HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With a team in Winnipeg...Can the expos come back?

Old
05-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
All we need is a billionaire who loves baseball to stand up to those spoiled Yankees and Red Sox, a fan base and a new downtown stadium.
...wow you're not asking for much!

Ted Rogers loved baseball and never stoof up to the Red Sox and Yankees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
That's a joke! 36 years of Expos History, 2 hall of farmers, the Royals, Jackie Robinson. As if,... It's a great baseball market, just needs stable ownership & a ballpark!!!!
Stadium or not, the people didn't support them even when they were winning...the Expos had been on life support for years and years before they got moved.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnage View Post
if Quebec mayor can't have Nordique back...he should try for the Expos
The MLB just loooves peddlers like him...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:32 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Stadium or not, the people didn't support them even when they were winning...the Expos had been on life support for years and years before they got moved.
And now it's the Jays? Man, tonight vs Cleveland, there might be 7-8 thousand at the game, blue seats for miles and miles...no way the Expos will ever make it, the fans in TO don't support MLB, no way Montreal would ever again...love to be wrong, but just look at the Jays...?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Montreal Impact and MLS. baseball is dead. You want to support major league sports, start by supporting your pro soccer club.

Oilersyul89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Montreal as a baseball market, despite its history, is no doubt perceived as equivalent to Atlanta as a hockey market.

I seriously doubt MLB will ever pursue Montreal again.
Sad but true. Unless I win the lottery several times I don't think it's possible, and even then I don't think MLB would even consider placing a team here.

This is why I feel bad for the fans in Atlanta -- they are blamed for not supporting a team that didn't even want to win and made no effort to hide it. The longest playoff drought in professional sports, 1994, the firesales, Loria, Selig...you can't just overcome that without someone investing a ton of money, showing some patience, and taking a chance on what would now be an incredibly risky venture. Montreal has a great baseball history and I believe is the largest market in North America without a team, but because of the way everything was painted in the last few seasons I think it's impossible.

I'd give anything to be wrong. I'm a Habs season ticket holder and never miss a game, but the Expos were basically my life. It was so hard to go from following 162 games per year (including about 20 or so in person despite living in Boston) to knowing I'd never get to do it again.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:55 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersyul89 View Post
Montreal Impact and MLS. baseball is dead. You want to support major league sports, start by supporting your pro soccer club.
Soccer =

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:58 PM
Jigger77

Look at Winnipeg's population, it's a 3rd of Montreal's. Sure it's difficult to compare the two sports but to me this isn't as far fetched an idea as it originally sounds. Stable, committed owners, a new stadium (that's the big ouch no pun intended) and a long-term vision could go a long way with the canadian dollar being at par. If you look at when the spo's were competitive, and specifically the year of the strike people were going. It's a long shot, but within the right context I believe major league baseball could return to this city at some point.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:06 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Only when Selig dies I'll start thinking about the Expos coming back.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Captain Saku

Please no professional baseball in Montreal. I can't stand this sport.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:36 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Then just don't go...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:46 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePalm1967 View Post
Can someone please bring the expos back home? I miss them A LOT!
I'm working on it

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

In this economy, nothing is impossible.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:58 PM
NHLcrazy

Two completely different things...

Winnipeg can ONLY work because of a salary cap world in the NHL.
The way the MLB works is ridiculous:

New York Yankees $201.7M $6,722,968 (avg salary)
Philadelphia $173.0M $5,765,879
Boston $161.4M $5,978,055
San Diego $45.9M $1,479,650
Tampa Bay $41.9M $1,612,776
Kansas City $36.1M $1,338,015

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:29 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Baseball in downtown Montreal would have worked perfectly.

In a well situated open air ballpark, attendences of 20,000 to 30,000 would have been the average imo.
This.

Expos never had a commited owner since 1991. They had a crappy stadium, could not hold on to their players, the 1994 strike, they had almost no TV coverage, they played games in Puerto Rico. It was disgusting.

All they needed was a owner with money and a downtown stadium.

Look at what the CFL Alouettes have become with a downtown stadium and management that care. They went from like 8,000 fans at the Big O in 1996 and 1997 to like 100 straight sellouts since and 3 championships.

And...MLB >> CFL

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:33 PM
SouthernHab

The L.A. Dodgers owner is in some really bad financial problems and is having problems making payroll payments.

