HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Braydon Coburn to St. Louis

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-30-2011, 04:26 PM
  #1
Halak Ness Monster
Registered User
 
Halak Ness Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Braydon Coburn to St. Louis

With the trade of Eric Brewer at the deadline this season, the Blues opened up a hole across from Alex Pietrangelo on their top pairing.

They have Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk and Polak as their top 3 righty defensemen. They are set on that side.
On the left side they have Jackman, Colaiacovo, Nikitin and Cole. IMO they need to go out and get a shutdown lefty d-man with some experience, find a taker for Colaiacovo and send Cole back to Peoria for one more year. He can take over for Jackman in 2012-13.

It is doubtful that the Blues can afford to go out and sign someone like Joni Pitkanen, Ed Jovanovski or Christian Ehrhoff. I think they will have to trade for someone making between 3-4 million.

Others on a Blues forum have mentioned Braydon Coburn as a possible option. I think he is a solid fit. Much more so than Matt Carle.

What would the Blues have to give up to get Coburn? I'd imagine picks and prospects since the Flyers are up near the cap.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 05:06 PM
  #2
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 17,427
vCash: 50
Personally, I think Coburn will cost too much, but we could go after Carle as an upgrade over Carlo and dump Carlo for something.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 05:09 PM
  #3
JVR21
G
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,728
vCash: 500
Hopefully, we won't move Coburn. Carle is another story. I'd hope to get a late first rounder or a good prospect for him.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 05:22 PM
  #4
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,545
vCash: 500
Coburn is pretty integral to our team in my opinion. Not often do you get players his size that can skate like he can.

I think it would have to be an overpayment (prospect/pick wise), Carle while more of an offensive type defenseman is the likely odd-man out.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 05:26 PM
  #5
TSA0402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,127
vCash: 500
Why would they move Coburn when they can move Versteeg and Carle for cap reasons. To answer your question, Philly should pretty much deplete your farm + prospects if you are going to get Coburn.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 05:35 PM
  #6
HooliganX2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,951
vCash: 772
Personally Coburn would cost us to much IMO. We would have to make it worth while for Philly to trade him. I have no desire to overpay for a player to give Philly an offer they can't refuse. IMO Free agent or go with what we have.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 05:43 PM
  #7
Halak Ness Monster
Registered User
 
Halak Ness Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Why would they move Coburn when they can move Versteeg and Carle for cap reasons. To answer your question, Philly should pretty much deplete your farm + prospects if you are going to get Coburn.
Easy now. He isn't THAT good.

But Coburn can get you a good prospect like an Ian Cole whereas Versteeg and Carle can get you a 2nd round pick.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 05:46 PM
  #8
Halak Ness Monster
Registered User
 
Halak Ness Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Personally Coburn would cost us to much IMO. We would have to make it worth while for Philly to trade him. I have no desire to overpay for a player to give Philly an offer they can't refuse. IMO Free agent or go with what we have.
Any free agent that is likely to be worth a top 4 spot is going to be priced out of St. Louis' budget.

We might be able to afford Coburn at 3.2 million for this year while the ownership situation is figured out.

Plus Coburn would be a foundation piece for the Blues. I would give up a lot for 26 year old, top 4 defenseman that fits perfectly across from Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 05:50 PM
  #9
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
But Coburn can get you a good prospect like an Ian Cole whereas Versteeg and Carle can get you a 2nd round pick.
Ian Cole should be worth more to the Blues than 1 year of Coburn.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 06:01 PM
  #10
Halak Ness Monster
Registered User
 
Halak Ness Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Ian Cole should be worth more to the Blues than 1 year of Coburn.
A contract extension would be likely before he hit free agency.

Especially if we can get the new owner by October as was projected.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 07:53 PM
  #11
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,996
vCash: 500
Would you want Carle instead? Because I am ******* sure that Coburn goes nowhere.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 09:33 PM
  #12
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
A contract extension would be likely before he hit free agency.

Especially if we can get the new owner by October as was projected.
Well, then he's probably going to be wanting a raise, won't he? There's no guarantee that he'll even want to resign here, much less take a discount to stay here, if it was never his choice to come here in the first place.

Might as well just sign a UFA this year and backload the contract a bit if that's the deal. Still not worth Cole...not even close, IMO.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 09:39 PM
  #13
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder
 
NitHeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
Easy now. He isn't THAT good.

But Coburn can get you a good prospect like an Ian Cole whereas Versteeg and Carle can get you a 2nd round pick.
Yes, but trading Carle let's us keep Braydon Coburn while trading Coburn costs us Coburn.

Coburn + 2nd rounder >>> Carle + Cole for a team looking to win now.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 09:40 PM
  #14
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Would you want Carle instead? Because I am ******* sure that Coburn goes nowhere.
I'm fairly sure he doesn't either.

Carle isn't much different from what we already have in Colaiacovo, except Carle stays healthier and Colaiacovo is a whole lot cheaper. I don't see him being a target for the Blues, honestly.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 09:45 PM
  #15
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
Coburn + 2nd rounder >>> Carle + Cole for a team looking to win now.
I don't disagree that a team looking to win now would rather have Coburn than Cole, but I'm also willing to bet that you don't know the first thing about Cole as a player.

