HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Official Catbird Refuge/Sanctuary

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2011, 09:53 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Official Catbird Refuge/Sanctuary

Since it looks like the deal will go down in a few minutes I thought we should officially roll out the welcome mat for the Thrasher faithful.

(mods feel free to merge if you feel appropriate but I think since the situation is changed this title is more appropriate)

One thing that really bothers me is apparently the Thrash forum will just be renamed for the Winnepeg team and all of the old content will be left in place.

I cant imagine that the Thrash fans will want to stay on that board and would offer this thread as a safer and hopefully less trolled place to come and grieve/discuss/commiserate THEIR team without having to wade through all of the 'peg fans.

So Thrash fans, come on in.... have a cup of coffee, or a shot of Jack Daniels, and take a load off.

If you have the heart to stay with NHL hockey, we invite you to join PredNation.

We understand it may take time, and if you dont stay, go in peace.

Old
05-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Firestorm

vCash: 500
As a Canadian, I apologize to all Thrashers fans for the crap that have and still put up with from other Canadians.

Old
05-31-2011, 10:10 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I know that the fans in Winnipeg are happy right now, and I also know that they didn't do anything to sabotage the team or to make this a sneaky deal at all... but I still hate this crap so much. I'm so glad our team came out of expansion so I don't have to look back and think about how the fans of the team that moved here felt.

Thrasher fans, if you can stomach the league still feel free to pull up a chair. In due time you can find yourself an avatar, or keep your Thrasher 'tars if you want to keep rep'n. This place is safe from trolls, vultures, and excited Winnipeggers who can't stop for a second to think how their gloating or celebrating is actually hurting people emotionally, and if they come around we all have plenty of experience in dealing with them.

Old
05-31-2011, 10:20 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

Thanks for the kind words. I dunno if I'll be watching the NHL for a while, but I have a soft spot for the Preds.

I really hope no fanbase has to go through this.

Old
05-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I know that the fans in Winnipeg are happy right now, and I also know that they didn't do anything to sabotage the team or to make this a sneaky deal at all... but I still hate this crap so much. I'm so glad our team came out of expansion so I don't have to look back and think about how the fans of the team that moved here felt.

Thrasher fans, if you can stomach the league still feel free to pull up a chair. In due time you can find yourself an avatar, or keep your Thrasher 'tars if you want to keep rep'n. This place is safe from trolls, vultures, and excited Winnipeggers who can't stop for a second to think how their gloating or celebrating is actually hurting people emotionally, and if they come around we all have plenty of experience in dealing with them.
I posted that on the Atlanta board for you (and I cited it as you).

Old
05-31-2011, 10:35 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

By all means feel free to vent your frustrations here. I'll be on for a while longer even though it's getting late here (nearly midnight).

Old
05-31-2011, 10:52 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
I posted that on the Atlanta board for you (and I cited it as you).
Thanks. I made a post over there, too. I just wanted to put a bit more thought into it than I did over here since I know more Thrasher fans will see it over there haha. I have no problem with you posting that, though. I wouldn't have said it had I not meant it.

by the way guys, I've been talking our fan base up a lot throughout this. I don't expect you guys to do anything less than make it look like I was downplaying how awesome you all are as fans. If situations like these can't make you take a step back to really look at and appreciate the group of people we have who live, sleep, eat, breathe, and bleed Preds hockey then nothing will. Thanks for all of you for still being here. Even the ones I disagree with constantly

Old
05-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Thanks. I made a post over there, too. I just wanted to put a bit more thought into it than I did over here since I know more Thrasher fans will see it over there haha. I have no problem with you posting that, though. I wouldn't have said it had I not meant it.

by the way guys, I've been talking our fan base up a lot throughout this. I don't expect you guys to do anything less than make it look like I was downplaying how awesome you all are as fans. If situations like these can't make you take a step back to really look at and appreciate the group of people we have who live, sleep, eat, breathe, and bleed Preds hockey then nothing will. Thanks for all of you for still being here. Even the ones I disagree with constantly
Wait... What did you promise them?

Free Hat?

Free hug from Shane O' Brien?

Old
05-31-2011, 11:12 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Haha naa just some good conversation about hockey with some good people.

And maybe I promised them that they could crash at some of the posters' houses if they come up for games. I only mentioned a few names specifically

Old
05-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Haha naa just some good conversation about hockey with some good people.

And maybe I promised them that they could crash at some of the posters' houses if they come up for games. I only mentioned a few names specifically
Allllriiighttt, party at Golfmade's house!

Old
05-31-2011, 11:18 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Allllriiighttt, party at Golfmade's house!
Ya'll are more than welcome but I ain't providing airfare!

Old
05-31-2011, 12:41 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I didn't think JustAnother's "Apology" thread on the Atlanta boards was necessary, but then I saw two different posts in that thread that changed my mind. One is basically "you had your chance. sorry, but goodbye" and the other was "if 25% of NHL teams moved to Mexico to grow the game you guys would be happy if one failed and moved back" IN the thread set up to apologize for those same kinds of remarks...

true remarks or not, some folks simply can't be helped...

Old
05-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I didn't think JustAnother's "Apology" thread on the Atlanta boards was necessary, but then I saw two different posts in that thread that changed my mind. One is basically "you had your chance. sorry, but goodbye" and the other was "if 25% of NHL teams moved to Mexico to grow the game you guys would be happy if one failed and moved back" IN the thread set up to apologize for those same kinds of remarks...

true remarks or not, some folks simply can't be helped...

On the positive side, those posts are frequently getting deleted, and the egregious ones are getting folks extended bans - and as that board will become the Winnipeg board and all bans will stay in place, that means those strutting vultures won't even be able to discuss the team they're so thrilled to have stolen.

So there is some justice at work in this sorry affair.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-31-2011, 03:35 PM
kevinqx

Thanks for this thread Predators fans. I've been waiting until the Thrashers' relocation to become official before I contemplated other NHL teams to follow. It now seems like the time has come, and the Predators are the team I'm most seriously considering.

Being the closest NHL city to Atlanta, the Predators are about the only team in which I can realistically see a good number of games a year in person. It's about a four hour drive, which I'd be willing to do on occasion and definitely for important games. Although, it's kind of a shame that closest NHL option for us Atlantans, after the departure of the Thrashers, isn't even in the same time zone.

The fact that the Predators are also somewhat of a recent expansion team is also appealing to me. While I can't quite get in at the ground floor like I could with the Thrashers, the Predators offer me the opportunity to get close. One of the fun things with the Thrashers for me was that I was going to get the opportunity to see the team grow from day one, and see the team grow in popularity in the community. It was thrilling to think how how much excitement hockey would generate in the city as soon as the team started to succeed. I looked forward to the day when the team perennially made the playoffs. I looked forward to the day when they would make a deep playoff run. I'll never get the opportunity to see that develop now. Since the Predators have made it to the playoffs often, and beyond the first round this very year, I won't get to see this unfold the way I had hoped to with the Thrashers. However, at least I'll be able to experience the teams first Conference Finals appearance, and first Stanley Cup finals appearance as a fan of the team.

Of course, now more than ever, I want to support NHL hockey in the south, and in general in places that aren't considered "traditional markets." If my ticket money and support of the team helps in any infinitesimal way to keep the same fate from happening to Nashville 10-15 years down the line that happened to Atlanta, then that would be the biggest reason of all for me to want to support the Predators.

I don't really post much, I'm more of a lurker. I only have around 50 posts over 2 years on this account, and only had around 100 over around 7 years on my previous account (I forgot my login information), but I do read the boards on a daily basis and I'll miss reading the posts made by my fellow Thrashers fans on our old board. But it looks like everyone over there is splitting off and following different teams, or sticking with the team even if they move, or giving up on the NHL entirely. There were a lot of excellent posters there, though if I do migrate to the Predators board I have no doubt that I will find the same high level of quality here.

Old
05-31-2011, 03:43 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqx View Post
Thanks for this thread Predators fans. -snip-
You are welcome to lurk, or post, on our boards. In fact, when you're looking to come up for a game I'm sure you'll find quite a bit of help with tickets (season ticket holders can, and probably will be happy to, get you individual tickets through their rep at the season ticket prices). Check out some of the deals that we have. I'm sure a lot of those will come back, some will be expanded on, and new deals will come up between now and Christmas.

Good to have you around. Sorry that it has to be on such bad terms.

Old
05-31-2011, 03:56 PM
KevFist
is best pony

So I'm calling Nashville tomorrow to order my Preds ticket plan....Cellblock 303 for me...

Old
05-31-2011, 04:11 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
You are welcome to lurk, or post, on our boards. In fact, when you're looking to come up for a game I'm sure you'll find quite a bit of help with tickets (season ticket holders can, and probably will be happy to, get you individual tickets through their rep at the season ticket prices). Check out some of the deals that we have. I'm sure a lot of those will come back, some will be expanded on, and new deals will come up between now and Christmas.

Good to have you around. Sorry that it has to be on such bad terms.
There's also a good deal of posters who meet pre game or at the glass for warmups. I've met lots of people that way and they're all good ones. It's a great way to put a name with a screen name.

Old
05-31-2011, 04:28 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
So I'm calling Nashville tomorrow to order my Preds ticket plan....Cellblock 303 for me...
I'll buy you a beer at your first game

Old
05-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
As a Canadian, I apologize to all Thrashers fans for the crap that have and still put up with from other Canadians.
Ditto. No matter the situation, fans invest alot of emotion into a team, and to lose it is a big blow. My sympathies.

Old
05-31-2011, 05:07 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I'll buy you a beer at your first game
I'll have to find some nightclubs in Nashville to work in now.... Plus, nashville really makes more sense for me anyway. the law firm I work for has a big office in Nashville that I'm having to pay more and more attention to lately... Combine business with pleasure....

Old
05-31-2011, 05:14 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Also Nashville moved around their radio broadcasting so they can be picked up in Northern Alabama

(Almost like they knew something.....)

Old
05-31-2011, 07:50 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Just read where Fox Sports South is going to start shooting more Nashville games into North and Central Alabama, as well as the Atlanta market.

Old
05-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Firestorm

I wonder how people felt when Nashville was almost bought... (if there was this same level of empathy towards NSH fans as people today show to ATL fans).

Old
05-31-2011, 09:05 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I wonder how people felt when Nashville was almost bought... (if there was this same level of empathy towards NSH fans as people today show to ATL fans).
I didn't lurk on HF Boards yet as I was still a newbie on the main boards, but I will say that the media, both in Canada and in Nashville, ranged from apathetic all the way to journalistically malicious (I don't know if that's a real term or not, but I'm using it). There was a particular poster who I shall not name who decided to come tell us how he hates it for the few "real" fans, but Hamilton deserves a team more. He also let us know when he put his deposit down for season tickets to the Hamilton Predators. Others from the area came around the boards there (np.com) to let us know that Canadians deserve the team more than us. We were told it was Canada's game. Hell, there was enough crap flung our way from "traditional market" fans, especially north of the border, the shirts were actually sold at our rally (to pay for tickets for underprivileged children) that said "Puck Canada" on the back. I still have mine.

I think had it gotten to the point of us actually moving we may have seen some out pour of support, but also keep in mind that we had just gotten done with two pretty dominant seasons. A lot of fans who never cared about us all of the sudden hated playing us. Also the Bettman hatred was MUCH stronger then, though it's still pretty strong. Nashville was synonymous with Bettman back then. Still is to some...

Old
05-31-2011, 09:14 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
I didn't lurk on HF Boards yet as I was still a newbie on the main boards, but I will say that the media, both in Canada and in Nashville, ranged from apathetic all the way to journalistically malicious (I don't know if that's a real term or not, but I'm using it). There was a particular poster who I shall not name who decided to come tell us how he hates it for the few "real" fans, but Hamilton deserves a team more. He also let us know when he put his deposit down for season tickets to the Hamilton Predators. Others from the area came around the boards there (np.com) to let us know that Canadians deserve the team more than us. We were told it was Canada's game. Hell, there was enough crap flung our way from "traditional market" fans, especially north of the border, the shirts were actually sold at our rally (to pay for tickets for underprivileged children) that said "Puck Canada" on the back. I still have mine.

I think had it gotten to the point of us actually moving we may have seen some out pour of support, but also keep in mind that we had just gotten done with two pretty dominant seasons. A lot of fans who never cared about us all of the sudden hated playing us. Also the Bettman hatred was MUCH stronger then, though it's still pretty strong. Nashville was synonymous with Bettman back then. Still is to some...
Is that 'Dryden'?

Closed Thread