HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NJD - OTT (Draft Day)

Old
05-29-2011, 02:42 PM
KovalSNIPE

vCash: 500
NJD - OTT (Draft Day)

There was a recent thread about a NJD - OTT deal but this one I was thinking of earlier so tell me what you think. This is only if Larsson isn't available.

6th overall
Rundblad
Kuba

4th overall
Vasyunov
Corrente

Be nice, please. Edit to make something work.

KovalSNIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 02:44 PM
TheSpaceCoyote
Sens fan in NL

No way Ottawa trades Runblad unless they get an amazing deal. Even though they get rid of Kuba, it's still not worth it.

TheSpaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Sens respectfully decline. We're pretty high on Rundblad and it'd have to be a pretty enticing offer for us to reconsider.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 02:46 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

There is no way Rundblad, arguably our top prospect, will be used to move up in the draft after the season he had. Maybe a lesser prospect like Wiercioch.

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 02:48 PM
trentmccleary

I wouldn't give you anything of value to move up from 6th to 4th because I still believe that both NJ & NYI have terrible defense corps' and well below average prospect pools on defense. One or both of you will be tempted to Murphy or Hamilton, because they are a part of the same tier of talent as guys like Couturier, Huberdeau, Landeskog and Strome.

Rundblad is a lot more than almost nothing of value and this deal is terrible for Ottawa.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Mgd31

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
I wouldn't give you anything of value to move up from 6th to 4th because I still believe that both NJ & NYI have terrible defense corps' and well below average prospect pools on defense. One or both of you will be tempted to Murphy or Hamilton, because they are a part of the same tier of talent as guys like Couturier, Huberdeau, Landeskog and Strome.

Rundblad is a lot more than almost nothing of value and this deal is terrible for Ottawa.
The Devils have a number of solid defensive prospects in Merrill, Urbom, Burlon, Gelinas, Fayne, and Corrente. Its not well below average.

They do lack a surefire potential number 1, but won't be hesitant to pick a forward like Couturier, Huberdeau, or Landeskog.

Edit: I agree OTT would never do this.

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 02:56 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:

I can't speak for the Islanders but the Devils have a very solid core of prospects regarding blueliners if you take into consideration that we've been drafting in the mid 20's for close to a decade and a half.

Alex Urbom, Eric Gelinas, Jonathan Merrill and Brandon Burlon are all prospects that are rated very high by our organisation and are tagged as potential top 4's. If you think Lou will drafted based on needs, you don't know much about the Devils and the way they work.

Oh, btw, the deal originaly proposed would never happen in a million years

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:04 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
I wouldn't even trade Rundblad for the 4th overall.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I would consider it, despite the season he had.

That said, I agree there's no way I'd trade him in this deal.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:16 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
The Devils have a number of solid defensive prospects in Merrill, Urbom, Burlon, Gelinas, Fayne, and Corrente. Its not well below average.

They do lack a surefire potential number 1, but won't be hesitant to pick a forward like Couturier, Huberdeau, or Landeskog.

Edit: I agree OTT would never do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I can't speak for the Islanders but the Devils have a very solid core of prospects regarding blueliners if you take into consideration that we've been drafting in the mid 20's for close to a decade and a half.

Alex Urbom, Eric Gelinas, Jonathan Merrill and Brandon Burlon are all prospects that are rated very high by our organisation and are tagged as potential top 4's. If you think Lou will drafted based on needs, you don't know much about the Devils and the way they work.

Oh, btw, the deal originaly proposed would never happen in a million years
I've already been down this down before and I'm not going to start arguing the merits of your prospects... we'll just have to agree to disagree.

However, both NJ and NYI's have clearly invested very heavily up front.
NJ has spent multiple recent 1st rounders and multi-millions of dollars on forwards (+ expected Parise lifetime deal)... whilst using a couple of late(r) picks, some spare change, a pylon and a rubber band to build the organizational depth on defense.

NYI have used 5 of their last 6 1st rounders on forwards. Their defense corps is old and not very good.

Old
05-29-2011, 03:18 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Good, cause Lou would never deal his pick for Rundblad. David is a solid hockey player but is he better then Huberdeau for example, who's two years and a couple of days younger then Rundblad? There's a big gap between a 17/18 year old and a 20 year old.

Whoever we pick at 4 will have more upside (and talent) then Rundblad in the future. If you are talking about the present, you are correct but the point of the draft is to land the BPA for the future, not the present

Old
05-29-2011, 03:20 PM
boredmale

Quote:
NYI have used 5 of their last 6 1st rounders on forwards. Their defense corps is old and not very good.
If RNH(very unlikely), Huberdeau or Landeskog fall to #5, I think we take them. if Couturier is the one that falls to #5, they might start thinking defense but in that case they might try trade down with either Ottawa or Atlanta for who wants him more(or who wants first choice of him or Strome).

I think Huberdeau and Landeskog could both potentially be great fits for Tavares

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:23 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
I've already been down this down before and I'm not going to start arguing the merits of your prospects... we'll just have to agree to disagree.

However, both NJ and NYI's have clearly invested very heavily up front.
NJ has spent multiple recent 1st rounders and multi-millions of dollars on forwards (+ expected Parise lifetime deal)... whilst using a couple of late(r) picks, some spare change, a pylon and a rubber band to build the organizational depth on defense.

Sorry, I don't follow you posts on a regular basis, so no, I have no idea how you view our prospects regarding blueliners.

As for drafting for team needs, it's not the way Lou or the Devils organisation works and it's not going to change anytime soon. As you pointed out, the Devils have a very mediocre blueline and they decided to go with a small Swede instead of a American PMD in the 2008 draft. Carlsson would've been my guess when it was our time to pick but Lou and Conte went with the BPA on their list and that was Tedenby.

What I'm trying to say is that Lou and David Conte will go BPA cause we don't know what will happen down the road and landing the best talent is all that matters when you are expecting results from that same draft in about 2 to 3 years.

Old
05-29-2011, 04:06 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
No way...Not the 6th overall AND Rundblad, just aint gonna happen

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

This offer is insulting.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 04:11 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
If RNH(very unlikely), Huberdeau or Landeskog fall to #5, I think we take them. if Couturier is the one that falls to #5, they might start thinking defense but in that case they might try trade down with either Ottawa or Atlanta for who wants him more(or who wants first choice of him or Strome).

I think Huberdeau and Landeskog could both potentially be great fits for Tavares
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Sorry, I don't follow you posts on a regular basis, so no, I have no idea how you view our prospects regarding blueliners.

As for drafting for team needs, it's not the way Lou or the Devils organisation works and it's not going to change anytime soon. As you pointed out, the Devils have a very mediocre blueline and they decided to go with a small Swede instead of a American PMD in the 2008 draft. Carlsson would've been my guess when it was our time to pick but Lou and Conte went with the BPA on their list and that was Tedenby.

What I'm trying to say is that Lou and David Conte will go BPA cause we don't know what will happen down the road and landing the best talent is all that matters when you are expecting results from that same draft in about 2 to 3 years.
Fair enough, you guys take whatever forwards you want, Ottawa will take another D-man and if/when you have defensive problems later and these prospects start putting up 45-50 points seasons at -15 instead of 65 point seasons at reasonable plus/minuses... we'll re-evaluate the possibility of a trade.

Old
05-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Laoghaire

This deal would be much fairer without the 6th overall.

Laoghaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Karlssonlee

Awful deal. Wow

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 06:19 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Fair enough, you guys take whatever forwards you want, Ottawa will take another D-man and if/when you have defensive problems later and these prospects start putting up 45-50 points seasons at -15 instead of 65 point seasons at reasonable plus/minuses... we'll re-evaluate the possibility of a trade.
Right... cause if we pick a d-men, he'll make our blueline a instant cup contender

You might think the draft is based on filling needs and going for the best talent atm but the Devils don't work that way. If you have a chance to land a stud player at a position you are loaded at, you pick the prospect and figure out the rest afterwards, period.

The draft isn't made to re-tool at a position of weakness, it's their IMO to upgrade your prospect pool no matter the position. Trades and UFA signings are there to re-balance your team, not the draft.

If Huberdeau is on the board and Lou/Conte are high on the kid, knowing he'll play wing when we already have Parise and Kovalchuk... I'd be willing to bet the farm that he'd pick Huberdeau regardless of the depth we have at that position. Worst case scenario, we move Parise (for example) for a #1 puck moving d-men and have Huberdeau play 2nd line duty's behind Kovalchuk.

You can't go wrong when picking the BPA

Old
05-29-2011, 07:06 PM
TSA0402

I would say too much quantity on the OP.

Curious of what Devils fans think of this.

Sens : Tedenby, 4th overall

NJ : Rundblad, 6th overall

I'm not honestly going to say this will ever happen or that Rundblad or Tedenby should be traded. Just value wise, two top prospects exchanged, one team gets into lottery and helps address depth on both sides. NJ might need to add but not much I'd think. Rundblad obviously higher rated prospect but less proven in NHL which negates some value. I was already lambasted by the Sens fanbase curious what the Devils response would be.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:26 PM
SpezDispenser

Holy lord, we have to give up the 6th as well? Come on.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Timzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
I would say too much quantity on the OP.

Curious of what Devils fans think of this.

Sens : Tedenby, 4th overall

NJ : Rundblad, 6th overall

I'm not honestly going to say this will ever happen or that Rundblad or Tedenby should be traded. Just value wise, two top prospects exchanged, one team gets into lottery and helps address depth on both sides. NJ might need to add but not much I'd think. Rundblad obviously higher rated prospect but less proven in NHL which negates some value. I was already lambasted by the Sens fanbase curious what the Devils response would be.
am i missing something? has Rundblad proven anything in the NHL? Tednedby has, and the devils are providing the higher pick. if anything I think ottawa adds.

Timzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Asquaredx2

Terrible value for Ottawa. Rundblad and the 6th over-all are both only marginally less valuable for the 4th over-all (if at all, in DR's case). Vasyunov and Corrente are not in the same ball-park for the Sens. Plus the only incentive for Ottawa to move Kuba is to make room for both Rundblad and Cowen.

I can see something built around 6th+ for 4th satisfying Sens fans but if your aim is to get DR as well that's just not going to happen. Probably the only deal that Sens fans would OK involving both our pick and Rundblad going to New Jersey would have Parise coming back.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timzey View Post
am i missing something? has Rundblad proven anything in the NHL? Tednedby has, and the devils are providing the higher pick. if anything I think ottawa adds.
Tedenby has scored 8 goals in the NHL.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Timzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquaredx2 View Post
Terrible value for Ottawa. Rundblad and the 6th over-all are both only marginally less valuable for the 4th over-all (if at all, in DR's case). Vasyunov and Corrente are not in the same ball-park for the Sens. Plus the only incentive for Ottawa to move Kuba is to make room for both Rundblad and Cowen.

I can see something built around 6th+ for 4th satisfying Sens fans but if your aim is to get DR as well that's just not going to happen. Probably the only deal that Sens fans would OK involving both our pick and Rundblad going to New Jersey would have Parise coming back.
which of course the devils would never agree too.

Timzey is offline   Reply With Quote