HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thrashers sale completed clearing way for move to Winnipeg

Old
05-31-2011, 05:05 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
so about 90 bucks a ticket is probably the average price for the Jetoose or whatever they are? figure 15k ppl @ 90 bucks a pop..thats 55 mil in revenue. once you add in concessions, and other expenses, even if they sell out every game, and get money from parking, food, etc, but have to cover other operating expenses, they still may lose money if they plan on spending the cap max, especially if the cap keeps going up.
what is the "average" ticket price for most other places? If you are factoring sky boxes and lower bowl seats, it's gets hard to know what the value is gonna be. Will only 15k seats, how are they expecting to do well? Even if they sell out every game, that's the bottom 25% in league attendance.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:15 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I feel empathetic towards the true hockey fans in Atlanta--and there are some great fans there, believe it or not--but I'm happy for the NHL in general. And very happy for the fans in Winnipeg, who never should have lost the Jets to begin with.
Atlanta is losing their team for the same reason Winnipeg lost the Jets. They couldn't find anyone local who wanted to buy the team. Jets were in a tough situation. 1) CDN$ was weak at the time. 2) Lousy building with lousy lease. 3) Owners wanted to build a new arena, province or city (forget which) wouldn't allow it since they owned the old building. Remember, in the mid-90's all the Canadian teams except for Toronto were on the verge of financial trouble. Including the Habs and Canucks.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:27 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I agree with Nashville. They make the most sense not only because of their location, which would be what is considered most, but also because of their compete level. I think Nashville has a nice franchise and it would be better for the NHL to stick Nashville in a division with Tampa Bay, Carolina, Washington, and Florida. The first 3 listed have been pretty good over the last few years. You add Nashville to that and that division is even tougher.
Agree Nashville makes the most sense, plus they dont really have established rivals as they are still a relatively new team. And Nashville would be a good team to add to the East, and help balance the East and West a little more.

I am really happy they finally put another team in CA, the more North American teams the better as the passion of hockey there is great and the markets and provinces are centered around hockey. Id like to see a team in Quebec and possibly a team in South TO like Hamilton, London etc.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I feel bad for the true Atlanta hockey fans, but this is pretty awesome. I just hope it's Columbus coming into the east.
i am sure all 2,500 of them can follow the hurricanes or a AHL team....Atlanta has always been and will always be a terrible city for sports.

Good for the Jets and good for the NHL i.m.h.o....

if Phoenix eventually fails (which is will), move them north of the border too.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:30 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Its extremely half assed to have Winnipeg in the South East Division.

How hard is it to simply put Nashville in the South East and Winnipeg in the Central.

Give Nashville Winnipeg's schedule. Give Winnipeg Nashville's schedule.

Done.

How hard is that.

The NHL is so full of incompetence its ridiculous.
Honestly its not that hard, why not do what your gonna do next year this year and save the travel and almsot waste of a year in terms of rivalry development.

Old
05-31-2011, 05:31 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i am sure all 2,500 of them can follow the hurricanes or a AHL team....Atlanta has always been and will always be a terrible city for sports.

Good for the Jets and good for the NHL i.m.h.o....

if Phoenix eventually fails (which is will), move them north of the border too.
That first comment is truly uncalled for.

If you lost your team that you have loved I could never imagine just switching to another team, let alone a division rival. Picking a sports team builds a passion in you, you can't change them like socks.

ATL has shown it can be a good sports town when teams like the Hawks and Falcons are good.

No city deserves to lose a sports team. It's not only painful for fans but local businesses.

05-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Honestly its not that hard, why not do what your gonna do next year this year and save the travel and almsot waste of a year in terms of rivalry development.
it is very hard to just trade schedules. arena's have other events as well then are taken into account when planning a schedule and logistics. (hence the circus comes to MSG when we are usually out west).

They def need a year in lead time.

Old
05-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
That first comment is truly uncalled for.

If you lost your team that you have loved I could never imagine just switching to another team, let alone a division rival. Picking a sports team builds a passion in you, you can't change them like socks.

ATL has shown it can be a good sports town when teams like the Hawks and Falcons are good.

No city deserves to lose a sports team. It's not only painful for fans but local businesses.
honestly i am going to disagree. putting the NHL in Atlanta was the mistake in the first place. which is now a mistake the NHL has realized twice....

I feel bad for the fans, yes, but at the end of the day the NHL will never work in Atlanta.

And good sports towns are ones that still support their teams when they aren't good. having good fans when you are winning is called band-wagoning.

Old
05-31-2011, 05:38 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
God I hope Detroit doesn't come to the east......
God i hope they do, i mean i doubt they will because they have developed as a real Western team but most likely Nash is the team which is also a good team and will be as or even tougher then Det with Weber and Suter etc. I am happy i want a more competetive East, if the Rangers cant handle it they wont do anything in the PO anyway. Atleast it forces the NYr to have to play well during the regular season.

Old
05-31-2011, 05:39 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
And good sports towns are ones that still support their teams when they aren't good. having good fans when you are winning is called band-wagoning....
exactly. you judge a city based on how they support the team when the chips are down. It is easy to follow a winner.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:39 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
honestly i am going to disagree. putting the NHL in Atlanta was the mistake in the first place. which is now a mistake the NHL has realized twice....

I feel bad for the fans, yes, but at the end of the day the NHL will never work in Atlanta.

And good sports towns are ones that still support their teams when they aren't good. having good fans when you are winning is called band-wagoning....
While I agree it's good for the NHL, I still think that ATL fans are a good bunch.

If you've ever watched the Hawks and Flacons you can still see 60% or so of the arena filled up even when they are not bad.

Is ATL a great sports destination? No, but I really don't think it's as bad as the portrait you're painting it out to be in my humble opinion.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:45 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
While I agree it's good for the NHL, I still think that ATL fans are a good bunch.

If you've ever watched the Hawks and Flacons you can still see 60% or so of the arena filled up even when they are not bad.

Is ATL a great sports destination? No, but I really don't think it's as bad as the portrait you're painting it out to be in my humble opinion.
I'm gonna have to go against you as well on this one. Atlanta's a dead sports town. Had trouble filling up the crowd for Thrasher games (not completely their fault though, team had been bad and ownership was disastrous), the Hawks were in the bottom ten of the league in attendance even though they had one of the better teams in the league, the Braves always had problems drawing even in the playoffs, and even the Falcons didn't sell out their games and it's a football town.

I feel bad for the diehards down there and people like Inferno who can no longer go to NHL games but this was the right move for the NHL.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:43 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:

They have 60% of the arena filled when they are great. The only time Atlanta supports pro teams is in the playoffs. It's a terrible market with terrible fans. I've been saying this for years. It is what it is. It's an anomaly, for sure. They don't deserve any of the teams they have, really.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:44 PM
zestystrat

As a NYer in ATL this really sux...no NHL for me and more importantly my 4 year old who got to high five some NYRs at the last game in ATL...and was really getting into the game. I guess it's Gladiator games for us.

But, I really wonder why non-Canadians are so happy about this move. All is does is make the sport that you love even less relevant in the USA.

I would have been a little less upset if they went to KC, LV or Portland or somewhere where there is a chance to grow the sport.

Hey Atlanta sucks as a NHL market fine, but moving teams out of big US markets with growth potential and putting them in much smaller Canadian markets - where the sport is already hugely popular with very little potential for overall growth, doesn't really help the league grow IMO.

People who want ESPN back, good luck with that too. The NHL just lost a top 10 US market. Why would ESPN want the NHL when there are even less US teams and has even less local interest within their tv universe? The answer is that they won't.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:52 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
People who want ESPN back, good luck with that too. The NHL just lost a top 10 US market. Why would ESPN want the NHL when there are even less US teams and has even less local interest within their tv universe? The answer is that they won't.
The NHL and NBC/Versus just signed a 10 year deal a few months ago. No chance for ESPN now anyway.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:59 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
As a NYer in ATL this really sux...no NHL for me and more importantly my 4 year old who got to high five some NYRs at the last game in ATL...and was really getting into the game. I guess it's Gladiator games for us.

But, I really wonder why non-Canadians are so happy about this move. All is does is make the sport that you love even less relevant in the USA.

I would have been a little less upset if they went to KC, LV or Portland or somewhere where there is a chance to grow the sport.

Hey Atlanta sucks as a NHL market fine, but moving teams out of big US markets with growth potential and putting them in much smaller Canadian markets - where the sport is already hugely popular with very little potential for overall growth, doesn't really help the league grow IMO.

With Winnipeg in the fold and the Canadian dollar strong, revenue will be higher causing the cap to rise.

The move directly affects the Rangers in that sense but also negatively affects them in the sense that Nashville or Detroit could be coming over to the conference next year (more competition for a playoff spot.)

ESPN is out anyway because of the new NBC contract. Another reason why the NHL wasn't that upset with this deal. They already have a TV deal locked in for a while so there's no worries about that.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:01 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:

How hard is it to simply put Nashville in the South East and Winnipeg in the Central.

Done.

How hard is that.

Because both teams have different needs for their venue at different times.

There are concerts, rodeos, circuses, etc. that they may already have booked.

Managers of arenas have more to worry about than just hockey.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:24 PM
OverTheCap

I don't expect many Rangers fans to understand, but as someone who lived in Atlanta for 4 years, this breaks my heart. I couldn't get Center Ice in college, so one of the few times I was able to catch the Rangers was when they played the Thrashers. Atlanta is a city that has a lot of Northern transplants, so although the city isn't overflowing with Thrashers fans, there are loads of hockey fans there. It's an unfortunate loss for Atlantans.

I hope people don't blame Thrashers fans for this. The ownership group of ASG was horrible and makes Dolan look amazing in comparison. ASG only cared about the Hawks and the Thrashers were the red-headed stepchild. They owned the team as if they could a flying **** whether or not hockey succeeded down there.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:33 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I blame 100% Don Waddell. How he stayed on board that job for so long is unfathomable. He makes Sather look like the best GM in the history of all sports, ever.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:53 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:

Done.

How hard is that.

I think they want to wait until the Coyotes situation is resolved after next season. If the Coyotes move east then they'd have to move Nashville (or Columbus) back to the West again. Better to just keep it the way it is now and see what happens in Phoenix than to flip flop a team back and forth 2 years in a row.

EventHorizon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:10 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1600
Well it must suck to be a Thrasher fan. But at least it's a Canadian city they're moving to. America's hat deserves another team, since it is there sport, right? But I wouldn't mind seeing Detroit coming to the East. Sure, it will make it a lot tougher to make the playoffs, but I always love watching the Wings and 4 games a season (if they aren't in our division) is a whole lot better than 1 game a season.

05-31-2011, 11:18 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Really? I used to live in Phoenix-Metro area and I never really had a problem traveling around there- there certainly wasn't as much traffic as NY. Glendale is pretty close to Phoenix too.
Jeremy Roenick seemed to really hate the placement of the arena and he seemed to have a decent amount of people in agreement with him, that's all i really remember of it

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:

Done.

How hard is that.

agree. i don't know why the nhl has to make things difficult.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:49 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
I think they want to wait until the Coyotes situation is resolved after next season. If the Coyotes move east then they'd have to move Nashville (or Columbus) back to the West again. Better to just keep it the way it is now and see what happens in Phoenix than to flip flop a team back and forth 2 years in a row.
You make sense. Things are in flux.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
That's gonna suck travel wise for them

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote