Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Soccer prospects discussion threads Part III ‎

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2010, 01:19 AM
Belizarius

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Belizarius
I have a strong feeling Lacazette could be one of the surprises of the season...

Old
08-12-2010, 03:53 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69 View Post
Nice to see the new L1 list, haven't really seen enough of half the players on it.

I too have a couple of questions, mostly regarding players not making your list and how would you rate them.

First, Yacine Brahimi, I think he turned down representing Algeria, so he must fancy his chances for a France call-up in the future. From what I have seen, he is good offensively, how would you rate him compared to players you listed.

Secondly, what's your opinion of some goalies, who have represented France at youth level. I see you put Ospina there, and I agree his probably the best younger keeper in the league.

But do you see enough upside in Yohann Thuram and Anthony Mfa Mezui to one day become a borderline international keeper or at least a starter in the league? And what about Giorgi Makaridze, seems to have enough of physical ability, and he already has 5 caps for Georgia aged 20, which isn't too much for a keeper to maybe progress quite a bit still.

And lastly, Nigeria's Ideye Brown, who was a late addition to their WC squad (but didn't play). He qualifies by his age (1988 born) and maybe hasn't too much potential left, and wasn't a huge hit in Sochaux for the sizeable transfer fee they paid for, but he scored quite a bit in Switzerland. Maybe he could do better this season after getting acclimatized. Where would you rate him?
Brahimi would have been a top 20... if he was eligible. He hadn't played an L1 game when I made the list (he has since).
For goalies, you could talk about Olimpa too. I thought about these guys, same with Brown, but in the end I thought they were outside the top 50 or didn't have enough upside.

For instance, France rarely ever overclasses (I don't know the english word, but it means you put a young player on a youth selection) any player. Off the top of my head, only Diallo (U19 champs this summer as an 18 year old), Yaya Sanogo (U19 as a 17 year old this week), Mamadou Sakho (in every catagory) and Elaquim Mangala were "overclassed".
So yes I put Diallo, Ospina and Dreyer, whom I liked in nearly every game I saw.
I'm always tentative for goalies, because they're hard to judge, especially since they have so few opportunities to shine.
In the past, I have rated Rémy Riou, and he's still a backup. Benoit Costil, who was so good in youth selections is now playing Ligue 2.

I think I was very high on Lloris from very early on, but otherwise, I've made some mistakes on goalie ratings.

Old
08-12-2010, 04:36 AM
Evilo

And one other thing about youth selection goalies : how many of them have a great career?
Recently, I can only think of Cech and Lloris (there are surely others). Some spectacular goalies in youth selections never break out.
As I said, goalies have very few opportunities and when they don't seize it, they're finished.
Costil is a very good example. Dominant goalie in youth selections, he had a window of opportunity (a very small one) with Caen, he didn't succeed, he was shipped out.
Goalies are a special branch, and their biggest quality must be mental, which is why it's so hard to project 18 year old.

Old
08-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
You sure are high on Hazard.

Old
08-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Evilo

Be ready to see Belguim emerge as a super power in 20 years.
Jean-Marc Guillou has openned an academy in Belgium! I hadn't heard about it, but apparenly, it's in (near?) Lierse.

Old
08-15-2010, 12:35 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Glad to see you back Evilo!

Old
08-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Evilo

thanks td. I've been back during the WC. Been lurking the soccer board since.

Old
08-15-2010, 01:15 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Jean-Marc Guillou has openned an academy in Belgium! I hadn't heard about it, but apparenly, it's in (near?) Lierse.
Might be a bit sooner than that, have a decent core coming together with Vermaelen, Kompany, Fellaini, Defour, Vertonghen, Hazard, Lukaku, it's a pity that qualifying for major tournaments is so tough for them.

Old
08-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
They all can play. They just can't play together.

Old
08-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I still think they need a few of those players to step up on the International Level to see it improve a lot quickly.

Most have talent, sure, but it might take a bit for Hazard and the rest to put it out there on a large stage.

Old
11-26-2010, 03:53 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 100
Sime Vrsaljko (18; right back/left back; Dinamo Zagreb, CRO; Croatia U19/U21)

Usually I don't hype talents from the Croatian league too much but I am buying into Vrsaljko. He apparently already has interests from top EPL and Bundesliga clubs and is a standard player for Dinamo Zagreb at 18 years old. He is on the fringes of the Croatian national team as well and should be playing for Croatia at the next summer's U20 World Cup. He can play at right back and left back. For Dinamo he plays right back as well at the U19 European Championships but with the U21s he plays as a left back and with the senior NT he is considered a left back

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0ime_Vrsaljko

The last time I posted in one of these threads was Dejan Lovren when he was with Dinamo Zagreb, now he is with Lyon (though fairly inconsistent, it is expected with a 21 year old defender) so hopefully my predictions continue to be correct

Old
01-18-2011, 02:44 AM
les Habs

Rafa Alcantara, Thiago's little brother, has been promoted to Barça B. He was doing really well with Juvenile A this season. Hopefully he gets the playing time with the B team, but regardless it'll definitely be a jump in competition with the B team being in Liga Adelente.

Old
02-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Kshahdoo

Hehe, there is an american player in Zenit with a typical american name Evgeny Starikov. Yesterday, he scored his first goal in preseason game vs Lokomotiv Plovdiv (Bulgaria)... It happened to be a winning goal actually. Zenit won 2-1...

Last edited by Kshahdoo: 02-03-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old
02-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Juni

Been two and a half years since my last prospects rankings on this forum...don't think they've done too badly myself. Possebon the only miss on the top 5 so far, although Wilshere would be #1 on a re-draft. Welbeck's doing nicely enough though.

Reckon if I did another one now I'd do a better job, benefitting from the extra two years of knowledge, insight and cynicism I've got.

Old
04-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Juni

So England perhaps surprisingly upset Spain to qualify for the European Under-17 Championships. Nowhere near as strong a team which won it last year, but interesting nonetheless.

France joined them on a hilarious last day where they and Norway went into their matches knowing the bigger winner would qualify. Norway won 5-0, France won 9-0.

Hosts Serbia, along with Denmark, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Germany, and Romania complete the Finalists. Draw is later today.

Old
05-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Evilo

Well, Mbaye Niang has just scored against Marseille and has 3 goals in 3 starts at age 16.
The guy's now completely at ease and shows excellent technique with his right foot. He's quicker than I thought and is a nice dribbler for a guy his size.
He has a huge package and huge potential.

Old
05-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Plato

vCash: 1000
Quote:
He has a huge package and huge potential.
Evilo, I'm not sure you know what you've implied here.

Old
05-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Evilo

Haha !

Old
05-29-2011, 04:33 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Evilo, I'm not sure you know what you've implied here.
Evilo knows everything about French prospects

Old
05-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Evilo

Old
06-01-2011, 03:12 PM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

Quote:
The same Guillou who runs Académie Paradou in Algeria

They recently dominated FC Barcelona (in a 0-0 draw) and lost to Villareal 2-3 (all 3 teams were the 15-16 y/o)

Old
06-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
New U-19's competition for next year. Will be done Champions League style, with groups of four playing home and aways and then a knockout stage will occur later in the season.

http://www.nextgenseries.com/

The teams on their website are Marseille, Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon, Liverpool, Inter Milan, Molde, Rosenborg, PSV, Celtic, Fenerbahce, Basel, Werder Bremen, Manchester City, Aston Villa, Tottenham Hotspur. In case I'm missing something there's room for one more to reach their goal of 16 participants.

I hope this competition is successful and it encourages more teams to offer up youth teams to a point where it can be just like a Champions League competition. In fact UEFA should be using CL revenues in order to run one rather than have it done this way. This should have been done a while ago.

Old
06-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Plato

vCash: 1000
No Ajax?
Blasphemy.

Old
07-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
No longer blasphemy, they have joined.

Old
07-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Its going to be entertaining. Liverpools group was released the other day. I think we got Lisbon, Molde and Bremen, but I am on the cell and can't recall.

Closed Thread