HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville Predators: Franchise Analysis

Old
06-01-2011, 11:21 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Unfortunately, most of those Devils teams were known for playoff flame-outs.

And when they did win the cup in 99-00, they had a 35 goal scorer in Elias.

We don't need to turn into the Penguins, but we've got to get someone or develop someone who can score.
What constitutes a play off flame out? Losing in the first round? Every year eight teams do that. The Devils, in their past 19 play off appearances, have ten first round exits. In that sense I guess yes, most have been flame outs.

In the same period of time, however, they have had nine second round appearances, six conference finals appearances, and four Stanley Cup finals appearances winning three of them.

I'd take that. We have half of our first round flame outs. Now let's get moving on the rest

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:54 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
Does Nashville need a 4th line enforcer/grinder? Cause I know one that deosn't want to move to Winnipeg....
actually, yeah. Looking at the projections if Nashville makes a trade they could use a guy to fill the 'Wade Belak' role. So Boulton is not into the whole moving out of the south thing huh?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:26 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Yep...Boulton has no interest in moving to Winnipeg. He's laid down roots in the south and really enjoys it here. Boults is probably one of the better 4th liners in the league. He's great in the community too. He, Thorburn, Slater and Ilya were all very active in the community. Boults actually took one day every week to visit hospitals...Not just Chrildrens Hospitals, but regular ones too.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:33 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
Yep...Boulton has no interest in moving to Winnipeg. He's laid down roots in the south and really enjoys it here. Boults is probably one of the better 4th liners in the league. He's great in the community too. He, Thorburn, Slater and Ilya were all very active in the community. Boults actually took one day every week to visit hospitals...Not just Chrildrens Hospitals, but regular ones too.
What you just described is the 'Wade Belak' position. A guy who can be great for the Preds and community, would not mind sitting in the box for a while and make about 700K. Seriously, get Poile on the phone.

Oh, and TN is income tax free.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:42 PM
kevinqx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
A definite difference from the Atlanta-Chicago relationship you are familiar with. As a matter of fact, the Wolves are the archrivals of the Admirals too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
We just don't lack offensive ability, we're probably one of the worst in the league at it. We can make the playoffs with defense and goaltending, but if we ever want to be a serious threat to win a cup (not just a scrappy, underdog team), we need to do something to bolster the offense.
Kind of ironic that the team closest to the Thrashers geographically is a team that is a polar opposite in nearly every way as an organization and hockey team. As you say, the Atlanta-Chicago relationship wasn't on par with what you guys are used to. In fact, it had to be one of the worst affiliate relationships in the league. Likewise the Thrashers have consistently been dead last, or next to last, in just about every defensive/goaltending statistic every year of their existence. However, the offense generally wasn't terrible in Atlanta, and there even a few years where the offense was quite good, thanks largely to Kovalchuk, Heatley, Hossa, and Savard.

I'm excited to experience a team that has solid, spectacular even, defense and goaltending combination. Really, any team that doesn't play hot potato with the puck in their own zone, or just has some semblance of a system in any respect would be a vast improvement over what we Thrasher fans have had to watch for the past 12 years.

kevinqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:06 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
What constitutes a play off flame out? Losing in the first round? Every year eight teams do that. The Devils, in their past 19 play off appearances, have ten first round exits. In that sense I guess yes, most have been flame outs.

In the same period of time, however, they have had nine second round appearances, six conference finals appearances, and four Stanley Cup finals appearances winning three of them.

I'd take that. We have half of our first round flame outs. Now let's get moving on the rest
I would take that too. But we're not even there yet. Now, maybe if we had a guy who could score....

As for the Devils, between winning the cup in '94-'95 and 2000, they were the #1 seed 3 times, and twice lost in the first round, and once lost in the second. I remember when they went down to the Sens in the first round, it was a huge upset.

Nonetheless, I think it's a valid comparison. The teams are built roughly the same. When NJ found a guy to pot 35 goals, they won the cup in 2000. If we can get someone who can do that, there's no telling what we can do.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Top 6 Spaling

With the expected influx of Thrashers faithful coming to these boards, I figured it would be helpful if they could see all the important information about our franchise in one condensed location. So, here goes. Feel free to add anything I forget.

IMPORTANT PEOPLE

David Poile- GM extraordinaire and demi-god. He is the architect that has shaped our franchise since its start

Barry Trotz- The peanut butter to Poile's jelly. Our first and only coach. He is a defensive mastermind, but leaves a little to be desired offensively. Expert at getting the most out of a questionable roster. Also the most optimistic injury doctor ever to live.

David Freeman- The first chairman of the local ownership group. He played a large part in saving this team from He Who Shall Not Be Named (but will be named a little later)

Tom Cigarran- Current chairman of the local ownership group. He hasn't had time to do much yet, but he's said all the right things. Only time will tell.

Jim Basille- He Who Shall Not Be Named. The Canadian who tried to steal our team from us. No me gusta.

Brent Peterson- Assitant coach for the preds up until this season. likely would be a head coach if not for his parkinson's. He is loved by fans and players alike.

Mitch Korn- Preds Goalie Coach. Arguably the greatest goalie mind ever to live. I have had the distinct pleaseure of working with Mitch personally (I play goalie), and he is a great coach, a great teacher, and a great man.

ORGANIZATIONAL NEEDS

Scorers, young scoring threats, people with good shots, offensive minded players, snipers, and scorers.

ORGANIZATIONAL SURPLUS

We have more offensive D prospects than Toronto has losses . Franson, Blum, Josi, Ellis, etc. One or more may be traded over the offseason for our needs (see above).

PROSPECT PROFILES

I'll let those more knowledgeable go more in depth, but in general, we have lots of D and not enough offensive forwards.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/nashville_predators

THE RADULOV SITUATION

Alexander Radulov, the greatest scoring threat this team has ever drafted, broke his contract to join the KHL. Every year there are rumors of his return to finish the final year of his ELC, but we all will believe it when we see it.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. And welcome aboard the train ride.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 06-04-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 04:28 PM
kevinqx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
THE RADULOV SITUATION

Alexander Radulov, the greatest scoring threat this team has ever drafted, broke his contract to join the KHL. Every year there are rumors of his return to finish the final year of his ELC, but we all will believe it when we see it.
Sounds similar to the situation Atlanta had with Russian defenseman Ilya Nikulin.

kevinqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 04:29 PM
glenngineer

GoPreds9, isn't it Tom Cigarran?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
GoPreds9, isn't it Tom Cigarran?
good catch. I don't know where i got Chris...

Old
06-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
good catch. I don't know where i got Chris...
I do. Probs because your more handsome, dashing brother is named Chris

How did you get that avatar btw? I want to get one like it.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
I do. Probs because your more handsome, dashing brother is named Chris

How did you get that avatar btw? I want to get one like it.
gobears19 (i believe?) made it.

Old
06-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

my dream is that boulton, slater, enstrom, and little all end up in nashville somehow

so basically ya'll are the thrashers. a great supporting cast but no game breaker to win the close games for you?

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 12:14 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
my dream is that boulton, slater, enstrom, and little all end up in nashville somehow

so basically ya'll are the thrashers. a great supporting cast but no game breaker to win the close games for you?
no. Our "game breaker" is Rinne, who wins the close games for us. We score by committee, and usually have at least one or two guys scoring at a decent clip at any given time. We get in trouble when everyone hits their dry spell at once... we once had a three game stretch where we scored a total of two goals, both by Jerred Smithson... and yet our record in those three games was 1-1-1.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 12:22 AM
glenngineer

Quote:

I wouldn't mind adding Enstrom and Little. Enstrom would help our PP and add a great PMD and Little would give us some more production up front all the while being a good two way forward.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
no. Our "game breaker" is Rinne, who wins the close games for us. We score by committee, and usually have at least one or two guys scoring at a decent clip at any given time. We get in trouble when everyone hits their dry spell at once... we once had a three game stretch where we scored a total of two goals, both by Jerred Smithson... and yet our record in those three games was 1-1-1.
again, ya'll are the thrashers. last year we scored between 2-4 goals every game, scoring by committee, and it was up to pavelec from there. if he played well they won. if not they lost. it was up to him to win or lose us games. one of ladd, little, kane, or peverley scored seemingly every game and then the rest of the team had to find a way to contribute a goal or two.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:57 AM
thomas magnum

Quote:

I wish they could find a way to pry Kane away from the Thrashers/Winnipeg Team Stealers.

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:58 AM
thomas magnum

Awesome franchise personnel break down gopreds9! Thanks for the info.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Legionnaire11

I'd definitely love Kane and Little on the Preds. Don't see either happening though, at some point you just concede that the only way the Preds will have a dynamic scorer on the roster is through the draft (Radulov, Hornqvist, Wilson maybe).

Also, I expect any scoring forwards to price themselves out of Nashville once they become UFA. The team will pony up the cash to keep defensemen (Weber, Suter) and maybe a goalie (Rinne, depends on if they learned a lesson from letting Vokoun go). But they believe the forwards are easier to replenish.

And there is some truth to that, some of the Preds best offensive contributions have been from newcomers, seemingly before they get fully invested in the system which we have an endless argument going on how the defense first approach hampers offensive production.

Anyhow, welcome to Smashville CWS and Thomas Magnum! Hopefully more of your Thrashers refugees will walk on their new contracts and end up here with us!

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:07 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Actually. I would like Boulton to fill the Belak position.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:29 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
again, ya'll are the thrashers. last year we scored between 2-4 goals every game, scoring by committee, and it was up to pavelec from there. if he played well they won. if not they lost. it was up to him to win or lose us games. one of ladd, little, kane, or peverley scored seemingly every game and then the rest of the team had to find a way to contribute a goal or two.
actually we are kinda the opposite.. rinne is usually a rock every game, then its up to the scorers... if our offense can score 2 we will usually win or at least get points.. if the offense cant muster 2 then its a crapshoot.

I think if we could guarantee that we would score 2 goals every game I think we'd win the Cup, or at least the Presidents Trophy.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:33 AM
thomas magnum

Boults could be a good addition to the team but I don't know that I would call him the best 4 liner in the league. He is however a smart enforcer who rarely takes penalties at inappropriate times. If that is needed then he is a good man for the job. He isn't the fastest and doesn't have the best hands but he will stick up for his team and play hard in the corners.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:39 AM
thomas magnum

So who do you guys have your eyes on around the league as far as trades in the off season go? I see that Flyers are gonna be in cap-trouble with Bryz if they can sign him but who do they move? Maybe not re-sign Leino? Obviously Zherdev is gone but who would want him? Hartnell again? Carter would require giving up a lot. The Flyers wouldn't be able to take much back in terms of salary. I know the minors are stocked with D prospects but I'm sure the deal would have to be sweetened dramatically to pull off a trade for Carter.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas magnum View Post
So who do you guys have your eyes on around the league as far as trades in the off season go? I see that Flyers are gonna be in cap-trouble with Bryz if they can sign him but who do they move? Maybe not re-sign Leino? Obviously Zherdev is gone but who would want him? Hartnell again? Carter would require giving up a lot. The Flyers wouldn't be able to take much back in terms of salary. I know the minors are stocked with D prospects but I'm sure the deal would have to be sweetened dramatically to pull off a trade for Carter.
Here is the ultimate condundrum for Nashville fans. We desperately need a scorer, but every scorer we get can't play defense and is immidietly traded, scratched, or put on the fourth line. I figure we are better off getting 2 way players that can score a la Mike Fisher so we get some offense and Trotz won't hate them.

I would guess one of Franson, Ellis, and Ekholm will not be a Pred come opening night, most likely Franson.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas magnum View Post
Every summer we come up with different trade scenarios, or the perfect free agent signing... in the end Poile usually signs a third tier free agent and goes with minimal roster change.

Expect to hear some chatter about the Preds making a splash on July 1, and then it ends up being a re-signing of our own FA's or a euro prospect who ends up in Milwaukee. Then towards the end of the month when all of the intial free agent frenzy has settled down he will add a solid player to the roster.

It usually works though, so it becomes more and more bearable each season.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote