HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread, Part I

Old
05-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 500
I'm going to hold onto the hope that Evander Kane is one of the players that refuses to go to Winnipeg and comes to NY.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Ke11y96

Going into the off-season and hopefully by July 1st this is what falls into place..

Sign 5 of the 6 RFA's These are rough guesses I could see them a bit higher or lower depending on length of contracts and such..

Callahan - similar to Dustin Brown get a 5-7 year deal for 3.75.
Dubinsky - much like Rene Bourque 5-7 year deal for 3.5 (he gets a bit less than Cally because in 17 less games he was only 6 points ahead of Cally)
Anisimov - Gets a similar contract compared to Dubi's last one so two years at a cap hit of 1.85.
Boyle - two year deal at 1.5 roughly a million dollars added to what he made last year.
Sauer - 1.55 for two years, similar game to Girardi and so I think similar pay and length.

Christensen is traded for a late pick or future considerations.

Buyout Drury, Wolski, and Avery saving 8 million on the cap. Add in the summer hits of Zuccarello 940,860..Grachev for 70,251..Newbury for 93,683, and Talbot for 4,839, and Redden 6.5. That puts the cap heading into July 1st at 57,242,133. The summer cap with the 10% over the limit hit which could be as high as 69.850 leaves 12,607,867 in cap space.

Take into account what we currently have signed heading into next season and we have a rough template that looks like this..

Dubinsky - XXXX - Gaborik
XXXX - Stepan - Callahan
XXXX - Anisimov - XXXX
XXXX - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
XXXX - XXXX

Lundqvist
Biron

Sign Richards for what RangerBoy has wrote that 8 year/ 50 million contract for a cap friendly 6.25 hit.

Sign Fedotenko for 1 more year at 1.2.

then the Rangers have 5,157,867 left in space.

Dubinksy - Richards - Gaborik
XXXX - Stepan - Callahan
XXXX - Anisimov - XXXX
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

This is as far as I could even begin to predict, because there are a lot of scenarios that could play out to fill the remaining two spots on D and 3 forward spots. Potentially all spots could be filled in house with our own prospects. Realistically the Rangers go into camp with the following forwards and defensemen all vying for these spots..

Forwards - Zuccarello, Grachev, Hagelin, Thomas, and hopefully Kreider.
Defense - Del Zotto, Valentenko, McIlrath, and Kundratek.

There could be trades with some of this young talent, there might be free agency wingers brought in..I mean any of the three ways wouldn't surprise me..especially with letting prospects battle it out..

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Stepan - Callahan
Grachev - Anisimov - Zuccarello
Feds - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McD - Sauer
Del Zotto - McIlrath/Valentenko...

Lots of possibilities to round out the Roster...

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 02:56 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Jussi Jokinen please (although I'd much prefer someone like Ryane Clowe but that's not happening).

Jokinen would be good with Richards and Gaborik.

And you can keep the Pack Line together.

05-29-2011, 02:58 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
*I think it's presumptuous to pencil Hagelin into a lineup spot -- if he proves he's one of the top LWs in camp then you can bump Avery to extra forward, but until that point, I wouldn't include him in lineups.
I have no problem with Avery, and would be fine if this scenario played out. I just think Hagelin will be too impressive not to play. If not right off the bat, then certainly by January or so.

Quote:
**I'm not prepared to write Del Zotto off, and if he makes it out of camp, Valentenko slides to the 7th d or right side with Eminger/Gilroy dropping down. Unlike Hagelin, Valentenko is no longer waiver exempt, so I don't have a problem with penciling him into one of the bottom 3 D spots, because you'd risk losing him via waivers if he doesn't make the team.
I'm not writing Del Zotto off, but I would be fine with him spending the bulk of the season in Hartford. Valentenko needs to make the team, bar none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agree with that in every aspect - the re-signing of Prospal being the most interesting thing.

I see so many lineups with virtual pipedreams in that top 6 left wing spot (Krieider, Brian Boyle, an expensive Wolski, an unlikely free agent/trade acquisition), when probably the best option for the upcoming season is in-house in Vinny Prospal. He'll command another cheap 1 year deal with bonuses, and he played pretty damn well upon his return last season. The guy is a consummate pro, and if he gets injured/cant perform, then you move onto plan B.
Exactly. Wolski has to go, Kreider is not making the team out of camp, and while Boyle should be a winger, he's not a second line option. I expect he'll be on a different team by the time 2012-2013 comes along, anyway.

