HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ok, let's have your predictions for next year standings! (Merged)

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2005, 06:19 PM
TeamKidd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Assuming no more major changes:

1) Where do you think the Isles will finish in the conference?

6th

2) How will they do in the playoffs?

win one round

3) Who will be the breakthrough players (this seasons answer to Trent Hunter!)?

Campoli, kvasha, weinhandl

4) Which vets will disappoint?

yashin, zhitnik

5) Which rookies will make the team?

campoli, nilsson, bergenheim

6) How many goals and points will we get from Yashin, Satan, and the other prominent vet forwards?

Yashin: 25-45-70
Satan: 30-30-60
Weinhandl: 25-35-60
Hunter: 25-25-50
Kvasha: 22-43-65
Parrish: 20-20-40
Blake: 15-20-35
drop the puck

Old
08-12-2005, 04:35 PM
DisplacedIslander
Back Up The Trucks

Send a message via MSN to DisplacedIslander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Assuming no more major changes:

6) How many goals and points will we get from Yashin, Satan, and the other prominent vet forwards?
1. Depending on how Montreal fills out their roster, I can see another 7th or 8th seed for the playoffs.

2. How they do is dependent on who rounds out the top four in the conference, and for the sake of argument I'll go with my own prediction:

New Jersey
Tampa Bay
Ottawa
Boston
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Islanders
Toronto

With this scenario against the defending champs, I see a first round exit in 6 rather than 5, and a new coach.

3. Weinhandl had a great year in the SEL. I think his progress will translate into great NHL numbers

4. Tough call on a disappointment in the vet's core. I see it taking Yashin a year to adapt to the new style of play, couple with that a winger he's never had, and his role of the "franchise" player could once again bring his numbers down, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

5. Sean Bergenheim has earned his spot on this team, as either a third or fourth liner, and it'll be a travesty if he starts the season in Bridgeport. Nokelainen I think has made the team by default, without setting foot in the Coliseum. Out of the three defensive prospects, I see Gervais getting the start on Opening Night

6. Yashin and Satan should be in the high 60's to low 70's in points, and the second tier guys like Kvasha, Weinhandl, and Blake should be in the 50's to the 60's. A competitive product, but nowhere near perfection.

Old
08-12-2005, 05:24 PM
CoolDude*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
i think the rangers and sabres will be contenders come the 2006-2007 season, laughing at everybody else overspending this year and scooping up free agents next year at a dime a dozen.
Yes, I am very pleased with Glen for staying away from the huge, long term contracts.

Old
08-12-2005, 05:39 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Yes, I am very pleased with Glen for staying away from the huge, long term contracts.

Just because there were no takers, don't believe there were no offers.

Old
08-12-2005, 07:01 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedIslander
1. Depending on how Montreal fills out their roster, I can see another 7th or 8th seed for the playoffs.

2. How they do is dependent on who rounds out the top four in the conference, and for the sake of argument I'll go with my own prediction:

New Jersey
Tampa Bay
Ottawa
Boston
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Islanders
Toronto

With this scenario against the defending champs, I see a first round exit in 6 rather than 5, and a new coach.

3. Weinhandl had a great year in the SEL. I think his progress will translate into great NHL numbers

4. Tough call on a disappointment in the vet's core. I see it taking Yashin a year to adapt to the new style of play, couple with that a winger he's never had, and his role of the "franchise" player could once again bring his numbers down, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

5. Sean Bergenheim has earned his spot on this team, as either a third or fourth liner, and it'll be a travesty if he starts the season in Bridgeport. Nokelainen I think has made the team by default, without setting foot in the Coliseum. Out of the three defensive prospects, I see Gervais getting the start on Opening Night

6. Yashin and Satan should be in the high 60's to low 70's in points, and the second tier guys like Kvasha, Weinhandl, and Blake should be in the 50's to the 60's. A competitive product, but nowhere near perfection.
Kind of forgot Flyers.
But I disagree with the point totals you have for some of our guys. Those are "old NHL rules" numbers with the trap and clutch/grab/obstruct. If that still goes on, maybe you are right. If they do it the way it is drawn up, Yashin gets 37-40 goals, Satan gets 32-35 goals, both guys are in teh 90's in points. Remember, both are top PP scorers, plus shoot-out goals!!
I don't know how the chemistry will work on the whole team, so we could be between 6-8th place, depending on the D and DiPo. Scoring should not be our problem.

Old
08-12-2005, 07:38 PM
JKP

Because I love my Isles and it's August...

-> 1st overall

-> the cup will reside on the Island!

-> DiPi and Yashin - the breakthrough will be you guys will actually give Yash a break as he leads the league in scoring!

-> none.

-> Bergie and Gervais

-> tons and tons

Like I said. It's August and ya gotta believe in your team!!!

Old
08-12-2005, 07:47 PM
Isle Be Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP

Like I said. It's August and ya gotta believe in your team!!!
Love it! Crazy...... but I love it. Good for you.

Old
08-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Zarley Z

1-Ottawa
2-Philly
3-Tampa
4-Boston
5-Islanders
6-Jersey
7-Toronto
8-Montreal

This is my optimistic prediction for the islanders, but I honestly think 5 through 8 is going to be a big fight between the teams i listed in those slots along with Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and Florida.

DiPi will outperform Raycroft and push us through to round 2

Yashin, Weinhandl, Janne N

Sophmore slump for Hunter

Gervais, The Berg

Enough.

Old
08-14-2005, 09:27 PM
garypl

isles make the playoffs, advance beyond the first round and yashin/Satan have best seasons in years

Old
08-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Makel

Okay..

Islanders wil make the playoffs. We have some of the best offence in years, whether it comes together or not is a different story. Our defense has finally rounded out.

If Dipietro takes the next step, as does Yashin, we make it to the finals to meet Philly. Bank on it.

This COULD be the year..

Old
08-20-2005, 02:46 AM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Ok put up or shut up..Predictions East!

Its early yet but my east predictions.
East:

Boston - Great additions, goaltending will decide if they go all the way

Atlanta- Adding holik,abid,hnidy and the best upcoming goaltender

Philly - Additions of Forsberg,rathje,hatcher,therien but subrtractions of roenick,leclair,malakhov,markov.I dont think they are great but our division may not be that strong.

Ottawa - This bunch might be unstoppable offensively,basing ranking if hasek is healthy

Montreal - No big losses or gains but nice upcoming players.

Islanders-

Pittsburgh - Crosby,Palffy,Gonchar,Leclair make them a no doubt playoff team and a true wildcard in what they can accomplish.Goaltending and d might not be as important if you can score 5 goals a game.

Devils - Marty carries them only so far this year.New system really puts a hurt on them

9 - 15

Tampa bay - goaltending a big ? + loss of some depth may have them on the outs.

Florida - A few nice signings,just dont think they are there yet.

Carolina - A few notable signings and some nice young guns,goaltending ?'s

Toronto - Old and slow.Allison and lindross may play 82 games combined.They get left back in the new system.

Buffalo - nothing to say but what happened to them in the f/a market???????

Rags - Minor league team.

Caps - Pee wee team

Ill go atlanta vs boston in east finals..Ottawa is a close 3rd, but who knows about hasek.

All these are jmo's and have fun with the thread!!

Last edited by CosmoKramer: 08-20-2005 at 03:03 AM.

Old
08-20-2005, 03:20 AM
CoolDude*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGodard49
Rags - Minor league team.
We'll see about that one.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:07 AM
clarkwgriswold*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGodard49
Devils - Marty carries them only so far this year.New system really puts a hurt on them
Although the Devils will only go as far as Marty will take them, they will have no problems with the new system. It's not 1995 anymore the Devils have speed, skill, and talent with likes of Elias, Gomez, Mogilny, Friesen, Madden, and Parise just to name a few. I find it funny that for the past 10 years the Devils have been labeled as a slow, and unskilled team just because they are exceptional defensively. I think the Devils, because of their ability to shut down other teams will always be unfairly labeled. Even in 2000 when they won the Cup people called them a boring, slow team yet they were 2nd in scoring behind only the Redwings and led the league in scoring in 2001.

Last edited by NYIsles1*: 08-20-2005 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Mod advice warning given, argue with the point, not the person.
Old
08-20-2005, 01:19 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkwgriswold
Although the Devils will only go as far as Marty will take them, they will have no problems with the new system. It's not 1995 anymore the Devils have speed, skill, and talent with likes of Elias, Gomez, Mogilny, Friesen, Madden, and Parise just to name a few. I find it funny that for the past 10 years the Devils have been labeled as a slow, and unskilled team just because they are exceptional defensively. I think the Devils, because of their ability to shut down other teams will always be unfairly labeled. Even in 2000 when they won the Cup people called them a boring, slow team yet they were 2nd in scoring behind only the Redwings and led the league in scoring in 2001.
Agreed and good points.Imo the loss of nied and probably stevens is why i dropped them.1 thing though, alot of their goals came from teams playing all out to beat the trap leading to their goals.If the trap is really left behind i think they are the 1's who might be pushing in the 3rd to score which might leave them on the opposite side of the coin this year.

Old
08-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Steve55

Projected Eastern Conference Standings

My predictions for the East for 2005/06 NHL season is:

1. Philadephia Flyers
2. Boston Bruins
3. Tampa Bay Lightning
4. Ottawa Senaors
5. Pittsburgh Penguins
6. New Jersey Devils
7. New York Islanders
8. Toronto maple Leafs
9. Florida Panthers
10. Montreal Canadiens
11. Atlanta Thrashers
12. New York Rangers
13. Carolina Hurricanes
14. Buffalo Sabres
15. Washington Capitals

Old
08-21-2005, 05:17 PM
boredmale

I predict Tampa will finish first because they will benefit from playing a weak division(32 games against Washington, Carolina, Florida and Atlanta will give them a big advanatge over the rest of the east).

1. Tampa
2. Philly
3. Ottawa
4. Boston
5. New Jersey
6. Toronto
7. Atlanta (due to division)
8. Islanders
9. Montreal
10. Pittsburg
11. Florida
12. Carolina
13. Rangers
14. Buffalo
15. Washington

Old
08-21-2005, 05:45 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
1) Ottawa-still strong despite cap woes and distractions..

2) Philly- a lock.

3) Tampa Bay-a lock even without Khabby.

4) Boston-a lock.Nice offseason by O'Connell.

5) NYI-weaker on D,stronger offensively.Counting heavily on a very motivated DiPietro,in his 1st full yr as the #1.He loves playing for team USA in international tournments.Waddell is the gm putting the US Olympic team together.Waddell says part of the selection process,will be how players perform in the first half of the season.

6) New Jersey-Neidermayer's loss hurts and Stevens is considering retirement.Is Mogilny healthy after hip surgery?Elias likely misses the 1st few months of the season.

7) Montreal-Sent Breezy packing,then missed out on costly defensive upgrades.

8) Toronto-Sneaks into the last spot.

9) Florida-Added vet forwards,but didn't bring in the defensive upgrades they needed.If Keenan's playing little mind games with Luongo and Boumeister, it could backfire badly.

10) Pittsburgh-Their front office's motto seems to be,the best defense is a great offense.High flying offense,not a strong enough D imo.

11) Atlanta-High flying offense,not a strong enough defense.Should have signed a top defenseman instead of Holik.

12) Carolina-Gonna be a long yr.

13) Buffalo-I expected them to be busier this off season.

14) New York Rangers-Rebuilding with prospects.

15) Washington-Rebuilding with prospects.

Closed Thread