HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thrashers sale completed clearing way for move to Winnipeg

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2011, 02:32 PM
  #51
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
so about 90 bucks a ticket is probably the average price for the Jetoose or whatever they are? figure 15k ppl @ 90 bucks a pop..thats 55 mil in revenue. once you add in concessions, and other expenses, even if they sell out every game, and get money from parking, food, etc, but have to cover other operating expenses, they still may lose money if they plan on spending the cap max, especially if the cap keeps going up.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:37 PM
  #52
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,895
vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
this frikkin sucks.
Sorry man.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:03 PM
  #53
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,526
vCash: 500
I feel bad for the true Atlanta hockey fans, but this is pretty awesome. I just hope it's Columbus coming into the east.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:04 PM
  #54
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Eh, I'm still really down about this.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:11 PM
  #55
3Four3
Registered User
 
3Four3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
I seriously thought Phoenix would be the team moving back to Canada, not Atlanta. If Phoenix can't fix their money woes, does that mean we'll see a team in Quebec City?

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:27 PM
  #56
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,158
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
I seriously thought Phoenix would be the team moving back to Canada, not Atlanta. If Phoenix can't fix their money woes, does that mean we'll see a team in Quebec City?
Both Phoenix and Atlanta should be moved. One is done, so I hope the ball gets rolling on the other. Move it somewhere where fans will care and where it will bring money in.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:34 PM
  #57
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,895
vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Both Phoenix and Atlanta should be moved. One is done, so I hope the ball gets rolling on the other. Move it somewhere where fans will care and where it will bring money in.
Agreed.

I hope it's not to Quebec. I hate Quebec.

Can Las Vegas actually support a team? Or is the population too transient? I know the various leagues shudder in regards to the gambling, but it would be great for the NHL to be the first to break into that market.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:39 PM
  #58
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Agreed.

I hope it's not to Quebec. I hate Quebec.

Can Las Vegas actually support a team? Or is the population too transient? I know the various leagues shudder in regards to the gambling, but it would be great for the NHL to be the first to break into that market.
Didn't Jerry Bruckheimer back that notion not too long ago? I'd be curious to see if they think the town could support the team, or it would be another thing funded via tourism.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:40 PM
  #59
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
You could move any team to Canada and have constant sellouts... even if the Isles moved.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:41 PM
  #60
3Four3
Registered User
 
3Four3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Agreed.

I hope it's not to Quebec. I hate Quebec.

Can Las Vegas actually support a team? Or is the population too transient? I know the various leagues shudder in regards to the gambling, but it would be great for the NHL to be the first to break into that market.
I'd sooner put a team in Hartford, Hamilton, Seattle (Which the league could have done when the Super Sonics were in trouble), Milwaukee, or Omaha than in Vegas.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:43 PM
  #61
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,113
vCash: 500
I highly doubt that Quebec would ever get a team just because it's Montreal territory up their and I don't think any team would try to infringe on that, but that could be completely wrong.

__________________
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:45 PM
  #62
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
If they moved the Coyotes to Vegas it could work out incredibly well.

They wouldn't even lose that many fans, 5 hours isn't that far away. I'd drive 5 hours 3 or 4 times a year to see the Rangers.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:46 PM
  #63
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
so about 90 bucks a ticket is probably the average price for the Jetoose or whatever they are? figure 15k ppl @ 90 bucks a pop..thats 55 mil in revenue. once you add in concessions, and other expenses, even if they sell out every game, and get money from parking, food, etc, but have to cover other operating expenses, they still may lose money if they plan on spending the cap max, especially if the cap keeps going up.
You didn't factor in any major sources of revenue such as advertising/promotions and memorabilia sales. There are a lot of other ways teams make money. If they're selling out every game or coming close to it, which I'd imagine they should with a small arena, that brings ad space on the boards, on the jumbotron, in the programs, in the yearbooks, etc to a premium cost.

edit: TV contract is another huge one...

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:47 PM
  #64
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
If they moved the Coyotes to Vegas it could work out incredibly well.

They wouldn't even lose that many fans, 5 hours isn't that far away. I'd drive 5 hours 3 or 4 times a year to see the Rangers.
A lot of what I hear out of Phoenix is the arena's in an inconvenient location for people in the city to drive to...what makes you think they're willing to endure 5 hours of travel time to see the yotes?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:57 PM
  #65
CH2
Registered User
 
CH2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Agreed.

I hope it's not to Quebec. I hate Quebec.

Can Las Vegas actually support a team? Or is the population too transient? I know the various leagues shudder in regards to the gambling, but it would be great for the NHL to be the first to break into that market.
First, there's a TON of people in Las Vegas who would go to games. There's a decent amount of East Coasters and it's a big tourist location. Think of all the corporate types who'd venture out there for a conference. Second, there have been two or three different casinos that have the desire to build a sports arena to attract professional sports. This would open the possibility for a basketball team to come in as well. Additionally, the arena could be used for concerts, a huge draw in Vegas. The problem is the gambling, but it shouldn't be a huge problem as professional athletes will be traveling and training during the season. If the NHL were to be the first to get in there, they would make $$$$$$.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:00 PM
  #66
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,166
vCash: 500
Sorry I didn't have time to comb through all 3 pages of the thread... Was there any discussion on what their jerseys will look like?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
  #67
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!
 
Stugots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
A lot of what I hear out of Phoenix is the arena's in an inconvenient location for people in the city to drive to...what makes you think they're willing to endure 5 hours of travel time to see the yotes?
Really? I used to live in Phoenix-Metro area and I never really had a problem traveling around there- there certainly wasn't as much traffic as NY. Glendale is pretty close to Phoenix too.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
  #68
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
A lot of what I hear out of Phoenix is the arena's in an inconvenient location for people in the city to drive to...what makes you think they're willing to endure 5 hours of travel time to see the yotes?
Oh seriously? Didn't know that.

Vegas just seems like a much more convenient solution than Canada or on the other side of the US.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
  #69
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Sorry I didn't have time to comb through all 3 pages of the thread... Was there any discussion on what their jerseys will look like?
nOTHING LIKE THAT OR TEAM NAME. tHEY SAID THAT'S THEIR NEXT FOCUS THOUGH.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:04 PM
  #70
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
First, there's a TON of people in Las Vegas who would go to games. There's a decent amount of East Coasters and it's a big tourist location. Think of all the corporate types who'd venture out there for a conference. Second, there have been two or three different casinos that have the desire to build a sports arena to attract professional sports. This would open the possibility for a basketball team to come in as well. Additionally, the arena could be used for concerts, a huge draw in Vegas. The problem is the gambling, but it shouldn't be a huge problem as professional athletes will be traveling and training during the season. If the NHL were to be the first to get in there, they would make $$$$$$.
Tourists are not going to help TV ratings though. I don't really feel like going to see a hockey game in Las Vegas would be a priority for many people who are traveling there to gamble and see The Strip... Pretty difficult to start a hockey franchise in a non-traditional market because you don't have a solid foundation of fans in place that are drawn to the sport and raise children who subsequently follow the sport. IMHO the only reason the Florida expansion teams were able to endure is because of the large contingent of retirees and relocated fans coming from traditional hockey markets.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:34 PM
  #71
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,895
vCash: 145
Awards:
Yeah, a Vegas team would do well with attendance, no doubt. But it's things like jersey sales, STH, and tv ratings where you depend on more of a devoted fan base. Can Vegas provide that support? I'm not saying no, I really don't know.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:41 PM
  #72
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Tourists are not going to help TV ratings though. I don't really feel like going to see a hockey game in Las Vegas would be a priority for many people who are traveling there to gamble and see The Strip... Pretty difficult to start a hockey franchise in a non-traditional market because you don't have a solid foundation of fans in place that are drawn to the sport and raise children who subsequently follow the sport. IMHO the only reason the Florida expansion teams were able to endure is because of the large contingent of retirees and relocated fans coming from traditional hockey markets.
One thing they will not have any shortage of is big businesses buying season tickets to give out to their high rollers/clients. That's part of the reason why NYC and the Rangers make so much money. They are write-offs for bigger businesses.

The area is growing and there a lot of people in that area from all over. And most of the workers there, have money. I don't think it would be a terrible move if it is marketed right.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:43 PM
  #73
MugatuNYR
so hot right now
 
MugatuNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
I highly doubt that Quebec would ever get a team just because it's Montreal territory up their and I don't think any team would try to infringe on that, but that could be completely wrong.
Apparently there is a massive amount of Quebecois who have a deep hatred of Montreal (the hockey team, not the city).

That would easily explain how they got 2000+ fans to come to Newark for the Devils last game of the season:

http://www.runningwiththedevils.com/general-nhl/articles/nordique-nation-invades-newark.html

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 04:57 PM
  #74
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
I highly doubt that Quebec would ever get a team just because it's Montreal territory up their and I don't think any team would try to infringe on that, but that could be completely wrong.
AFAIK Nordiques and Habs fans hated each other. I doubt those people became Habs fans after their team left.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:04 PM
  #75
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
Its extremely half assed to have Winnipeg in the South East Division.

How hard is it to simply put Nashville in the South East and Winnipeg in the Central.

Give Nashville Winnipeg's schedule. Give Winnipeg Nashville's schedule.

Done.

How hard is that.

The NHL is so full of incompetence its ridiculous.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.