HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OLN on Cablevision Basic Cable Package before the Season?

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveytrain
If the opening game is blacked out on MSG I give up
You've held on this long--you're going give up now? There must be a bar somewhere that has OLN!

And remember, the next night is the home opener which will definitely be on MSG.

Old
08-20-2005, 05:11 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
And remember, the next night is the home opener which will definitely be on MSG.
The home opener is all good and well, but when you havent had hockey in 18 months it really sucks knowing that you can't watch the game. I understand your point, but you probably understand where people without OLN are coming from.

Old
08-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Fletch

There should be some game...

that you can watch...yeah, it does suck...an it's a great way to come out of the gates - having customers who cannot see your game...

Old
08-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
You've held on this long--you're going give up now? There must be a bar somewhere that has OLN!

or i could order OLN for the month for 5 bucks rather then spending many times more then that at a bar...

either scenario seems unnecessary, and coming from this orginization its downright enfuriating

Old
08-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveytrain
or i could order OLN for the month for 5 bucks rather then spending many times more then that at a bar...

either scenario seems unnecessary, and coming from this orginization its downright enfuriating
Direct your anger at the right place--the NHL. They are the ones that struck a deal with OLN to put the Rangers game on OLN exclusively. The Ranger organization had no choice (I'm sure they were suggesting to the league they showcase the Pittsburgh game) and would much prefer to have it on MSG.

Old
08-21-2005, 12:26 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR fan 2
this is total bs, most people don't get OLN and they won't play it on MSG, i will be very pissed off if i can't watch the opener on October 5
where did you come up with that? most people do get OLN. granted, not as many as get ESPN...but still more than half of all television households in the US get OLN (64 million out of 109 million to be exact.)

Old
08-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
where did you come up with that? most people do get OLN. granted, not as many as get ESPN...but still more than half of all television households in the US get OLN (64 million out of 109 million to be exact.)
Is it reaching 64 million homes, or do 64 million homes have access to it? Seems that in most cases, OLN is a premium channel.

Old
08-21-2005, 10:24 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Is it reaching 64 million homes, or do 64 million homes have access to it? Seems that in most cases, OLN is a premium channel.
i'm fairly certain that it is reaching 64 million homes. from the NHL press release "Now in more than 64 million homes, OLN...". i mean DirecTV has what, 13 million subscribers?...wouldn't directv say that that 109 million homes get directv considering that every household in america could theoretically put a satellite dish on their roof? but i would be curious to know how many more people have access to OLN but are not subscribing to a package that includes it.

Old
08-21-2005, 10:48 AM
HF_Rangers

Cablevision is greedy... they're gonna milk the $5 extra for OLN for all it's worth until fans and the media complain to a point where Eliot Spitzer will force Cablevision to show OLN on basic cable. God I hate Cablevision and living next to a Comcast market, they got a much better selection and pricing than Cablevision customers.

Old
08-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
but i would be curious to know how many more people have access to OLN but are not subscribing to a package that includes it.
I am one of those people. I had to call Cablevision to find out I could subscribe. Something tells me I counted as one of those 64 Mil.

The reason I ask is that ESPN claims 90 Mil. ESPN is on every basic cable operator's service. Is it possible that only 1 in 3 American's subscribes to cable?

Old
08-21-2005, 11:47 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I am one of those people. I had to call Cablevision to find out I could subscribe. Something tells me I counted as one of those 64 Mil.

The reason I ask is that ESPN claims 90 Mil. ESPN is on every basic cable operator's service. Is it possible that only 1 in 3 American's subscribes to cable?
i think you may be confusing people with households. there are 109.6 million television households in the US. ESPN reaches 90 mil of them, or just about everyone who subscribes to cable or satellite. the rest use rabbit ears or rooftop antennas, but they don't get ESPN.

Old
08-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
i think you may be confusing people with households. there are 109.6 million television households in the US.
You're right, I am. If OLN is in 1/2 of the tv households in the US, that makes more sense.

Old
08-21-2005, 12:07 PM
RangerBlues

Bronx iO Digital Cable does not have OLN

Old
08-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Phil333

Quote:

90 mil represents number of homes. Many homes have more than one person. 90 million is a lot of homes, as much as any cable channel.

Old
08-21-2005, 01:10 PM
chosen

Those of you who harbor a hope of Dolan giving us this or anything else for free haven't learned a thing.

Old
08-21-2005, 01:48 PM
patnyrnyg

There is NO chance that Dolan makes OLN part of basic cable. Besides, Comcast (owners of OLN) will probably expect a larger payment from cable and satellite companies since they are shelling out $65MM to broadcast the games.

The opener will not be on MSG because it is an OLN exclusive, the ONLY place you will be able to watch the game is on OLN. There will be other games that are carried by OLN, but will not be exclusives. Therefore, if the Rangers are on OLN and it is NOT an OLN exclusive, it will be blacked out in NY on OLN, and the game will be shown on MSG. If you recall, there were times when you would see an ESPN commercial for a Rangers game, but then the game was still on MSG and ESPN showed another game? Those were ESPN games, but were not exclusive.

If you get Center Ice, you will NEVER be able to get Rangers, Isles, or Devs broadcasts through Center Ice, they have to black them out in this area.

I am on dish network, OLN is available as part of America's top 180, but I get the top 120 or 160 or whatever it is. Since my landlord includes satellite as part of my rent, I may be stuck without the game.

Old
08-21-2005, 01:59 PM
TrueBlue10

sombody should find a way for you guys to pirate CBC's HNIC.

only problem with that is that the rangers are almost never on it

Old
08-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues
Bronx iO Digital Cable does not have OLN
Punch in channel 408 manually... it wont show up if you use the arrows.. of course its not free.. if its not there i dont know

Old
08-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Nich

guys, 5 bucks a month for hockey.....small investment in all our sanities, no?

i am def going to subscribe at the end of september, and might have to have some friends over to see the first game of the season!

Old
08-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Stinkin' Root Beer

I understand PHI is arguably the best team *on paper* so why not have the first nationally televised game be PHI putting on what most expect to be a clinic against NYR, but am I the only one surprised they won't be showing PIT@NJD?

Old
08-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Fletch

That's why cable companies...

can keep charging and getting away with it - people say what's $5? I said that so much that I have my cable bill over $200 per month. What's another box? $4, big deal. What's another DVR? $8, great, the kids need one too. How much is the sports package? $4? A no-brainer. Yup...all the way to $200. We're getting *****, but unfortunately, for many, there's little chance against some of these monopolies.

Closed Thread