HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Now that Boston has advanced to the final...

Old
06-01-2011, 12:53 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
In my opinion The Bruins advanced because the East was incredibly weak this year.
While that's one reason, Boston was also nowhere near to being the best club in the East. But sometimes the weaker club wins the series.

Quote:
They didn't even need to use their grit to beat the Habs.
They were actually outplayed by the Habs in games 1-5, before the injuries caught up to Montreal. They just got the one extra bounce too often, and especially, the fewest injuries. Montreal actually outscored them on aggregate.

Quote:
And Tampa was a cinderalla team that should not have been there.
Tampa Bay absolutely torched Boston over the course of the series. If it weren't for goaltending that series would have been over quickly -- and by goaltending I mean Roloson blowing it more than Thomas stealing it.

They were clearly one of the better clubs in the East (though not better than Washington) and clearly much superior to Boston.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I agree with you. I enjoy watching puck possession teams play the game of hockey. The San Jose/Detroit series was a thing of beauty. Aggressive (but not goonish out of control hockey like the Bruins fans enjoy) hockey on both offense and defense reminds me of the good old days of Canadiens hockey.

And I wish that the Bruins would have resorted to gooning it up against the Habs. They did that in the first two games and we beat them. Once they quit trying to injure Subban and a couple of other players and decided to play hockey, the Bruins did well.
Well in my opinion the only thing the Bruins have over us is grit. The time they chose to not use that card, we beat them. That's why when they won 8-6 in Boston, they gooned it up, it was like they were sending a message. And they succeeded. If anything the first two games in the playoffs, what made them fail was that they were nervous to take penalties and were not confident in how they were playing. I still think Julien is wrong for this group, they have the instinct to go all out, they are the kind of team that should impose the rythym of the game with a strong forecheck wich would work with the intimidation factor but he is defensive mind coach always playing his safe system with fear of making mistakes and he is forcing these guys to be that way, going against nature. Without Thomas they would be dead right now.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:23 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Well in my opinion the only thing the Bruins have over us is grit. The time they chose to not use that card, we beat them. That's why when they won 8-6 in Boston, they gooned it up, it was like they were sending a message. And they succeeded. If anything the first two games in the playoffs, what made them fail was that they were nervous to take penalties and were not confident in how they were playing. I still think Julien is wrong for this group, they have the instinct to go all out, they are the kind of team that should impose the rythym of the game with a strong forecheck wich would work with the intimidation factor but he is defensive mind coach always playing his safe system with fear of making mistakes and he is forcing these guys to be that way, going against nature. Without Thomas they would be dead right now.
They are a FAR superior team 5 on 5 than us. It's not even close.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:25 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
They are a FAR superior team 5 on 5 than us. It's not even close.
Untrue. Montreal was much better at controlling the play 5-on-5.

Boston looked better because Thomas had a career season and Boston had a very high conversion rate... after having a very low conversion rate. OTOH Montreal was much better at actually owning the puck and generating scoring chances -- skills that are much more important and much more repeatable.

Old
06-01-2011, 01:32 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Untrue. Montreal was much better at controlling the play 5-on-5.

Boston looked better because Thomas had a career season and Boston had a very high conversion rate... after having a very low conversion rate. OTOH Montreal was much better at actually owning the puck and generating scoring chances -- skills that are much more important and much more repeatable.
If Gomez hadn't been so bad Montreal would of routed the Bruins.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:39 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
If Gomez hadn't been so bad Montreal would of routed the Bruins.
I don't think he was atrocious, but his matchup with Bergeron was indeed one of the keys to the series. Bergeron is by far the Bruins' best forward; Gomez lost that matchup, more than I would've liked.

I don't think a "rout" was in the cards with the way Thomas was playing, but the Habs played well enough that they could easily have won in 5 close games.

Montreal thoroughly outchanced Boston with the score was tied, making it extra galling that the Bruins went 3-0 in overtime.

But such is the way: live by the sword last year, die by the sword this year...

Old
06-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
As someone already brought up, you can't really discuss having the injured players back without looking at the salaries involved.
Savard surely would have helped them on the PP, but does this mean Seguin doesn't play the year on their roster? Or does that mean not getting Kelly and Peverley, that have combined for 19pts and formed a very important trio with Ryder versus us?
Also, let us not forget that although Savard is still talked about as if he's one of the best playmakers in the NHL, his play seemed to have been incredibly affected from his injuries. He had 10pts this year in 25GP, last year in the POs he had 3pts in 7GP and 33pts in 41GP during the season. So, just how big of a threat he would have been I'm not so sure about.

In any event, if you speak of healthy rosters and bring Savard back in, then that means Gorges and Markov are here (as well as DD and MaxPac) instead of Wiz-Sopel.
So, I think not only does our offense get better because of our injured forwards would be present, but Markov also makes our offense better as well as our defense, and Gorges is also a plus on defense.
There isn't much to debate here really, if both teams had healthy rosters, I don't see how Boston beats us.
And if Markov doesn't go down we probably don't get Wiz... It's all how you spin it.

You can speculate till the cows come home but the bottom line is that both clubs were missing key players not just us. That's why us bringing up Markov (who's barely played for us in the past two years) is silly. People use it as a built in excuse now. "Oh we would've won but..."

I get that injuries happen and can be devastating (they crushed Pittsburgh's chances at a cup this year) but when you've got a guy who has barely played for two consecutive seasons, you have to accept that he's one of those guys who's now become a 'best case' type player who you hope MAY come back someday but we shouldn't count on it. Boston was in a similar situation with Savard so it's especially silly for us to be whining about missing Markov while Boston's over there missing their best forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
That is a point with Savard, Boston can't make any trades unless they could of dumped one of their more expensive wingers like Ryder to make cap space. Then add that at any moment one hit to Savard could bring back his concussion symptoms and Boston could of had a worse team going into the playoffs.

If Montreal hadn't lost so many top players to injury who's to say they don't go after some players at trade deadline. PG basically traded just to fill the injuries to the defense.
And if Sidney Crosby weren't hurt then he might've scored 180 points and won the cup... Again, it is what it is. We went into Boston and played a hard series against them. Both clubs had key injuries and we lost. No need to get into excuse making mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
You'll find Habs fans who will sign up to any side of a debate about our players. But I don't see Wisniewski as remotely comparable to Markov. And since Markov was basically earning well below his market value for us before, just taking him back at the same salary would still be like a hometown discount.
I'd choose Wiz over Markov at this stage in a heartbeat. He's in his mid 20s, healthy and on the upswing. He'll probably never be as good as Markov was in his prime but there's some upside there and he's nowhere near the risk Markov is.

I hope Markov comes back and plays like he always did but I think taking Markov over Wiz for the future is using your heart instead of your head.
Quote:
In my opinion The Bruins advanced because the East was incredibly weak this year. They didn't even need to use their grit to beat the Habs. They faced a strangely shaky Flyers group all over the place with no solid goalies. And Tampa was a cinderalla team that should not have been there. Boston advanced by staying in Julien's system, avoid the mystakes, play safe. While the Canucks had to kill themselves to get where they were. It was trench wars in all the games i've seen in the west with grit, skills, speed.

In my opinion the Habs should model themselves of the team in the west, aim higher.
I agree, the East sucks worse than it ever has. There's no way a club of Boston's calibre makes it on a 'normal' year. They have spectacular goaltending and good D. That was good enough to take them this far this season but most years they'd have been blown away long ago.

As for Philly... it's such a mystery to me as to why these guys NEVER have a goalie. It's almost like us with our perpetual search for a number one center. You'd think that both clubs could've solved this problem by now.
Quote:
The Habs were one of the best puck possession clubs in the East this year. You could have put them in the Central and their numbers wouldn't have looked out of place at all.
No doubt due to Gomez who was spectacular with the puck advancing through the neutral zone. Then of course once he came across the blueline it was another story...

But hey, he had the puck for a good long while!
Quote:
They were clearly one of the better clubs in the East (though not better than Washington) and clearly much superior to Boston.
Thomas is having a mad year one of the best ever for a goalie. Not suprising that he was able to beat so-so teams. He didn't have to face a powerhouse though and I think if they did they get smoked.

He's got the chance to prove us wrong though, Vancouver certainly qualifies as a powerhouse.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 06-02-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote