HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens sign 3.

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2005, 04:56 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 500
Malec should be an awesome pick. Young D with top-4 potential. Seems like he can also play the role of a pest pretty well. Check out the following description on his fight card:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/774/fightcard/reg03

Old
08-19-2005, 04:57 PM
jamiebez

Depth chart: (ordered by my preference ):
LW: Schaefer, Varada, Kelly, Bochenski
RW: Hossa, Alfredsson, Havlat, Eaves, Neil, McGratton
C: Spezza, Fisher, Smolinski, Vermette, Kaigodorov, Marlins
D: Chara, Redden, Phillips, DeVries, Volchenkov, Pothier, Schubert, Malec

Obviously, there's some mixing-and-matching that can happen here, especially with Smoke, Fisher, Havlat, and Vermette. Kelly also plays C, I believe. I'm assuming Clouthier is strictly a farmhand at this point...

Old
08-19-2005, 04:58 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
The Malec signing is interesting. Might make a good depth defenseman. Martins is a great energy guy but I'd like to see Kelly center the 4th line.

Old
08-19-2005, 05:18 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Hockey's Future profile on Tomas Malec:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=2197

Should be right there fighting for the 6th spot with Pothier and Schubert. I guess this also signals the end of Todd Simpson as a Senator.

Old
08-19-2005, 05:30 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Wow, this seem to have come out of left field.

Brett Cloutier - big, young, seems to be pretty tough, a local kid and plays LW. Definately means McGratton plays in Ottawa this year.

Steve Martins - fast and fiesty player, still too small for the NHL but I would rather have him play 4th line centre than Kelly who I think is a natural LWer. I think that Martins may start the year as 4th line centre between Neil and McGratton.

Tomas Malec - I know very little about him but his bio is interesting and a top 4 D-man? Interesting, I wonder if this means they have a deal to move de Vries? This guy seems to have some size, skill and he"s young, very interesting signing.

Neil vs Domi
McGratton vs Perrott
Chara vs Belak
Fisher vs Tucker
de Vries (if he is still around) vs McCabe
Pothier vs Kaberle
Lindros vs Alfredson - punch him in the head Alfie!
the two Russians vs Hossa and Havlat (ballroom fighting)
Hasek vs Belfour
Emery vs all the other Leafs

Old
08-19-2005, 05:31 PM
DaveMatthew

Good signings.

TSN has Malec's career potential as a top 4 defenseman. That sounds pretty good.

Old
08-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Alfie#11

Malec

Aren't we getting just a little carried away with Malec?

Dude was let go by sad teams like Carolina and Anaheim. He lasted a long time in the UFA pool. This is a marginal player with a bit of upside.

He's not bumping any of the top 5 guys and may not even make the team.

On a side note - I can't believe the disrespect Pothier is shown. He's a legitimate bottom pairing NHLer with the ability to contribute on the PP and an AHL all star. He's a definite step above guys like Schubert and Malec.

Old
08-19-2005, 05:58 PM
armani
Guy Likes

"He's a definite step above guys like Schubert and Malec".

Some guys from Bingo will definitely dispute you on this one. I remember people stating on the Bingo board last year how Schubert deserved to go to the AHL all-star game and the only reason why Pothier was chosen was because of his reputation.

Pothier has been a liability for Ottawa the last time NHL played. I just hope and pray he proves me wrong if he is the team's 6th D penciled in.

Old
08-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Murphy*

I'd like to see the sens pickup Serge Payer again.

Old
08-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Freeshot

Obviously Murray likes Malec... traded for him in Anaheim and now he's signed here.

Old
08-19-2005, 07:40 PM
valleyhockey

Clouthier was a late addition, last semester of high school in the Prior, but we would claim him, he was huge even then and reputation was one of the toughest ever to play in the O. Like Mufferaw J , he is strong as an Ox, never did shot put before-absolutely no style and only one or two practices as a lark and he made to regionals. Also bumped into him in a few taverns and he is as nuts as they come. I'm a huge Sens fan and think Mcgratton has all the potential to be the heavyweight and may want Domi in opener, but really does anything hurt Tie's head, one tough SOB! Usually just enjoy reading your banter but had to reply to the Arnprior quotes - not many famous but best fries in eastern Ontario(yep I'm a hick and proud)

Old
08-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Big Mama*

Malec was a very good signing. I think it means Redden is on the way out. I wish the leafs had signed him. He was my sleeper.
Why are you girls so excited about fights. Tuck will charge the bench & the Sens will turn the other cheek as they did before. It is why the leafs win. No one will mess with Tuck.

Old
08-19-2005, 10:59 PM
yintin

When a guy like Pothier can black-eye Tucker, he really isn't much of a concern.

Old
08-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani
"He's a definite step above guys like Schubert and Malec".

Some guys from Bingo will definitely dispute you on this one. I remember people stating on the Bingo board last year how Schubert deserved to go to the AHL all-star game and the only reason why Pothier was chosen was because of his reputation.

Pothier has been a liability for Ottawa the last time NHL played. I just hope and pray he proves me wrong if he is the team's 6th D penciled in.
They might dispute it, but the fact remains that Pothier made it and Schubert didn't. I know the game that I saw last season featured the same useless Schubert I saw struggle against kids after his first year of pro hockey. From what we've heard, Schubert improved. I'll wait to see what happens, but until he shows otherwise - he stinks in my eyes.

I think Pothier has done alright - for a bottom pairing defenceman. Obviously he was overmatched playing along side Redden in the playoffs. Over the season though, I thought he was a decent 5-6th defenceman. He's a righty and that helps his cause.

Old
08-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Murphy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Tucker
Malec was a very good signing. I think it means Redden is on the way out. I wish the leafs had signed him. He was my sleeper.
Why are you girls so excited about fights. Tuck will charge the bench & the Sens will turn the other cheek as they did before. It is why the leafs win. No one will mess with Tuck.
...How are the hobbits doing?

Old
08-20-2005, 12:05 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
The Sens will turn the cheek again because they wouldnt want to be charged with them trying to spit on Tucker. Who knows what outrageous claim Tucker could give next. Maybe he'll say Neil shot a spitball at him while on the ice, or attempted to throw a brick at his head.

Old
08-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Gratt's

Quote:

Old
08-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

to provide a second opinion on Malec, yes he came to Anaheim highly regarded (although according to some, his development had stagnated in Carolina prior to the trade), but by the end of the year, he was a player who had a hard time keeping a top six spot in Cincinnati. I'm not sure if it's attitude problem or something, but I expected him to appear ready to step into Anaheim's lineup and he dropped the ball. Unless there's been some drastic change in his play, don't expect for him to push for a bottom pairing spot for at least the upcoming season.

Old
08-20-2005, 08:54 PM
crashthenet

I would like to know what Malec cost? I was hoping to see him come this way. Anyone of you guys care about(aboot) losing Prusek?

Old
08-20-2005, 09:54 PM
15theheatison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashthenet
I would like to know what Malec cost? I was hoping to see him come this way. Anyone of you guys care about(aboot) losing Prusek?
We would have liked to keep him as insurance in case Hasek went down but I think the majority of us agree that Emery needs some playing time so we don't mind him that much. I hope for the best for Prusek.

Old
08-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

I'm not that worried about losing Prusek, but it's a bit disappointing to think that he'll never get to play with Hasek now. Hasek was his hero growing up, and he was really excited to be getting the chance to play with him.

Old
08-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Jorge Garcia

Pothier's limitation as an NHL defenceman is the same as Darcy Tucker's inadequacy as an NHL tough guy: They're willing, they know what to do, but they lack the physical force to get the job done. I admired the hell out of Tucker for the way he came back for more every time he was levelled by the Senators last year, but he is pretty harmless when he's not taking someone's knee out.
By the way, Crashthenet, it's pronounced a-bout, as in boxing bout, not a-boot as in wet-weather footwear. Canadian: a-bout. American: a-bawwt.

Old
08-21-2005, 07:49 PM
crashthenet

I stand corrected!

Closed Thread