HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade deadline (looking back)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2011, 06:00 AM
  #1
glenn77
Registered User
 
glenn77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
Trade deadline (looking back)

I was wondering yesterday as I was driving to work - at the trade deadline this past season - if you were GM, who do you think would have been a great pick-up to help us in the playoffs at FORWARD?

Not that there was alot of huge pick-ups, I wonder about having a guy like Jason Arnott - a vetern with playoff experience.

Thoughts? Who would you get?

glenn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:28 AM
  #2
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,724
vCash: 500
Nathan Horton. Then maybe he'd have scored the game 7 winner for US!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:08 AM
  #3
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Nathan Horton. Then maybe he'd have scored the game 7 winner for US!
He was acquired last summer, not at the deadline.

The best non trade for us was Penner, he was terrible in LA.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:51 AM
  #4
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He was acquired last summer, not at the deadline.

The best non trade for us was Penner, he was terrible in LA.
Not like it proves he would have been terrible for us. I don't see him as a JM guy either but he could have had chemistry with some of our players and played pretty well for us. We can't know that and I don't think one short stint from March to the playoffs proves much especially given the fact that Kopitar was injured. I'm sure he would have at least gotten some more PP points if he hadn't been.

I didn't want Penner either especially at the asking price but we can't really know if he'd have done well for us or not, maybe he would have. Plus he has all next year to prove the critics wrong, it's a little early to call it.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:53 AM
  #5
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He was acquired last summer, not at the deadline.

The best non trade for us was Penner, he was terrible in LA.
I agree. I don't know who else it was on the Habs board other than myself calling Penner fat and lazy and not worth a 1st, let alone adding Tinordi but high five.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:58 AM
  #6
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Not like it proves he would have been terrible for us. I don't see him as a JM guy either but he could have had chemistry with some of our players and played pretty well for us. We can't know that and I don't think one short stint from March to the playoffs proves much especially given the fact that Kopitar was injured. I'm sure he would have at least gotten some more PP points if he hadn't been.

I didn't want Penner either especially at the asking price but we can't really know if he'd have done well for us or not, maybe he would have. Plus he has all next year to prove the critics wrong, it's a little early to call it.
I would have taken a chance at a reasonable price...but Tinordi plus our 1st(comparive to what they got) would be overpayment IMHO.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:12 AM
  #7
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,501
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The best non trade for us was Penner, he was terrible in LA.
This, 100x. I can't believe there's still people here saying we should have got him.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:16 AM
  #8
saints96
Registered User
 
saints96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
I agree. I don't know who else it was on the Habs board other than myself calling Penner fat and lazy and not worth a 1st, let alone adding Tinordi but high five.
right here! and got ridiculed for it.

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:08 PM
  #9
Cull909
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cull909
Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
right here! and got ridiculed for it.
We should have dealt wiz

Cull909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:21 PM
  #10
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull909 View Post
We should have dealt wiz
Get him for a few months and flip him ? Sounds illogical to me.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:22 PM
  #11
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Nothing. We should have done nothing. Sopel and Mara were of no help. It was just a waste of asset's. We could have dressed Picard and Weber on D. PG knew it wasn't are year, and he shouldn't have wasted asset's for rentals that have no future with the club.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:41 PM
  #12
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post
I was wondering yesterday as I was driving to work - at the trade deadline this past season - if you were GM, who do you think would have been a great pick-up to help us in the playoffs at FORWARD?

Not that there was alot of huge pick-ups, I wonder about having a guy like Jason Arnott - a vetern with playoff experience.

Thoughts? Who would you get?
We did go in hard after Arnott.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:44 PM
  #13
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
We did go in hard after Arnott.
I heard that he didn't want to play for the habs.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:42 PM
  #14
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,443
vCash: 500
Trade for Krejci or Chara.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
  #15
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He was acquired last summer, not at the deadline.

The best non trade for us was Penner, he was terrible in LA.
It's because Penner is just terrible.

I was right pissed when the rumour of our first and Tinordi for him came out. He sucks. We have enough soft players, we don't need anymore players that big who are that soft.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:53 PM
  #16
OpenIceHit
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
Nothing. We should have done nothing. Sopel and Mara were of no help. It was just a waste of asset's. We could have dressed Picard and Weber on D. PG knew it wasn't are year, and he shouldn't have wasted asset's for rentals that have no future with the club.
For what we expected from him, Mara was a great pickup this year. I would have kept him in the lineup way before Spacek.

And to answer the OP, I think PG did the right moves. We were misssing to many good assets to try to go all the way by trading all our draft picks+prospects...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Nathan Horton. Then maybe he'd have scored the game 7 winner for US!
I wanted Horton for the past 3 years. I hate the Ruins but Chiarelli is doing an amazing job with this team...

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:49 PM
  #17
keepcalmandbeninja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Nothing. We should have done nothing. Sopel and Mara were of no help. It was just a waste of asset's. We could have dressed Picard and Weber on D. PG knew it wasn't are year, and he shouldn't have wasted asset's for rentals that have no future with the club.
I will argue acquiring Goalie Drew McIntire was a decent move...

Although I agree with you with a failed rental policy and it could be argued though we let too manly players/assets walk for nothing though... I would like to point out assets lost in weaker trades etc are mitigated by the fact we actively sign free agents such as Diaz, Berger Bishop, St Denis, Nash, Klubertanz etc...

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:41 AM
  #18
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
I will argue acquiring Goalie Drew McIntire was a decent move...

Although I agree with you with a failed rental policy and it could be argued though we let too manly players/assets walk for nothing though... I would like to point out assets lost in weaker trades etc are mitigated by the fact we actively sign free agents such as Diaz, Berger Bishop, St Denis, Nash, Klubertanz etc...
Exactly. We may lose assets but we make assets out of thin air:

Diaz - thin air
Fischer replacement pick - seemed like thin air, but obviously any GM would have done this if at all possible.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:57 AM
  #19
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,514
vCash: 500
Zubrus?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:59 AM
  #20
glenn77
Registered User
 
glenn77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I heard that he didn't want to play for the habs.
Oh really?
Piss on him then lol!
His loss

glenn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:32 AM
  #21
The Goalie Mask
Registered User
 
The Goalie Mask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
Well moves for the playoff run and long term should of been done.

Long term - I would of traded Spacek to be able to sign Wiz

For the playoff run - I would of picked up Kovalev..no risk and a Bruins killer

The Goalie Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
  #22
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goalie Mask View Post
Well moves for the playoff run and long term should of been done.

Long term - I would of traded Spacek to be able to sign Wiz

For the playoff run - I would of picked up Kovalev..no risk and a Bruins killer
Spacek was in the middle of a sub-par season and injured with no timeline for return at time of the deadline. I highly doubt that there was any team that would've taken his cap hit just to do a favour to the Habs.

When a player like Kovalev gets dealt for a 6th rounder straight up, I think that's probably an indication that most GM's in the league didn't want him anywhere near their team.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:30 PM
  #23
The Goalie Mask
Registered User
 
The Goalie Mask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Spacek was in the middle of a sub-par season and injured with no timeline for return at time of the deadline. I highly doubt that there was any team that would've taken his cap hit just to do a favour to the Habs.

When a player like Kovalev gets dealt for a 6th rounder straight up, I think that's probably an indication that most GM's in the league didn't want him anywhere near their team.
Spacek is an experienced defensemen that could of added depth to any playoff team looking to go deep. I think some GMs would of gambled.

Kovalev is still the magician & a motivated magician could of done well in Montreal especially with his fondness for Montreal. There was nothing to loss to bring him back...we needed more offense in the playoffs(pp and 5 on 5) and Kovalev could of provided that for 5th or 6th rounder...I personally think it would of been a no brainer...he would of opened up the ice for forwards as well..

The Goalie Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:41 PM
  #24
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goalie Mask View Post
Spacek is an experienced defensemen that could of added depth to any playoff team looking to go deep. I think some GMs would of gambled.

Kovalev is still the magician & a motivated magician could of done well in Montreal especially with his fondness for Montreal. There was nothing to loss to bring him back...we needed more offense in the playoffs(pp and 5 on 5) and Kovalev could of provided that for 5th or 6th rounder...I personally think it would of been a no brainer...he would of opened up the ice for forwards as well..
You're looking at the Spacek situation and completely ignoring the context. Spacek went down in mid-February with an unspecified lower body injury (at the time). The severity of the injury was unknown and Spacek's knee (as it turned out) was being re-evaluated the week of the deadline. There were rumours of Spacek being out for the year which were met with a "no comment" from Martin. News that he could return if his knee scope went well and healed quickly came out the day after the deadline. As of March 1st, he was expected to be out for 4-6 weeks, best case scenario.

No GM would want to trade for Spacek at the time given the extremely tangible possibility that he wouldn't be ready for the playoffs. Even had a team took a chance and picked him up for the playoffs, the odds were that he would see very little regular season time with the team to get back in shape and used to his new teammates and system. On top of that, picking up Spacek would also mean absorbing one additional year of his contract, which he wasn't living up to. It just wasn't going to happen.

As for Kovalev, we obviously have different opinions on what he had to offer. At the time, I thought the magic was gone and all that he would provide to a team is the rare flash of brilliance peppered with inconsistency and mediocre effort. From what I saw of him in Pittsburgh, he lived up to my expectations.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:25 PM
  #25
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
On top of that, picking up Spacek would also mean absorbing one additional year of his contract, which he wasn't living up to. It just wasn't going to happen.
This is the only part of your statement that matters. GM's could have gotten the prognosis from Habs if they were interested. However nobody was taking on Spacek at this past year's deadline for a playoff push to get saddled with his contract for next year.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.