HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Replace Lehoux with...

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Replace Lehoux with...

Anze Kopitar. He is mature for his age playing in Sweden and in the World Championships against some of the world's best talent on a weak Slovenia team. Give him the opportunity to develop and monitor his progress closely by signing him and assigning him to Manchester where he can be the top line center.

Imagine Kopitar, Tambellini and Pushkarev already playing together on the same team this upcoming season. It is great for all of the young guys to play together at such a young age and get to know each other and become great teammates.

Old
08-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Captain Ron

I would think this might be a good move for the Kings organization. On his interview with Hacksaw he said he wasn't sure where he will be playing this season yet.

Old
08-18-2005, 07:59 PM
McSorley 33

Just wanted to know, is this guy that good at age 17? He can play in the AHL now. If so, he must be our best prospect now. Do you guys see him playing in the NHL at 20-21?

Looking back on the NHL draft for the KIngs and the Ducks, I was upset that the Ducks were given a high draft choice. In the end I don't know that Bobby Ryan is that much better than Kopitar. So the Ducks pick at #2 and we get the #11 pick with not much difference. Sounds good to me.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Anze Kopitar. He is mature for his age playing in Sweden and in the World Championships against some of the world's best talent on a weak Slovenia team. Give him the opportunity to develop and monitor his progress closely by signing him and assigning him to Manchester where he can be the top line center.

Imagine Kopitar, Tambellini and Pushkarev already playing together on the same team this upcoming season. It is great for all of the young guys to play together at such a young age and get to know each other and become great teammates.
8/15 was the transfer date. It'll have to be next year

Old
08-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Kopitar will be turning 18 next week. He's played against and with older players in Sweden and in international competition at the World Championships. I don't think he will be in awe coming over to the US and playing in the AHL with Manchester.

The Monarchs need a #1 center and Kopitar has the ability to be one. It is a perfect fit that makes a lot of sense.

Jeff Carter and Mike Richards both played amazingly well with the Philadelphia Phantoms as 20 year olds, and prior to that they were playing in leagues with other young amateurs. Playing against grown men wouldn't be anything new for Kopitar.

As you recall, the Kings brought Jokinen over to the US when he was 18 (although Olli wasn't quite ready his first season and was sent back to Finland). I don't think the Kings will be rushing Kopitar like they did with Olli, as Anze will be playing in a development league.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Odd. I'm not sure about the contract status of some of these Euro players but I noticed that Rostislav Olesz and Jonathan Hedstrom were both signed today.

Can't teams still sign European players, but have to pay a transfer fee to bring them over?

Old
08-19-2005, 12:21 AM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Only comparisons i've heard for Kopitar are Heatley which if true then he surelly will be in NHL at 20-21 and should be in the AHL right now // I agree i would really like to see him in the AHL this year already

Old
08-19-2005, 01:12 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
This year, because of the whole IIHF agreement delay, I believe transfers can be done until Aug. 24th of this year. Next year, it's Aug. 15th as normal.

As for Anze being "that good," I think he is. I have a thread that basically recaps two of the games I saw from him if you're interested. No need to repeat myself

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=161322

He really didn't look out of place when playing against the men; and was often one of the most important players on the Slovenian team. He really needs to work on his balance, more so than his actual skating.

But another year in Sweden wouldn't hurt... as much as I would love to see him cross the pond already.

Old
08-19-2005, 01:55 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
Only comparisons i've heard for Kopitar are Heatley which if true then he surelly will be in NHL at 20-21 and should be in the AHL right now // I agree i would really like to see him in the AHL this year already
Kopitar will be fine in Sweden this season. The SEL is perfect for him at his skill level and age. The coaching there is as good as it gets in all of Europe.

Old
08-19-2005, 03:11 AM
Brodie562

i thought players under the age of 20 couldnt play in the AHL. like Brown a couple of seasons ago, or did that have to do with a CHL deal? if so why havent i heard of other 18 and 19 year olds playing the AHL. sorry if its a dumb question.

Old
08-19-2005, 03:15 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562
i thought players under the age of 20 couldnt play in the AHL. like Brown a couple of seasons ago, or did that have to do with a CHL deal? if so why havent i heard of other 18 and 19 year olds playing the AHL. sorry if its a dumb question.
I wondered this too. I think it's only CHL players as they want to keep that league going with Players.

Old
08-19-2005, 03:57 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562
I believe you're right, it's only with CHL players. Kostitsyn was 19 when he signed with Hamilton.

Old
08-19-2005, 06:42 AM
King Blazer

It's my understanding that the agreement between the NHL and the CHL has been modified such that players selected in the first round of the NHL draft will be eligible for assignment to AHL teams. Last I knew, the NHL and the CHL were still negotiating their agreement. The previous agreement between the NHL and CHL expired before the old NHL CBA...

I don't think making Kopitar the #1 Center in Manchester would be good for his development...

Last edited by King Blazer: 08-19-2005 at 08:38 AM.
Old
08-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
It's my understanding that the agreement between the NHL and the CHL has been modified such that players selected in the first round of the NHL draft will be eligible for assignment to AHL teams. Last I knew, the NHL and the CHL were still negotiating their agreement. The previous agreement between the NHL and CHL expired before the old NHL CBA...

I don't think making Kopitar the #1 Center in Manchester would be good for his development...
Why not?

here is a report from a poster on Kings ESPN msg board who saw Anze play last night:

>>>In a second preseason match Sodertalje beat HV71 at home 3:0 (2:0,0:0,1:0).
No points for Anze although he was 2nd star of the match throwing bodies left and right and creating odd-man rushes which his defencemen happened to cash in thrice.<<<<<<

Sounds like Anze is playing well and has a physical element. If he is thriving in the Swedish Elite League, he can play in the AHL. I am fine with him playing in the SEL this year, as long as he doesn't commit to a contract for next year in Sweden. I have a feeling he'll be ready to come over next year. Alos, if he did come over this year and play in Manch, wouldn't that count as year 1 towards his 7 years in the CBA rules? The rule in which a player can become an RFA after their 7th pro season? That would make Anze a UFA at 25 years of age. Anyone know if minor league seasons count towards that?

Can Anze still come over and play for Regina this year?

Last edited by Peter James Bond: 08-19-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old
08-19-2005, 12:21 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond
Why not?
80-game regular season...
Many 3-game in 45-hrs weekends when not 3-games at least back to back...
#1 Center for an AHL team carries a lot of pressure and requires a lot of ice time even though it's only the AHL...

Old
08-19-2005, 12:34 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
80-game regular season...
Many 3-game in 45-hrs weekends when not 3-games at least back to back...
#1 Center for an AHL team carries a lot of pressure and requires a lot of ice time even though it's only the AHL...
Exactly why it would be good and help develop him. He is supposed to end up being a #1 center in the NHL thats even more responsibility and pressure the earlier he learns to deal with it the better (Not trying to screw him over just think it could be good for him) // Lehoux did it and from seeing both play Kopitar is already better by quite abit

Old
08-19-2005, 11:25 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:

If I recall correctly, under the old agreement, if you played an entire season in the NHL at the age of 18 or 19, you can be assigned to the AHL the following year. Case and point is Brown. He spent the entire 2003-04 season in the NHL as an 18 year old. He could freely go to the AHL in 2004-05 as a 19 year old because he spent that complete year in the NHL already. I believe this applied to euro players as well.

Without a copy of the new CBA, I have no clue if they kept this in the new agreement or not but I suspect it is.

08-20-2005, 03:02 AM
Fingolfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer
If I recall correctly, under the old agreement, if you played an entire season in the NHL at the age of 18 or 19, you can be assigned to the AHL the following year. Case and point is Brown. He spent the entire 2003-04 season in the NHL as an 18 year old. He could freely go to the AHL in 2004-05 as a 19 year old because he spent that complete year in the NHL already. I believe this applied to euro players as well.

Without a copy of the new CBA, I have no clue if they kept this in the new agreement or not but I suspect it is.
I believe that provision was only enacted for the lockout season, to allow certain young prospects to play in the AHL to continue their development. Brown was a perfect example.

Under the last CBA, I'm fairly certain you had to be 20 years old to play in the AHL.

--
Fin

Old
08-20-2005, 05:17 AM
BINGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
Exactly why it would be good and help develop him. He is supposed to end up being a #1 center in the NHL thats even more responsibility and pressure the earlier he learns to deal with it the better (Not trying to screw him over just think it could be good for him) // Lehoux did it and from seeing both play Kopitar is already better by quite abit

Lehoux didn't play on the first line his first two seasons. As a matter of fact, he was burried on the third line with no wingers. Just look at his numbers. Last year for 38 games, he played a top 6 role, because he was finally ready.

As far as Kopitar goes, looks like he is in Europe, so we don't have to worry about it.

Old
08-21-2005, 12:39 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer

I believe the minumum age a player could be assigned to the AHL was outlined in the agreement between the NHL and the CHL and was not part of the NHL CBA...

In an interview here in NH following the draft, Gilmore indicated that because Kopitar was a first round selection, he would be eligible to play in the AHL this season.

He stated that there were four optons for Kopitar this season:

Europe
NHL
AHL
Juniors

Old
08-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I believe the minumum age a player could be assigned to the AHL was outlined in the agreement between the NHL and the CHL and was not part of the NHL CBA...

In an interview here in NH following the draft, Gilmore indicated that because Kopitar was a first round selection, he would be eligible to play in the AHL this season.

He stated that there were four optons for Kopitar this season:

Europe
NHL
AHL
Juniors
Gilmore is only partially correct. Kopitar is eligible to play in the AHL not because he was a first round selection, but rather because he played in Europe and was not subject to the NHL-CHL agreement on AHL player eligibilty. Same thing goes for college players (see Kesler in 2003-04 and Suter in 2004-05).

Under the old NHL-CHL agreement, CHL players had to either be overagers or already have spent four seasons in the OHL. This agreement was not in place last year, and exceptions were made for the 19 year olds with a 1985 birthdate who spent their entire 2003-04 season in the NHL (Horton, Burns and Bergeron). Brown, Fleury, and Staal would have been overagers in the CHL last year (as 1984 birthdates) so they would have been eligible to play in the AHL regardless.

Old
08-21-2005, 01:46 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Gilmore is only partially correct. Kopitar is eligible to play in the AHL not because he was a first round selection, but rather because he played in Europe and was not subject to the NHL-CHL agreement on AHL player eligibilty. Same thing goes for college players (see Kesler in 2003-04 and Suter in 2004-05).

Under the old NHL-CHL agreement, CHL players had to either be overagers or already have spent four seasons in the OHL. This agreement was not in place last year, and exceptions were made for the 19 year olds with a 1985 birthdate who spent their entire 2003-04 season in the NHL (Horton, Burns and Bergeron). Brown, Fleury, and Staal would have been overagers in the CHL last year (as 1984 birthdates) so they would have been eligible to play in the AHL regardless.
I wonder if the new agreement between the NHL and the CHL will have a provision that will allow first round selections to be placed in the AHL regardless of age and seasons already played in the CHL?

Closed Thread