Prospal is a fine option, especially because if he can't play every game, you have a lot of in-house options to play around with until he's healthy.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:14 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
Jussi Jokinen please (although I'd much prefer someone like Ryane Clowe but that's not happening).

I like Jokinen, but it'll cost them quite a bit to get him. With getting Richards, it'd be hard to have all that fit under the cap, even with the stipulation of a 6.5 cap hit for Richards. If Kreider can make the team and play on the 3rd line, as well as Zucc, then it could be done.

Jokinen-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-Valentenko

Lundqvist
Biron

That 3rd pairing is questionable, and they will bring in some cheap veteran players to try and earn a spot above the young players. Also have to worry about McDonagh and Sauer not being able to play near the level they were this past season.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:21 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
I like Jokinen, but it'll cost them quite a bit to get him. With getting Richards, it'd be hard to have all that fit under the cap, even with the stipulation of a 6.5 cap hit for Richards. If Kreider can make the team and play on the 3rd line, as well as Zucc, then it could be done.

Jokinen-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-Valentenko

Lundqvist
Biron

That 3rd pairing is questionable, and they will bring in some cheap veteran players to try and earn a spot above the young players. Also have to worry about McDonagh and Sauer not being able to play near the level they were this past season.
I like that team and I wouldn't be worried if that was our 3rd pairing d.

Worse comes to worse we break up our top 4 so our best defensemen are scattered throughout each pair to help the two weaker ones.

I also wouldn't mind Eminger coming back.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:51 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
WHY???? Why does this (largely false) idea that the Rangers 'need someone to protect his teammates' continue to permeate this board in the year 2011? How many teammates did Jody Shelley, Donald Brashear, and Derek Boogaard protect?

And framing that argument with Avery as a central figure? Who does he protect? Who does he fight? The answer is noone, and players that are his size/dont drop the gloves regularly. In fact, with his traditionally stupid antics, hes put more teammates in harms way than hes helped.

The 4th line/spare forward spot in the lineup that Avery would be challenging for is literally the last thing Im worried about. Put a goon there, put a skill player there - I dont care....just make sure its cheap. Thats an initial strike against Avery.
McCormick is not really a goon. He's a 4th line type of guy who will be there if his teammates need him to be. He can function on his own at least in the 4th line job description. Thinking that Prust can handle everything that comes the Rangers way is shortsighted. Brandon had a lot of fights at the beginning of last year and less towards the end partly because his shoulder was ****ed up. He's courting serious injury facing off against real goons and so a backup plan IMO is not a bad idea--at least it would take some of the onus off him to be there every single time. McCormick should not cost a ton of money--maybe in the 750K range. He's earned respect though from Buffalo posters on HF. He's responsible in his own end--he is capable of earning ice time.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 04:36 PM
azrok22

Quote:
I like that team and I wouldn't be worried if that was our 3rd pairing d.

Worse comes to worse we break up our top 4 so our best defensemen are scattered throughout each pair to help the two weaker ones.

I also wouldn't mind Eminger coming back.
Same. Bring back Eminger for the #6 spot, and have Del Zotto and Valentenko fight it out for the 5th spot. If Del Zotto makes it, Valentenko becomes the #7 (because he'd have to go through waivers). If Valentenko makes it, Del Zotto goes to the AHL and you bring in a veteran for the #7 spot. If you can find a cheap upgrade of Eminger, move him to the #7 spot instead.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 02:47 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Why are some people adverse to buying out Avery? He has not been a very effective player under Torts. Torts didn't throw bouquets at Avery on break up day.

Quote:
On Sean Avery thinking that the way he played in the playoffs, after being a healthy scratch, showing he can be a valuable member of the team and having a role:

ďWell, itís a matter of consistency with Sean. Did I think Sean play a Ö he played good in the playoffs. It wasnít anything spectacular. But itís a situation where I have to make decisions each and every game for whatís best for the hockey club and I think Iíve been very fair with all players on that. And so with Sean, I donít know where it sits. We go to camp and we find out, along with a number of other players.Ē
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2011/0...rella-part-ii/

Compete for a spot at training camp. The coach doesn't trust or like him very much.

Buying out Drury creates $3,716,667 of "dead cap space" this coming season and $1.66M next season. Frees up $3,333.33 in space.

Buying out Wolski and Avery frees up $4,666,666. $1,070,834 cap hit this season and $1,333,333 next season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 02:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

But if we're doing that, why not buy out all three and actually improve our team in more ways then one?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why are some people adverse to buying out Avery? He has not been a very effective player under Torts. Torts didn't throw bouquets at Avery on break up day.

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2011/0...rella-part-ii/

Compete for a spot at training camp. The coach doesn't trust or like him very much.

Buying out Drury creates $3,716,667 of "dead cap space" this coming season and $1.66M next season. Frees up $3,333.33 in space.

Buying out Wolski and Avery frees up $4,666,666. $1,070,834 cap hit this season and $1,333,333 next season.
Exactly buying all three out, free's up 8 million in capspace. You buy those three out and sign Richards even as little as 6.25 you still get another 1.75 in added cap. Or even if Richards signs for 8 million a year, you lose the dead weight of Avery, Drury, and Wolski and sign Richards that is the same as having the roster of Avery Drury and Wolski.

I think we acquire Richards' rights during the buyout period. When Sather and Richards agree to a deal much like RangerBoy has discussed the 8 year/50 million contract, then I think the buyouts take place. To me he won't buyout all 3 for the sake of buying them all out he'll only do that if he knows Richards is a lock.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 03:10 PM
chosen

Avoid Richards. His salary will dwarf his worth and coming off a concussion, he is too much of a longterm risk factor. Fifteen million a year invested in him and Gaborik would be cap suicide, and haven't we had enough seasons of cap suicide yet?

Develop a first line player. Even Sather should be able to do that every 15 years. Just dumb luck alone should make it happen.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:24 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Avery - Stepan - Jagr

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
MDZ - Wisniewski

Try to tell me that team wouldn't compete for a trip to the ECF...I dare YOU

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:33 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Avery - Stepan - Jagr

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
MDZ - Wisniewski

Try to tell me that team wouldn't compete for a trip to the ECF...I dare YOU
Jagr isn't coming back you can guarantee that.

Also even if by some miracle he did come back there is no way Avery deserves to be on a line with those two.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:10 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Jagr isn't coming back you can guarantee that.

Also even if by some miracle he did come back there is no way Avery deserves to be on a line with those two.
Avery has proven chemistry with both Stepan and Jagr.

that's my pipe dream opening night roster...

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:54 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Avoid Richards. His salary will dwarf his worth and coming off a concussion, he is too much of a longterm risk factor. Fifteen million a year invested in him and Gaborik would be cap suicide, and haven't we had enough seasons of cap suicide yet?

Develop a first line player. Even Sather should be able to do that every 15 years. Just dumb luck alone should make it happen.
Who is this first line player you speak of? When is he getting here and when will he produce as a 1st line player?

Getting Richards doesn't preclude us from drafting and developing 1st line players, but since we haven't managed to find one in the last decade, it might be a good idea to explore other options rather than just sitting on our hands and hoping for the best.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Who is this first line player you speak of? When is he getting here and when will he produce as a 1st line player?

Getting Richards doesn't preclude us from drafting and developing 1st line players, but since we haven't managed to find one in the last decade, it might be a good idea to explore other options rather than just sitting on our hands and hoping for the best.
This organization hasnt drafted a 1st line player since Alexei Kovalev and, besides the 94 playoffs, he didnt play like a 1st liner much of his time here. Maybe Ill give you Marc Savard but he made little to no impact here. So yea, forgive me if Im a little skeptical of a solution centering around drafting one.

If Lundqvist wasnt on this team, I'd be all for the lottery approach - watching Gordie Clark try to strike it rich year after year with a mediocre draft slot. But Lundqvist gives this team a window to be competitive, and I think it would be an even bigger mistake to let that go to waste.

Besides, just a couple of years ago, this team had almost 20M tied up in Drury/Redden/Roszival.

Now, we could have 21-22M tied up in Lundqvist/Gaborik/Richards.

Not perfect, but an astounding upgrade.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

That's exactly the kind of player we should stay away from. A guy with one and a half good seasons under his belt who's looking for a big open market pay day.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:08 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Don't forget Doug Weight or Tony Amonte.

But still...it's been more than a decade since we've developed a legitimate 1st line forward. They had some good draft years the pas 7 seasons or so, but there have been no slam dunk 70+ point players. We've developed our defense well, and we've developed our forward depth well - but we need 1st liners. Richards is that 1st liner.

05-31-2011, 04:05 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

For the person who said to avoid Richards... the team's window to challenge for a championship with their franchise goaltender is shrinking by the year. Stepan has a small chance of becoming a player like Richards, but that is a long shot, and years away. This team has been devoid of a legit #1 center for too long.

Here's my offseason plan:

UFA's

Brad Richards: 8yrs/50mil (6.25 cap hit)
Steve Montador: 3yrs/8mil (2.67 cap hit)

RFA's

Dubi: 4yrs/15mil (3.75 cap hit)
Cally: 5yrs/19mil (3.8 cap hit)
Anisimov: 2yrs/3.5mil (1.75 cap hit)
Boyle: 2yrs/3mil (1.5 cap hit)
Sauer: 2yrs/2mil (1.0 cap hit)

Buyouts:

Drury

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.750m) / Brad Richards ($6.250m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.662m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.750m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.800m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brian Boyle ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Chris Drury ($3.716m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Evgeny Grachev ($0.816m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.000m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Steve Montador ($2.670m)
Pavel Valentenko ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $63,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,790,833; BONUSES: $1,650,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $1,709,167

I might be underestimating Cally's/Dubi's cap hits a bit, but as you see, there is still a bit of meat on the bone remaining to increase by a bit, even with a full roster. Also buying out Wolski is also an option to gain another $3+ million in cap space. I would like to roll with Wolski for this season though. Too much value there to waste, especially since he is an RFA after this season. Everyone is saying we need a top-6 LW, and that is exactly what Wolski is. Hopefully he can step up his game, especially since this is his contract year. He looked pretty good in the playoffs.

Hagelin plays like a seasoned vet and will be ready to step right into the lineup, and Grachev will also be ready to step in soon enough. Montador is a solid vet signing to shore up the defense, and that is probably what he will be paid on the open market (maybe even more?).

ps - Let Gilroy walk. He will probably go straight to the Island. His QO will be way to much.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
For the person who said to avoid Richards... the team's window to challenge for a championship with their franchise goaltender is shrinking by the year. Stepan has a small chance of becoming a player like Richards, but that is a long shot, and years away. This team has been devoid of a legit #1 center for too long.
Meh. I don't get the 'window to win with a franchise goaltender is shrinking by the year so we have to go for it now' mentality. Hank JUST TURNED 29. He's not old.

There is no reason to think Hank's window is closing any time soon.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:46 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Meh. I don't get the 'window to win with a franchise goaltender is shrinking by the year so we have to go for it now' mentality. Hank JUST TURNED 29. He's not old.

There is no reason to think we only have a certain amount of time left to be competitive with Hank in net. He's not even anywhere near as old as the guy most people want to bring in as the franchise center.
At 29 Hank is definitely in his prime. For how much longer will he be able to carry this team? 4 years? How long does it take for chemistry to form when you bring in new players? 2 years? At what age will we start to worry about it? When he is 31? 33? 35? when his knees start to give out?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
At what age will we start to worry about it? When he is 31? 33? 35? when his knees start to give out?
You might as well be talking about Brad Richards too...and he's 31 NOW.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:00 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
You might as well be talking about Brad Richards too...and he's 31 NOW.
I understand your point. And I don't necessarily disagree totally. But adding a 31 year old elite center who will be in his prime for 4 more years to a goalie who will be in his prime for 4-6 more years. At what point do we make it a priority to ice a very competitive team in front of our elite goalie?

Its a serious question that I myself don't know the answer to. At what point do we try to "go for it" so we don't miss out on competing with the only elite player this organization has produced since Brian Leetch?

At 29, Hank is no longer "young". He is in his prime.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

There is no reason to think Hank's window is closing any time soon.
Youve been flipping out in the Richards thread about his performance when hes 35.

Why dont you take a look at what happens to goaltenders' performance after 35. Even scarier to think about with Lundqvist considering his best attribute is his legs/how quickly he covers the bottom portion of the net.

The window of competing with Lundqvist in net is not only just a reason to sign Richards, its one of the main reasons.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote