Is The CHL In Trouble?

Old
05-20-2011, 02:55 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMilli View Post
Hey guys, I'm an Americans fan. I was wondering if there's any good twitter accounts to follow or any forums about whether or not the Americans will be in a different league?
Not a twitter guy so I can't answer that but....www.CHLforums.com has an Allen section.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:29 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Well looks like it's official, Laredo will stay:

http://www.lmtonline.com/articles/20...0025831915.txt

Quote:
There are no longer rumors or dark clouds surrounding the future of the Laredo Bucks. With questions and doubt no longer lingering, they will be playing a 10th season in the Central Hockey League.
I would hold off on that, I would still say there are dark clouds regarding the long term future. How long will it take the Fort Wayne's/Rapid City's/Colorado's of the world to get ticked off having to give you money all the time?

Quote:
Bucks majority owner Glenn Hart confirmed Friday afternoon he emailed the league with his commitment to play next season.

At Wednesday’s town hall meeting, the Bucks issued a press release in which Hart asked for all season ticket holders to renew their seats by today, Friday May 20, at 5 p.m.

“Mr. Hart will look at the number of seats purchased for the upcoming season as a point of reference as to whether or not to continue (operations),” the release said.
Quote:
Hart said the response has been so overwhelming that the Bucks are undoubtedly coming back amid reports they may not should renewals fail to hold up.

“The situation has been so good that they (the Bucks’ front office) haven’t even had time to stop and count (season ticket renewals),” Hart said. “From a qualitative standpoint, we’re good to go.”
I'll admit i'm surprised here, very.

Quote:
Even with league rival Rio Grande Valley possibly folding and at the very least facing an uncertain future, Hart said the Killer Bees’ situation will not affect his club’s.

“I actually committed without a contingent that Rio Grande plays next year,” Hart said. “I hope they do, but we’ll be coming back with or without them.”
How can a team that will be operating on a SINGLE A budget afford to play without their closest rival?

Quote:
Because the Bucks are able to operate under the same budget as last year, Hart said they would stay. Essentially, Laredo is working under a Single-A budget in a Double-A league.
Your first team announcing they will be doing so. I wonder if they had announced they would not be returning next year if the CHL would have dropped the luxury tax idea?

Old
05-25-2011, 02:43 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Bloomington lease approved:

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local...cc4c03286.html

It's a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd. The bond is for $100,000

Quote:
“Hockey has served us well in Bloomington and it has become vital to the health of the Coliseum,” said Mayor Steve Stockton before the vote.
How much are you being paid to say that? Probably too much. How has hockey served them well with years of bad attendance? Things got to the point where the IRS became involved, thats never good.

Quote:
The 33 hockey games and the eight arena football games played at the Coliseum during the year account for about 20 percent of the 7,500-seat arena’s annual $4 million in revenue. Any loss from operating the Coliseum, which ended its fiscal year April 30 in the black, is paid for by the city from its general operating revenue.
Only 20 percent? That doesn't seem like much. So are you telling me the other 80 percent comes from things like concerts? What big acts are coming to a college town? Even better, why house a team in a college town to begin with? Especially with that big of an arena.

Quote:
CIAM President John Butler said the management started looking at options for a hockey team last fall. CIAM is required under the terms of its contract with the city to have a professional hockey team as an anchor tenant.
What morons would actually make that a term in a contract? Bloomingtons abysmal attendance doesnt leave them with many options long term.

Quote:
“We are excited that we have the opportunity to bring in owners that have a fresh perspective and new ideas and the financial wherewithal to make sure the team will be here for a long time,” Butler said.

Rick Kozuback, president of the CHL’s parent company, Global Entertainment Corp., said the CHL requires franchise owners to have enough net worth to cover a year of operating a team without ticket sales or sponsorships, which is roughly $1.6 million to $2 million.
Yeah those fresh ideas are probably gunna be...."my sons play....or else"

How could these 2 have the money? There is a reason why Vitale owned an AAHL Franchise and they say DelBuono is a millionaire, not a multi-millionaire, thats key to note IMO.

Quote:
As part of the lease with DelBuono and Hunnewell, the pair must provide a $100,000 letter of credit that the CHL or CIAM can draw from to pay vendors and operate the team if needed.

“It is in no one’s best interest to have a startup fail,” Kozuback said.

Several aldermen questioned whether a brand new team could establish itself among hockey fans who have been rooting for the PrairieThunder for the last five years.

“Sometimes a fresh team gets some enthusiasm going,” Kozuback said. “It’s not an easy situation by any means, but if you get the right program in place it can take off.”
Well, this has FAIL written all over it....How will you win over the PT diehards? How do you expect more fans to showup for another team after one already failed?!

Old
05-25-2011, 02:51 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

More goodies outta Blooomy:

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/hoc...cc4c03286.html

Quote:
The unanimous approval Monday night by the City Council to bring new Central Hockey League ownership to U.S. Cellular Coliseum will help solidify a league that has seen teams flee or fold in recent weeks, said Rick Kozuback, president of Global Entertainment Corp.
Quote:
After making a presentation to the council on behalf of the league and new ownership, Kozuback said he expects the Global Entertainment-owned CHL to be a 12- to 14-team league for the 2011-12 season. That will include a yet-to-be-named franchise owned by partners Gary DelBuono of Boston and Sandra Hunnewell of New Jersey as the Coliseum’s primary tenant.
A number, 12-14. Hmm, wonder who these franchises are? Wonder if any that won't stick around will be any of the IHL2.0 teams?

Quote:
Kozuback said CHL commissioner Duane Lewis has given other teams a deadline of Friday to commit to playing in the league for the season that begins in October. The CHL had 18 teams last season.

“We may have some teams take a leave of absence this season,” Kozuback said. “It’s a little bit in a state of flux at the moment. But we will have plenty of teams that will play and solidify the season.”
So in 2 days our silly season ends?

Quote:
Kozuback and PrairieThunder general manager Jim Riggs both said they are waiting to hear from the league about the rights to the players who last played for the PrairieThunder.
That's interesting. it's ALMOST June, these players are stuck in limbo when teams are trying to make their rosters for the next season....

Old
05-25-2011, 04:10 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Nothing new outta RGV but there has been meetings a couple of times the past few days:

http://killerbees.themonitor.com/201...still-waiting/

Something interesting out of a Rush blog:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/app/blogs/rush/?p=527

Quote:
I’ve heard rumblings on the Rush front, but nothing definite. The time will come soon enough.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:33 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

More from Brian Sandalow:

http://killerbees.themonitor.com/201...eadline-kinda/

Friday's deadline isn't exactly a deadline, it's moreof notifying the league for things like a tentative schedule and all of that, makes sense I guess, or does it?

The bottom of the article is really interesting, wouldn't the same hold true for Laredo giving they are each others closest rivals?

Old
05-27-2011, 05:17 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Looking more and more like RGV is out:

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/spo...o-altered.html

It hangs in the balance of an altered lease:

Quote:
The franchise’s former ownership group, led by Joe Sakulenzki, has declined to take back the team from current owner Troy Nelson. Sakulenzki said his group has not ruled out taking back the assets of the franchise but is not currently looking at operating the team next season.

Quote:
He and his partners investigated taking back the franchise from Nelson, including having talks with State Farm Arena management about restructuring the Bees’ lease to make it more favorable for the team. And though the city offered a slight reduction in costs, it wasn’t enough to fit into Sakulenzki’s group’s budget.
Understandable

Quote:
Sakulenzki said he will try to contact arena management today to see if they’ve come up with more changes. He said he will attempt to have CHL commissioner Duane Lewis assist in the talks.

“It’s still up in the air. If the city comes to the table and does a little better on their lease, we may be able to persuade my partners to go ahead and go forward with this,” Sakulenzki said. “If it doesn’t happen, we will not be involved with hockey this year. If Troy does it, that’s his business.

“If we repossess the assets and we have the franchise license and we can’t get the lease negotiated to more favorable terms, we won’t play this year.”

Old
05-27-2011, 05:23 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Missouri Mavericks president Brent Thiessen tries to quiet the rumors of the CHL:

http://www.examiner.net/sports/hocke...urrounding-CHL

Quote:
“First, and foremost,” Thiessen said Tuesday morning in his office at the Independence Events Center, “there will be hockey in this building this upcoming season. I can promise that.

“And the Missouri Mavericks will be a part of the Central Hockey League.”
That doesn't stop the rumors, it just gurantees the fans in Independence will see some form of puck in the winter.

Quote:
“There will be changes this year in the league,” Thiessen said. “Some teams will leave, and there may be some expansion to new cities. I just can’t comment until we know exactly what is going to happen.
First time i've heard the E word bounced around...

Quote:
Thiessen said the rumors of the CHL folding simply aren’t true.

“We know we’re going to be in the CHL this year, and we hope to be in the CHL for many years to come,” he said. “And while the CHL is facing some major challenges, we’re not the only league facing issues like this. It’s also happening in the East Coast Hockey League and other leagues.

“The bottom line is pretty simple. These are very tough economic times, and the teams that can’t make a profit probably won’t be around for a long time. We have a great, great fan base and wonderful owners.
Whats going on in the ECHL? Yeah, you have the dead beat franchises of Wheeling and Trenton, but they aren't new problems. The ECHL's biggest problem is the West Coast and whether it's viable or not. The CHL has Global who owns a lot of arenas and a major contract up in the air...

Old
05-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
(General disparagement of Bloomington, IL as a hockey venue)
Considering you most likely couldn't even find Bloomington, Illinois on a map, and have never been there nor seen a game there, you sure do seem to have an awful lot of opinions regarding a situation about which you know absolutely nothing.

Don't screw with central Illinois.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:46 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Considering you most likely couldn't even find Bloomington, Illinois on a map, and have never been there nor seen a game there, you sure do seem to have an awful lot of opinions regarding a situation about which you know absolutely nothing.

Don't screw with central Illinois.
I have been, first season the PT existed(06-07)

Old
05-27-2011, 07:00 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Update in RGV:

http://killerbees.themonitor.com/201...still-a-pulse/

Bee's aren't dead yet, but if they happen to die it looks like an NAHL team might move in.

Quote:
Joe Sakulenzki confirmed that his group met with Hidalgo officials and State Farm Arena management on Friday to further discuss the Bees’ lease at the facility. The two sides are expected to talk again Tuesday, and city manager Joe Vera is hopeful this could be resolved by Wednesday.
Thats the most promising news to come out of RGV in months.

Quote:
Vera also confirmed Friday he has been approached by a group looking to put a junior-level team into the arena if the Bees do not come back. It’s believed that team would be in the North American Hockey League.

Vera said any talks about a junior team will not progress until the Bees’ situation is resolved.
This comment made me chuckle:

Quote:
Sakulenzki said the possibility of a junior team doesn’t change the tenor of his talks with the city.

“The bottom line is if they bring a team in it’s good for Hidalgo, but whatever team they do bring in has to be able to operate within the realm of the amount of money that the building has to have,” Sakulenzki said. “I don’t know if a junior-league (team) can afford to pay the type of rent the building is looking for.”
Yeah but didn't the bees have issues and this guy was worried about breaking ever or even perhaps trying to earn a profit. Junior teams cost far less to operate, finances aren't as big of a concern, if anything that comment seems kinda backwards...

Old
05-28-2011, 04:33 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Mudbugs coach Scott Muscutt has resigned as head coach. BTW Congrats to the MUDBUGS

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...oes-out-winner

Quote:
“I just can’t do it anymore,” he said. “I can’t continue to put the owners through this.”
In part, Muscutt feels responsible for the massive financial hit the team’s owners have taken through the years. So he’s removing himself from the equation.\

“I’ve been reading a lot lately,” Muscutt said. “There has been a real strong message sent to me: Do what’s right — not just what’s best for your personal future.”

Muscutt feels the right thing to do is step away and let current owner Tommy Scott take a long look at the viability of continuing.
So I take it Muscutt thinks it's his fault the Mudbugs are in financial distress? Why? How much could this guy be making? He hadn't won a cup until last night, you would have a hard time convincing me that he's one of the highest paid coaches in AA. However, I guess with his tenure there in B-S, perhaps he could have been.

Quote:
That’s why Friday, the biggest day in Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs history, suddenly became the scariest.
That doesn't sound good...

Last edited by SFTC Addict: 05-28-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old
05-28-2011, 09:10 PM
billycanuck

Quote:
Mudbugs coach Scott Muscutt has resigned as head coach. BTW Congrats to the MUDBUGS

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...oes-out-winner

So I take it Muscutt thinks it's his fault the Mudbugs are in financial distress? Why? How much could this guy be making? He hadn't won a cup until last night, you would have a hard time convincing me that he's one of the highest paid coaches in AA. However, I guess with his tenure there in B-S, perhaps he could have been.

That’s why Friday, the biggest day in Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs history, suddenly became the scariest.

That doesn't sound good...
Wow, that doesn't sound too good. But congrats to him the organization on their win.

What I take from his statement is that he probably convinced the owners to spend more money on players (housing, food, bonus money, etc.).

Will be very interesting to see what happens with the organization.

billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 09:28 PM
DelpoRafaKilla

Mudbugs need to stay in the CHL if the Americans do. Still have some unfinished business with Jorgensen, Couch and Limpwright.

DelpoRafaKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 10:58 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
Wow, that doesn't sound too good. But congrats to him the organization on their win.

What I take from his statement is that he probably convinced the owners to spend more money on players (housing, food, bonus money, etc.).

Will be very interesting to see what happens with the organization.
Thats a thought but I mean, I guess my logic to that is....this luxury tax is being implemented, or he could take a pay cut?

Old
05-30-2011, 10:45 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

The MAJOR Domino has fell, Colorado to the ECHL:

http://www.blackhillsfox.com/2011/05...moving-to-ECHL

Old
05-30-2011, 10:53 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

CHL or BUST in Bossier-Shreveport:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...elebrating-Cup

Quote:
"The community holds the solution," said Scott, who has lost nearly $1 million a season. "The Central Hockey League wants to know, but I'm not telling them a thing right now. I'm waiting for the people in this area to respond."
Another Glenn Hart episode.

But wait, it gets better:

Quote:
Scott said it was "a slap in the face" when only 3,489 fans attended the Mudbugs' last home game this season in Game 5 of the Finals. He said fans need to purchase around 2,500 season tickets next season, up from the 957 the Mudbugs sold this year.
So your expecting....everybody to renew AND a little over 1500 NEW season ticket holders? Good luck with that. I would say however it is sort of a slap in the face to get only that many in the Finals(usually in the Finals places come close to selling out) in an arena that seats 7,418

Quote:
"I think there's going to be hockey here next year. I just don't know if it's going to be at the level we're accustomed to," said Mudbugs fan Ed Felts, who lives in Bossier City. "I was there during the first three championships. It's just something we have to keep in Shreveport-Bossier."
Yet, Tommy Scott feels different about that....

Old
05-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
The MAJOR Domino has fell, Colorado to the ECHL:

http://www.blackhillsfox.com/2011/05...moving-to-ECHL
As noted on the separate thread, there is NO announcement of this move on the Colorado Eagles' website as of 1:30 PM Central time today.

When the Eagles confirm the move to the ECHL, I'll believe it.

Old
05-30-2011, 03:51 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
As noted on the separate thread, there is NO announcement of this move on the Colorado Eagles' website as of 1:30 PM Central time today.

When the Eagles confirm the move to the ECHL, I'll believe it.
Not saying it's confirmed in the Colorado camp but a press conference coming tomorrow in Colorado:

http://killerbees.themonitor.com/201...0/flying-away/

Quote:
The 2011 Presidents’ Cup Final was billed by some as a series between two teams on the verge of leaving the Central Hockey League.

A couple developments since the series ended have made that more believable.

First, in Colorado, the Eagles are holding a news conference on Tuesday. The news release doesn’t say what the announcement is, but it doesn’t take an Einstein to predict the Eagles are leaving for the ECHL.

Old
05-30-2011, 03:54 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

From the Colorado Website:

http://www.coloradoeagles.com/news.php?nid=992

Quote:
LOVELAND, Colo. - The Colorado Eagles will be holding a press conference on Tuesday, May 31, scheduled to begin promptly at 2 p.m. Fans are encouraged to listen to the news via 107.9 The Bear or watch the streaming press conference on the team's ustream channel.

Old
05-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Not saying it's confirmed in the Colorado camp but a press conference coming tomorrow in Colorado:

http://killerbees.themonitor.com/201...0/flying-away/
Having a link to a paper in the RGV is all well and good, but it'll carry a little more weight if you link the local paper in Loveland (where the Eagles play), like so:

http://www.reporterherald.com/eagles/eaglesblog.asp

Old
05-30-2011, 04:09 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Having a link to a paper in the RGV is all well and good, but it'll carry a little more weight if you link the local paper in Loveland (where the Eagles play), like so:

http://www.reporterherald.com/eagles/eaglesblog.asp
True.

However I can point out a couple of things, it's been noted in the past that the ECHL was possibly making a schedule for 20 teams:

http://qctimes.com/sports/hockey/pro...cc4c03286.html

Quote:
And while ECHL commissioner Brian McKenna on Thursday said the league is close to finalizing a 19- or 20-team schedule that will bring aboard an expansion team in Chicago and may or may not include a team returning to or replacing to Victoria, B.C., he twice stopped short of categorically refuting the potential addition of either Colorado or Fort Wayne.

Old
05-31-2011, 03:17 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Heres a funny thought I saw somewhere regarding the CHL:

Quote:
Using a Monopoly game board as a reference, the Allen owner owns Park Place while the Frankes owns Marvin Gardens., whereas the Bucks and Mudbugs owners own St. Charles Place... Notice the previous Bloomington Prairie Thunder owners owned Baltic Ave. adjacent to the Income Tax... And the Mississippi trust owns the Community Chest and lands on Free Parking every time around the board collecting the bank fees no one else lands on... LOL... Whereas the distrustful Quad City owner owned Vermont Ave but landed on GO TO JAIL every time around the board and never got to pass GO... Therefore the Texas Brahmas owners own New York Ave. living off marketing...
BTW Colorado is OFFICIALLY ECHL bound

Old
05-31-2011, 03:53 PM
DelpoRafaKilla

So when is the next domino expected to fall?

DelpoRafaKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:08 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelpoRafaKilla View Post
So when is the next domino expected to fall?
No idea, unlike Laredo Owner Glenn Hart, Tommy Scott didn't make a deadline for B-S. RGV should be coming this week I think.