Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Sports Radio Thread Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Therick67

vCash: 500
Knocking EEI & Jacobs in the same day, absolute heaven..

Old
05-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Neely08

Felger just hit on a good point (listening on iphone may be on delay).

The B's drive interest in youth hockey, like my generation, every kid wanted to be Bobby Orr. Rinks were built because of Orr.

What kid wanted to be Joseph Stumpl or Joe Thornton?

Old
05-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Knocking EEI & Jacobs in the same day, absolute heaven..
That's why I tuned in. Want to hear this, missed it.

I loathe EEI.

And hey guys, meant no offense to the tubby, my sincere apologies. Was directed at Endleman for things he used to routinely say to degrade my sport. I used to also have an obese football coach who used to follow me around HS trying to get me to play, by telling me hockey and lacrosse were loser sports, football's for winners, etc. He was also a teacher, and made things tough for me grade wise, until I finally played foosball.

Old
05-31-2011, 02:55 PM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

omg my ears are bleeding

Old
05-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
c'mon upper level management at sports hub, steal the Sox from Enhanced Enema Inc. and put the final nail in the coffin of this blood sucking vampire of a radio station.
Hate to P*** you off Pie, but I go to admit, this morning as I was trying to listen to T&R play their silly little songs and feebly attempting levity, I could take it no longer and hit the button which brought my radio to the other station.

They had Barry Pederson on and he was a good interview.

I'm listening to hockey talk over insulting the ex lead singer of Loverboy every time, despite how much he deserves to be insulted!!

Old
05-31-2011, 03:04 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
Ever been in the balcony during a regular season game? Fat guys love hockey.
All that beer has to fit somewhere.

Old
05-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
DAMMIT. I missed the beginning.

Stupid work.

He sounded teary. Mazz and him are floored. Felger said the bandwagon is open and all aboard but one caller is calling out pink hats and the Richie riches. Mazz giving JJ props.

I better not miss Cam.. Stupid inspection sticker

I am Boston Strong

Old
05-31-2011, 03:23 PM
doakacola*

Felger was dead on about the lack of interest and production of high profile players in Mass.

However, Thornton and Samsonov in the late 90's helped maintain interest in the sport in Boston. The 1988-91 teams certainly raised the interest of the sport and the Neely, Bourque, Janney/Oates teams had enough talent to maintain decent interest until the disasterous 96-97 team which yielded Thornton and then in the Wesley trade Samsonov.

By the beginning of the 1999-2000 season, SI actually had your Boston Bruins winning the Stanley Cup. Anyone remember that? You then had them start to rebuild again with the 2001-02 team thru Bergeron's rookie year. It wasn't until the lockout they actually sunk to pathetic levels. Some of the talk is revisionist
and this needs to be pointed out.

Last edited by doakacola*: 05-31-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old
05-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post

The B's drive interest in youth hockey, like my generation, every kid wanted to be Bobby Orr. Rinks were built because of Orr.

I was just discussing this the other day. Basically since the season ended two teams pretty much folded in RI. One completely just dissolved and the other merged with a neighboring town. Too many other options popping up that are touting "AAA" type hockey for kids who are B players at best. But this recent surge will really help start engaging the younger kids and you will see more and more kids joining the sport which is great.

Old
05-31-2011, 03:34 PM
lostinthebronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Felger was dead on about the lack of interest and production of high profile players in Mass.
However, Thornton and Samsonov in the late 90's helped maintain interest in the sport in Boston. The 1988-91 teams certainly raised the interest of the sport and the
Neely, Bourque, Janney/Oates teams had enough talent to maintain decent interest until the disasterous 96-97 team which yielded Thornton and then in the Wesley trade Samsonov. By the beginning of the 1999-2000 season SI actually had your Boston Bruins winning the Stanley Cup. Anyone remember that? You then had them start to rebuild again with the 2001-02 team thru Bergeron's rookie year. It wasn't until the lockout they actually sunk to pathetic levels. Some of the talk is revisionist
and this needs to be pointed out.
I don't think it's revisionist at all - the Bruins have not been a successful, winning team in a very long time. Those Thornton era teams never lived up to the hype or the expectations and never made it past the first round of the playoffs.

Old
05-31-2011, 03:45 PM
stick9

Quote:

I bet there were plenty of kids of that generation who wanted to be Thornton or Samsonov.

Kids don't scrutinize things to umpteenth degree like adults.

Old
05-31-2011, 03:47 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthebronx View Post
I don't think it's revisionist at all - the Bruins have not been a successful, winning team in a very long time. Those Thornton era teams never lived up to the hype or the expectations and never made it past the first round of the playoffs.
You're missing the point. Hindsight is 20/20, so naturally you can point to the lack of playoff success, but I had a son who was in youth hockey from 1990-1999 and then played HS hockey through 2003 (including Super 8 on a PS Team). I can tell you right now some of those teams did very well (90-92, 02, 04) either PO or regular season and at the start of some of those seasons were considered contenders and parents/kids thought so also. Thats my point, some TS hosts make it sound like Boston didn't have any good teams since say 1981, thats what I'm talking about.

Last edited by doakacola*: 05-31-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old
05-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Joey from the north end and Frank the tank are the best.

Old
05-31-2011, 03:52 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I bet there were plenty of kids of that generation who wanted to be Thornton or Samsonov.

Bingo, my son and many of his youth hockey teammates thought Thornton and Samsonov were great. My son wore Samsonov's # in HS.

Old
05-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Heard Ordway pontificating on my way to work. According to the Big O, the fans hate Julien's system, will turn on the Bruins if they don't win the Cup, and the future doesn't look very bright, so they have to win now.

Thankfully it's only a 15 minute drive.

Old
05-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post

Stick, when we were kids, if you badmouthed Orr or the B's, you got a bloody nose and your bike thrown in a pond.

In 05/06 my nephew asked me for an Oiler's Samsonov jersey for his birthday. Oilers, dude. "But Uncle, the Bruins SUCK!!!" Will never forget it, but he was right. He's since stopped playing hockey altogether, and he was outstanding. This is despite his father, his hero, who played w/ members of the 80 Olympic team.

My oldest? Eyes as big as saucers watching Timmah, Lucic, Chara, Bergeron celebrate on the ice. "Daddy, we get to play for the Stanley Cup now?"

There's simply no substitute for that. None.

Old
05-31-2011, 04:23 PM
doakacola*

Basketball Jones is just jealous that "his team/sport" is relegated to nothingness while hockey and the B's are all the rage. The NBA finals outside the minority community will literally be a non-entity in Boston. It sucks to be WEEI and the Big Zero.

Old
05-31-2011, 04:31 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Stick, when we were kids, if you badmouthed Orr or the B's, you got a bloody nose and your bike thrown in a pond.

In 05/06 my nephew asked me for an Oiler's Samsonov jersey for his birthday. Oilers, dude. "But Uncle, the Bruins SUCK!!!" Will never forget it, but he was right. He's since stopped playing hockey altogether, and he was outstanding. This is despite his father, his hero, who played w/ members of the 80 Olympic team.

My oldest? Eyes as big as saucers watching Timmah, Lucic, Chara, Bergeron celebrate on the ice. "Daddy, we get to play for the Stanley Cup now?"

The 1980 US Olympic Team somewhat extended the Orr era craze and gave the sport a bump for about another 2 years around Boston. The area produced some pretty decent talent amongst kids born during 1974 (Carey & Pandolfo) and 1975 (Gill, Grier & Bates) who would have been 5 & 6 year olds when the US team won Gold.

Old
05-31-2011, 04:34 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Basketball Jones is just jealous that "his team/sport" is relegated to nothingness while hockey and the B's are all the rage. The NBA finals outside the minority community will literally be a non-entity in Boston. It sucks to be WEEI and the Big Zero.
The NBA wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so likely that LeBozo James and his Miami Heat were going to win it all this year. I haven't watched a single game of the NBA Finals nor do I plan to.

Old
05-31-2011, 04:35 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Heard Ordway pontificating on my way to work. According to the Big O, the fans hate Julien's system, will turn on the Bruins if they don't win the Cup, and the future doesn't look very bright, so they have to win now.

He's clueless

Old
05-31-2011, 04:36 PM
doakacola*

Quote:

That was a once in a lifetime era that won't be duplicated again. Structurally and demographically you will never see the interest in any sport like that again.

Old
05-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Neely08

Neely on ECF clincher: Flawless, coaches did great job preparing the team.

Watching the players mature during the course of these playoffs has been great, they've learned from the past.

Does making the finals validate coach, GM, Neely?
We haven't won anything. We've grown along the way when stumbling. 4 more wins.

How involved are you in hockey decisions?
I'm involved, in all conversations, I'm not the GM. Good working relationship w/ Chia. We have discussions. (Picturing Neely going wtf do you know you harvard *****! And slamming fist on table.)

Down 2-0 going into montreal, there were conversations a/b what could work better, and it did.

Expected a lot of himself as a player, expected a lot from his teammates, nothing has changed wearing a suit. Hopes his presence helped push people....

Phone died! Grrrrr......

Old
05-31-2011, 04:37 PM
ksp1957

Quote:

Does the Big Zero even know anything about hockey ? When I used to listen to his Hockey Talk, I wanted to rip the radio out of the console and throw it out the window.

Old
05-31-2011, 04:40 PM
lostinthebronx

Quote:

Those comments and outlook is proof positive that the station's long standing attitude towards the Bruins has not changed at all. The B's success coupled by their continued ratings demolishment by 98.5 has forced them to talk about a sport they hate and deep down hope will go away so they can continue focusing on the Celtics and Sox.

This is why no matter who they interview, even if they're guys like Jack Edwards or Barry Pederson, both of whom I really like, I will never listen to any of their shows.

Old
05-31-2011, 04:42 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
Does the Big Zero even know anything about hockey ? When I used to listen to his Hockey Talk, I wanted to rip the radio out of the console and throw it out the window.
Haha KSP join the club. Didn't like him way back on WITS.

Closed Thread