HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

luongo predication, will he sign b4 aug.24

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2005, 12:49 PM
PanthersFanatic12

vCash: 500
luongo predication, will he sign b4 aug.24

I have feeling a deal will be struck with luongo b4 aug.24. i really hope i am right.
also should keenen rush and pay luongo and his insane agent what they want now, or have it go to arbitration, luongo plays, and if the cats make the playoffs, then keenen should reward him with the big contract. what do u guys think

Old
08-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Street Hawk

deadlines are a good thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo#1
I have feeling a deal will be struck with luongo b4 aug.24. i really hope i am right.
also should keenen rush and pay luongo and his insane agent what they want now, or have it go to arbitration, luongo plays, and if the cats make the playoffs, then keenen should reward him with the big contract. what do u guys think
You know, I really can't believe all the talk on the trade board about Luongo wanting out because the Cats are taking him to arbitration.

Keenan, taking Luongo to arbitration is to ensure his #1 goalie will be at camp and will start the season. This season, things are so up in the air, as the traditional strong teams took a big hit because of the cap, while teams that were bad made a lot of additions to improve their team, so really, the Cup is completely up for grabs to any team that makes the playoffs. If Luongo were to miss 2 months of action, the Cats would probably be out of the race by the time he signed.

So, what Keenan has done is move the deadline up to sign Luongo from December 1, whenever that deadline is for RFA's to sign, to the arbitration hearing date. I mean, with the recent CBA crap, wouldn't it have been better for both sides (more the PA though) to have the deadline be the start of training camp to get a deal done rather than wait until half the year goes by before finalizing a deal?

The arbitration date is only a deadline to get a deal. His agent and the Panthers can still negotiate up until the arbitration hearing. So, they need to work it out.

What is Luongo worth? Hard to say because despite all his great stats, he's never been to the playoffs, and there is where goalies move from 2-3 million per year to to 5 plus million per year. Best thing for Luongo is to seek a 1 or 2 year deal worth the kind of money that the likes of Giggy, Theo, Nabokov, Turco have. With the rollback, it would be in the 3-4 million range. Hard to ask for 6 million if you haven't been to the playoffs as a goalie.

Old
08-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Clash*

Supposedly Roberto is pissed Keenan paid the big bucks for two forty yr olds and won't pay him, who has been the team the past two years. Keenan might have been smart to resign Luongo before the free agency period began.

Old
08-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Happy Girl

The arbitration is not a pleasant process. Management is going to go in there and point out every flaw/mistake/injury of Luongo's career. This can place quite a strain on the relationship between a star goalie and his team. I hope for the Panthers sake, they sign him before going to arbitration. If your goalie isn't happy - well good luck winning.

Old
08-20-2005, 06:11 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk
Keenan, taking Luongo to arbitration is to ensure his #1 goalie will be at camp and will start the season.
What does that mean, couldn't Luongo just go to Europe and play there or play not at all. That I understand if player takes his case to arbitration (previous seasons) that meant the player will be at camp and will start the season, team could walk away from the player.
I haven't really checked the new CBA and what it says about arbitration but I don't think it can force a player to sign a contract.

JOL

Old
08-20-2005, 06:19 PM
PanthersFanatic12

answer to ur question

the team took the player to arbitration, luongo didn't file for arbitration, keenen filed for arbitration against luongo, its a neogation tactic and a way to ensure , the player plays,even if they can't reach an agreement b4 the arbitration date. its a new addition in the cba, basically the club can make the player sign a 1 to 2 year deal in which the arbitratior decides what the player will make.

Old
08-20-2005, 06:40 PM
patastrophe

Send a message via Yahoo to patastrophe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Supposedly Roberto is pissed Keenan paid the big bucks for two forty yr olds and won't pay him, who has been the team the past two years. Keenan might have been smart to resign Luongo before the free agency period began.
they (lupien/luongo/keenan) were waiting for the free agent goalie market to settle so they could use it for comparison.

though im a huge fan, i still see both sides. id bite the bullet and overpay on the first couple years of a four or five year contract though.

Old
08-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patastrophe
they (lupien/luongo/keenan) were waiting for the free agent goalie market to settle so they could use it for comparison.
This I realize, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by patastrophe
though im a huge fan, i still see both sides. id bite the bullet and overpay on the first couple years of a four or five year contract though.
I see both sides and this is exactly what I would have done. For what Luongo did and to be the 29th highest paid goalie in the league, he deserves a little reward monetarily and recognition by not goin to arbitration.

Old
08-21-2005, 09:56 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo#1
the team took the player to arbitration, luongo didn't file for arbitration, keenen filed for arbitration against luongo, its a neogation tactic and a way to ensure , the player plays,even if they can't reach an agreement b4 the arbitration date. its a new addition in the cba, basically the club can make the player sign a 1 to 2 year deal in which the arbitratior decides what the player will make.
Has a date been set for the hearing?

Old
08-21-2005, 10:19 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Wednesday, Aug 24th

Closed Thread