HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Max Pacioretty RFA, what contract should he get?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2011, 08:52 AM
  #1
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,654
vCash: 500
Max Pacioretty RFA, what contract should he get?

What kind of contract do you guys think he'll sign this summer?

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:56 AM
  #2
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,177
vCash: 300
Kinda hard to gauge his value with the injury. He was very good when he played, but he's still unproven. There are not many contract comparables out there, for him. Maybe Kyle Turris would be a good one.

I think you guys should expect something in ballpark of 3 years, $5MM over those 3 years. $1MM the first year, $1.5MM the 2nd, $2.5MM the 3rd.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:03 AM
  #3
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
What kind of contract do you guys think he'll sign this summer?
I think the Habs will try and get him locked up for 2-3 years...his agent will probably want a 1 year deal around 1.2-1.5.

Agent wants...1 year at 1.5 mil...but will probably settle for 1 year at 1.25-1.3

Habs want 2-3 years at 1.6-1.7 but will probably settle for 1 year 1.25-1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Kinda hard to gauge his value with the injury. He was very good when he played, but he's still unproven. There are not many contract comparables out there, for him. Maybe Kyle Turris would be a good one.

I think you guys should expect something in ballpark of 3 years, $5MM over those 3 years. $1MM the first year, $1.5MM the 2nd, $2.5MM the 3rd.
I think his agent will try for a 1 year deal...because if he can duplicate this year he'll be in a 2.5-3.5 mil range like AK signed 3 years ago.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:07 AM
  #4
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,177
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think his agent will try for a 1 year deal...because if he can duplicate this year he'll be in a 2.5-3.5 mil range like AK signed 3 years ago.
I could see that being the case. If he puts up a 30-30 season he could cash in big time. I don't know if Gauthier would budge on that, though.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:09 AM
  #5
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I could see that being the case. If he puts up a 30-30 season he could cash in big time. I don't know if Gauthier would budge on that, though.
I'm sure Gauthier would love to get him signed for 3 years at 1.7-1.8 cap hit.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:48 AM
  #6
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
leaning towards 6 mil for 3 years...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:52 AM
  #7
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think the Habs will try and get him locked up for 2-3 years...his agent will probably want a 1 year deal around 1.2-1.5.

Agent wants...1 year at 1.5 mil...but will probably settle for 1 year at 1.25-1.3

Habs want 2-3 years at 1.6-1.7 but will probably settle for 1 year 1.25-1.3
Depends on the player. It's not the agent who makes the decision, but the player and some players lean towards longer term contracts even in RFA period to not bother about $ vs performance, knowing that they'll get even more in the end.

It also depends if the player tends to listen to BOTH his agent and GM.

If every player acted this way, there would never be any RFAs signing 3 year contracts at low salaries. But somehow it happens as often as 1 year deals.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:08 AM
  #8
costathing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: STL
Country: Canada
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
5.7m For 3 years 1.5M- 2M- 2.2M I just call Pg he just told me

costathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:13 AM
  #9
Gary320
Moderator
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,766
vCash: 500
I doubt it's more than one year. That's all I can guess.

Maybe 1 year 1 mill.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:28 AM
  #10
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,138
vCash: 500
Love patches, but he hasn't done anything yet. 2 million already? Geez.

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:29 AM
  #11
Patty Roy
Registered User
 
Patty Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I doubt it's more than one year. That's all I can guess.

Maybe 1 year 1 mill.
I think this is most likely.

Give him 1 year at around a million. If he builds on last year then sign him to a multi-year deal in the Okposo range.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:30 AM
  #12
Andros777
Registered User
 
Andros777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
Two years, 3.8 million.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:50 AM
  #13
Gary320
Moderator
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I think this is most likely.

Give him 1 year at around a million. If he builds on last year then sign him to a multi-year deal in the Okposo range.
I think it's the two parties who feel this way. Why should he be given anything more than 1 year at 1 mill, he hasn't proven it.. and on the Pacioretty side, why should he sign more than one year at 1.25.. if he has a great year.. more money next year.

Also, I think ALOT of people here are getting carried away with how much he truly deserves.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:21 AM
  #14
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,210
vCash: 500
I would think an NHL contract...

I'd say something around 3mil/2years

1,3 next year and 1,7 in 2012

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:31 AM
  #15
billy piton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
one way, 2 years 2.2 m

0.950 in 2011./2012.
1.250 in 2012./2013.

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:38 AM
  #16
Vanek20
Drive for 25
 
Vanek20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,211
vCash: 500
If Pouliot got 1,35M last year, i dont see why Pac wouldnt get something around that. Like mtl-rules mentionned, 2 years 3M (1,3 1,7) would make lots of sense.

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:41 AM
  #17
billy piton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
If Pouliot got 1,35M last year, i dont see why Pac wouldnt get something around that. Like mtl-rules mentionned, 2 years 3M (1,3 1,7) would make lots of sense.
benny, unlike maxpac, had arbitration rights last year...

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:43 AM
  #18
Mad Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,673
vCash: 500
I don't see a big contract yet for Patches. Up until now, he's had a 2 way contract. We can all agree that the 2 way contract is behind him now, and he's getting a 1 way. I think a little over 1 mil is about what he gets for 1 or 2 years. He is a 14 goal scorer at this point. It may have been for half a year, but it's still 14 goals. Gilbert Dionne came in and scored 21 in half a year. He never supassed that again. Patches is going to have to earn the big cheque before he gets it.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:44 AM
  #19
DogsFan*
GHG
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
Nothing over 3 years so we can still retain him as RFA at the end.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:59 AM
  #20
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
I say he signs a one year deal in the range of $1-1.5m. I'd like to have him for 2-3 years at $1.5m.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:11 PM
  #21
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan
 
Marc Bergevins Suit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,778
vCash: 246
One Way, 2 years, 1.2/yr cap hit

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:20 PM
  #22
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,375
vCash: 500
The Pouliot deal is indeed a pretty good benchmark. I don't think either side has any real incentive to try for a longer term deal at this point.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:43 PM
  #23
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
The Pouliot deal is indeed a pretty good benchmark. I don't think either side has any real incentive to try for a longer term deal at this point.
The incentive for the Habs is that if they think he can put up 50-55 points next year it will cost them closer to 3 mil per year if not more next summer...their incentive to going 2-3 years is to have a lower cap hit for a player producing at a higher level. If you always sign young players to short term deals, as soon as they start playing up to potential you have to give them big bucks rather than having them relatively cheap for 1-2 years.

This summer if I was Gauthier I'd try to go 3 years with Pacioretty at 1.5-1.8/year.

I'd try and extend PK for 3-4 years at 3.5-4.

I'd try and extend Price for 3-4 years at 4.5-5.

All 3 could be huge bargains at that rate if they stay on the same path as last year.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:56 PM
  #24
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,270
vCash: 500
4.5mil over 3yrs? around 1.5, 1.6?
Was on pace for 50 pts, but in reality he played 37 games netting 14g/24pts in his second season. This should be the contract before a very long term one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'd try and extend Price for 3-4 years at 4.5-5.
I've suggested extensions for these guys before their time is up FOR MONTHS NOW. Glad I'm not the only one thinking of being pro-active. Truth is though: Price would be insane to sign for 4.8 or so. He'll be getting 5-6mil if he puts up the same performance as last season (very likely). A definite 6mil if he has a really good post-season.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:26 PM
  #25
Patty Roy
Registered User
 
Patty Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I think it's the two parties who feel this way. Why should he be given anything more than 1 year at 1 mill, he hasn't proven it.. and on the Pacioretty side, why should he sign more than one year at 1.25.. if he has a great year.. more money next year.

Also, I think ALOT of people here are getting carried away with how much he truly deserves.
Agreed on both counts. Honestly i think the Habs will be happy to sign him to an Okposo type deal if he goes on to get 50-55 points for us next season.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.