HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MDZ: "Never Been So Motivated"

Old
05-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Even if he was a defensive trainwreck, he showed potential in that facet. He made a few very good, subtle little plays that most rookies wouldn't. If he improves on his frame, while working on his shot, he should be good to go next season. He also needs to stop thinking so much and just go on instinct. He was SO predictable.
He always tried in the defensive zone, which is what I find the most important. Some offensive defenseman just slack off or give half effort on defense and they never get better. Del Zotto at least looked like a guy who wants to play better, he just didn't know how yet.

People give Del Zotto way too much ****. He's like 20 years old, he had a good rookie season for a 19 year old, despite some short comings, and struggled in his second year...it's not a big deal yet, no need to make ominous threats about him or talk like he's a bad player/prospect right now

edit: That quote sounds like he's worried about the Rangers bringing in a power play quarterback and making it so there's no place for him on the team. That's what I got out of it

Last edited by Levitate: 05-31-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:00 PM
CH2

This may rile people up, but it's purely of my belief the McCabe wasn't much of an improvement defensively in comparison to Del Zotto. Additionally, despite his average speed, DZ was still more mobile than McCabe was, not to say it was a wasted trade or anything. I think people are over-stating the poor play of Del Zotto. As another poster mentioned, it looked like he was thinking too much and that caused him to lose all confidence in his skills.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:42 PM
Levitate

oh yeah, McCabe was not good defensively at all. He had the big shot that Del Zotto didn't, however (not that it ended up making a huge difference)

Old
05-31-2011, 06:04 PM
NYR Viper

McCabe was A LOT more effective on the PP than MDZ. MDZ lost his confidence and the move to the AHL was the bets move or him for the long-run. He needed playing time. sucks he got hurt, but it was needed for his development.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:11 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
This may rile people up, but it's purely of my belief the McCabe wasn't much of an improvement defensively in comparison to Del Zotto. Additionally, despite his average speed, DZ was still more mobile than McCabe was, not to say it was a wasted trade or anything. I think people are over-stating the poor play of Del Zotto. As another poster mentioned, it looked like he was thinking too much and that caused him to lose all confidence in his skills.
Yeah I definitely don't agree with the poster who described his defensive play as "beyond terrible". I saw some minor improvements in MDZ's defensive game this year, but his offensive attributes struggled so that did not help his case. I think overall he's good along the boards, he's physical and knows how to pin his man to the boards to disrupt the play. This year he was better at shot-blocking and taking away passing lanes with his body. His rookie year he was pretty good at moving the puck in the defensive zone, either via outlet passes or by smart, soft passes to teammates within the zone to facilitate a clear. Not sure how his defensive game is going to come around but I really hope he's in the right mindset and improves this upcoming season because I think he belongs in the NHL and I like the way he plays the game (when he's on his game).

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
As much as I understand the D man takes more time to blossom.... MDZ will be on thin ice. He better be motivated because he got passed over by Sauer and McDonaugh + the Rangers are bound to look for a vet D man this summer. Where is MDZ supposed to play?

Staal Girardi
Mcd Sauer

I dont see him touching the top 4 and Gilroy beat him out of a spot as well, is he coming back? Add a vet D Man = MDZ better play his ass off or Hartford it is

What about Valentenko and McIlrath? They'll be gunning to make an impression as well.

We all over rate our prospects at times. Its tough to make the NHL. You gotta be the best. Wheres Bobby Sanguinetti? He was supposed to be the answer too.

I will be rooting hard for MDZ to reach his full on hyped potential and beyond. But he has painted himself into a pickle
He'll be right in the thick of things for the 3rd pairing. Yes, the top 4 is set, but theres not a traditional puckmover among them. Yes, if they add a veteran D-man, it'll make Del Zotto's job even tougher to win a spot in camp.

Valentenko will challenge for the #6 spot, but McIlrath? That guy is years (plural) away from making an impact on an NHL rink.

I am not overrating Del Zotto's performance, but perhaps I am overrating his value to the organization being we have NOONE capable of filling the role he showed flashes of filling as a teenager. Maybe Bobby Sanguinetti was supposed to be the answer, but excuse me if I give Del Zotto a little more slack being he showed a hell of a lot more potential at a younger age.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
McCabe was A LOT more effective on the PP than MDZ. MDZ lost his confidence and the move to the AHL was the bets move or him for the long-run. He needed playing time. sucks he got hurt, but it was needed for his development.
Well, McCabe was more effective at first, but soon lapsed into mediocrity like the rest of the team on the PP. Del Zotto still moves the puck better than McCabe if he can get himself back on track. I like what he said about studying tape on guys like Lidstrom and Boyle, I like knowing that players are doing more than just hitting the gym in order to become better players.

Old
05-31-2011, 08:39 PM
bscharf

Quote:
Well he better make the team or else his value will tank and it will be another meh trade off of unrealized potential with the Yotes or Leafs.

This kid is supposed to move the puck and hold down a basic reasonable blueline effort.

He has failed at both to this point.
First off, the kid is 20 years old. Second, he showed his natural talent as a rookie. Hes going to develop and torts already has said, when this team competes for a cup, DZ will be a big part of the effort. If you think differently youre a terrible judge of talent

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well, McCabe was more effective at first, but soon lapsed into mediocrity like the rest of the team on the PP. Del Zotto still moves the puck better than McCabe if he can get himself back on track. I like what he said about studying tape on guys like Lidstrom and Boyle, I like knowing that players are doing more than just hitting the gym in order to become better players.
I agree...McCabe looked good on the PP. Clearly a difference in the way he distributed the puck and opposing teams had to change thier PK units when he was on the blueline. However, he did tail off a bit. What was worse though, and what really stood out to me was that he stood out really bad in his own end. So, granted he might have needed time to adjut to his new partners, overall he looked frazzled against the opposing rush. I thought he hmade alot of bad decisions when pressured. He seemed like a likeable guy, but if he was to return at a discount even, IMO he hampers the development of MDZ, who I feel totally deserves the right to earn his position back. And id much rather see a 20year old who can continue to develop grab that spot over a seasoned vet who I question on the defensive side of the puck.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

McCabe was good enough in his beginning stint here that made me feel alright with the trade, but he tailed off and played at the level I thought he would when I said I did not want us to trade for him.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:53 PM
trilobyte

If he is healthy and in great shape, we should see a better Del Zotto this year. If he gets on the team straight out of camp, it should mean that he has earned it.
From there on it's a fresh start. Hopefully he gets more comfortable, because during the majority of his appearances last season what I saw was a guy who was very unsure of himself and never looked relaxed.
I mean, as a player, you have to be able to manage the stress of expecatations, somehow or other.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
If he is healthy and in great shape, we should see a better Del Zotto this year. If he gets on the team straight out of camp, it should mean that he has earned it.
From there on it's a fresh start. Hopefully he gets more comfortable, because during the majority of his appearances last season what I saw was a guy who was very unsure of himself and never looked relaxed.
I mean, as a player, you have to be able to manage the stress of expecatations, somehow or other.
I don't necessarily think he earns a spot because he outplays people by a wide margin. It's also possible that he gets a spot if Sather adds no one of note to QB the powerplay. If Sather doesn't for whatever reason, then I think it's once again Del Zotto's spot to lose...for better or worse.

As happy as we are with our top 4, none of them are going to be a go to guy on the powerplay in the near future. Someone has to do it, and if there's no better alternative, then Del Zotto finds himself right back where he was the past 2 years to begin the season.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:36 PM
trilobyte

No, I don't mean that he comes in and makes Sauer look shoddy, that's not going to happen.

I think you are correct in saying that a puck carrying defensive prospect is attractive in his own right. My point is that he is basically competing against himself, i.e. all he has to do is not look rattled as much as he did last season.
I would consider that progress.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:38 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
First off, the kid is 20 years old. Second, he showed his natural talent as a rookie. Hes going to develop and torts already has said, when this team competes for a cup, DZ will be a big part of the effort. If you think differently youre a terrible judge of talent
He has failed to stick wth the team. In fact he has regressed from his brief glimpses of quality play.

And my judge of talent says that Sauer and McD were clearly NHL ready when MDZ was not.

My judge of talent expects the Rangers to look for and sign a vet D man in the summer to help on the blueline over the long haul of an 82+ game season.

MDZ's job just gets harder from here. Now he will have players gunning for his spot above and below him.

He may pull it together, but what he did at a young age doesn't always add up to bona fide NHL star. He could just as well end up the Robbie Schremp of the Blueline

06-01-2011, 01:14 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
He may pull it together, but what he did at a young age doesn't always add up to bona fide NHL star. He could just as well end up the Robbie Schremp of the Blueline
Not a good comparison at all.

Schremp put up gaudy numbers against kids in the OHL and good numbers against AHL talent. MDZ put up very good numbers for a 19 year old rookie in his first year of professional play IN THE NHL.

Now you're just hating on MDZ for the sake of it.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:53 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Baseless comparison.

Scremp is lazy, a horrifically bad skater, and has the hockey IQ of a wet towel. He has unreal hands, but that's really all that he's got going for him. Del Zotto is solid physically, willing to improve, a good skater, and highly talented. He has everything he needs to be a top puck mover. Now he just needs to work on the mental part of his game.

06-01-2011, 05:28 AM
egelband

I think what happened to Del Zotto was that he saw the first 'adversity' of his life. At least, professionally. I think he deserves some slack. There's every chance he works through it and shows why he was such a high pick. I'm looking forward to next season.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Levitate

He definitely deserves some slack...people saying stuff like "he never belonged in the NHL" are just being silly. He earned his spot in camp in his rookie year and for awhile was making breakout passes with the best of anyone, and doing a decent job on the PP. And yes he finished strong in his rookie year after having a midseason slump. He showed he can be a NHLer.

He had a bad sophmore year, we'll see how he responds. Like I said, I like that he's studying tape.

Old
06-01-2011, 08:53 AM
mullichicken25

he'll be fine

they will protect him this season the same way they protected Gilroy and McCabe at the end of last season

they could have kept him up last year and he wouldnt have been much worse than gilroy but they decided (righfully so) that some time in the A is the best idea for his long term development

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
he'll be fine

they will protect him this season the same way they protected Gilroy and McCabe at the end of last season

they could have kept him up last year and he wouldnt have been much worse than gilroy but they decided (righfully so) that some time in the A is the best idea for his long term development
Protecting him would be to play him with a capable defensive d-man and getting some help on the powerplay to take some pressure off him. I'm not sure if either of those situations are going to happen.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

I think he bounces back and stick this year

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Protecting him would be to play him with a capable defensive d-man and getting some help on the powerplay to take some pressure off him. I'm not sure if either of those situations are going to happen.
Signing a capable 3rd pairing defenseman and signing Richards would do both of those things and neither are out of the realm of possibility...

Old
06-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Signing a capable 3rd pairing defenseman and signing Richards would do both of those things and neither are out of the realm of possibility...
I see it happening when Sather wants his man more times then not he gets his man whether it is detrimental or not

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:48 AM
beastly115

The kid is like 20 years old! Some people are acting like he'll never become an NHL player. He already put up 37 pts in his rookie season and went through a sophomore slump. He was sent down the the AHL to iron out his game. It's going to be at least another year or 2 before they decide to dump him.

That all being said, I think he'll have a bounce back year.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Everyone knew McCabe was a disaster before the trade. If you watched him play after returning from the broken jaw,McCabe looked bad as did the entire Panther team. The Rangers needed a vet D and it didn't cost much so they traded for McCabe.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote