HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Official Catbird Refuge/Sanctuary

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2011, 09:37 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
the level of celebration wasn't what it is with this whole situation, because there was no identifiable, iconic, previously-beloved market regaining a team, and it also didn't get this far ... but make no mistake, there wasn't a lot of support from "traditional markets." In fact, and maybe because it happened so quickly and without any real fight from the NHL -- the hatred\malice toward us was MUCH worse. It seems that many, even in Winnipeg (perhaps because they empathize) truly feel sorry for Atlanta.

With us, it was more like, "Get over it, you never deserved a team to begin with."

Old
05-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
the level of celebration wasn't what it is with this whole situation, because there was no identifiable, iconic, previously-beloved market regaining a team, and it also didn't get this far ... but make no mistake, there wasn't a lot of support from "traditional markets." In fact, and maybe because it happened so quickly and without any real fight from the NHL -- the hatred\malice toward us was MUCH worse. It seems that many, even in Winnipeg (perhaps because they empathize) truly feel sorry for Atlanta.

With us, it was more like, "Get over it, you never deserved a team to begin with."
Then most Canadians saw our playoff crowd this year...

Old
05-31-2011, 10:34 PM
kevinqx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
You are welcome to lurk, or post, on our boards. In fact, when you're looking to come up for a game I'm sure you'll find quite a bit of help with tickets (season ticket holders can, and probably will be happy to, get you individual tickets through their rep at the season ticket prices). Check out some of the deals that we have. I'm sure a lot of those will come back, some will be expanded on, and new deals will come up between now and Christmas.

Good to have you around. Sorry that it has to be on such bad terms.
I'll have to remember to look into that. Saving any kind of money is nice, especially since if I'm going to do this I'm going to be paying a lot more money on gas to make the trip. Got in touch with some of my hockey friends and asked them if they'd convert to Predator fans so we could car pool up there for some games. Shouldn't be too bad if the travel cost can be split.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
Just read where Fox Sports South is going to start shooting more Nashville games into North and Central Alabama, as well as the Atlanta market.
For people living in Atlanta, would that make Predator games not "out of market" for purposes of TV packages like Center Ice?

Old
05-31-2011, 11:19 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqx View Post
I'll have to remember to look into that. Saving any kind of money is nice, especially since if I'm going to do this I'm going to be paying a lot more money on gas to make the trip. Got in touch with some of my hockey friends and asked them if they'd convert to Predator fans so we could car pool up there for some games. Shouldn't be too bad if the travel cost can be split.

For people living in Atlanta, would that make Predator games not "out of market" for purposes of TV packages like Center Ice?
First of all, closer to the season you or some other Atlanta fans who are looking to come to games here should post a thread asking for help. You'll get tons of support for whatever you need short of someone coming to pick you up (and really I wouldn't be shocked if someone offered).

Second, if the games are locally televised I think it would be considered an in-market game on center ice. The last time I had center ice (Comcast, a few years ago) it seems like I was able to watch the game either on the local channel or on the CI channel. Some companies offer both teams' feeds. There is almost always a link to a stream. Really the only games you will miss if Fox Sports South start showing games in Atlanta are the games not televised anywhere. If I'm not mistaken they are planning on showing 65+ games next year, and the number is set to continue rising every season until they show all 82.

Old
05-31-2011, 11:33 PM
kevinqx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
First of all, closer to the season you or some other Atlanta fans who are looking to come to games here should post a thread asking for help. You'll get tons of support for whatever you need short of someone coming to pick you up (and really I wouldn't be shocked if someone offered).

Second, if the games are locally televised I think it would be considered an in-market game on center ice. The last time I had center ice (Comcast, a few years ago) it seems like I was able to watch the game either on the local channel or on the CI channel. Some companies offer both teams' feeds. There is almost always a link to a stream. Really the only games you will miss if Fox Sports South start showing games in Atlanta are the games not televised anywhere. If I'm not mistaken they are planning on showing 65+ games next year, and the number is set to continue rising every season until they show all 82.
Yeah, I have gotten CenterIce every year for a long time now, via Comcast, but their restrictions haven't been consistent. Some years when Thrashers' games weren't televised locally, but were televised in the opponents city, I was able to get the game on CenterIce. However last year it seemed like I couldn't get any Thrashers games on CenterIce whether it was televised locally or not. I assumed that they had changed their policy to blackout the in-market team no matter what.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:10 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I hate what happened to Atlanta. It's not right, the people of Atlanta and even the team just got screwed over by their own owners. I might really dislike the Thrashers as a team (due to my hatred of the Braves), but I would never want them to be moved. What makes it worse is that people would bring out their sob stories about what a tragedy it was that the Jets were ripped away from them and yet there were TV clips of people out there in the streets celebrating the same thing happening to Atlanta.

This whole situation just proves what good owners and good management mean to a team. I'm so thankful that we had a group that CARED and stepped up and bought and kept our team here. And that they had the foresight to see they needed people in the office that know what they are doing when it comes to running a team, and a team that is in the south. The Fritches sit a few rows behind the visitors bench, every game, and they still wear their original Preds jerseys. I saw Tom Cigaran and his son after gm6 of the Anaheim series and they were just as excited as the fans that were still around. It was a genuine excitement, you could really tell how much they care about the team.

I don't blame Atlanta fans for not wanting anything to do with the NHL (or even hockey) for a while, or ever. But if you want a new team or find you just need a hockey fix, we do welcome everyone.

Old
06-01-2011, 08:34 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I just hope the news I heard on the NP.com boards will become as tradition. When the Sr. ticket guy talked about the ATL fans he talked about them coming 350+ at a time. That's awesome for the Preds. This number could go up.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:03 AM
KevFist
is best pony

yeah, Atlanta fans tended to travel en masse. I'll never forget the time we took over an entire section in Raleigh and proceeded to drown out the Canes fans...

Old
06-01-2011, 09:06 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
yeah, Atlanta fans tended to travel en masse. I'll never forget the time we took over an entire section in Raleigh and proceeded to drown out the Canes fans...
Hey come to Preds games and do the same. Save you 300 miles of travel.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

I will be joining the Preds fans here at least part-time for next season to kind of get my feet wet with the team as I also try to follow my team in Winnipeg. If you guys move to the southeast division in 12-13 then I will be all in for sure.

Old
06-01-2011, 10:43 AM
kevinqx

Switching to the southeast division for the 2012 - 2013 season would also make the transition from Thrashers fan to Predators fan more appealing. Plus I think the Predators would smash through the eastern conference.

Then again, I guess people in Nashville would have to endure more 6-6:30 start times for road games if the team switched conferences.

Last edited by kevinqx: 06-01-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old
06-01-2011, 10:55 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqx View Post
Though I don't know how long-time Predators fans feel about it, but if the team does wind up in the southeast division for the 2012-2013 season I think that'd be pretty awesome. I think the Predators would smash through the eastern conference.

Then again, I guess people in Nashville would have to endure more 6-6:30 start times for road games if the team switched conferences.
Personally, I'd be ok with the earlier starts. It's easier to make time to catch a game when it starts at 6 or 6:30pm than it is to change the next day's schedule to accommodate staying up until midnight or beyond. Besides, if you can't make it home from work in time to see the first period then press record. I'd rather have to start a game later than the actual puck drop and be able to fast forward through some commercials than have to watch the third period the next morning/afternoon.

Old
06-01-2011, 11:18 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Trust me...the 6:30 start is AWESOME!!!! I always loved getting home from work, cooking something and then sitting down for a 6:30 thrashers start. Game's over by 9... It's a great way to end a day

Old
06-01-2011, 11:26 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Trust me...the 6:30 start is AWESOME!!!! I always loved getting home from work, cooking something and then sitting down for a 6:30 thrashers start. Game's over by 9... It's a great way to end a day
For me it gives me time to work out in the morning, go to class, get some homework done, watch the game, and still get to bed early enough to wake up and do it again. Of course I have to start a job soon, so that might change. I really can't complain about start times at all, though, especially not to a Thrashers fan after yesterday. I'm just happy to have hockey

Old
06-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Firestorm

Shall we discuss a strategy for fan drafting over on the Atlanta board?

Old
06-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
i would say pick the one with the highest posts per day at this point. Unless anyone has a more specific preference

Old
06-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
We've been awarded the 23rd pick of the draft. I'm thinking BPA, but there are a lot of quality posters on the list that have expressed an interest in joining our board...

We do need to design and decide on a "drafted" avatar for whomever we pick to be worn proudly as the players do with their jerseys on the podium...

Old
06-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
We've been awarded the 23rd pick of the draft. I'm thinking BPA, but there are a lot of quality posters on the list that have expressed an interest in joining our board...

We do need to design and decide on a "drafted" avatar for whomever we pick to be worn proudly as the players do with their jerseys on the podium...
Wait, why are they having a draft to begin with? Obviously, the posters can decide for themselves.

Old
06-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Wait, why are they having a draft to begin with? Obviously, the posters can decide for themselves.
It's for fun. The posters are free to post anywhere on the boards (and all Thrasher fans are encouraged and welcomed to migrate here).

Old
06-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Seth Lake

Due to the addition of two more draft choices...we were just awarded the 35th pick in the draft as well!!!

Two new additions to the board!

Old
06-01-2011, 03:28 PM
darrens18

Thrashers fan here. Have always loved and followed the Preds as you guys were the my Western conference team. I always enjoyed our rivalry and wish we had played more often. Anyways, just wanted to say that I will be following you guys more often now and you will probably be my new team. You guys are proof that hockey can work in the south. Anyways just my two cents

Old
06-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrens18 View Post
Thrashers fan here. Have always loved and followed the Preds as you guys were the my Western conference team. I always enjoyed our rivalry and wish we had played more often. Anyways, just wanted to say that I will be following you guys more often now and you will probably be my new team. You guys are proof that hockey can work in the south. Anyways just my two cents
Somebody wants to get drafted

Old
06-01-2011, 04:41 PM
cws
...in the drink

I lived in Nashville for a year and a half, and right when the "nastiness" was going down. Was exclusively a Thrashers fan, so all the talk about the Preds moving didn't cut me to the bone like it did all of you.
But I remember what it felt like to lose the Flames, and I felt horrible for the fans there having to possibly go through that.

Now I get to go through it yet again. Nobody said life was fair, but this is way too much for any fan.

Still, when I can stomach watching hockey again, I'll make the trip up to NashVegas. I honestly do miss living up there. And even though my favorite watering hole there closed a couple months ago (why does everything I love keep going away, RIP Mulligan's), I'm sure the Flying Saucer and Dan McGuinness are still available. Always liked those two as well.

Old
06-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

Jerred Smithson scoring the OT winning in Game 5 + celebration after?

Old
06-01-2011, 09:22 PM
manifestodestiny

Hey Preds fans, I just want to thank you for the support.

Closed Thread