HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Question re Tier 1

Old
05-28-2011, 04:00 AM
Alpine

vCash: 500
Question re Tier 1

There's a few US based teams in Canadian Jr A.
Buffalo, Sault Ste-Marie Mich some in Wisconsin.
Does USA Hockey consider these Tier 1 teams or do they fall under Hockey Canada jurisdiction

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 05:37 PM
nosl

Sault Sainte Marie (USA)

I know for the Soo Eagles club (based in Sault, Michigan), any canadians they recruit as classified as import players.

As for being under Hockey USA's jurisdiction, I have no idea.

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 07:25 AM
billycanuck

Since the teams play in a Hockey Canada sanctioned league, I believe they are classified as such and have no relation to the USA junior tier system.

The teams follow the league rules set out by Hockey Canada, but the players have to adhere to some USA Hockey rules; such as if you are under 18 years of age you have to wear a full cage, not a half shield (just like IIHF rules).

billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
There's a few US based teams in Canadian Jr A.
Buffalo, Sault Ste-Marie Mich some in Wisconsin.
Does USA Hockey consider these Tier 1 teams or do they fall under Hockey Canada jurisdiction
The answer is, or was, both. Both federations have a transfer form that needs to be completed by a player and to complete a US to Canada transfer the player must be CURRENT in his USAH registration.

Any US based organization that is going to have a "dual presence", i.e. the Youth teams play in a USA Hockey League while the Junior team does not, is still going to be fully under the auspice of USAH. All players will be registered with USAH and while playing in the USA be under the general rules of USAH. The playing rules, with the exception of player safety, e.g. facemasks and mouthguards, will be Hockey Canada.

I've been out of this aspect of the business for a couple of years now but this is how it was when I was in it.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote