HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JVR's Commitment to the offseason

Old
05-31-2011, 10:44 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
JVR's Commitment to the offseason

Nice to see JVR's commitment he showed in the playoffs carry over to the offseason...

Quote:
TWO TEAMS ARE still battling for Lord Stanley's mug, yet James van Riemsdyk already has made at least one trip to Darien, Conn., to hunt for an offseason residence.

While not far, Darien is not exactly near the beach - and it's certainly not within close proximity to a lake stocked with bass or trout.

Van Riemsdyk's goal is not to hang out with his buddies, to catch rays or check out women on the beach, or to pack on the pounds one Bud Light at a time.

Van Riemsdyk's pilgrimage to Darien is to train for next season. Some players hire a personal trainer to come to them. Instead, Van Riemsdyk will spend nearly 16 weeks in Connecticut with renowned hockey trainer Ben Prentiss, where he will trade reps with the likes of Marty St. Louis, Max Pacioretty, Ryan Shannon, Matt Moulson and Matt Lashoff.

For van Riemsdyk, who broke out in the Stanley Cup playoffs with seven goals in 11 games, this summer is about picking up next season where he left off at the beginning of May.

"For me, I think it was a matter of getting an opportunity," van Riemsdyk said in a recent phone interview. "I wanted to step up for the team, above the injuries that we had, and help take the lead.

"I got a taste of it, a tiny glimpse. I want more of that."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1NwasBtrG

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:50 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Nice to see JVR's commitment he showed in the playoffs carry over to the offseason...
Love this kid. Beast mode, engage.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:59 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I suspect though that JVR may be asexual since he doesn't want to check out babes at the beach

Actually, women dull the senses so we need JVR to be our version of the RAGING BULL with ice down the shorts!

Old
05-31-2011, 11:17 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Pretty sure a few of the guys he's training with are his buddies. Gotta love a slanted article.

Not taking anything away from JVR -- love that he's training hard.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:36 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Pretty sure a few of the guys he's training with are his buddies. Gotta love a slanted article.

Not taking anything away from JVR -- love that he's training hard.
Slanted article?

The article says he was referred to this trainer by Max Pacioretty and Pronger and that several NHLers will be at the camp.

05-31-2011, 11:40 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I'm sure he'll make friends with those NHLers he is training with but it's not like his posse from NJ is going to be training with him so not sure where the slant is although it's possible the reporter is insinuating something underhandedly but we don't know for sure (hence the bold)....

Old
05-31-2011, 11:43 AM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Good. Turning into a monster power forward.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Slanted article?

The article says he was referred to this trainer by Max Pacioretty and Pronger and that several NHLers will be at the camp.
I think CG's point is that his goal may not be to hang out with his buddies, but that he'll be training with a few anyway.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
haha, I'm glad to see that JVR is training. But he couldnt resist taking shots at Richards and Carter, could he?

05-31-2011, 01:28 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I think CG's point is that his goal may not be to hang out with his buddies, but that he'll be training with a few anyway.
Thank you.

I don't want to take anything away from JVR's committment to training. I love that he's doing it.

BUT, training with your buddies (some of whom have been buddies for a number of years and who he'd hang out with regardless of what they're doing) isn't quite the same as the sentiment in the article - which is why I mentioned the slant.

Old
05-31-2011, 01:34 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

All of James' NJ friends are graduating college and stepping into jobs this summer.

He's training with his NHL friends, guys from USA Hockey or UNH/BU/BC

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:34 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
I suspect though that JVR may be asexual since he doesn't want to check out babes at the beach

Actually, women dull the senses so we need JVR to be our version of the RAGING BULL with ice down the shorts!
women make weak legs!

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Ghost of Downie*

I can only hope that Bill Clement says he looks like a Greek god in training camp.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
I can only hope that Bill Clement says he looks like a Greek god in training camp.
Mmmm-mm!

Old
05-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Thank you.

I don't want to take anything away from JVR's committment to training. I love that he's doing it.

BUT, training with your buddies (some of whom have been buddies for a number of years and who he'd hang out with regardless of what they're doing) isn't quite the same as the sentiment in the article - which is why I mentioned the slant.
Sorry, reaching there. JVR is moving to spend his summer working out. That's the story. He's not heading to a lake, he's heading away from it. So what that he knows a couple of the guys there? He's only going to be with them because they are making the same sacrifice.

It's a lot different working out with personal trainer in a special camp all summer, than just doing it on your own at your camp.

There was no slant, he's sacrificing another summer to improve his body and his game.

But then, I'm sure we'll see Richards' new sculpted frame after his summer working out with Gary Roberts. No more 8 year old physique for him. He'll be faster, bigger and stronger after a hard summer working out as he is every training camp, or al least as Stamkos and Crosby are...

I wonder if Richie asked Pronger for a reference to a summer boot camp?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Sorry, reaching there. JVR is moving to spend his summer working out. That's the story. He's not heading to a lake, he's heading away from it. So what that he knows a couple of the guys there? He's only going to be with them because they are making the same sacrifice.

It's a lot different working out with personal trainer in a special camp all summer, than just doing it on your own at your camp.

There was no slant, he's sacrificing another summer to improve his body and his game.

But then, I'm sure we'll see Richards' new sculpted frame after his summer working out with Gary Roberts. No more 8 year old physique for him. He'll be faster, bigger and stronger after a hard summer working out as he is every training camp, or al least as Stamkos and Crosby are...

The slant wasn't tilted at JVR...

Old
05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
"I got a taste of it, a tiny glimpse. I want more of that."
if only every player thought like this; have a great game and actually want to play that same great game every game

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

That's how I see it but unfortunately with the comments by the reporter it detracts from his story a bit b/c he may be insinuating something about Carter and Richards but again we don't know that for sure so it's kind of unfair to make that a focus and a red herring. It def detracts from JVR's commitment this summer as you say to improving himself which is very commendable. He's also not exactly going to summer camp or band camp and he's not there for R&R. He's there to work..to slant it like it's something fun is actually the disservice.

Having said this I think people's personal sensitivities when it comes Richards and Carter are WAYYYY too fragile on this board. I suppose we can thank the late Cartsiephan who is supposedly not with us (although have my doubts). Seems we need to get over him and his whole shtick b/c it seems the default Carter and Richie hate crutch when their names come up continues to persist....

Old
05-31-2011, 02:35 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:

I'm sure Richards is pumping weights with his surgically repaired/healing wrist as we speak.

Stamkos was out at a bar immediately after losing game 7. I don't recall hearing any uproar over those photos, but you can bet your ass the world would have ended had Richie been photographed doing the same.

But have at 'er if it makes you happy.

Personally, I don't give a flying **** what the players are doing on their vacation, as long as they're ready to roll when training camp begins.

Old
05-31-2011, 02:37 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Having said this I think people's personal sensitivities when it comes Richards and Carter are WAYYYY too fragile on this board. I suppose we can thank the late Cartsiephan who is supposedly not with us (although have my doubts). Seems we need to get over him and his whole shtick b/c it seems the default Carter and Richie hate crutch when their names come up continues to persist....
Don't worry - Larry paved the way for Cartsiephan.

Old
05-31-2011, 02:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
if only every player thought like this; have a great game and actually want to play that same great game every game
Maybe this is what happens when thousands of crazed people dressed in orange are all chanting your name in one of the most important games you've ever played.

I'm just saying...for those that had faith in this kid from draft day to present, this is nothing short of a reward for patience.

JVR is going to be a monster.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:01 PM
phillyfanatic

Unfortunately, I suspect this production is going to be fun for a year, but I doubt JVR is a Flyer after next year! He is going to want top money and I don't think we are going to be able to afford him if we upgrade in goal, etc. Now, We will get a kings ransom in return as I suspect next year he will become a legit power forward with Carter like production. I truly believe playing with Giroux he cracks 30 goals next year.

We shall see, but I really like his game.....I am "almost" hoping he doesn't have a great year so we can keep him on the cheap for 3 more years.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Unfortunately, I suspect this production is going to be fun for a year, but I doubt JVR is a Flyer after next year! He is going to want top money and I don't think we are going to be able to afford him if we upgrade in goal, etc. Now, We will get a kings ransom in return as I suspect next year he will become a legit power forward with Carter like production. I truly believe playing with Giroux he cracks 30 goals next year.

We shall see, but I really like his game.....I am "almost" hoping he doesn't have a great year so we can keep him on the cheap for 3 more years.
I can see them going...

"This is what Giroux got. That's fair enough. We'll give you your money after that."

Really can't imagine a world where JVR gets more than $3.75m/year in his next contract unless he breaks 82+.

That said, to think JVR isn't a Flyer after 2011-12 is ludicrous. Our big four forwards aren't going anywhere.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:08 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Love this kid. Beast mode, engage.

ENGAGE!

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post

I never have a problem with the years I had to pay a lot of taxes because it meant that I made a lot of money...

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote