HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Revisiting the Malakhov trade-3/8/04

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2005, 10:56 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Revisiting the Malakhov trade-3/8/04

The Rangers traded Vladimir Malakhov to the Flyers for Rick Kozak-3rd round pick(2003)-and a second round pick in 2005 which ended up being #41

The Flyers wanted to trade up in the 2005 draft to select Bobby Ryan or Marc Staal

Quote:
The Flyers tried to get Anaheim's second pick so they could select Cherry Hill winger Bobby Ryan. Then they tried to get Sudbury defenseman Marc Staal, younger brother of Eric Staal, a center for the Carolina Hurricanes
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/12268121.htm

The Rangers moved up from #16 to #12 in the trade with Atlanta to select Staal by using the Flyers second round #41 to select the player coveted by Booby Clarke.Talk about a coincidence

The Rangers signed Kozak to a three year entry level deal and he will join Hartford in the fall

The Flyers attempted to re-sign Malakhov before and after the lockout.Malakhov could have returned to the Flyers but he opted to return to the Devils

Has to rank as one of Glen Sather's better deals as Rangers GM

Last edited by RangerBoy: 08-21-2005 at 05:33 AM.
Old
08-20-2005, 11:03 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I still think the Leetch deal was the best of the deadline deals - Leetch for Immonen, Kondratiev, a 2004 #1 (Korpikoski) and a 2005 2nd (Sauer).

The Kovalev deal wasn't bad either - Kovalev for Balej and a 2nd (Graham).

Old
08-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Onion Boy

From our perspective I'd call the Malakhov deal a steal, but he did play quite well for the Flyers in the playoffs. I think it was a good deal for both sides.

Old
08-20-2005, 11:42 AM
eco's bones

Not bad at all.

Old
08-20-2005, 12:12 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I still think the Leetch deal was the best of the deadline deals - Leetch for Immonen, Kondratiev, a 2004 #1 (Korpikoski) and a 2005 2nd (Sauer).

The Kovalev deal wasn't bad either - Kovalev for Balej and a 2nd (Graham).

The Leetch deal was the just plain robbery.

Old
08-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Fletch

It was likely a good trade...

even though it was a no-brainer. I wonder if there were other offers out there...

Old
08-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
The Leetch deal was the just plain robbery.

It's only robbery if the players they got panout. Until one of them makes the Rangers and becomes good, you can't say that.

What you can conclude is that in retrospect when a lot of Leetch supporters were furious over the trade of #2, it looks like a good deal.

Old
08-20-2005, 01:14 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I wonder if there were other offers out there...
Good question. Frankly I was surprised at the return for Malakhov. Considering his body of work with the Rangers, I think most of us would have been perfectly happy with a 3rd rounder. Getting a 2nd rounder and second-tier prospect was startling. IMO, in terms of pure value-for-value, it was Sather's best trade of the deadline.

Old
08-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Fletch

Oh Absolutely..

but I think GMs out there understand Malakhov's potential and that there are stretches (i.e., playoffs) in which his potential comes out (many thought he played well with the Devils in the playoffs, prior to coming to the Rangers, as well as a stretch of nearly a 1/2 season in which he was aggressive and healthy). But agreed...to get a second rounder seemed like a lot...to get a player with some sort of potential and a second rounder was a home run...

Old
08-20-2005, 02:34 PM
shoothepuck

A home run against Bobby Clark no less, sorta makes it like a Grand-Slam

Old
08-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Too bad we had to watch Maladog stink up the ice for most of his time here--when he wasn't injured, of course.

It may have been a "good" trade (jury's out until one of the prospects actually makes the Rangers), but it was a LOUSY signing. The first of many.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:41 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
It may have been a "good" trade (jury's out until one of the prospects actually makes the Rangers)
I don't necessarily agree with that since they were losing Malakhov and had no use for him in the direction the team was going. Getting anything back for him I think would be considered a good trade. The only question you could ask is whether there was a better trade out there (doubtful) and that's something I doubt we'd ever know.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
I don't necessarily agree with that since they were losing Malakhov and had no use for him in the direction the team was going. Getting anything back for him I think would be considered a good trade. The only question you could ask is whether there was a better trade out there (doubtful) and that's something I doubt we'd ever know.
Potential is just that until it's realized. . I would have perferred to NEVER have him on the Rangers in the first place. It's going to be several years at best, before we get any benefit from that slug taking $17 million of Ranger money over the last 4 years to wander around the ice (when he wasn't injured). It will take that long to get the bad taste of watching Maladog out of my system.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:50 PM
eco's bones

Well Lou must like him. He's giving him 3.6 mill. According to TSN. The Devils are at 35 mill and still have to sign Elias, Friesen, White, Martin and Ahonen---and this is also without Stevens. Something going on there?

Old
08-20-2005, 07:56 PM
eco's bones

To go a little further I was looking over at the Devil's board and they're talking about dumping White and Friesen among others. I have to say for the amout they gave Malakhov-- that is a questionable signing--as is McGillis and Mogilny. Madden's salary also seems to me to be quite a bit out of line.

Old
08-21-2005, 01:20 AM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Potential is just that until it's realized.
Yeah but potential is better then nothing which is what they would of had if he did not make the trade. In other words...any trade they could have made for Malakhov is a successful one. The only way you could deem it a failure would be if we had knowledge of another possible trade that Sather turned down in which the players/picks were better. Like I said before, we won't ever know.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to wax poetic about Sather's trading abilities or excusing him for his other moves (such behavior is forbidden on these boards anyways ) as I believe any GM would/could have made similar deals.

Old
08-21-2005, 08:23 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Poor planning, or Lou really wasn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
Well Lou must like him. He's giving him 3.6 mill. According to TSN. The Devils are at 35 mill and still have to sign Elias, Friesen, White, Martin and Ahonen---and this is also without Stevens. Something going on there?
paying attention at those CBA meetings he was attending. The danger when teams go over is that any trading partner has you over a barrel. The return can be bad, plus you may end having to pay something, a pick for your trading partner to him. Give you an example, say they elect to trade Friesen. I could see him & a 2nd to somebody for luke warm body and a 3rd. Look at what LA got from Philly.

Old
08-21-2005, 10:27 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
paying attention at those CBA meetings he was attending. The danger when teams go over is that any trading partner has you over a barrel. The return can be bad, plus you may end having to pay something, a pick for your trading partner to him. Give you an example, say they elect to trade Friesen. I could see him & a 2nd to somebody for luke warm body and a 3rd. Look at what LA got from Philly.
Well Atlanta they have to be careful about any contracts they take back in a deal or there's no point in making it. I actually don't know why the Kings were in such a rush to take a concussion prone Roenick off of Clarke's hands. One Philly poster suggested their future considerations would probably be a mid round pick. Considering there was a 3rd going along with Roenick to LA it makes you wonder.
For NJ there is also the intangibles of Elias having hepatitis and maybe not ready to play until December. But they seem to be in a bind.

Old
08-21-2005, 10:30 AM
DarthSather99

I think if you look at all of those trade deadline trades, they all were great. Martin Ruczinsky for 2 2nd rounders? ...then he's playing here again. Maybe he could essentially be worth 4 second rounders ...he he he.

As bad as Sather has been GMing ...I have always thought his strength was trading.

Old
08-21-2005, 12:04 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
I think if you look at all of those trade deadline trades, they all were great. Martin Ruczinsky for 2 2nd rounders? ...then he's playing here again. Maybe he could essentially be worth 4 second rounders ...he he he.

As bad as Sather has been GMing ...I have always thought his strength was trading.
that's pretty funny...getting 4 second rounders for Rucinsky. i'm hoping we sign a couple more guys to 1 year deals with the intention of making them playoff rentals for other teams. i'd love to stock up again big time for next years draft.

Old
08-21-2005, 02:10 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
that's pretty funny...getting 4 second rounders for Rucinsky. i'm hoping we sign a couple more guys to 1 year deals with the intention of making them playoff rentals for other teams. i'd love to stock up again big time for next years draft.

go to the flyers board under kim jonnsons thread and read westcoasters reply to the ruchinsky trade! good read and funny at that!

Old
08-22-2005, 01:35 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Sather really did good trades . Balej was top5 in AHL scoring when he was traded and a 2nd rounder is not bad either . I also liked the trade for Kevin Weeks .

Old
08-22-2005, 03:16 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Kevin Weekes was a UFA signing...

Old
08-22-2005, 03:21 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Sorry , was thinking of Patrick Lalime ( stl got him for a 4th pick ) .

Closed Thread