Throwing around "greater than" signs like they're candy doesn't strengthen your point in the absence of actual knowledge.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:01 PM
  #16
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder
 
NitHeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I don't disagree that a team looking to win now would rather have Coburn than Cole, but I'm also willing to bet that you don't know the first thing about Cole as a player.

Throwing around "greater than" signs like they're candy doesn't strengthen your point in the absence of actual knowledge.
So I guess it's fortunate for me that at no point did I say anything negative about Cole, only pointing out that losing a proven player like Coburn wouldn't make sense for a "win now" team.

But by all means, enjoy the view from your soap box.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:50 PM
  #17
Halak Ness Monster
Registered User
 
Halak Ness Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Well, then he's probably going to be wanting a raise, won't he? There's no guarantee that he'll even want to resign here, much less take a discount to stay here, if it was never his choice to come here in the first place.

Might as well just sign a UFA this year and backload the contract a bit if that's the deal. Still not worth Cole...not even close, IMO.
The raise won't be a big deal. I'd say there is a good chance we have a new owner and some more money to spend before the end of next season.

Coburn's price tag for 2011-2012 is a major plus. The Blues can probably swing 3.2 million for 1 year(at least I hope so, especially for a top 4 d-man).

We could probably afford to give Coburn a 5 year extension worth 4 million a year(same contract that Z. Michalek signed) at this time next year. If not, ugh...that is really all I can say as a Blues fan.

If he doesn't want to re-sign here(how many players have hated playing for the Blues?) then use his money on someone else and just pretend that you traded Cole for that defenseman. Not a big deal. Especially if you wind up with an equally good or better d-man.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:13 PM
  #18
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
So I guess it's fortunate for me that at no point did I say anything negative about Cole, only pointing out that losing a proven player like Coburn wouldn't make sense for a "win now" team.

But by all means, enjoy the view from your soap box.
I'm was just pointing out (in a rather polite and non-confrontational way, I thought) that it doesn't make much sense to make value statements, especially e>>>treme ones, if you don't know at least something about all the pieces involved.

Feel free to disagree, if you wish.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:20 PM
  #19
davebenj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Would probably cost a lot though to be honest, I don't think Coburn is a good as many

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:38 PM
  #20
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
The raise won't be a big deal. I'd say there is a good chance we have a new owner and some more money to spend before the end of next season.

Coburn's price tag for 2011-2012 is a major plus. The Blues can probably swing 3.2 million for 1 year(at least I hope so, especially for a top 4 d-man).

We could probably afford to give Coburn a 5 year extension worth 4 million a year(same contract that Z. Michalek signed) at this time next year. If not, ugh...that is really all I can say as a Blues fan.

If he doesn't want to re-sign here(how many players have hated playing for the Blues?) then use his money on someone else and just pretend that you traded Cole for that defenseman. Not a big deal. Especially if you wind up with an equally good or better d-man.
We're not exactly a Cup favorite at this point, and Coburn sure isn't going to elevate us to that level next year, so why not sign a 1 year stopgap and go after him when his contract runs out?

Cole isn't multiple years away from being NHL ready. He's NHL ready now, his upside is every bit as good as Coburn's, and he's going to be cost-controlled for like the next 5 or 6 years. The only reason the Blues have for not simply handing him the job is risk management. There's no need for the Blues to risk one of either Cole or Nikitin having an up and down year in their first full years on the job if they can find some cost-effective insurance to hedge against that possibility (while upgrading the organization's defensive depth at the same time, which is very thin on NHL ready talent beyond the top 7).

The plan (probably) is to sign or trade for a LHD, let Cole and Colaiacovo split time as the third pairing LHD, and let Nikitin be the first call-up when the inevitable injuries hit. When one (or possibly both) of Jackman and Colaiacovo leaves after next year, you still have the LHD you acquired, Cole has a full year plus under his belt and is ready to step onto that middle pairing full time, and Nikitin is there to step onto the third pairing full time if needed. Cole is a huge part of this team's defensive future...the Blues aren't going to be moving him for a short-term upgrade.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:46 PM
  #21
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP
 
GirouxCouturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
tarasenko straight up for Coburn

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:54 PM
  #22
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,342
vCash: 500
I like Coburn...

But I like Oshie too

What about Oshie and Beukeboom/mid round pick for Coburn?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:20 AM
  #23
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I like Coburn...

But I like Oshie too

What about Oshie and Beukeboom/mid round pick for Coburn?
Really?

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:22 AM
  #24
Celtic Note
Moderator
Chi Town Bound
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I like Coburn...

But I like Oshie too

What about Oshie and Beukeboom/mid round pick for Coburn?
At this point we probably need Oshie more than Coburn.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:02 AM
  #25
The Note
Expectations: Low
 
The Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: STL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I like Coburn...

But I like Oshie too

What about Oshie and Beukeboom/mid round pick for Coburn?
No thank you

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.