HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ted Black Q&A: Nobody has "final say" on personnel moves

Old
05-27-2011, 06:18 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
We know that's what they did, but they never publicly said that. Regier always said it was a collaboration between him, Lindy, BTG and Quinn. I think that's what was being pointed out.
There is a difference between a GM getting input from a variety of sources and then making the final call and a group using a decider protocol to make decisions.

The final say model allows for much quicker decisions.

The Sabres obviously feel that the group decision path will lead to better overall decisions.

Only time will tell.

I'm just concerned that having to get a bunch of people on board with decisions that need to be timely (trade deadline, trades at the draft, the 7/1 UFA frenzy) might cause the Sabres to miss out on opportunities.

And I was hoping that the days where Regier comes out and says "We were in on a lot of deals that just didn't happen" were over.

But, this doesn't give me a warm fuzzy that they are.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:27 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
There is a difference between a GM getting input from a variety of sources and then making the final call and a group using a decider protocol to make decisions.

The Sabres obviously feel that the group decision path will lead to better overall decisions.

Only time will tell.

I'm just concerned that having to get a bunch of people on board with decisions that need to be timely (trade deadline, trades at the draft, the 7/1 UFA frenzy) might cause the Sabres to miss out on opportunities.

And I was hoping that the days where Regier comes out and says "We were in on a lot of deals that just didn't happen" were over.

Personally, I don't wan't Pegula's amateur opinion of players to carry too much weight when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of building the roster. I think there should be a clear line between ownership and management; the former should give the latter a salary framework, and just step aside.

Anything more is tantamount to ownership meddling. I mean, who do you want to build the team -- Jerry Johnson, or Jerry ****ing Jones?

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:08 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

Only time will tell.

It guess it all depends on how much Pegula and Black feel the need to be part of decisions.

Scenario #1 -> Lets say Regier and/or Ruff feel the team needs to go after two top 4 dmen in the offseason to upgrade our current group. Pegula, Black, Regier, Ruff, etc talk it over and they, as a group, agree thats the course the team should take. Pegula/Black's influence in this scenario may be what money could be in play to target free agents and how much salary in total can be taken on for these two new players. Ruff would obviously have a hand in who he would like to see targeted and would help put together a pecking order of who to go after. All 4 may be involved in deciding what assests (players, prospects and picks) besides money should be in play to make it happen. But once these broad strokes are decided, Regier is left to do his job as GM and make it happen.

Thats one way it could play out. Group decisions on big themes but not the nitty gritty.

Scenario #2 --> The one I think you're worried about. After the broad strokes are decided Pegula/Black are still very involved to the point where they are constantly in consultation on contract offers to UFAs, who should or shouldn't be in deals, etc.

Its obviously too soon to tell what Black means and how it will play out. But my guts tells me its more likely to be scenario #1. I also think/hope it will be an improvement over the previous situation when we lost a decent amount of key players due to primarily finanicial considerations. As opposed to what was best for the team.

Last edited by joshjull: 05-31-2011 at 01:30 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:37 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
It guess it all depends on how much Pegula and Black feel the need to be part of decisions.

Scenario #1 -> Lets say Regier and/or Ruff feel the team needs to go after two top 4 dmen in the offseason to upgrade our current group. Pegula, Black, Regier, Ruff, etc talk it over and they, as a group, agree thats the course the team should take. Pegula/Black's influence in this scenario may be what money could be in play to target free agents and how much salary in total can be taken on for these two new players. Ruff would obviously have a hand in who he would like to see targeted and would help put together a pecking order of who to go after. All 4 may be involved in deciding what assests (players, prospects and picks) besides money should be in play to make it happen. But once these broad strokes are decided, Regier is left to do his job as GM and make it happen.

Thats one way it could play out. Group decisions on big themes but not the nitty gritty.

Scenario #2 --> The one I think you're worried about. After the broad strokes are decided Pegula/Black are still very involved to the point where they are constantly in consultation on contract offers to UFAs, who should or shouldn't be in deals, etc.

Its obviously too soon to tell what Black means and how it will play out. But my guts tells me its more likely to be scenario #1. I also think/hope it will be an improvement over the previous situation when we lost a decent amount of key players due to primarily finanicial considerations. As opposed to what was best for the team.
I like where your heads at on that

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote