for that contract, you're going to see Steigerwald as the Root Sports play-by-play man next season.

Well, I suppose there is one other possibility: if Steigerwald wanted too much money, he might be replaced. Of course, he'd likely be replaced with someone cheaper, not with Emerick. Same as when Lange wanted too much money to stay with FSN, and got replaced with Steigerwald in the first place.

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
First of all: Steigerwald is not a Penguins employee. He is an employee of Root Sports.

Second: Madden has printed false rumors many times in the past. By writing scathing articles about the team, and spouting stuff like this on his radio show, he gets people to pay attention to him, and thus, drives up his ratings - which happens to be what his pay is based on. So you might see how Madden has a bit of self-interest in promoting things that will get attention, even if they aren't accurate.

Finally, you are assuming that he got this information from inside the "Penguins family" - I'm not entirely convinced that his "source" wasn't "Madden's head"... or perhaps, another portion of his body located a bit further down and to the back.

As for Smizik - people complain about Steigerwald all the time. If anything, seeing that article from Smizik could have gotten Madden to decide that this was the perfect time to come up with a rumor about Steigerwald being removed. You're assuming that Smizik, who has never been a hockey fan, and has no contacts within the Penguins, would have gotten insider information from which to base his decision to write about Steigerwald, while I'm assuming that Madden, being the opportunist that he is, saw the reaction to that blog and seized the opportunity to get more attention. Looks like Madden succeeded, to me.

Really, there is no motivation for Root Sports, who is Steigerwald's employer, to make a change there - if they replaced him with Emerick, that would cost them more money. Meanwhile, Penguins broadcasts are bringing in the highest ratings of any regional hockey coverage in the country. They aren't going to make a change there, especially since the Penguins gave up any leverage they would have had by signing a long-term deal with Root Sports already. Unless getting rid of Steigerwald was a secret condition for that contract, you're going to see Steigerwald as the Root Sports play-by-play man next season.

Well, I suppose there is one other possibility: if Steigerwald wanted too much money, he might be replaced. Of course, he'd likely be replaced with someone cheaper, not with Emerick. Same as when Lange wanted too much money to stay with FSN, and got replaced with Steigerwald in the first place.
Agreed. Madden will say or write anything that might make someone pay attention to his drivel. Smizik will say or write anything that makes his opinion look contrary to the popular opinion, especially during times when he's not exactly overloaded with interesting story topics.

I'd love it if this were true, but it probably isn't.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I believe the most likely possibility is there was concern about Steigerwald that he got wind of somehow (rumors fly in every professional circle, right - and there's usually some grain of truth to it), and Madden exaggerated it by attributing false but vague claims, to get attention. And of course if he doesn't name names there's nothing legal the ROOT / the Pens can do about it. He can just say "that's what I heard" or "that was my understanding, but I wasn't sure so I didn't name any particular person."

Of all the media idiots in the Pens' market, as much as I dislike Steigerwald and Rossi sometimes, Madden sits in his own realm of idiocy, due mostly to his unwarranted arrogance (thinks he knows way more than he does) and total lack of ethics with this kind of stuff. Major blow-hard. I'd also say of all the media guys likely to read/post/get ideas from this board under a random name, he is the most likely, Rossi second, Steigerduntz third.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 05-29-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
I believe the most likely possibility is there was concern about Steigerwald that he got wind of somehow (rumors fly in every professional circle, right - and there's usually some grain of truth to it), and Madden exaggerated it by attributing false but vague claims, to get attention. And of course if he doesn't name names there's nothing legal the ROOT / the Pens can do about it. He can just say "that's what I heard" or "that was my understanding, but I wasn't sure so I didn't name any particular person."

Of all the media idiots in the Pens' market, as much as I dislike Steigerwald and Rossi sometimes, Madden sits in his own realm of idiocy, due mostly to his unwarranted arrogance (thinks he knows way more than he does) and total lack of ethics with this kind of stuff. Major blow-hard. I'd also say of all the media guys likely to read/post/get ideas from this board under a random name, he is the most likely, Rossi second, Steigerduntz third.
QFT.

Except, I do remember Rossi coming in here and posted under his own name.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
QFT.

Except, I do remember Rossi coming in here and posted under his own name.

Could be. My point was less about the name, than likelihood of fishing the forum for ideas and re-spinning it for their platform, as a way to pretend like they have some inside info they don't actually have, etc. I can see Madden doing this on a regular basis during deadline time, FA time and maybe at the start of the season.

Old
05-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Could be. My point was less about the name, than likelihood of fishing the forum for ideas and re-spinning it for their platform, as a way to pretend like they have some inside info they don't actually have, etc. I can see Madden doing this on a regular basis during deadline time, FA time and maybe at the start of the season.
You're probably right. I remember times in the past when i still listened to him when he would throw out an idea for a trade or a guy he said he really wanted the Pens to draft, and it just coincidentally happened to be the exact topic and player du jour on the Pens Board the previous 3 or 4 days.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Dylonus

As long as we get rid of one or both of Errey and Steigy, I'll be happy. Please Steigy first.

I'd rather hear Bob Walk announce Penguin games.

Hell, I'd gladly invite Jack Edwards before Steigy.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

As sad a statement / indictment as it is, I too would prefer Edwards to Steigy but he's home-grown Boston I believe. He's not going anywhere.