HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

S. Gomez to DAL

Old
05-30-2011, 09:43 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
remember what happened last time montreal traded their #2 center to dallas?
Doesn't that happen almost every time they trade a player with some considerable skill? Ribiero, Grabovksi, Latendresse, D'Agostini, and more

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 09:48 AM
DesertDawg

I can see a team taking an interest on Gomez if he was going through reentry, but not with that contract as it is.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Fans are all in a tizzy about Gomez's bad season, but I would be surprised if management was ready to just dump Gomez. I don't think the team would give him away even if they could. And they certainly wouldn't pay a draft pick to do it.

It's a year early for drastic measures.

They'll just hope he comes back strong next season.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:06 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance78 View Post
At first, and maybe still now, I thought "this is crazy talk". But I think most that have responded are not addressing the original statement.

How bad would Montreal want to get rid of Gomez? Would they make the deal good enough that it would be worth it for Dallas?

Maybe this:

Dallas gets:

Gomez
Top Prospect
2nd in 2012

Montreal gets:
Mid level prospect
6th in 2012

Those might not make any sense at all, as I have not idea what the value would be, but I think that is what JesusNPucks is asking.

If Gomez had 1 or 2 years left, then maybe, but no for Dallas since he is signed until 2013-2014. Too many years. I also think the only way this might work is ownership doesn't get resolved and Richards does not sign. Dallas will be near the cap floor waiting on ownership and will get enough assets in the trade that they would have time to develop until a new owner arrives with direction for this team.

Hate to be GM Joe, trying to make the best out of a bad situation.
Nooo thank you.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Best case scenario is when the Stars are on the clock.

To Dallas:

Gomez
MTL's first (17th overall)

To Montreal:

DAL's first (14th overall)
Why would Dallas move down three spots AND take on Gomez's contract?

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:22 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Unfortunately, the Habs don't want to just dump Gomez, and any GM in their right mind wouldn't.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Ogi1Kenobi

This so stupid. JesusNpucks comes up with the most ridiculous proposals. Dallas doesn't have no ownership yet, and you're already suggesting an overpaid, border 2nd line center. Do you really think new ownership is going to invest on Gomez? And I thought Jamie Benn was going to center the 2nd line full time? Did you really think this proposal through?

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:24 AM
GE0

Dallas needs to be much smarter with their money than this.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:25 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I'm not a fan of Gomez, but don't be surprised if Gomez is traded next summer if Eller or DD show enough to make him expandable, his contact next summer is 2 years 5per, I think he is a 60 point guy, 10 goals, 50 ast 2nd line C, who had a bad year. And with the lack of center ice men, I can see some interests. Just look at the lack of Center men available, other than Richards every good Center is signed and signed long term, what are teams like the Rangers,Kings, Leafs, Sabres, ect going to do if Richards doesn't sign with them?

Old
05-30-2011, 10:26 AM
GE0

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I'm not a fan of Gomez, but don't be surprised if Gomez is traded next summer if Eller or DD show enough to make him expandable, his contact next summer is 2 years 5per, I think he is a 60 point guy, 10 goals, 50 ast 2nd line C, who had a bad year. And with the lack of center ice men, I can see some interests. Just look at the lack of Center men available, other than Richards every good Center is signed and signed long term, what are teams like the Rangers,Kings, Leafs, Sabres, ect going to do if Richards doesn't sign with them?
They sure as hell aren't going to trade for Scott Gomez, that's what.

I'll be shocked if Montreal can trade him.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Habiton

Stop with the incentive crap. He doesnt have a NMC, if we dont want him that bad we will send him to Hamilton. And Subban++++, are you on crack?

If you want Gomez he can be had for very little, but we are not giving him up with an incentive.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusNPucks View Post
A serviceable 2nd line center (arguable) with a contract of decreasing salary each year for 3 more years. [At this point, cap hit means very little.] Gomez is young enough (31), but still greatly overpaid, so acquisition would likely come with some extra incentive to pick up his contract. Thought it would be a good chance for Dallas to pick up a decent player and also some other assets at perhaps little cost.

Potential Forward Lines:

Morrow-Ribeiro-Vincour
Benn-Gomez-Eriksson
Ott-Wandell-Burish
TBD-Peterson-TBD

I'm sure most people would think this crazy, but just try it out and see what kind of value would maybe work. Enjoy!
Vincour is your 1st line RW over Eriksson? I think this is even crazier than someone wanting Scott Gomez on their team.

Drew311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:40 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE0 View Post
They sure as hell aren't going to trade for Scott Gomez, that's what.

I'll be shocked if Montreal can trade him.
Maybe your team might stay the course but some teams have no choice, when the Habs traded for Gomez it was because there wasn't anyone else, failed at getting Vinny, trade for Briere, and had to settle for Gomez because they wanted to competitive. Now it wouldn't make sense for a team like Dallas because they have a young core but some teams it isn't the case.

Old
05-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Fans are all in a tizzy about Gomez's bad season, but I would be surprised if management was ready to just dump Gomez. I don't think the team would give him away even if they could. And they certainly wouldn't pay a draft pick to do it.

They would be foolish to pass on that opportunity if it presented itself. He will never justify that contract and with Eller knocking down the door his tenure here creates a conflict. His cap hit is simply too significant going for us going forward. We have to move him somewhere eventually, if by some miracle a GM inquires this off season. We would be asinine to refuse if all they asked for was a pick as compensation.

In the worst case, Gomez is finished and we have no alternatives save burying him in the minors, something I doubt the Canadiens would even consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
Stop with the incentive crap. He doesnt have a NMC, if we dont want him that bad we will send him to Hamilton. And Subban++++, are you on crack?

If you want Gomez he can be had for very little, but we are not giving him up with an incentive.
Yes, because the owners have no qualms eating an additional $17.5 million dollar expense. There is also a stigma with burying someone in the minors and the Habs have always been about class. I would be astonished if Gomez is buried.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:47 AM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusNPucks View Post
Gomez's contract over the next three years:

2011-12 -- $7.5M
2012-13 -- $5.5M
2013-14 -- $4.5M
The only way that's even considered is for a team that needs help reaching the cap floor (Florida seems more likely). Dallas has a solid core that competed for a playoff spot this year until injuries took over. Better to spend 5.8M per year on a player who's actually producing than to take someone playing like a 3M player. Unless Montreal provides serious value in picks/prospects, Dallas says no thanks.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:56 AM
JesusNPucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Vincour is your 1st line RW over Eriksson? I think this is even crazier than someone wanting Scott Gomez on their team.
In all fairness, Drew311, the line that I proposed (Morrow-Ribeiro-Vincour) was actually used this season as Dallas' 2nd line at certain points. Keeping Eriksson with Benn would essentially be keeping together what many thought would be a Benn-Richards-Eriksson line.

So, it isn't that far-fetched. Plus, it adds some balance to each line. At least, that is the way I perceived it.

Last edited by JesusNPucks: 05-30-2011 at 11:02 AM.
JesusNPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:02 AM
JesusNPucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
This so stupid. JesusNpucks comes up with the most ridiculous proposals. Dallas doesn't have no ownership yet, and you're already suggesting an overpaid, border 2nd line center. Do you really think new ownership is going to invest on Gomez? And I thought Jamie Benn was going to center the 2nd line full time? Did you really think this proposal through?
Calm down, my friend.

You mean to tell me that if Montreal offered this package, Dallas wouldn't take it?

to MTL
Gomez
Subban
1st 2011
1st 2012

to DAL
Chaisson
5th 2011

And, please don't rip that specific proposal. I was just using it as an example to make a point. The point being that, if Montreal really did want to trade out of Gomez's contract, they would have to give extra incentive to do it. What would be enough incentive for Dallas to take it? What would Montreal be willing to give up to dump Gomez?

Just trying to start some conversation.

JesusNPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

With his poor back checking, his inept passing his terrible shooting and his inability to cover a freaking man ? How about how he always wants the puck just to end up getting to their zone and losing it.

The guy sucks.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Gomez is a decent player with a terrible contract coming off a terrible season. For some reason, people think he's gonna get dump with asset just for the shake of getting dump.
He is part of the leadership core for the habs and has done wonders for team spirit and team chemistry. The only think wrong with Gomez is the money he gets via his numbers offensively.
By no means I say he's worth the money he's got but what I do say is that he has value....may not be every team's dream to get him but there are suitable team and Dallas could be one of them. I see Florida and Columbus has other potential destination or even the Atlanta/Winnipeg. One thing is for sure, Montreal will buy out/ bury his contract before giving up asset along with him to some other team.

NO. Columbus has THREE top-6 centers. Four if Johansen makes the team. We do not and never have wanted Gomez. Ever. Even when he was a Ranger we did not want him. STOP IT.

Do I have to start invading the Montreal forums for people to actually get this through their heads?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:50 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

The Habs make enough money, if they really really want to get ride of Gomez they can simply put him in the AHL instead of given a team an incentive for taken him. And if they don't want to put Gomez in the AHL since it would look bad, they can simply trade him to a team would a few bad contacts, ex Commodore and Huselius and put them in the AHL, just an example and use random names. Plus thats if MTL even thinks about getting ride of Gomez, because unless they find a replacment they are not looking to trade him.

Old
05-30-2011, 11:50 AM
bernmeister

JesusNpucks,

I give you credit for trying to leave no stone unturned to get more talent to your club ASAP. Unfortunately,

A) Gomez no longer looks like he can cut the mustard. He might still have a little bit of speed left but otherwise, this is a big letdown from a guy who had demonstrated ability while in Jersey.

B) As a salary dump, your numbers are:
2011-12 -- $7.5M
2012-13 -- $5.5M
2013-14 -- $4.5M

These are worse than Redden's numbers.
In advocating a salary dump of Redden, I suggested a third round pick for each year of the contract just to offset loss of what I remember was around $4.5m per.
Then, above and beyond that, you have to pay something to a team to make it worthwhile.

If you agree that schematic is reasonable, do the math, and figure out what expense you will have in picks just for the salary. But above that, you would be taking on an albatross.

How much would somebody offer, and what would you accept, relative to that albatross?

You're looking at a couple of higher picks and a prospect/player or two.
Do the Habs want to pay that price?

The only other thing that could make sense is deadwood for deadwood, not a salary dump.
Black Hawks have lots of talent including the backline and Brian Campbell's outrageous $7m contract (for more years) for a lesser, though still toxic contract, could be appealing.

Campbell is not worth 7m but he is still productive, way more so than Gomez, who provides cap relief at less money for less years. That would not help DS unless Stars brokered something to wind up with one of those contracts.

If this is really about getting something for cap floor AND some kind of profit, what would it cost to have you take the last year of Sean Avery?

NYR is not paying all that much, but we'd prefer the roster spot and cap relief. If memory serves, you're already paying most of the contract, and reuniting that might have benefit in ultimately moving Avery discounted during the season to a team with injury looking for a short term fix (might give you a 3rd plus as a rental for balance of season that sort of thing).

Maybe something like Kundratek and a 5th for Avery and a 6th?
Thoughts...

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
They would be foolish to pass on that opportunity if it presented itself. He will never justify that contract and with Eller knocking down the door his tenure here creates a conflict. His cap hit is simply too significant going for us going forward. We have to move him somewhere eventually, if by some miracle a GM inquires this off season. We would be asinine to refuse if all they asked for was a pick as compensation.
Foolish or not, I think they'll reserve judgement more readily than the average fan seems willing to. I don't know exactly what his cap hit holds the team back from... it's unquantifiable. As fans, we'd love to see the team have money to spread elsewhere. But last time they had money to spread elsewhere... a big chunk of it went to Gomez. Anyway, it's all a moot point. Nobody else will take him, and the Habs will check out his "rebound" next season before there are any sudden plunges off a cliff.

Old
05-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
With his poor back checking, his inept passing his terrible shooting and his inability to cover a freaking man ? How about how he always wants the puck just to end up getting to their zone and losing it.

The guy sucks.
If he sucks as badly as that, then by extension the Habs' coaching staff sucks as well, I suppose, since they persisted in using him in most situations, with consistently high icetime, all season long. It would surely take some inept coaching to use such a terrible player so much?

I'm not a fan of Martin or Gomez, I'd like them both gone... but at the same time, I can admit that Martin is a competent NHL coach, and Gomez is a decent-if-tragically-overpaid hockey player. The hyperbole doesn't really help.

Old
05-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Max et Guillaume

Gomez definitely didn't look too good this year, and his contract is horrible; however, people need to calm down a bit, just like with Price last year.

Gomez will return to his normal 60-65 pts form this year, he is a good leader and good locker room guy (according to what we hear, I wouldn't know obviously), and as another poster said, I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded in the summer of '12, since by then his cap will be higher than his salary, and quite a few teams will want such a contract to reach the cap floor as it's rising each year, and Eller/DD will hopefuly take the 2-3rd C spots.

My 2 cents. Gomez had a bad year, but to say he shouldn't even be in the NHL is ludicrous... classic Habs fan knee-jerk reaction!

Like I said though, I doubt he'd be traded this summer. His value is at its lowest possible, so Mtl would simply end up getting screwed.

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

It's just because he's overpaid; if his cap hit was $4M rather than $7.3M Montreal would be able to trade him more easily.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote