HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Looks like Kraft is done for the Pens

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2005, 11:23 PM
Skyy47

vCash: 500
Looks like Kraft is done for the Pens

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05233/557320.stm

Old
08-20-2005, 11:26 PM
DJ Spinoza

I can't believe Finder just speculated that the Pens would let Malone walk. I find it hard to believe that they would give 1 mil/year to Andre Roy but won't to Malone.

Old
08-20-2005, 11:28 PM
CRUNK JUICE

Send a message via AIM to CRUNK JUICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
I can't believe Finder just speculated that the Pens would let Malone walk. I find it hard to believe that they would give 1 mil/year to Andre Roy but won't to Malone.

I agree. Finder's out to lunch on this one.

Old
08-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Robert Paulson*

"Milan Kraft no longer is in negotiations with the Penguins because he no longer fits into their plans"

What happened to him being signed less than a week ago?

Old
08-20-2005, 11:46 PM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
I have a hard time believing this. We were talking to Damphousse and Stumpel yet we can't sign Malone or Kraft for 1 or 2 mil? I have a hard time believing Kraft could fetch 2 mil elsewhere, but who knows.

Old
08-21-2005, 12:10 AM
PensFan27

Send a message via AIM to PensFan27 Send a message via Yahoo to PensFan27
Wow we BETTER SIGN KRAFT im one of his biggest fans, and as of now hes our 2nd line center.

Old
08-21-2005, 12:19 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
They're just playing hardball with him. They'll pretend that they think he's only worth half a million, but will bite the bullet and offer him a million bucks on a multi year deal and they'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

To get Malone for a million bucks is a bargain, but they'll play hardball so they can sign him for longer term. Malone's camp will feel they won by getting the million they asked for, and the Pens will insist on a 2 or 3 year deal. Maybe 1million the first year, moving up to 1.3 and then 1.6 or something.

If they could get him locked up like that, they will be in an absolutely awesome position. Esepcially because the way things stand, Malone will centre one of the top 2 lines and get a ton of points this season and demand huge dollars going forward.

As an aside, if it's true that Crosby will indeed play centre as this article suggests and Malkin does not come over, we absolutely HAVE TO sign Aleksey Morozov. We need that extra forward depth and we'd be SCREWED if Palffy got injured. It would give us great insurance and extra depth, not to mention a legitimate 3rd scoring line.

It's also good to see that it looks like Kris Beech will have a real chance to make this team. I may be in the minority here, but I really believe Kris Beech may very well be able to develop into a 1st or 2nd line centre in the NHL. He has all the skills and hockey smarts in the world, and if he get's going, look out. Finally, just as happened with Tanguay, Hejduk, Renprecht and Drury in Colorado, Beech could get to really start his NHL career playing with elite all-star players.

Old
08-21-2005, 12:21 AM
RR1107

wow, if this is accurate, it sure casts a dark shadow over the incredible off-season we have had. What do the Pens plan to do, rebuild the entire NHL Roster? Not signing Kraft at least would make some sense if the team had a deep stock of experienced centermen, but he is currently the MOST experiecned center on the team! And as for Malone, that would, in my view, be not only a waste of a great player, but a PR nightmare. So many grew to like Malone last season, that it would be a shame to let the local boy walk away for 500K, especially, as is noted above, when they are paying Andre Roy 1Mill.

Old
08-21-2005, 01:43 AM
craig1

Seems like all speculation to me.

Remember, Finder reported Kraft was signed, then 2 sentences later said he remained unsigned.....in the same article.

I take everthing he says with a grain of salt until he proves a string of accuracy.

Old
08-21-2005, 02:08 AM
CRUNK JUICE

Send a message via AIM to CRUNK JUICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1
Seems like all speculation to me.

Remember, Finder reported Kraft was signed, then 2 sentences later said he remained unsigned.....in the same article.

I take everthing he says with a grain of salt until he proves a string of accuracy.

I hope so. It wouldn't be smart to let this guy go, especially when there's a chance Malkin won't come over this season. If we are going to trade him, it'd make a lot more sense to do it after next season, as it seems to me he has the potential to break out and have a very good year.

Old
08-21-2005, 02:19 AM
12# Peter Bondra

In one czech hockey article, Kraft's agent says that his client (Kraft) has a luxury offer from Russia (And Rozsival too from Russia) and he says that if they dont come to an agreement with the Pens that Kraft will sign in Russia. He says that Kraft has to decide till the 30th of August cause thats when Russian teams put in their rosters to the League directorate.

So, it seems Kraft has other offers and isnt a sure thing to return.

Old
08-21-2005, 02:27 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
CP better trade him fast before Kraft agrees to that russian contract.

Old
08-21-2005, 05:59 AM
Der Schweinehund

Here's a trade thought...

Kraft and Fata to Magnitogorsk for Malkin

Old
08-21-2005, 06:52 AM
tom_servo

Ryan Malone no longer is an easy fit in their projected salary cap, with the Penguins seeking a figure not far removed from their original $552,500 qualifying offer and with the homegrown center/winger -- their leading goal- scorer in 2003-04 -- looking for a deal up to twice that amount, for openers.

That's a seriously irritating thing to read. Even if Malone did get a million bucks, he'd fit under the cap just fine.

Old
08-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Ryan Malone no longer is an easy fit in their projected salary cap, with the Penguins seeking a figure not far removed from their original $552,500 qualifying offer and with the homegrown center/winger -- their leading goal- scorer in 2003-04 -- looking for a deal up to twice that amount, for openers.

That's a seriously irritating thing to read. Even if Malone did get a million bucks, he'd fit under the cap just fine.
Amen.

Old
08-21-2005, 09:39 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Pure speculation from a fill-in writer who hasn't been very accurate to begin with. I take anything Finder says with a grain of salt.

I agree they're probably just playing hard ball with these guys, seeing how little they can get them for. I'm sure they'll eventually reach an agreement.

And Skyy47, what is it you have against Kraft? You have yet to explain why you don't like him at all, and keep posting links to articles that say "Kraft doesnt have a contract"

Old
08-21-2005, 09:54 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schweinehund
Here's a trade thought...

Kraft and Fata to Magnitogorsk for Malkin
Your joke isn't very funny; it's actually a pretty good idea!

The Pens could let Magnitogorsk negotiate with Kraft even though his rights still belong to Pittsburgh, which would help them fill a void at centre if Malkin were to leave. It's a great idea in theory, but I don't think the NHL would approve of such a transaction.

In any event, I don't know why the Pens don't just lock Kraft up for a million bucks or so on a one or two year deal. I would think it would make trading him easier. I'm also not sure that he is really receiving offers that are that lucrative from Russia, unless it's coming from Ak Bars who wants Kraft to play with Morozov if he stays. (one a side note, I like the fact that we haven't heard anything definitive about Morozov staying in Russia this season. Makes it seem more likely that he will be coming back to the NHL, either to the Pens or in a trade).

As far as destinations for Kraft, I could think of several teams that would/should be interested. Both Edmonton and Calgary would be great destinations for him. Other teams that should be interested and could use some depth at centre are: Buffalo, Carolina, Washington, Atlanta, Islanders and Rangers in the east; Chicago, Collumbus, L.A., Nashville, and St.Louis for sure. All these teams could either use a top-2 centre, some talented young scoring depth in their system or both. There should be quite a large market for Kraft and the return should be fairly significant. But I still think it would make sense for the Pens to sign him first and then trade him. That way, he could always start the season with the Pens, be "showcased" and then traded.

Old
08-21-2005, 11:12 AM
PACaptain

I was disheartened to hear that Milan Kraft no longer appears to be in the plans, but like was said it was reported by Finder, so there is still time. I think there is close to NO chance that Malone would walk. In the article Finder mentions Shaun Van Allen as a guy the Pens might sign? Why not just bring back Eastwood if that's the direction we are going? As a supporter of Kraft, I hold out hope that he will make it back to the Penguins. Lord knows that local media has been wrong about Penguins transactions before. I mean Aleksey Morozov was traded about 40 times already if you believe everything they say.

This would be good news for Kris Beech, but I think that if given the choice most people would choose Kraft over Beech with all things being equal. If Kraft does not fit our plans, I could definitely see him in Nashville for a defenseman. They need centermen there and he would likely play on one of the top two lines.

Old
08-21-2005, 11:33 AM
tom_servo

There's no chance that Malone walks, if only because a trade would be the obvious solution (and there certainly is demand for someone like Malone), but there's no reason why Malone wouldn't fit into the team's plans. He the rare physical forward who can play a spot on the top six, and versatile enough to play center or wing (though he's probably better on the wing).

The only scenario in which Malone is off this roster is if he's holds out for more money, or if the Pens include him in a hockey trade (as opposed to a salary-dumping trade).

There's no reason to believe that Malone will be the odd man out, like Chuck Finder implies. There's a spot for him on the roster.

Old
08-21-2005, 11:57 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Hey Guys,

I get a weird feeling that we might just see Kraft getting traded to Calgary for Tony Lydman. They're both of the same age and both have the same potential.

As for Malone, I'm very confident that we'll see him back in the line-up. Mario loves the kid and Craig has seen him grow up over the years. The PG's article has no substance over the matter. The writer was clearly drunk when typing it out!

Old
08-21-2005, 12:08 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

I could also see a Kraft for Witt trade. Maybe Witt and a 3rd rounder or something.

Old
08-21-2005, 12:12 PM
1penzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney79
Hey Guys,

I get a weird feeling that we might just see Kraft getting traded to Calgary for Tony Lydman. They're both of the same age and both have the same potential.

As for Malone, I'm very confident that we'll see him back in the line-up. Mario loves the kid and Craig has seen him grow up over the years. The PG's article has no substance over the matter. The writer was clearly drunk when typing it out!
If Lydman and Kraft are the same age and have the same potential they why wouldn't the Pens just keep Kraft.

I agree with some earlier posts that management is just playing hard ball to keep the eventual signing value as low as possible.

Kraft and Malone put up the best numbers two years ago on a team that was not very good. Does that make them and their agents feel like they are worth outrageous sums of money? I hope not. But it also should make the Pens organization try to screw them out of what they deserve either.

I hope a happy medium can be struck for $1 - $1.2 million a piece for both Malone and Kraft. They played hard on a bad team and showed some loyalty to the organization. Time for the organization to recognize that.

Old
08-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Til the End of Time

Kraft is one of the few young players that has actually done something at the NHL level. To ditch him in favor of rookies or some free agent scurb would be stupid.

Old
08-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Jag68Sid87

If Patrick could somehow pull off a Kraft for Lydman trade, he'd reach genius status. I just don't think that's a fair deal from a Calgary perspective.

Old
08-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
Kraft is one of the few young players that has actually done something at the NHL level. To ditch him in favor of rookies or some free agent scurb would be stupid.
When the rookies are named Crosby and Malkin, it's not stupid at all.

Closed Thread