It could happen.........

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:34 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Building a downtown stadium of 35,000 seats adjacent to the Bell Centre. I would go to every home game. I miss watching baseball in the summer.

Old
05-31-2011, 11:36 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The L.A. Dodgers owner is in some really bad financial problems and is having problems making payroll payments.

It could happen.........
lol. Los Angeles moving to Montreal? MLB didn't care about the 8th largest market in NA, they will throw away the 2nd? MLB killed the Expos.

Old
05-31-2011, 11:43 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
This.

Expos never had a commited owner since 1991. They had a crappy stadium, could not hold on to their players, the 1994 strike, they had almost no TV coverage, they played games in Puerto Rico. It was disgusting.

All they needed was a owner with money and a downtown stadium.

Look at what the CFL Alouettes have become with a downtown stadium and management that care. They went from like 8,000 fans at the Big O in 1996 and 1997 to like 100 straight sellouts since and 3 championships.

And...MLB >> CFL
good points. i know the winnipeg and montreal situation are not analogous, but it did disgust me - the sense of entitlement that MLB had about baseball being an American pastime. one of the reasons i will never ever cheer for the jays is because they voted for the spos to be contracted. they always wanted to be canada's only team.

truth is, MLB was never serious in keeping expos here and brochu and menard were probably poodles of whatever American carpetbaggers scum selig tossed at montreal. i don't think loria was ever serious, and the labatt park was always a lying pipe dream. what was the swap that took place with john henry after loria stole the expos from montreal?
the sick part of all of this? - ignorant american - and Canadian baseball fans who said 'well no one goes to games in montreal...'
he spos were drawing 2+ million in the 80's as a competitive team...
why is every other ****ing franchise in every sport allowed to get off scot free when their team isn't winning? is anybody at games to watch the pirates or royals? no one was watching the braves before their bobby cox era run. how many fans to jays get? the equivalent of leaf crowds... no one goes to thrasher games, when the avalanche turned **** post-roy/sakic, suddenly the sell-outs evaporated...and this was somehow only endemic to baseball crowds in montreal? ****ing hypocrites the lot of them. montreal has a baseball history unparalleled not only in Canada but in most of the US. Jackie Robinson sound familiar to anyone?

the expos left because of corruption, bad timing (the dollar was very low), no revenue sharing, and a corrupt MLB that really didn't give a **** about it working here. Granted local owners didn't necessarily step up enough - though Stephen bronfman did day that loria basically stole the franchise and was never ever sincere of making it work here and had simply bought off the most greedy, disinterested minority owners. so who to believe?

it was a perfect ****storm for the spos to leave and it all happened.
can spos return? unlikely. hockey has lots of allies and passion in canada - baseball not so much. the pros are that Montreal is a large city, an international city, a great city with a dollar on par with its US cousin. the bad news? where to build a stadium. maybe there are areas downtown or towards old montreal that are still available.
i don't know.
thx for the rant lol

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:44 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
lol. Los Angeles moving to Montreal? MLB didn't care about the 8th largest market in NA, they will throw away the 2nd? MLB killed the Expos.
I know. But it looks good on a message board.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Balcony Rat

You Montrealers are pretty good at putting rallies together.. show you care, make some noise. someone will listen some day. With a new park and dedicated owners and I guarantee Montreal can support an MLB team.

Balcony Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I kinda agree with you.

The sports itself is (IMO) extremely boring to watch. No pace, no particular skills, extremely slow and long. There isn't big difference between watching a professional team or an amateur baseball team at your park.

In the 162 games played in a season, about 15-20 are "entertaining"...

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind to see the Expos back.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:05 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I kinda agree with you.

The sports itself is (IMO) extremely boring to watch. No pace, no particular skills, extremely slow and long. There isn't big difference between watching a professional team or an amateur baseball team at your park.

In the 162 games played in a season, about 15-20 are "entertaining"...

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind to see the Expos back.
To address the skills point:

The skills required to hit a fast and moving round ball with a round bat are vastly under-rated. Athletically, players must also be able to make explosive movements in any direction.

Anyway, as I said earlier, I am working on bringing professional baseball back to Montreal with the goal eventually being an MLB team again.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:06 AM
RC51

WOW some people forget and some were just not old enough.

Expos? NO
Baseball? NO

Mtl did all that, people forget just why the attendance went down to less then 4000. Over the years of the Expos it became clear that the entire Baseball system was tilted to the big 4-6 US teams. No Salary Cap...
Every year the very best stars of the Expos would get an offer 3-4 times what the Expos could offer. The Expos became a farm team for the big 6.
In the last years of the Expos they were promised a BIG change in Baseball, a cap, a level playing field for all teams.
Lies, lies and more US lies. The proof you ask? well it's still NOT done.
Baseball in Canada is a great sport. It's NOT Canada's game but it's a great game. Canadians would support any sport that is played fair.
MLB is NOT fair. It is totally controlled by the BIG 6 and they buy all the best players every year.
As long as Baseball ( MLB) is run this way, I don't want it, I don't even watch it free on my TV, why the heck should I. Why should I watch a game that 6 teams has a 80% chance to win right off the bat, every game, every year.
Add to this the drugs????????? the liers????????????????????
The cover ups?????????????? The entire MLB system is designed to get you to cough up MONEY. Why does MLB stop short of the ultimate game. Just invite all the teams to a BIG auction, watch the NYY out bid everybody and then award them the world series, all this without any game being played at all. A one day event, that's it, then get the heck off my TV.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:04 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
WOW some people forget and some were just not old enough.

Expos? NO
Baseball? NO

Mtl did all that, people forget just why the attendance went down to less then 4000. Over the years of the Expos it became clear that the entire Baseball system was tilted to the big 4-6 US teams. No Salary Cap...
Every year the very best stars of the Expos would get an offer 3-4 times what the Expos could offer. The Expos became a farm team for the big 6.
In the last years of the Expos they were promised a BIG change in Baseball, a cap, a level playing field for all teams.
Lies, lies and more US lies. The proof you ask? well it's still NOT done.
Baseball in Canada is a great sport. It's NOT Canada's game but it's a great game. Canadians would support any sport that is played fair.
MLB is NOT fair. It is totally controlled by the BIG 6 and they buy all the best players every year.
As long as Baseball ( MLB) is run this way, I don't want it, I don't even watch it free on my TV, why the heck should I. Why should I watch a game that 6 teams has a 80% chance to win right off the bat, every game, every year.
Add to this the drugs????????? the liers????????????????????
The cover ups?????????????? The entire MLB system is designed to get you to cough up MONEY. Why does MLB stop short of the ultimate game. Just invite all the teams to a BIG auction, watch the NYY out bid everybody and then award them the world series, all this without any game being played at all. A one day event, that's it, then get the heck off my TV.
The Yankees have won one World Series in the past 11 years.

MLB had a big role in getting rid of the Expos, but the fact is they played in an atrociously bad stadium that not enough people were interested in replacing, had virtually nobody with serious money interested in keeping the team in Montreal and were not drawing even when they were really good. Nevermind the fact Canadians held MLB to a totally different standard, coming back like lemmings in 2005 in a way they didn't in 1994. Let's not forget the political situation either, lots of money and lots of people left Montreal in the 70s and 80s and that contributed to the decline of the Expos.

Unlike the NHL, MLB doesn't need a salary cap to save it from itself and with the most valuable commodity in the game being young players a smart team can develop talent to stay competitive. Look at Tampa, who actually has to compete with the Red Sox and Yankees (unlike the Expos) and has achieved more than the Expos ever did despite also playing in a terrible stadium with terrible attendance.

Now, saying all that, of course it could work. A new stadium like Labatt Field to replace the Big Owe and a deep pockets owner could easily make things work. Tampa, in fact, would be ideal. An All-Canada rivalry with the Blue Jays and plenty of big crowds for the Yankees and Red Sox would put butts in seats even when the team isn't doing well (and Tampa has done amazing things, as native MTLer Jonah Keri will tell you). Selig's going to keel over eventually and MTL remains, by a significant distance, the best market in North America without an MLB team. Lots of people in Montreal now realize what's been missing and a fresh start in a new stadium would put the team in a better situation than it ever was from 1969-2004.

But let's not eat the bones here.

Last edited by HabsByTheBay: 06-01-2011 at 06:14 AM.
HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:17 AM
SlayerSnoopy
INSANELY underrated.

vCash: 50
you can have the Pirates

SlayerSnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote