HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What if....

Old
05-29-2011, 07:00 PM
stubbadub

vCash: 500
What if....

Who would we have gone after do you believe if Price went 4th? Would we have picked Pouliot? Would it have shaken the whole first round up to have forced some teams to go other routes? The top 3 were pretty much set in stone as I recall. What position would we have had to cover most? In my opinion I would have gone with the safe pick of Staal if Price wasn't there, but hindsight is always 20/20!

Here's the draft link to help out
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2005e.html

Last edited by stubbadub: 05-30-2011 at 11:02 PM.
stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I'm pretty sure it would have been Pouliot and we would have been in deep troouble.

Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:06 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbadub View Post
Who would we have gone after do you believe? Would we have picked Pouliot? Would it have shaken the whole first round up to have forced some teams to go other routes? The top 3 were pretty much set in stone as I recall. What position would we have had to cover most? In my opinion I would have gone with the safe pick of Staal if Price wasn't there, but hindsight is always 20/20!

Here's the draft link to help out
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2005e.html

we would of been in deep ****

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 05-29-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Circumventing filter
shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Talks to Goalposts

I think they would have actually ended up drafting Marc Staal, the other of the two options Timmins gave Gainey. I figure the scouts had ended up deciding on one forward (Pouliot) one defenseman (Staal) and one goaltender (Price) and left the final decision to the GM.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Andros777

I hear BG really wanted to draft Pouliot that year. Maybe he would have developed better here though.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:09 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I'm pretty sure it would have been Pouliot and we would have been in deep troouble.
I guess you forgot we had Halak who would be our starter. Still Pouliot would of been a flop but at least we couldn't trade Lats for him

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:10 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
It would have been Pouliot, Brule, or Bourdon. I remember non-chalantly saying Brule's name a millisecond before Price's and then wondering WTH happened. It wasn't until a buddy of mine that scouts for Tri-Cities convinced me we picked someone special that I was sold.

If you want to go down that road....would Bourdon's life path have changed enough that he doesn't get into that accident?

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:12 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...p20_prospects/

These were our prospects at the time of the draft, I remember the Habs were high on Staal and our defensive prospects were absolutely hilarious so my bet is we would've taken Staal.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:14 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Probably Pouliot. In other news, what a terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible draft!

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Not necessarily. We would still have Halak and wouldn't have been able to trade Latendresse for Pouliot.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:18 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Probably Pouliot. In other news, what a terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible draft!
What do you mean Habs had 4 legit NHLers

Price
Lats
D'Agostini
S Kostitsyn

It's too bad they gave up early or didn't fully develop them.

Old
05-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post

Price
Lats
D'Agostini
S Kostitsyn

I'm not sold on Dags as a legit NHLer. I'd be shocked if he can reproduce what he did last season.

Old
05-29-2011, 07:24 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I'm not sold on Dags as a legit NHLer. I'd be shocked if he can reproduce what he did last season.
Yes but look at the 2006 draft. Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch.

Old
05-29-2011, 07:25 PM
ThaDevilGirl

What if the Habs had drafted Latendresse in the first round like Savard wanted?

****** history was avoided.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:27 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Yes but look at the 2006 draft. Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch.
2006 was a pretty damn good draft.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:29 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
2006 was a pretty damn good draft.
Wanna swap then

Old
05-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Going into that draft I kept hearing about us drafting Kopitar. The only thing that might have changed this is the fact that Poulliot is french.

If it turned out to be Kopitar we'd still be okay. If it was Poulliot we'd be screwed.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Megaforce

Jayyyyz! C'mon moderators, you guys are zapping my query about how much goaltender Desjardins earns and you let this morbid discussion happen? It's just too freakishly ghoulish to ask if young Bourdon would have lived if he had been drafted by Montreal. Didja ever see Run Lola Run? I mean, if you get a red light at the corner your entire destiny could change. Speculating on that stuff will drive you mad. Let the poor guy rest in peace.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

What if: Atlanta accepted our offer at the 2001 Draft?

This thread got me thinking: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=918918

According to old issues of THN, and an all-access show I remember watching, Montreal was rumored to be a major player in the weeks and days leading up to the 2001 entry draft. Of all the teams, we apparently had the most serious offer on the table for the 1st overall pick. This is what apparently was on the table:

To Montreal:

1st overall pick

To Atlanta:

Andrei Markov
Mathieu Garon
7th overall pick
25th overall pick

Rumor has it that Waddell requested Jose Theodore as part of the package instead of Garon, but Andre Savard wouldn't budge.

My question is, assuming either of these deals (Theo or Garon) would have went through, how do you think it would have changed the course of history over the next 10 years?

We wouldn't have had those great years out of Theodore and Markov, and Kovalchuk would have been the young face of the franchise.

How would you see this playing out?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

According to old issues of THN, and an all-access show I remember watching, Montreal was rumored to be a major player in the weeks and days leading up to the 2001 entry draft. Of all the teams, we apparently had the most serious offer on the table for the 1st overall pick. This is what apparently was on the table:

To Montreal:

1st overall pick

To Atlanta:

Andrei Markov
Mathieu Garon
7th overall pick
25th overall pick

Rumor has it that Waddell requested Jose Theodore as part of the package instead of Garon, but Andre Savard wouldn't budge.

My question is, assuming either of these deals (Theo or Garon) would have went through, how do you think it would have changed the course of history over the next 10 years?

We wouldn't have had those great years out of Theodore and Markov, and Kovalchuk would have been the young face of the franchise.

It probably would of worked to be honest. But who knew about Markov and his potential at that time and our picks.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Ambrose

Quote:
Habs would have Halak instead of Price in net, as we speak

not deep trouble

Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:47 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:

To Montreal:

1st overall pick

To Atlanta:

Andrei Markov
Mathieu Garon
7th overall pick
25th overall pick

Andre Savard would be a legend today in Montreal and we probably draft a C in 2003.

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

To Montreal:

1st overall pick

To Atlanta:

Andrei Markov
Mathieu Garon
7th overall pick
25th overall pick

If we made that trade, the one that Atlanta wanted with Theodore, we likely finish dead last in 2002 and end up drafting first or second. We also likely finish lower in 2003, possibly in the top 5, certainly high enough to take Parise.

In 2004 we would also likely be picking in the top 10 instead of making the playoffs. We probably end up with somebody like Smid if this happens, and then after that was the lockout and we have an increased chance at Crosby since we missed the playoffs in 02 and 04, but then again we could have potentially picked first in 02 which would lose us a ball. For arguments sake let's say we still end up 5th and take Price still though.

We would have gone through a lot of pain by trading Theodore, but the pay off could have been huge.

That said though, we realistically do not become a playoff team until 2008 if we make that trade because by being so crappy from 02-04 we would never have traded for guys like Kovalev, or even marginal players like Juneau, Dackell that kept us respectable, and probably never pick up Huet who saved us in 06 and most of 07 (although Souray was easily our mvp that year).

Last edited by Fish on The Sand: 05-29-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old
05-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

To Montreal:

1st overall pick

To Atlanta:

Andrei Markov
Mathieu Garon
7th overall pick
25th overall pick

Habs fans spend the next 10 years complaining how the organization can't find a number one defenseman rather than complaining about not finding a 40 goal scorer.

Since in my opinion Markov is the superior player, Montreal also does significantly worse over the intervening years.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 08:10 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:

Price
Lats
D'Agostini
S Kostitsyn

No, for the league as a whole. Lee, Zagrapan, Pokulok, O'Marra, Bourret, McArdle, Lashoff, Pelech, Finley and Mihalik. In the first round!

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote