HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill back, 1 year @ 2.25

Old
05-31-2011, 05:47 PM
Garry Valk

vCash: 500
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...ing_with_habs/

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:48 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
My thinking when pairing Emelin with Markov was not about language (at least not at first). I simply thought that they would be a good match of size and skill. I also thought about balancing the pairings in such a way where there wasn't an obvious weak link. Almost anyone with Spacek would be weak, except for maybe Subban, which is why would pair the two together. Than Gill and Gorges because they already have chemistry to begin with.

All this would be different if Weber was definitely in, and Spacek definitely 7th D. Then i would pair Emelin with Weber, and Subban with Markov. Spacek just messes everything up for me, or more precisely, Martin unwillingness to admit that Weber is better and that he should play him instead, despite the salary disparity.
Seriously, what are you people smoking? I'd love to get rid of Spacek to get a cheaper, tougher defenceman for the bottom pairing but when Spacek's healthy, Weber doesn't hold the old mans jock. Maybe in the future, but to say that as of now is complete nonsense.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:49 PM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
How the hell is Wisniewski "redundant" because of Yannick freaking Weber?
LOL

that is amazing !!!

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:50 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
I am fully aware of cap geek & the calculator. My point was just cause you put it in magically, does not mean in real life, the numbers work. Dunce.

Its good and all that you want both Wiz & Markov back, but the habs need to upgrade up front as well. And dont forget you have to lock in guys like price, subban, Pax long term after this year. And already committed with Cammo, Gomez, Gio long term, you cant go signing guys to 5 mil contracts.
Thats why short, cheap contracts for proven vets is a good choice in this new NHL.

Everyone says they want to be back. Sure if we offer him 6 mil a year, he will sign. Do you know how much he wants? Do you not think we will have to overpay?
He is a Michigan born kid, do you know think he wants to play in Detroit? Especially with the cap room they have? Please actually think before you post.

Teams deal with injuries. Just like this year. You cant go into a season and sign a ton of guys, thinking, "what if subban gets injured?". If he does, you deal with it then.

Your minus points on Gill make no sense again. Who would you fill his roster spot with? Unproven kids? Who know if Yemelin will even be on the roster? And besides 5 good playoff games, what has Weber done to be slotted over gill in the top 6??

Give me a break. Gill isnt a sexy player, but he is one of these versatile leaders who you need to win games. Im more willing to live with him at 2.25.
Exactly what I've been saying. Health issues + Yemelin = it's a good idea to go in with 7-8 D-men with 1 single D that can replace Marky/Subban. Spacek,Gorges,Gill all those guys can't do it.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Gill <3

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:53 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The have the same size and skills. Weber is not yet where Wisniewski was last year, but he should be in a year or two.
So Weber will top 50 points while being as tough as nails in a year or two? Good to know..

Guys, it's more like Weber has become redundant. I don't hate the guy, he's got ok potential and has done well for us, but there are a bunch of guys I'd rather have than him considering the make-up of our team.

Old
05-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Bob McKenzie confirms it on twitter, pretty much official now.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:56 PM
dustyrockon

This is good! Lock him down 5 years 5 mil! No but seriously... Awesome, I hope he stays!

dustyrockon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:57 PM
coolasprICE

Kriss e, Swimmer, ECHW..., and the rest of you Hammaluvas,

it looks like like I was right:

GILL > hamrlik

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
Spacek is much better than Gill.
no

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
So Weber will top 50 points while being as tough as nails in a year or two? Good to know..

Guys, it's more like Weber has become redundant. I don't hate the guy, he's got ok potential and he's done well for us, but there are a bunch of guys I'd rather have than him considering the make-up of our team.
He may not top 50 points if Subban and Markov get top PP minutes(which Wisniewski wouldn't be getting if he was still here) but he should be a 35-40 point guy that plays about 20 minutes a night and can step up if Subban or Markov go down.

The part you are overlooking is that compared to those other players(Wisniewski/other skilled UFA's), Weber will cost peanuts in terms of cap hit(800k-1mil versus 5 to 6 mil).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
coolasprICE

I have to give credit to PG and management on this one...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

GILL > hamrlik
Gill isn't necessarily a better player...but he fis better with our cap situation and team needs. His size/strength and PK play are more needed than Hamrlik's all around play and higher cap hit.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Do yourself a favor, and check the word "suggestion" in the dictionnary.

And I'm fairly sure Emelin's language issues won't be a determining factor of who he's gonna play with. It's just ridiculous.
I don't need to look it up, why don'T you? if you suggest something it means someone is at least interested into hearing what you have to say which I think would never happen in this situation. Especially when you put "strongly suggest".

I agree with you that language won't be a determining factor of who he's paired with. Which is why the teacher thing is completely irrelevant. Also, Markov can hekp him during the practices and the off-ice issues without being paired with him.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:01 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
My thinking when pairing Emelin with Markov was not about language (at least not at first). I simply thought that they would be a good match of size and skill. I also thought about balancing the pairings in such a way where there wasn't an obvious weak link. Almost anyone with Spacek would be weak, except for maybe Subban, which is why would pair the two together. Than Gill and Gorges because they already have chemistry to begin with.

All this would be different if Weber was definitely in, and Spacek definitely 7th D. Then i would pair Emelin with Weber, and Subban with Markov. Spacek just messes everything up for me, or more precisely, Martin unwillingness to admit that Weber is better and that he should play him instead, despite the salary disparity.
I agree with your analysis here.

Weber in general was more stable back there than Spacek was, or I should say more stable on a regular basis. Spacek's best games we're better, but his worst games we're way worst as well. The majority of the posters on this forum continue to disregard Weber as anything more than a 4th line forward of 7th/8th defenseman because he's not "big enough/tough enough/doesn't fit our needs". Fact is, he's been good in a #6 role and with a little bit of mentoring from a guy like Gill he can make the next step. He has fantastic offensive instincts and just because his goal numbers haven't matched his AHL/Junior success doesn't mean he's a bust, he's playing extremely safe in fear of the eventuality of his benching. The same problem that plagued Subban around December. He still posted 11 pts in 41 games (22pts over 82 games pro-rated is decent for a rookie D-man playing about 16 minutes a game. His playoff contributions although small in sample tell a good story of what he can contribute. His positioning is very good already, his first pass is good, his skating is great, he's decent along the boards despite his small stature.

I am high on Weber and I'm not scared to throw it out there, under no circumstances do I think he has the kind of upside that Subban does, but I do believe he can be a good #4-5 defenseman in the long haul. I can't believe people would suggest he become trade fodder at the young age of 22 years old (23 at puck drop in October). Why? So we can try and sign Bieksa at a severe overpayment because of his playoff contributions? So we can land Ehrhoff, again, at an overpayment? I can see the arguement in wanting to keep Wisniewski, but it depends on the tradeoff. Wisniewski at 5M? I'd rather have Weber at 1M and use the other 4M on a guy like Laich to bolster the Top 6/9 at the forward position.

We need to stop trading our young players just as they are coming into their own and their values are minimal!!!

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Rushtime

overpayment..

Rushtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:02 PM
elsubz

Awsome news, now if the team signs Markov imo we're done at D.

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:

GILL > hamrlik
Some really wonky logic there. One has nothing to do with the other. Not to mention Hamrlik could still re-sign here (though I'm not expecting it).

I also imagine wherever Hamrlik signs, he'll make more than 2.25M.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:07 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I agree with your analysis here.

Weber in general was more stable back there than Spacek was, or I should say more stable on a regular basis. Spacek's best games we're better, but his worst games we're way worst as well. The majority of the posters on this forum continue to disregard Weber as anything more than a 4th line forward of 7th/8th defenseman because he's not "big enough/tough enough/doesn't fit our needs". Fact is, he's been good in a #6 role and with a little bit of mentoring from a guy like Gill he can make the next step. He has fantastic offensive instincts and just because his goal numbers haven't matched his AHL/Junior success doesn't mean he's a bust, he's playing extremely safe in fear of the eventuality of his benching. The same problem that plagued Subban around December. He still posted 11 pts in 41 games (22pts over 82 games pro-rated is decent for a rookie D-man playing about 16 minutes a game. His playoff contributions although small in sample tell a good story of what he can contribute. His positioning is very good already, his first pass is good, his skating is great, he's decent along the boards despite his small stature.

I am high on Weber and I'm not scared to throw it out there, under no circumstances do I think he has the kind of upside that Subban does, but I do believe he can be a good #4-5 defenseman in the long haul. I can't believe people would suggest he become trade fodder at the young age of 22 years old (23 at puck drop in October). Why? So we can try and sign Bieksa at a severe overpayment because of his playoff contributions? So we can land Ehrhoff, again, at an overpayment? I can see the arguement in wanting to keep Wisniewski, but it depends on the tradeoff. Wisniewski at 5M? I'd rather have Weber at 1M and use the other 4M on a guy like Laich to bolster the Top 6/9 at the forward position.

We need to stop trading our young players just as they are coming into their own and their values are minimal!!!
Amen to that. Weber will be an NHl defensement and he needs to play. You can see that he's getting better with every game he plays on D.

You just know that if he becomes a poor man's Mark Streit the same people that want us to trade him will come back and complain about it.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Bleu Blanc Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushtime View Post
overpayment..
same contract than last 2 seasons, he deserves it, good veteran for subban and he is our main piece in the PK.

Bleu Blanc Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:09 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He may not top 50 points if Subban and Markov get top PP minutes(which Wisniewski wouldn't be getting if he was still here) but he should be a 35-40 point guy that plays about 20 minutes a night and can step up if Subban or Markov go down.

The part you are overlooking is that compared to those other players(Wisniewski/other skilled UFA's), Weber will cost peanuts in terms of cap hit(800k-1mil versus 5 to 6 mil).
The Habs run 2 PP units so Wiz would get his fair share regardless. Fact is you have no idea whether or not Weber will be as good as you state, which is still not as good as Wisniewski who is better offensively and is a physical presence out there.

I obviously realize that Weber will cost much less, but what good is cap space if we don't use it? The money is there and we definitely need to up the ante if we'd like to go far in the Po's.

In my eyes, the only way we shouldn't use Weber to move up in the draft or to acquire another young player in the style we need, is if we dump Spacek.

Old
05-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

GILL > hamrlik
Because farting in your toilet will cause a tremor on the moon.

In other words. Inconsequential. It's a non-sequiture, except in the simplitically-driven minds of people who think it's a matter of Gill vs Hammer.

Both could be back for next season.

You'll look very foolish if they also bring back Hamr, which is still a big possibility.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Bleu Blanc Rouge

I still believe that wiz is our plan B if we don't sign markov

Bleu Blanc Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:14 PM
NHLcrazy

Good lenght